Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/322/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
I forgot, as yesterday was the last day of the month ... I added up my steps and I did 117,792 steps in the month of May
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Wow! Cindym, that is Awesome! I will start tracking them too. You are an inspiration.
Today I have 5500 steps
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oncloud9now2
Start Date: 5/27/13
Yay, cindy!
oncloud9now2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Autumn
Stats: Restart: 263/246/199 (1st Goal)
WOE: Low Sugar/Low Processed Foods
Start Date: March 2014
CindyM That's great!
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Cindy, that is fantastic!!

I was 189.8 this morning! I lost 3 lbs. So I've reached my goal already for this challenge (which was to get back into the 180's), so my new goal is to stay here and not go back into the 190's at all.

This tells me that I will NOT keep losing unless I plan my meals and watch my calories. Can't argue with cold hard data. I just need to DO THE PLAN.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LoCarbingMe
Stats: 285.6/265.6/??
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 6/29/14
Congrats Cindy and Vilya!!

I'm .6 pounds away from losing 15 so far. I'm hoping to see that gone tomorrow or Tuesday.

Has anyone here tried Linda Sue's Coney Island Chili Dog Pie? I took ground beef out and have all the stuff I need to make it, but I'm not sure if I'll like it...
LoCarbingMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Doing good so far. I had to go out for ice this morning and really wanted to get a McDonalds breakfast biscuit. It took all my focus to not pull into that drive thru. I kept saying to myself how it would derail me even if I only ate half. Whew, glad I got thru that one. I ended up being thirsty and now feel good that I did not cave to junk food. This was an old habit of mine on the weekends to get breakfast at McDonalds if we were relaxing and didn't want to cook. I have not done that in over 10 months but the thought jumped right in my brain this morning. Old habits are really hard to break!

Cindy- I would question if anyone went in my home office while they were visiting. I say screw being perfect for other people! I hope the party is fun and your hubby gets a chance to relax and enjoy it.

Mary- That extruded chicken "pasta" sounds like it could be really great or really terrible! If someone tries it I would like to know how it turns out.

Lowcarbingme- I love to grill salmon on my little George Forman grill. Takes about 3 minutes. I just season the filet on both sides and pop it on, no oil needed. Comes out great every time. We also like to cook salmon on a cedar plank on the grill.

Michele- I still drink a few caffeine free diet cokes a week (stupid cause it is just brown fizzy water without the caffeine!). It is something I have given up in the past for a few years but right now I am not ready to do it. If I see it impacting my weight loss I'd drop it in a minute. Also you gotta be careful about the Dreamfields as there is a lot of controversy over their low carb claims. You can probably search the Main Lobby for some old threads on this and I think there are some blogs about it like Considering The Reliability Of The Dreamfields Pasta ‘Low-Carb’ Claim « Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog. Although many people have no issues with Dreamfields it does make me be a little wary of it.

Last edited by Phranquie; 06-02-2013 at 08:47 AM..
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Vilya Congratulations on ALREADY succeeding on your July 4th Goal!! I like your signature 'I reached the beautiful town of Onederland...' LOL...Is it as beautiful as it was in the 90's?? LOL...Wow...great progress....
Old 06-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
Start Date: May 29, 2013
Great job cindym! I have a fitbit too and love it.

Congrats vilya for reaching your goal. I so understand that "don't gain" philosophy. If I'm not losing, I like to at least hold my current position.

Good luck LoCarbingMe! I misread your post at first. I thought you typed SIX lbs by tomorrow or Tuesday lol.

Phranquie and Michele, I have had varying levels of success with Dreamfields. The spaghetti and fettuccine were fine. Even the lasagna was fine after a reheat. Something was not right about the rigatoni twice. I cooked them all al dente so the only thing I could come up with is that maybe the lemon juice (which I used with the rigatoni only) damaged the protective coating. It's made me a bit skeptical about all of their products.
SouthernBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Dreamfields is a total scam, in my opinion. I'm a diabetic, and my blood sugar will shoot up exactly the same with Dreamfields as it would with any other pasta. Plus, I have heard that if you cook it too long, or re-heat it the next day, all the "protective" coating is lost and it ends up being regular pasta anyway.

If it affects my BG the same as any other pasta, there's no way it's low carb. If you're going to eat pasta, you might as well just eat regular and not shell out the extra cash for Dreamfields.

Edit: Just to be fair, I have heard other diabetics say that it does NOT affect their BG as much as regular pasta. For what it's worth...
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.

Last edited by Vilya; 06-02-2013 at 12:28 PM..
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

I saw Rocco deSpiritu prepare a pasta made out if raw chicken breast. Here's the recipe. Has anyone tried it?

Rocco DiSpirito's Pasta al Pomodoro

Before:
17 grams of fat
840 calories

After:
6 grams of fat
133 calories

Ingredients
3/4 cup ice
3 tablespoons egg white powder
6 ounces cold chicken breast, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
7 cloves garlic, sliced thin
1 pinch red chili flakes (pepperoncino)
2 cups whole fresh ready to burst ripe tomatoes, cut into large dice
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
16 leaves of fresh basil, torn by hand into small pieces
Yields: 4

Preparation

Boil 4 quarts of water in a large pot. Once the water is boiling add 2 tablespoons of salt. Preheat broiler. Place the ice and the egg white powder in the beaker of a blender, and blend on low speed until all the powder has dissolved, then add the chicken breast and blend on high speed until smooth and glossy. Place the contents of the blender into a squeeze bottle and set in the refrigerator.

Pour the olive oil into a large nonstick sauté pan and then lay out the garlic slices in one even layer over the top of the pan. Place the pan over medium to high heat and cook the garlic until it begins to brown, then move the pan to the middle rack of the oven under the broiler to continue to brown the top of the garlic, about 1 minute. Place the pan back on the stove and add red chili flakes and half the basil leaves, cook for 15 seconds and then add the tomatoes. Cook the tomatoes over medium heat until the sauce comes to a simmer and let cook until the sauce has slightly thickened but still loose, about 2 minutes. Add half of the cheese and stir it completely into the sauce and turn off the stove and season lightly with salt and fresh ground black pepper.

Turn the boiling water down to low heat and squeeze the chicken mixture out of the squeeze bottle in a steady stream into the boiling water into strands the same length as spaghetti, about 10 inches until there is no more room on the surface of the water. Let the noodles cook for 30 seconds then remove them with a strainer or spider, set them aside in a bowl and repeat until all of the chicken mixture is used.

Add the noodles to the pan and turn the heat to medium high heat. Toss the pasta to coat evenly with a heat resistant rubber spatula and cook until the sauce begins to cling to the noodles. Add the remaining basil and check seasoning. Plate the pasta on four separate plates and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Tip: Use a store-bought, fat free, no added sugar marinara sauce and you can make this meal in less then 10 minutes.

Per Serving:
133 calories, 6.17g fat (2g sat, 3g mono, 1g poly), 6.25mg cholesterol, 114.75mg sodium, 4.575g carbohydrates, 1.1g fiber, 13.05g protein

Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
Start Date: February 4, 2013
Hello everybody! Just checking in....nothing much to report here. I know I used the Dreamfields pasta before when on Atkins but not very often....I think it's one of those things that people metabolize differently .
Actually got out for some Geocaching yesterday....great fun and good exercise!
Still crossing my fingers that I will be in the 280's by June 13th...scale said 292.6 this morning so it is do-able but TOM will show up in that time period and I always gain water weight ..that depresses me!

Have a great afternoon/evening ladies
Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Michele I had to look up Geocaching...lol. I think I did try that once years ago....I don't think we found our target. LOL...whoops, but we did do a lot of walking.

Still looking forward to 4th of July goals...difficult to say right now how fast of a pace I will lose once I move to OWL, but my new goal for the 4th is to be in the 220's

Happy Monday!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stress is crazy high right now. My BF's 93 year old mom broke both bones in her leg back in Dec and has had a big metal structure with 6 pins going in her leg since then. She was in the hospital twice and has been bed ridden. Last Friday I took her to the doc for some pre-op tests to get the pins out of her leg this week. Instead they admit her to the hospital run lots of tests and tell us she is riddled with cancer in her bones, liver and probably lung. So we have made the decision to not do anything else but make her comfortable. It will mean round the clock care. They will transport her home tomorrow and they don't think she'll live a month since she is not eating. Hopefully we can get some hospice care to help out because my BF works two jobs to support her and all the care and daily management of her health will fall on me since I have a flexible schedule. I am such a stress monkey. But I am not going to give in to the little voice in me that tells me to eat a bunch of craptastic food.

Mary- That recipe sounds really good with all the garlic and basil. Let us know how it turns out.

Michele- You can do it! Plan your meals and eat really clean, no packaged stuff or franken foods. Eat only until you are satisfied and no more. Drink lots of water, yanno, all the basics.

Vilya- I do find that planning meals and weighing foods and logging them has been crucial to my weight loss. Congrats on meeting your goal.

Lowcarbingme- Did you try the coney dog recipe? I love hot dogs and chili so let me know how you liked it.

Cindy- WTG on the awesome amount of steps for the month. Just fantastic! So how was the party for your MIL?

Last edited by Phranquie; 06-03-2013 at 11:42 AM..
Old 06-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

I did try the receipt but I wasn't too impressed. It was okay, but not something I'll make again. I have 3/4 of an 8 X 8 pan left and trying to talk myself into eating it for dinner tonight...
Old 06-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Phranquie I'm very sorry about boyfriends Mother. That is a very difficult situation...ANYBODY would be stressed. It's good that you are taking care of yourself so you can be strong to support your Boyfriend and take care of the details of health management for his Mother. That is a VERY stressful job. **Hugs**

Last edited by Autumn; 06-03-2013 at 12:24 PM..
Old 06-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

So sorry Frankie. I've been there and it's so stressful. Hospice is wonderful. Used it with my mama. My MIL was put in a hospice facility that was very nice too. Look at your options and be sure to keep your BF and yourself in good health. You can't help her if you are run down. My prayers are with y'all.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #78
Blabbermouth!!!

Frankie, sorry to hear of the turn of events with your BF's mother. Will keep you all in prayer.

LoCarbingMe, the recipe you tried, was it the chicken spaghetti or something else? I was hoping I could find someone who loves to cook try it.

I will look around for the ingredients and give it a go!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Monday ~ Party was good - finally stopped raining and actually had some sunshine! I ended up getting office clean even though no one went in.

Thank you everyone for the positive comments. I'm feeling stronger with the walking. Now to turn that into pounds gone

Time for weekly check in.

1. Post everyday. Everyday except Sunday
2. Walk 25,000 steps per week. Weekly steps were 26,447
3. Drink more water. Not so good
4. Weekly Progress Report (every Monday)Done

Vilya on reaching your goal early

LoCarbingMe ~ Too bad the recipe didn't turn it, it sounded good.

Frankie ~ So sorry to hear about your boyfriend's Mom. Have you considered a Hospice?

Thanks LovelyBelle

SouthernBelle ~ What is a fitbit?

Mary ~ Good luck with the new recipe.

Michele ~ My brother loves geocaching
Old 06-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #80
Blabbermouth!!!

Southernbelle, curious minds want to know.

I have a watch that counts steps, pulse and calories burned
Old 06-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Hey all. Long day but I'm finally home.

Fitbit is a wireless activity aka a fancy pedometer.

I first bought the Fitbit Zip around a month ago; it tracks steps, distance, and calories burned.. I loved it but still decided to return it for the Fitbit One mainly because in addition to the Zip's features, it tracks flights of steps climbed (I have to take 4 flights up just to get from my front door to the car) as well as hours of sleep. Also, it has an alarm and easier to read display.

I just keep the little furble thing plugged into my laptop and whenever I pass by it reads the stats and uploads them to the fitbit website. You can also update using your smartphone if it's a newer model.

The size is small so I normally just clip it to the inside of my bra. It syncs with a food logging site I use as well as a couple of reward sites which is one less thing to log woohoo!

It's free to use their Website, but they also have a premium version that I see no reason to upgrade to.

I'd list all the links but that's not allowed here, is it?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:48 AM   #82
Blabbermouth!!!

That's right, Southernbelle.
When my watch dies, I will look into it.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
That's right, Southernbelle.
When my watch dies, I will look into it.
LOL! My memory went first.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Belle- Would you mind giving us an idea of price? I have a Smartphone 4.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncloud9now2 View Post
Belle- Would you mind giving us an idea of price? I have a Smartphone 4.
I got them from Amazon. The Zip was $49.00 (the one I returned), and the One was $89.00 - free shipping for both of course.

I set my goal to be 10,000 steps a day and 7 floors a day, and I just pulled May's report: 428,465 steps, 303 floors, and184.87 miles.

Considering how sedentary I was less than two months ago, this is a minor miracle lol. This is my first pedometer and I must say I find the tracking quite motivating.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for all the well wishes. I have been trying for a couple of days to get hospice support but she does not have insurance so it is tough. The social worker at the hospital is great and is trying to get the help through her connections. Evidently hospice organizations in this area are for profit. I did locate a medical bed that will be delivered tomorrow and I have arranged for medical transport home. I am doing a lot of hand holding and comforting yesterday and today when she cries and is in pain. This is a bit weird because she has not liked me very much for the past 8 years (she tells me that her son is hers, and will never be mine, kinda weird but she is old school so I have never said anything) but now that I am the one to care for her she is much nicer to me and all the negativity is gone.

SouthernBelle- Wow, your walking stats are fantastic!!!! I agree that tracking the steps makes me motivated to walk more, park farther out in the lot and just get up off my butt.

Cloude9- I have a Fitbit Zip I got on sale at Target for $35. For the price it is a good little device and works with my laptop. I really want a Jawbone Up which is a wrist band that does similar things as the Fitbit One or the newer Fitbit Ultra. I am afraid I will wash the One/Ultra because it clips to your clothes. I am waiting for the upgrades to the Up to sync with my laptop or my android phone before I invest int it.

Cindy- Looks like you are really doing great with your goals. Glad the party went well for ya,,,and now you have a clean office,,,lol!

Lowcarbingme-Too bad the Coney dog recipe was not as good as you hoped. I bet there are plenty out there that you will like, you just gotta search around. I saw a recipe for an asparagus quiche with a crust made from spaghetti squash. Some people are so creative when cooking LC, I would have never thought to do that crust. I am tempted to try this one for my BF who loves spaghetti squash.

Last edited by Phranquie; 06-04-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Old 06-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
Start Date: February 4, 2013
Hello everybody!!! Love to see everyone sticking to it and doing some exercising...I'm looking into the fitbit and jawbone up...need something to show me that I'm not getting enough exercise I'm leaning towards the jawbone ....I love the fact that you don't have to clip it anywhere...just wear it on your wrist.....thanks Frankie & Southernbelle or telling us about these fabulous trackers!! I LOVE this website and all the wonderful people and information you guys provide!!!

Scale read 292.0 this morning I'm getting there!!

Have a great evening ladies!!!
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

I'm not too upset about the recipe! I love to just cook main dishes and do better that way. When I start to wonder into recipes, I find that I go off plan more. Not sure why, but that's usually the case.

Linda Sue has a few recipes that I really like. I love her jalapeno cheese appetizer. I eat that like bread Plus, it makes me drink TONS of water, so it's win-win! lol

All this talk about exercise reminds me that at Christmas I bought a watch that keeps track of your steps. I might pull that out and get it going to see what my average steps are each day. I'll try to increase that daily.

I just had a GREAT dinner at Long Horn Steakhouse!! It was so yummy and I stayed on plan...no bread or potatoes! Yeah me
Old 06-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #89
Blabbermouth!!!

How would you mKe a spaghetti crust? That really sounds neat.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Another day done .... my event is on Sunday and basically things are going to get crazy.

SouthernBelle ~ Wow, that is awesome

Frankie ~ Sad she is in pain but good that she is finally being nice to you.

Michele ~ you are doing fabulous!

LoCarbingMe ~ Way to go staying "on plan"

Mary ~ How are you and how are things going with DD?
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote