LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: acburleson
Stats: 5'8" 250 lbs. Goal-150 lbs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 25, 2013
I have exactly 100 lbs to lose!

Hello everyone! I am starting Atkins today to lose 100 lbs. My decision came as I was reviewing my recent vacation photos and had that "OHMYGOD, that's me?!?" moment. I mean, I knew I was heavy, but DANG, even my "cute" outfits looked horrible and it really had a negative impact on my emotional well-being! I say this to ask: What was your "OHMYGOD!" moment and what are you using as motivation to stay on track?

God bless ya'll and good luck on your weight-loss!
acburleson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Autumn
Stats: Restart: 263/252/199 (1st Goal)
WOE: Low Sugar/Low Processed Foods
Start Date: March 2014
I also wouldn't mind to be 150 again (and I remember thinking I was fat at 150.....pfffft ) My OMG moment....oh I've had lots....LOL....but this year I have noticed that my lower stomach has been sagging more and more...a noticeable difference when I look in the mirror. Seeing how my stomach just droops...like it has given up. For years I have just kinda ignored the weight for the most part...thats how I got by...but I couldn't ignore my stomach sag. I didn't get back on Atkins right away...but I'm back now!

Welcome acburleson!

Last weigh in at Doctor's Office- June 3rd 2014
Next weigh in at Doctor's Office- September 2nd 2014
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I have to say that photos have done it for me!
I try to avoid photos (that should me something, eh?), but sometimes others take them and I look. They show me in a way I don't see myself in my mirror in the morning, and in contrast to other people.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
The biggest motivator for me is knowing that you don't see many obese older people around because obese people (and especially super morbidly obese people like me) die at a younger age. As I age I know physically things will get more difficult and my weight was already impacting so many parts of my life in a negative way that I did not see a very bright or happy future for myself. Having a hard time going up flights of stairs, getting winded walking for more than a short stroll, having swelling feet and ankles after being on my feet for a day, losing good coordination and balance with such a large body, having a hard time getting up and down from the floor, having numbness in my arms when I slept, feeling like my breasts would smother me when I would lay down, having a difficult time in tight fitting bathroom stalls and getting cramps in my stomach and back muscles trying to contort myself to make sure I was "clean" are some of the physical issues my weight was causing me. Somehow I did not have diabetes, heart issues, high blood pressure or other serious health issues related to being obese, but I knew they were probably right around the corner for me. I am now motivated to live a healthy lifestyle where I can move without pain or tremendous effort and I can age without being trapped by a body that won't function properly purely from being too large. I want to be able to do the things I want to do for as long as possible and that motivates to learn how to keep the weight off for the coming years.

Of course another bit of motivation is to look better and to be able to wear the clothes I want in the styles I want and not just have to settle for cheaply made poorly designed and ill fitting clothing I dislike because they are the only things I can find to cover my body.

I too had avoided all photos and even started avoiding public gatherings and parties because I was so embarrassed about how I let myself go. I was also finding that even my "biggest" size clothes were not fitting and getting ready for a party or outing was becoming an emotional ordeal often ending with tears and self loathing. I would agonize and dread social gatherings because of shame and embarrassment about how I looked. I am now getting to a point where I feel more comfortable in my albeit loose skin and don't worry or stress about how I appear to others because I feel good about myself. I am also now looking forward to socializing and seeing people I have not seen in a while. Not feeling ashamed or embarrassed is liberating and feeling good about myself is strong motivation to stay on track and never give up.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
Photos did it for me too. We went on a vacation to the Bahamas last February. I was determined that I was taking pictures because I never have any and didn't want the moment to go undocumented. I even had some of the whole family framed. I stared at that picture of myself for two months, not believing that I actually looked like that. I credit that picture for waking me up to the reality of my problem. Even though I still have a ways to go, I can now get in photos without freaking out.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oncloud9now2
Start Date: 5/27/13
Frankie- I see so much of my feelings and emotions in what you posted. I had to sit here a while and reflect before I could post. A person who has not gone through this can never understand the worthless and hollow feelings we have just because of our bodies. I've been telling my husband I don't want to fly anywhere because of the new precautions the airports take but that's not it at all. I'm dreading the whispered asking for a seat belt extender. I could usually squeeze in but the last time I had to ask for one. I haven't flown since. So many areas of our lives are affected that we don't want to talk about. The bathroom experience you mentioned is one. I heard an overweight friend refer to it as a 'circus act.' The truth hurts sometimes. I am so thankful there is a place like this where we can be understood. Thank you for posting and I hope others do the same. I believe it will be part of the healing process.
oncloud9now2 is offline   Reply With Quote