LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Elle66
Stats: 260
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: May 2013
New and Struggling

So pleased I have found this site, spent most of the afternoon reading and picking up good tips.

After a lifetime of full on carbs morning noon and night, oh and not to mention the carb filled snacks inbetween I decided to give this low carb thing a damn good shot.

Totally and completed de-carbed my house, my son will not have to buy anything for weeks. My logic being if it is not here I cannot have it.

Well I am into my third day and boy am I suffering today, muzzy head, headache, tired and generally feeling downright low. Generally I am a get up and go person and really hate feeling this way. How long does this low carb flu type thing last for?

Would like to know how you dealt with it

Im in for the long haul and look forward to making a shed load of new friends who are on the same road as me....
Elle66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
have you lost a bunch of weight already? generally that feeling comes from sodium depletion as your body loses the water at the start of low carbing. make sure to drink some broth or salt your food and see if you feel better. good luck.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
Push past! It's about to get so good! You can do it! I check in here if I start to think about carbs. In the beginning I ate lc food every time I thought about carbs. You'll start to feel so good very soon!
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
I second what Ravenrose wrote about the broth - in a lot of people, the "low-carb flu" is associated with not getting enough sodium.

Back during the lat 1870s, an Arctic explorer wrote: ""When first thrown wholly upon a diet of reindeer meat, it seems inadequate to properly nourish the system, and there is an apparent weakness and inability to perform severe exertive fatiguing journeys. But this soon passes away in the course of two or three weeks.""

In other words, you're not the first person to feel under the weather going low carb - but it does go away!

Good luck!
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I agree with the others, eat salty foods, drink broth, and get plenty of water. The worst will be over soon, then you'll feel much better!
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Welcome Elle! You'll push past the flu feeling soon and then you'll be on your way beyond the heavy carb cravings. You'll find you'll lose a good bit of weight the first two or three weeks and then BAM! you think things are broken the next few weeks when the scale is not moving at all. Hold tight as this is something that is normal and happens to almost everyone. Once you get past this stage you'll be back losing again so don't get discouraged.

I would find a daily thread or two that appeals to you and join it so that people can get to know you. This is where you'll get some get advice, support and motivation when you need it the most. Good luck on your journey!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luckyone2934
Stats: 220/159(158)/where i'm comfy
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2003
How are you doing now?
Luckyone2934 is offline   Reply With Quote