Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Century Club (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/)
-   -   Preparation for Atkins induction? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/803561-preparation-atkins-induction.html)

Raphaelalava 05-07-2013 06:28 AM

Preparation for Atkins induction?

Hey all, I'm new here.
I'm at 240 maybe 250lbs (going to buy a scale soon)
5'9 1/2"

My aunt told me about low carb dieting, and she taught me a whole lot about it, so now, I'm planning on starting tomorrow, the Atkins induction. Now, before I do this. Do I jump into it? Shock my body and all that, or is there some kind of necessary preparation? If so please enlighten me.

Also, I am a little hypertensive, so if you're going to recommend food, please recommend the ones that don't raise the BP drastically :) thanks.

Patience 05-07-2013 06:36 AM

Congratulations on your decision.
I'd say
1 Read Atkin's book (there are several versions, but you could probably start with which ever one you get you hands on)
2 Clear your cupboards of unacceptable foods and start shopping with a list of acceptable foods
3 Come to this site and ask questions about things you are not sure of.

biancasteeplechase 05-07-2013 03:57 PM

A possible 4. Stock up on some broth!

While we normally think of sodium as something we get too much of, when you start low-carb, you lose a lot of water weight - which can send the wrong signals to your body, so it starts preparing for a sodium shortage. This can cause what's called the "low-carb flu" - the feelings of sickness some people get when they start.

While you'll want to check with your doctor if you're hypertensive, you might find that the sodium helps you feel better while *not* raising your blood pressure under these circumstances.

(Not everyone with hypertension is affected by salt - the recommendations that everyone avoid salt are intended to help that small minority of people.)

If you'd like more details, Gary Taubes's Why We Get Fat describes how sodium can interact with low carb in some people, and why the broth is a good idea.

Good luck!

Raphaelalava 05-07-2013 05:57 PM

Thanks a heap guys, just started on breakfast. Ill try to grab broths in the market.

Patience 05-08-2013 04:48 AM

Check the labels on the broths, most have added sugar and you want to avoid that if you can.

zay 05-08-2013 04:56 AM

You need to keep a close eye on your BP starting now. Most peoples BP drops and need adjustments on meds.

cfine 05-08-2013 08:24 PM

Yes please keep an eye on your BP. Mine got way too low once I started on low carb. I am not totally off my BP meds, but I'm down from 100mg to 37.5mg. Once you start lowing your dose, it's a good incentive to keep it up. I know if I quit eating this way I will have to start upping the meds again and I SO do not want to have to do that. Also I was able to quit my diabetes meds which was wonderful.

oncloud9now2 05-25-2013 04:15 PM

Thanks for advice on salt. I will be restarting after 8 years. My doctor said no salt for me as I have swelling in ankles and lower legs. I think I will have some and just not over do it.

ShellyBelle 06-20-2013 10:09 AM

Watch your BP - mine fell to 88/50 and I'm on THREE BP medications. My doctor has since adjusted my meds and I'm only on ONE now :)

LauraDavis 06-23-2013 02:46 AM

defienitly go to the store and check your pressure. Mine also dropped way low to 76/59. I couldn't see straight was pale and sweating felt faint and was dizzy.... I went home from work, lost my vision 3 times on the way, fell into bed and slept for 6 hours before I could get up and function. The 76/59 was after all that so not sure how low it got before that. I started at 40mg of my meds and am down to 10mg now... a few more pounds and I shouldn't even need that. My current bp without meds is 130/95. I'm at 32# lost now so it's only gonna get better.

SouthernBelle 06-23-2013 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphaelalava (Post 16412944)
Hey all, I'm new here.
I'm at 240 maybe 250lbs (going to buy a scale soon)
5'9 1/2"

My aunt told me about low carb dieting, and she taught me a whole lot about it, so now, I'm planning on starting tomorrow, the Atkins induction. Now, before I do this. Do I jump into it? Shock my body and all that, or is there some kind of necessary preparation? If so please enlighten me.

Also, I am a little hypertensive, so if you're going to recommend food, please recommend the ones that don't raise the BP drastically :) thanks.

Hi Raphael and :welcome:

HPB runs in my family so although I'm not hypertensive, I keep try to keep an eye on the amount of sodium I consume. I've been officially low-carbing for about a month now and had my bp checked Thursday and it was 110/70 (normal for me). Soooo, there was no drop or rise for me, but I did notice that everyone in here who said they had the dramatic drop is on meds. (I do avoid cold cuts, canned meats, etc.)

Good luck and you'll do fine with the plan. I know very few people who say they don't like low carb foods and most of those really just seem to want some high carb with their low carb lol.

They've given some good tips for prep. I'd also say make sure you have something low carb to snack on while you're acclimating yourself. My normal go to snacks like carrots rack up the carbs rather quickly. I kept a rotisserie chicken and string cheese in the fridge to tide me when I wanted a quick yet satisfying no fuss snack.

oncloud9now2 06-23-2013 06:51 AM

Good advice SouthernBelle!:)

Sequins 07-18-2013 03:13 PM

Just checking in to see how Atkins is going for you.