Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Century Club (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/)
-   -   New and confused! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/803495-new-confused.html)

Katie1894 05-05-2013 10:35 PM

New and confused!

Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself and also ask a few questions about my recent choice to go low carb.
I'm a 28yo Aussie, I weigh 139kg (306lbs) *sad face* and I'm 6ft tall.... I started my weight loss journey in February. So far I've lost 16.3kg (35lbs) with calorie counting. I have PCOS with insulin resistance so, after much research, have decided to give low carb a go, or more precisely LCHF. Still counting calories of course. Currently my limit for cals is 1800.
Just wondering... How many grams of carbs should I be consuming each day to actually classify as low carb? Some sites say 20g, some say 100g, I've been averaging between 30g and 60g for the last week.
On top of that, what are the best goals for protein and fat? I've been averaging 10-20% carbs, 50-60% fat and the remainder in protein.
Help! There is so much contradictory info out there!
Thanks heaps!
~Katie :)

Mona 05-06-2013 03:31 AM

Hi Katie. Welcome aboard! :welcome:

The thing is, there are many different types of LC plans. If you are following Dr. Atkins, then you are supposed to go with 20 carbs for the first 2 weeks (Induction) and then each week after that add 5 grams of carbs until you find the zone where you drop out of ketosis and stop losing (easier said than done-LOL). A lot of people just stick with 20-30 carbs during their ongoing weight loss phase. 100 is considered a somewhat LC diet compared to the super high carb that most people eat, but honestly I think your weight loss would be very slow and discouraging.

Your ratios seem fine to me. You have it right...this is not a high protein diet, it's an adaquate protein, high fat diet. :D There are lots of "protein counter" type websites out there. You can punch in your stats and I think it will give you a good ballpark of how much protein you should be eating.

Congrats on the weight you have lost so far! :yahoo: Hope to see you around.

~PaperMoon~ 05-06-2013 04:18 AM

Hi Katie! :welcome: Nothing more to add just want to say welcomg and what she said. :up:

biancasteeplechase 05-06-2013 06:37 AM

As others have said, there's no single consensus even among the experts, which makes things confusing.

I like Gary Taubes's books because I'm impressed with how solid his research is. He recommends 20 grams of carbs per day, mostly from vegetables. So that's where I started.

As for protein and fat ratios, I don't think there's enough research right now to determine what's absolutely optimum. The one thing to watch out for is that protein triggers an insulin response - not nearly as much as carbs, but enough that it can affect the rate of weight loss in some people.

I highly recommend checking out Taubes's books if you haven't already - start with Why We Get Fat, since it's the quicker and easier read. It'll give you some grounding in the chemistry of low-carb, and that'll help you sorting through the contradictory stuff out there.