Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeriouslyFunny
Stats: 294/xxx/165
Start Date: April 2013
Hello, Century Club!

I thought it would be nice to say hello, hiya, how are you. I'm here to make myself accountable -- honestly, my tendency is to read posts and not participate, but I know that if I'm invisible, I give myself a pass to stray from the path.

A number of years ago, I lost a bunch of weight on Atkins. Then life intervened; I developed severe osteoarthritis in both my hips, and working out was a nightmare. Then I got them replaced, one after the other. This happened in my early 40s, and lemme tell you, nothing feels as AWESOME as doctors saying, "I assumed from your X-rays the age was a mistake. These are the hips of an 80-year-old." Yay, me.

Off track, the weight started creeping back up. Then I knocked some of it back down again. Then my (always healthy, never overweight, super active) husband had health issues of his own, starting with kidney failure, then heart surgery six months after that. Yes, my super-healthy husband who never went to a doctor because he was always super-healthy was, we now know, suffering from extremely high blood pressure and it destroyed some of his organs. So GET YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE CHECKED, even if you feel good. Lesson learned.

The last 24 months, my focus has been on his health. And the rest of my lost weight crept back up. Ever try to put weight ON someone else while losing it yourself? Yeah, that's not a thing that happened.

Now he's doing well, our finances are in ruins, my life is still a giant ball of stress, but I need to take care of me now. That said, I still have my sense of humor and I feel pretty good most of the time. But I also still have the arthritic knee, and gravity doesn't like all this extra weight. Also, I'm older now, and I need all the energy I can wrangle. Also, I'm vain and I want to wear pretty clothes again.

So that's me. I started back today, and I have a long road ahead of me. I'm not strictly doing Atkins this time, but given all the additional reading I've done while NOT DIETING about low carb, Paleo, glycemic load, etc., I know what to do. I just have to, you know, actually do it.

So. One day at a time, first step is the biggest, etc. I do know that when I lost weight before, having the support of online friends was instrumental in keeping me on goal -- that, and tracking all my food. Hey, that program I used to use on the computer finally has an iPhone app!

So here I am. Thanks for allowing me into the club.
SeriouslyFunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Nice to have you with us. I am new here myself, but no longer a stranger.
Well, strange maybe . . .
Some one here has a tagline that says persistence and patience.
I am settling in for the long term with a focus on the day at hand (while planning for that day a day or two before hand).
Sounds you have a lot of challenges, so good for you on your restart!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 4, 2013
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Welcome! It is difficult coming to the realization that you finally need to do something for your health to make your day to day life less of a struggle, but I am happy for you that you are at this point and are educated and motivated. I would suggest that you join a daily thread so that people can get to know you and so that you can get the daily support, advice, information and motivation that we all need. Look through the threads and pick one or two that appeal to you. Jump in and introduce yourself and post daily. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeriouslyFunny
Stats: 294/xxx/165
Start Date: April 2013
Thanks for the welcome! I've been reading through the site, and looking for a good place to jump in. Especially today, when I'm going through the usual interesting Day Three weird body processes as I readjust off carbs. I remember this part -- I know it passes. But still, I feel both great and crappy at the same time.
SeriouslyFunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
The crappy feeling passes if you stick with it. Then the rewarding part happens as you enjoy what you are eating and see the pounds come off. Hang in there!
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
That's my experience too. Three weeks after my restart, everyday is more feel good and less feel bad. Mostly feel good now. I was a bit emotionally wobbly the first 10 or so days, but now my normal high anxiety is just cruising along a low altitude.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cuelgirl
WOE: atkins
Welcome!

I'm also on my way back to this website... I lost a lot of weight before, but it started to creep back on... so I am back )

Good luck!!!
Cuelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote