LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 03:50 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
The Memorial Day Challenge

Come join us on the Memorial Day Challenge. Think of the amazing things we can accomplish in 2 months!!! The rules are: No Rules! Feel free to join during any stage of this challenge!!!

Pick your own personal challenge based on whatever is important to you! and come report in whenever it suits you. Some will have a specific weight loss as a goal and some of us will have goals based only on desirable behaviors. We are all at a different place on this journey A goal could be as simple as coming in to post .. Think outside the box. What do **you** need to keep you going?

We Can Do This

MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 4, 2013
Count me in! Starting this challenge at 309lbs....My main goal is to be out of the 300's other then that....stay on plan and continue to lose this fat that is weighing me down from doing things I want to do!
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
I'm in! I'd like to keep the specifics of my goal more private but I am in it for weight loss and fitness. Mostly, I'm in it for sanity and making LC my WOE for life. And for weighing only once a month, to show myself that I know this is a process and not a quick weight loss plan! The scale has wrecked more days than I care to recall. I felt good until I saw a number I didn't like and then oftentimes I'd cheat because I was frustrated. Phooey!

So, let's kick some @$$!! Goodbye, March! HELLO APRIL!
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Cheryl- I'm old (71) but I 'dieted' for the first time when I was 14, and the advice in those days was to weigh only once a month. It was the best advice I ever had. We didn't own a scale back then, and I weighed myself at our local drugstore each month, on the first Friday of the month. It was great because it focused me on my eating rather than on a scale number. And each month I got to see a nice loss. Good luck with your plans!

Alas, my goals for this Challenge are the same as the last one because I failed so abysmally. It's nice that this is 2 months because my goals are in two parts, and I can focus on one goal each month as follows:

I've been struggling to get into my 'lower' maintenance range of 141-43, and I want to do that during the first part of this Challenge and maintain there for the remainder (I tend to get down but bounce right back up).

So my goal for this Challenge is to get into my preferred 'range' of 141-43 [April goal], and find my best WOE to remain there [May goal]/ .
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Big Yapper!

Old is a state of mind. I'm 50 and I'm the baby of my family. Now THAT'S old! I'm impressed that you are in the 140 range and used to be 340!!! I want to know more, please. Care to share?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Senior LCF member

No big story, Cheryl. I am extremely carb sensitive, something I never knew until Dr. A published in 1972. That 'diet' I mentioned when I was 14 was very successful. I lost 80 lbs in 6 months, mainly by almost starving myself because I'm an Italian American, and I don't have to tell you that ours was a carb-rich household--and almost immediately gained it all back because I had no notion at all of 'maintenance.'

I remained morbidly obese my entire life, mainly because when my weight would shoot up close to 300 and I was 'uncomfortable,' I'd diet to lose, but when I got down to 270 or so, I felt 'svelt' in comparison, got lazy, stayed there for a while and gradually gained again. I was great at maintaining in the 280 range. I assumed that I was just destined to be a 'fat person.' I wasn't happy with my weight, but I ignored it as much as possible.

I also had a busy professional life (college professor), but when I got a really stressful position, my weight just ballooned. I lived in denial by never getting on the scale, convincing myself that I was still in the 280s.

When I hit my highest weight (340s), I was miserable, and I finally weighed, and I think the shock of the number got me into taking weight loss seriously. I began low carbing (about a year before my retirement), and I became more and more invested in the process. I really think LCF helped a lot, knowing there were other people in my situation.

Unlike people who go on 'induction' and then add foods, I began by eliminating the major carbs, but I gradually got stricter and eventually eliminated all grains, dairy (except for butter), and all sweeteners (my body seems to process AS the same as sugar--and sweet things are a 'trigger' for me).

Since I was already post-menopausal, and soon diagnosed as also hypothyroid, I've had to watch both carbs and calories--still do--but I so enjoy being a 'normal' weight for the first time in my life that I'm determined not to regain. That's why I'm involved in this challenge. I'm 5 lbs from where I want to be--and I'm determined to get there--and stay there.

I don't feel the least deprived eating as I do, and my lab numbers are superb. At 71, the only Rx I take are my thyroid hormones.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Goal for this one is to keep walking and lose 4 lbs, God willing.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi y'all, i am having a problem with my Ipad and am unable to chg the avatar. Please don't be offended if you get the same msg until I can afford a new laptop.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I want to join in. I am in another Memorial Day challenge but people have quit posting. My goal is to be at 210lbs by Memorial Day. I do NK and go to the gym four times per week.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Big Yapper!

Leo, that's a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us. What a long struggle you've had with your weight. But to be finally in control of it at age 71 is something you should be tremendously proud of. It's the hardest thing to do in the world. 10 times harder than quiting smoking or alcohol because we have no choice but to eat and drink things or we'll die. It's SO easy to make the wrong choices. And we are just a bundle of chemicals, neurons and hormones, all waiting to explode!

I'm pretty tired right now. Went to work today (at a horse farm) and I'm worn out. Have a great evening. Ttyt.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
Big Yapper!

The more the merrier!!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cheesyjane
Stats: start......300.5 (highest ever)
WOE: Atkins (earlier version, 2002)
Start Date: April 2013
count me in!

I would love to join the challenge! I am going to go for a 10-15 pound loss! I think this challenge will help keep me honest and also I will post at least 3 times per week minimum. Best of luck to all of us!!!

Last edited by cheesyjane; 03-31-2013 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: error
cheesyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
I would like to join.GreatChallenge.
alabama sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
Big Yapper!

This is so cool! First time I ever joined a challenge thread that included all different dieting plans. This is going to be so interesting! Best of results to us all.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: groovygiirl
Stats: 301/261.6/200
Start Date: Feb 13, 2013
I have 2 goals for this challenge:

1. be at 30+ lbs lost total by May 11th (going on a plane and very much want to be more comfortable in the dreaded small seats)
2. figure out a WOE that encourages consistent weightloss. I only seem to lose if I do something like a Fat Fast and I hate doing those. I love lowcarbing but hate that I seem to maintain not lose weight on it.

Good luck everyone!
groovygiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:02 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

to all the new and oldtimers for this thread....Michele, Cheryl, Leo, CFine, Chasing Jane, Winifred, and Groovygirl

It seems that because I eat the same amounts of food and the same types of food, my weight loss is about 3/4 to 1 lb a week. Not much, but it adds up over time. I like to set conservative goals for weight because I would rather exceed the 4 lb goal than set a 8 lb goal and miss it by a lot. It's a head game for me, I guess.

Yesterday, I walked 10,000+ steps. If I can do 5,000 a day Mon-fri and 10,000 on Sat-Sun, I think I will be satisfied. Once it gets a little warmer out, it will be easier.

I signed up for a Prosperity Challenge where I have to read out loud a Properity Prayer or Affirmation each morning. I don't know what will be accomplished but I am game for something new.

The visit to my DD's was lovely. She was out of commission on Saturday with a wicked migraine from detoxing from the sugar and flour. Sunday she was back to her old self. If only, we could remember the pain we get coming off the sugar drug so we don't get caught into its cunning lies the next time. I religiously read labels and sugar can't be in the top 4 ingredients. If it is listed in a (), whatever is in the parenthesis counts as one ingredient. It is the only way for me to try to make sure I don't accidentally ingest too much of it.

We spent Easter mroning at Sandy Point Beach, located on the inner arm of Cape Cod. It doesn't have the shells that the outer banks do, nut we see seals, fishing ducks and found some beautifuk stones. We were looking for the pure white milky quartz type stones. She put them outside her window, a rock garden of sorts.we must have carried a 100 lbs or more of stones back and forth to the car.

Time to go to work..have a great April!
Old 04-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #17
Senior LCF member

Cheryl- I forgot to mention that I've been maintaining at about 145 for 2 years now. My goal for the Challenge is to get into my 'lower' range (141-43) where I feel really comfortable.

groovygirl- When you're just maintaining on low carb, my experience is that calories are the issue. Dr. A--and Gary Taubes--being men are not as aware of the fact that most women cannot eat without limits and lose weight--plan or no plan.

Women, with less muscle mass than men and typically smaller bodies, cannot eat at the same calorie level as men. Moreover, our bodies are designed for reproduction, and nature wants us to have some fat reserves. Stimulating loss is more difficult for women.

I stalled for almost 8 months before I realized that I needed to watch (and lower) calories. Even at my highest weight, I could not eat at the level a nutritionist advised and lose.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I'm in too, sounds like a reasonable amount of time and I like the flexibility of the goals. Mine are:

1. no alcohol
2. low carb Atkins (not watching calories too much at first . . .)
3. 17 minutes of exercise (this and a few other parts of the 17 day diet)

I've done this for 3 or 4 days, except for skipping my walk last night because of a rare fave TV show, but I am guessing my garden work was close to 17 minutes.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #19
Big Yapper!

Holy smokes! This is going to be a hard thread not to write lengthy personals on. There's so much to say to each of you and not enough hours in the day. Leo, I'm amazed that you are at 145 and maintaining for 2 years. I'm astonished, actually. Whatever it is you have, I want it. I started this journey at 235 and my goal was originally 140, but now if I'm going to "go for it", I'm shooting for 135. And I am indeed "going for it."

Mary, your beach excursions sound great! That's a lot of rock-hauling. I'm surprised there isn't a fine for taking rocks without paying a fee. New England tends to be a little "micro managed."

Leo, how many calories do you eat? You mentioned calories were a big matter for you. Maybe I need to figure on living my life the way you do, in order to maintain. I might get away with things that you can't get away with, but I think the more I learn from those who've done it and been there, the better off I'll be.

I'm on day 2 of Atkins Induction, though I'm not one who gets into counting days. I ate a nice breakfast but it was 1 pm. I sleep late; just my biorhythm I'm kind of cursed with. Definitely can't do mornings. Once in a while I'll wake up at a normal time and then it's a treat. Especially if it's sunny outside. (When that will be, I can only wonder.)

I need to get ready for work now but I'll check back in later. Have a super day!

Last edited by CherylB; 04-01-2013 at 11:05 AM..
Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
I am in! My goal for this challenge is to stick to plan and get down from 185 to 160. This is aggressive but I really need to push the continued weight loss. I am also committing to exercise for an hour 3 times a week minimum.

Leo and Mary- Nice to see some old faces again!
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/322/200
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Happy Easter Monday ~ Back to induction for me

I'm thinking about my goals for this challenge.

Mary ~ Thanks so much for starting another challenge and your time in Cape Cod sounds wonderful.

Michele ~ I love your focus

Cheryl, Cfine, Cheesyjane, Winifred, Bella ~ Looking forward to getting to know you.

Leo ~ Thanks for sharing your story again ~ I find it very very motivating.

Frankie ~ Nice to see you on this thread.

Groovy ~ Awesome that you are planning a holiday.
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the welcome . I have been at 222 for about three days now. I would really love to be at 216 by April 23. That will be my one year anniversary of when I started LCing and I want to have lost 60lbs by that time.

I really think I can meet my goal now that Passover is done. I ate out at three different people's house this past week and its really hard to eat totally on plan when that happens.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Phranquie, Bella and Cindym

...it's a busy day today at work...I stopped and bought D_n_ts for the team at work. I am the bad one as I bring it but don't eat it. The guys on the team love it. They are like my sons. The ladies always say I am not going to eat them but by the end of the day, they usually do. Luckily, I don't bring them every week.

Steps today will be close to 5k but if I don't walk around my house in a circle, I am not going to get there.

Cheryl, there are no fines for picking up common stones as there are millions of them there. Every day the tides come in, they bring new ones. There are fines for clamming but I would rather watch the seagulls do that and then they slam the clam or oyster on the sidewalk to smash the shell before they gobble it up.

Food went well today. I am still finishing off this meatloaf I made last week with pork, lamb, beef, eggs, TVP, flaxseed meal, tiny bits of carrot, red pepper, celery and portabellas for flavoring as my DH can't eat onion and garlic. I added turmeric, cilantro and black pepper. It was the tastiest meatloaf I ever cooked.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Thanks for the welcome Mary.Trying small steps ,small goals to stay on track.With God 1st my goal will be met.Enjoyed my Easter weekend my kids grilled,hubby cooked collard greens and I made mac and cheese and potato salad for them.Today went good having grilled chicken left is a treat for me,I also fixed cucumber and tomato salad with vinegar.Found a bargin on strawberries .98 a container so I cleaned those up today too.Be Blessed
alabama sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
Start Date: February 4, 2013
Glad to see some new faces for our new challenge! Weight was up a lb today....im guessing too much salt and not enough water...Ham does that to me! So today I made sure to drink plenty of water and keep moving on
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #26
Big Yapper!

Wow! I'm really diggin' this thread. I love that we're all doing our own thing but joining hands and sharing the journey. I wish I could write personals but it's almost 11pm and I'm pooped. Had a hard day in some ways. Very moody and feeling frustrated about my health issues and not knowing what to do in the now. I'll sleep on it and maybe tomorrow will be clearer.

On the other hand, I was perfectly on plan!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi all...winifred, God is my first goal too. With my priorities straight everything else falls into place...when I doubt what I should do next, the baby step is to just take the next right action. That always moves me along the journey in the right direction.

Groovygirl...do you have a first name you go by? Finding the right foodplan is the hard part...lots of experimenting. It took me 2-3 years back in 2003 to settle on the one I do now. I went from eating proteins and veggies whenever I felt like it to 3 meals a day. For me the reason was I had no control over the amount of food...I never seemed to get enough but knew I was eating plenty. A structured way for me allows me to get a fruit, raw and cooked veggies, fats and proteins. I have found my favorite meals over time and that works for me. I don't have to over-think the food too much...just plan it in the morning, have it in the house, and make sure it is precooked if I am going to be short on time. I cook on the weekends for the week, then it is just assembling it in the morning. Tuesday is my one day to be able to sleep in as I don't start work until 11 am but have to work to 8 pm, but get to do it at home today. Keep sharing so we can get to know you and be there for you. This group helped me through some rough times over the last month.

Cheryl...when I am moody and frustrated, I take a bedroom slipper day..that means I don't push myself to make drastic changes in my life, and minimally, just plan my meals for the day, so that they don't cause their own form of stress.

Bella...we don't bring alcohol into our house anymore because it makes my husband feel uncomfortable. It's been over 25 yrs. since he had a drink, but when he gets all nervous over something, that is what he thinks of...last fall, my SIL visited and brought her own drink and left it laying around in glasses in the family room the next day. She was a steady drinker, morning, noon and night. I asked my husband how he wanted to handle it, if it would be ok to ask her to not bring it in the house, and he said yes. So I explained to her, that out of respect to her brother, we don't bring alcohol products into the house and would she please not do it too. She was okay with that. It sort of like that with me and sugar and flour. For the longest while, I couldn't have it in the house...too tempting.

Michele...ham would do it to me too. DH won't eat ham with nitrates. It is hard to find it. Trader Joes had some signs outside their store near Easter but it was sold out and we were told they didn't expect anymore. He swears it is the nitrates that make him feel lousy.

Cfine...do you have a first name you go by? When we going visiting to other people's houses, we bring something we can all eat, but I also bring backup for myself. One time I trusted my SIL to offer salads as when I asked her what they were serving, she said grilled burgers and salads. But I couldn't eat the salads...they were macaroni, potato or sugar based. Luckily I had brought some fresh veggies I could make a salad out of. This has taken years of practice at different people's houses.

Phranquie...how have you been? You are looking great! I see you do mod carb and mod prot. In some ways, I guess I do too. I never thought of it that way before. But because I eat so many veggies and one fruit a day, I get probably 100 total carbs (70 net carbs) a day. The fiber is around 30 and I don't eat any grain or sugar. What is moderate protein...70-80?

Cindy...keep on trucking...a new day, a new beginning...that is what we all have...I love the saying that yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is the present...a gift!

Leo...you have such determination...a role model for me in maintenance...if we don't keep trying to stay within a certain window, what are the alternatives? To go back to where we were? I don't ever want to revisit the pain and heartache from those days.

Yesterday, I sat down with my boss and gave her the news....that I decided to have a "medical procedure" and would be out of work for 3-4 weeks at the end of April or early May. She told me who to see in HR to arrange for the short term disability. I need to have the actual dates to apply. The medical procedure is to have my neck, jaw, jowls and eyelids repaired from having lost over 200 lbs and kept if off for a good long time. For the first time in a long time, there will be no more hanging skin on my neck. It scares me...the possible scars, but I trust in God that this is the next right action as it is all falling into place. I'll let you know how it goes...please keep me in your prayers that day.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
What a great gift to yourself, Mary.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #29
Senior LCF member

Mary wrote:

"if we don't keep trying to stay within a certain window, what are the alternatives? To go back to where we were? I don't ever want to revisit the pain and heartache from those days."

This is SO true. I read once where those of us with lifetime weight issues need to be always in weight-loss mode--or we're gaining. And, like Mary, I never want to go back to where I was.

I've been finding myself prone to binge behavior recently (from my obese life), and it's something I need to control. When I was losing that never happened, so I know it's simply psychological. Deep down I've convinced myself that I can repair the damage, so I allow myself to binge. But I know that I can't continue this, so I need to 'change' my thinking.

Frankie--I've read that you need to eat low calories to lose--and that's my reality. I plan to eat similarly to get into my lower 'window'--my goal for this month.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You are such an inspiration, Leo. Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us.

Wow MaryMary! How exciting to be getting rid of some baggage my hubby has promised me a tummy tuck WHEN I lose this weight. He has always been my biggest fan. My name is Chris, btw.