Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Century Club
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Morning all, May 2 and I wake up to snow on the ground, and more than a little bit!
My house plants that I took outside are just going to have to cope or die as I am not lugging them inside (well, with one exception).

I am doing so much better than last week. Had some minor leg cramps last night, so plan to take a bit more P today. I need to focus on drinking water, too. I feel hydrated now but the night before last I was up all night with thirst. I must have fallen behind some how, but my guess is that my body was just making more demands to adjust to diet changes.

I am doing fine with no alcohol (prime directive one) and pretty darn good with eating (maybe a bit over on fat, but I am ok with that for a while as long as my clothes are feeling loser). Moderate exercise is my third priority and could do better but I am doing a lot of yard work, so I am thinking I am ok there. Sometime in May I plan to add some resistance training back into my schedule and start tracking food a bit better. I think I have a pretty good handle on what I eat, but records could be useful to better understand patterns and trends.

Feeling really good to be completing my 5th week on plan. Hope everyone has a great day. Check in when you can.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #242
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Bella, so happy it is all working for you.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 4, 2013
Great to see people coming back and posting!

Cindy: Missed you here! Glad to hear you are back and back on plan

I'm still plugging along here...nothing new to report

Have a wonderful evening ladies!
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #244
Blabbermouth!!!

I have to share a story. Today my hubby drove me home from my daughter's. We had no food to speak of in the house as my husband was with me the last 3 days. We stopped at Trader Joe's and picked enough so I could make a salad, cooked some veggies and have some yogurt. While we were checking out, a young Crew Member came up to me with a bouquet of flowers and I looked down and said "Oh! My, aren't they beautiful! So many colors." He said to me "They're for you!" I thought he was kidding. He wasn't. I have to wear this strap around my chin until the doctors says that we are all set and the young fellow wished me a speedy recovery. I couldn't believe it. I was a loyal follower before but today I had tears in my eyes. I just had to share this with you all.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

What a wonderful gesture Mary
Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/322/200
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Another day almost over. I couldn't wait .... I got on the scales this morning and thankfully I'm back to 317

Did have a very hungry day, which of course, is natural after making poor choices.

Arriella ~ Have fun camping. It hasn't been warm enough here for camping. In fact, there has been fresh snow on the mountains.

Thanks again Leo

Bella ~ 5 weeks is awesome. It has been snowing here too but only sticking on the mountains around us.

Thanks Michele

Great story Mary ~ thanks for sharing
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Arriella
Stats: 258.2/ 201.5/180.8 (goal #3)
WOE: Atkins http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-lo
mary..i love it when people act so king ..wish there were more people like that in the world.....Michelle its probally not quite warm enough here yet either but we are anxious and will bring warm clothes and sleeping bags...been in 60s during the day and high 30s at night still..
Arriella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #248
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Cindy- I'm glad you're back down in weight, but I also hear you about the 'hungries.' It's a shame that when I'm faced with a choice, I don't remind myself of the aftereffects of a poor choice because I really hate the return of my incredible appetite.

We're halfway through this Challenge--and I've reversed my goals. Initially, I wanted to get into my low range (141-43) in April and figure out how to stay there during May. However, my bout with the flu threw a curve into my plans, and I'm still at 145.

But during the process of dealing with the bloat from the flu, I've discovered the 'secret' to maintenance--really clean eating. Although I've maintained within a 3-pound range for 2 years, I have indulged too often in 'trigger' foods that led to overeating--and then used 'damage control' (hard-core weight-loss mode) to remain in range. I haven't been happy with this cycle.

During April, I realized that I control my weight well if I stay with my basic diet (fish, meat, eggs, veggies) and ignore the urge to add 'indulgences.' I'm not saying I'll never have something from the bread basket in a restaurant or order dessert, but those indulgences need to be something special and based on an informed choice--rather than a 'impulse eating.'

Now I plan to 'eat clean' for the rest of this Challenge with the goal of getting into my low range because I think I now know how to stay there.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Not too much new here this week. Still dealing with some bouts of vertigo but am hoping the episodes will lessen in the near future.

Bella- Awesome job on controlling your drinking and eating. I admire you for tackling two issues at once. I also add potassium if I ever get a leg cramp, it works well. And yard work is the best exercise and it is productive. I wish walking on the treadmill was productive!

Mary- How nice for someone to be so thoughtful. I wish I had a Trader Joe's closer to me but it is pretty far away in a section of town I rarely go. Have you ever tried their Bison burgers? I am trying to add protein and they have 43g per patty, but I was wondering how they taste.

Leo- So true about when we stick to plan and do not indulge in extras how it really works. Now we need to just wrap our minds around it. I am trying to get away from food as a "treat" mentality which is harder than I thought.

Cindy- I hope the hungries taper off soon. I get over them by eating my favorite LC foods, usually bacon and avocado which fill me up and totally satisfy. Looks like you are at your lowest in the last couple of months which is so awesome, keep up the good work!

Arriella- Have a good time and definitely keep warm at night!

Michele- Keep on plugging!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #250
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Frankie- In two years of maintenance, that's the problem I didn't expect--to be haunted by thoughts of 'treat' foods. But it's the major challenge I've experienced. I had no such problems during weight loss, and I'm convinced that this is the natural effect of any substantail weight loss as is described in the literature.

Those 'thoughts' come from what's called our 'lower brain,' that part of our brain that is conditioned by our heritage to consider weight loss a danger because we can't survive a famine. The fact that we don't have to worry about famine these days (my supermarket is open 24/7!), doesn't register with our body. So having all those empty fat cells, the body's goal is to refill them.

One way is to 'urge' us to overeat, and since that voice is our own, it can be really convincing. I'm learning that the only way to deal with this is to mentally 'fence off' treats (as I did during weight loss), and when the thoughts occur, dismiss them as quickly as possible, reminding myself that I don't eat those things--period.

I'm becoming more aware--my goal is to also be more effective in banishing those thoughts.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Friday!!! Had a great afternoon with my hubby....we went out for lunch, then went grocery shopping...as we were leaving the store we heard an Ad on the radio that there was a truck parked at our mall selling ribeyes for 20 for $25 .... So had to go check that out....they suckered us into spending $200 ...lol....I hope it's good meat...it looks good anyway and it is a company that has been round for 20 yrs so can't be all bad.

Have a great evening ladies!!
Old 05-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #252
Blabbermouth!!!

Today my DH had his appt with his surgeons and is cpscheduled for surgery on the 20th June. He'll be in for 3-5 days. So I will probably pick him up on the 24th I hope. He has to go back for the presurgery workup in 3 weeks. It is a 2 hr drive from our house.

Today it is my 38th wedding anniversary and at least we got to spend it together. He told all the doctors and nurses it was our anniversary.

I weighed in today and came in at 155.4 lbs, down 2.6 lbs from April 1st. I formally only record the weight on the first, as anything in between is meaningless.

I think I still think of food as a treat. But I have a list of foods I eat from and can make whatever I want with those ingredients. So for example, I am trying two cookies this weekend. One is a squash/soynut butter cookie and the other is a soynut butter cookie without the squash. It has an egg. I want to compare. The one with the squash will count as a full meal protein and cooked veggie. I do portions. It will make about 8-10 cookies and I get to eat them all. As I said it is an experiment. But so far the feedback I got is good from others who have tried it. Obviously, they are very high in fat so it would be a treat, sort of like bacon. I don't eat it all the time. But when I want to indulge, it will be a good go to item. My calories are usually 1300-1400 but with them it will jump to 1600-1700. I have been able to lose 3 lbs a month keeping it around 1300-1400 month. I have never been looking for big losses each month but rather a rhythm to my eating. My body knows it will get a great meal 3 times a day and so far haven't had urges since June 2011.

What I found to be a big contributor to having urges is holding on to grudges or resentments. When I get into a mean spirited place and forget that I was put on this earth for a purpose. My job is discovering what that is. You have heard the saying, what goes around comes around. We never really have to punish someone who hurts us as karma will take car od them. We can speak up for ourselves, have a voice, set a boundary and take care od ourselves. The golden rule comes into play. We love others as we love ourselves. So I need to start loving myself by taking care of what I have been given because I am worth it. End of soapbox.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #253
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Happy anniversary, Mary.

I wish I had come to LCF before going on my eating binge tonight. My mind just got the best of me. My binge is always the same...cheezits and a nutty bar! I have been wanting it for weeks and I decided tonight that it would be better to eat it than to keep dreaming of it. I tried eating other things but nothing worked.

After reading Leo's last post, it made me realize that my mind really is playing tricks on me! Argh. Oh well, tomorrow is a new day. I refuse to live with guilt as that will just make things worse. I am going to make an effort to not only eat very clean for the next few days, I have got to kick my diet soda habit. I think that might be some of my problem. I think I will switch to tea and liquid stevia tomorrow.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #254
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Saturday ! Had a fairly productive day....cleaned house and did laundry.

Happy Anniversary Mary

Cfine: diet soda is a hard habit to break....I try to get in at least 2 bottles of water before I allow myself one can of soda ....doesn't always work but most of the time it does .

Have a great night!
Old 05-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

I'm a little frustrated right now...I can't access my LC carb tracker App today....not sure if its just me or if its having an issue....I feel lost without it!! I hope I don't lose all my information on it...buggers .
Old 05-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #256
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Happy Happy....My App is working again! My weight is up 1.5 lbs ....that's all I've seen on the scale for the past 5 days....yoyo...for some reason I'm retaining water...I couldn't get my rings on this morning

Well hope everyone is still hanging in there !
Old 05-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #257
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm hanging in, Michele. At least you know it's water weight and are not freaking out
Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Michele if you can manage to clean house giving up the diet soda should be a cake walk.
Are you getting caffeine from your soda or is it just the sweet? Just a habit?
I've never had the craving. Zevia ginger root beer is the only diet soda I can tolerate. I've not been tempted to finish the four cans in my cupboard so it's not a big craving for me. I remember one time someone commenting that with diet soda we are paying to lot to drink nothing! In fact it may be worse that nothing. Easy for me to say with my coffee habit, eh? But I am just wondering if you might put the money you save with each soda into a bank and then use that savings to purchase some nonfood indulgence. Another thing that has worked for a family member is to use a water carbonator and flavor with essences. It's really a good investment and gives that hit of fizz. Just ideas . . .
Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

Bella: I usually only have one or two cans a day...the rest is water....I guess I'd rather grab a diet soda then a doughnut or something like that.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: groovygiirl
Stats: 301/261.6/200
Start Date: Feb 13, 2013
Me too Michele. My 1-2 cans of diet pop keeps me on plan. I usually have one at lunch or in the afternoon. I'm usually craving something sweet around at that time and this usually does the trick.

Hi everyone, haven't checked in in awhile. I'm off on my vacation on Saturday and while I'm excited to go away I'm feeling a bit stressed about the eating while away. I'm going to my in-laws and I don't want my WOE to be the main topic of conversation. Unfortunately my mother-in-law likes to cook carby-type dinners - ie. mac and cheese, lasagna, spaghetti... so I'm going to have to bring it up oh well, I'll live... will be so nice to go away and just hang with my family for a week
Old 05-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah that could be trickly, Shannon, but you'll feel so much better afterwards if you do bring it up and state your needs. Can you offer to cook a meal or suggest alternatives such as a salad bar type meal where you have lots of choices?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #262
Blabbermouth!!!

Shannon, often times, I will go grocery shopping when I arrive to contribute to the stockpile of food my relatives have. Usually, I am always looking for more veggies. The first time I went years ago, my family were health nuts so I thiught 'no problem'. But their idea od a dinner salad to be shared among 8 people was what I considered my individual serving. Going forward, I made my salad ahead oftime because I needed a certain minimum amount. I helpedinthe preparation of cooked veggies so there were some that were coated in heavy flour based sauces. I asked that my meat or whatever protein was grilled or baked without sugary marinades. If I were diabetic, you woukd bet I woukd speak up for myself. Today, I am not diabetic because I do speak up for myself. I know this because my mother, and five brothers were all diabetic.

It is ok for us to set boundaries with our relatives. If I were vegan, I would state unequivocably that I don't eat meat,dairy or eggs. I see my brother and daughter do it. They plan, prepare and protect their right to be vegan. How am I different? I am not.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: groovygiirl
Stats: 301/261.6/200
Start Date: Feb 13, 2013
Yes, you guys are right... I'm just going to speak up. In the end it will be easier and I can at least maintain while there. We will be going shopping for food the first day we are there so I will get food I can eat just in case.

At home I don't even think about it... I eat what my family does, I just don't eat the carbs.

Was hoping to have lost 30 lbs by this Saturday but I've lost 24 lbs so I'm pretty happy with that. Fortunately the plane ride is only 2 hrs. and I'll be sitting beside my little kids so it shouldn't be too uncomfortable.
groovygiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

24 lbs is fantastic. That's a loss worth protecting.
Have fun!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #265
Blabbermouth!!!

Have a great time Shannon.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mary, I have never thought about it like you said, but people with other WOE plans than ours certainly aren't ashamed of their eating habits, and you're right, we shouldn't be either. I personally don't have a problem speaking up for myself. I'm a big mouth though
Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

everyone.....still plugging along here...been struggling the past few days with feeling hungry and craving sweets....not sure where this is coming from other then the temptations at work....I have not caved in but have been eating more calories and salt then I should be....it shows on the scale ...296 this morning...buggers! Oh well this too shall pass!

Have a great evening!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #268
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi michele,
If you did not get into the sugars, you are a success. The lbs will follow. Wenever we have uncomfortable feelings, it is our natural tendency to turn to food to soothe or numb them until we learn new options and behaviors that become inbedded in my psyche. I keep a list of my options if I think about what if with food.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Mary: Thanks for your support....weight is up another 2 lbs this morning...it has to be water weight ...non the less it still sucks...lol...today I am going to watch my salt and calories....and water water water.

Have a great day!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #270
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aww Michele, I'm sure we all can relate to those feelings of sugar cravings! I find that eating some fat will sometimes shut it up. I take a tbsp of cream cheese and a tbsp of butter, mix in a little liquid stevia, microwave it for ten seconds, stir and eat. It's like a little bowl of cheesecake.