Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #181
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Since Saturday I have dropped 4lbs in water weight. I have Meniere's disease (which affects the inner ear) which has been in remission for over two years and I have been off meds since last July. I had an episode of vertigo on Saturday evening after I had walked in a 5K earlier in the day. So I had to start taking meds again and one is a diuretic to lower the fluid build up in my ear. So with the exercise the last month I must have been retaining more fluid than usual and it built up in my ear until it ruptured a membrane which caused the vertigo and dizziness. So I am surfing on the sofa the next few days as I typically have more than one episode and they can get pretty severe to the point of falling down. But I have some atropine to take if I feel it coming on and that can help. I was hopeful that I would not have to take the meds long term but I need to control it as much as possible as it can be quite debilitating and also leads to permanent hearing loss.

Mary- Good luck with your surgery on Wednesday. Hospital food sucks so you are smart to bring your own.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #182
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Frankie-
Are you going to talk to your doctor about this? I was wondering if you took a mild diuretic while working out, you could both work out and avoid the inner ear problem.

I know that I retain water when I work out, but it's gone 24 hrs. later. Do you work out on consecutive days? I never do because I don't want that retention to continue. But, of course, I don't have your inner-ear problem, and any water retention may be problematic. A physician would now.

I have an Rx for a diuretic to take 'as needed,' and my doctor told me that it's totally harmless to take even if I'm not retaining water because it will only work on excess water and won't dehydrate--i.e., if I'm not retaining, it won't work at all. I have the Rx because for some reason my body tends to retain water for all sorts of weird reasons.

I wish you the best with this issue.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 4, 2013
Frankie: sorry about your issues....nice that 4 lbs are gone Feel better soon!
Mary: Good luck!
Cheryl: Hope all is well with you!
Leo: I always enjoy reading your posts
Bella: How is your low carb journey going??
Cfine: Did you manage to hop back on the LC wagon??

My weight is up slightly...TOM gets me every time! I'm so close to the 200's and want it so bad!! Maybe I need some of those water pills! LoL

Have a great evening everyone
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #184
Senior LCF member

Hang on, Michele. TOM isn't real weight--it's water retention, and you should see a whoosh as soon as it's over.

I'm well past TOM, but in those days, I typically retained 5-7 lbs of water, which makes the situation even more uncomfortable with all that bloat.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Leo: I can't wait to be past TOM forever too!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #186
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
The cinnamon tidbits are chewey. It the the high protein extra firm tofu from Trader Joe's. Once I let it sit in paper towels it gets even firmer.

I was thinking of trying silken tofu in place of Greek yogurt once or twice to see how they compare. I do enjoy an egg with soy cheese every other morning for breakfast, so right now the best I can do is a vegetarian day every so often. I love meat every so often too.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #187
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am feeling better today. Just have a residual headache but not too wonky. When I am not feeling well my dogs are like velcro and have to be touching me and next to me all day long. It's a little rainy here today so we are all snuggled up under a blanket.

Leo- One of the meds the otolaryngologist prescribes for me is a mild diuretic, I just have not taken it since late July as I seemed to be regulating water pretty well. I'll be taking it from now on though! Like yours, the diuretic only flushes out excess water in the body. If I have another bought with the vertigo I'll go see the doc, but other than prescribing more meds there is not a lot that he can do as it is a chronic condition.

I have only been exercising three days a week, never consecutive. So I am not sure what gives with this. My joints did not feel tight at all which is a cue that tells me I am retaining water.

Michele- You'll drop that water from TOM soon. I would hate TOM as it would always be the week of no loss, no matter what I did. Hang in there and stay on plan!

Mary- What would be the benefits for you eating vegan?
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #188
Senior LCF member

Frankie- My doctor tells me that retaining water is mainly hormonal in women, and despite the fact that I'm post-menopausal, I can have hormonal 'surges' that cause water retention.

Normally, I notice it in my pudgy fingers or bloated belly, but sometimes I don't notice anything--but suddenly find 3 lbs more on the scale when I know I've been eating very carefully. I'll take the diuretic--and sure enough, I've been retaining water, but it hasn't been noticeable. Weird.

So it might be unrelated to your exercise and just 'one of those things' that can happen to women.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #189
Blabbermouth!!!

Frankie, I haven't really thought of agood reason to go vegan other than to make less of a mark on the planet. My DD does it because she doesn't want to contribute to animal cruelty. My doctor's do it for their health as does my brother. They do low fat vegan. I am not into that. I like the fat. I can eat TVP, protein powders, soymilk, soycheese and edamame hummus at different times, but love my yogurt. So I may have to settle for 1-2 meals a day vegan. It is better than nothing.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:41 AM   #190
Senior LCF member

"Animal cruelty" is the reason I eat only grass-fed, grass-finished beef or bison that has been humanely slaughtered. I buy online and also buy almost all my other meat products from them as well.

I can get eggs from pastured chickens locally.

I am too much of a meat eater to ever abstain totally, but I try to do the best I can to avoid the feedlot industry.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:07 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Leo, my views on this are very much akin to yours.

Mary, my thoughts and prayers are with you this morning.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Mary: thinking of you today

Nothing much to report on my end.....had my first ever pedicure today. . A girl could get use to that!! A little too pricey to do it very often at the Spa though.

Happy Wednesday!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:55 AM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I am doing ok this morning. Still have you in my thoughts Mary.

Yesterday was a hard day, as some emotionally stress-related issues at work finally culiminated. I dealt with them. Some fall out but unavoidable. My stress was replaced last evening with all out fatigue. Best description is that I felt like a gutted fish. But I stayed on plan and wasn't super hungry or tempted to drink, so I'll take it all as a positive step.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #194
Senior LCF member

Michele- I've only had one pedicure. It was a gift because I'm too cheap to pay those prices, but I didn't really like it. I was too self conscious because my feet are so hideous that I don't even like my podiatrist to see them!

But as sandal weather approaches, I do my own pedicures at home--weekly during the summer. And it's a lot less expensive than at the spa

Bella- It was a positive step--congratulations! Scientists say that any of those negative habits concerning food or drinking or smoking are separate pathways in our brains that we've established as we create the habit. That's why we get frequent urges to 'indulge.' However, they also say that every time we resist, we weaken those pathways and, over time, can eliminate them completely. Keep this in mind for the future. You not only reap an immediate reward when you resist temptation, but you are making progress toward long-term reward as well.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #195
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just pushed into the 150lb Club and it feels great! I am 3/4 of the way to my goal.

Bella- Way to go on not turning to food during such a stressful time. Sounds like you needed a big hug yesterday. I hope today is a much easier day for you.

Michele- Yep, I love me a good pedicure. Best way to feel pampered.

Mary- Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Leo- I love a pedi and I get them regularly in the summer, but I have tons of skin on the bottom of my feet. My regular salon is used to it but I do get embarrassed when I go to a new place when I travel and they have to deal with my "hooves".
Old 04-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Arriella
Stats: 258.2/ 201.5/180.8 (goal #3)
WOE: Atkins http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-lo
hi everyone..im gonna jump in..my goal will be to reach my first goal of 232.2... i hope we can help keep each other motivated..i am a shift leader at Dunkin Donuts and am surrounded by all the goodies every day...so ill need all the support i can get...
Arriella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #197
Senior LCF member

Ariella!

Have you worked there long? I ask because my brother worked at a fried chicken place when he was in high school, and he loved fried chicken. But after a few months, he couldn't stand the thought of eating it because he was so sick of being around it so much.

Perhaps that will work eventually with the doughnuts?

Dunkin Donuts don't appeal to me that much, but I'd shoot myself before I'd work in a regular bakery. It would be torture for me to be around that stuff.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

yeah..ive worked there for about five years now...i love the donuts but as long as i keep my carbs at 20 or less..i have absolutely no cravings for them....i started on april 2nd..so far so good.. my problem is that my husband is dead set against Atkins just because HE doesnt think its healthy..of course he says this while hes eating tons of junk food all the time..so antway im keeping it to myself for now..its my life..my health..and my decision...i am tired of being fat...we have had a lot of fights about this in the past..when he finds out then he will either accept it..or not..i am not stopping..i love this woe
Old 04-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lavender Blend
Stats: 380/343/160
Oh gosh, is it too late to join this? I am doing a juice fast also, not a regular diet.
Lavender Blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

Arriella and Lavender Blend

Frankie: woohoo on the 150 lb club!!!! WTG ..I'm so proud of you

Still plugging along here....no new losses to report .

Have a great evening everyone!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lavender Blend
Stats: 380/343/160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriella View Post
hi everyone..im gonna jump in..my goal will be to reach my first goal of 232.2... i hope we can help keep each other motivated..i am a shift leader at Dunkin Donuts and am surrounded by all the goodies every day...so ill need all the support i can get...
Just curious. Do they make the donuts fresh everyday?

The donuts seem a little stale sometimes at my local DD.
Lavender Blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Im not sure if its the same in every state...here they make them fresh every morning in a different building...well probally throughout the night and then they get shipped to all the Dunkin donuts here in Maine and also in New Hampshire...when i go into work to open the store at 3:30 am..the donuts have been delivered and are there waiting for me...at our store we do make the muffins , bagels, and croissants ..i do that myself almost every morning..they smell so good cooking..
Old 04-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

10 days without a loss is so frustrating! I went through a stretch where I lost about a pound a day for a few days but I was only eating about 8 carbs a day and my calories were lower.....the thing is....I was sooo hungry those days that I couldn't wait for the day to end so I could go to bed and forget about it...lol .....anyway TOM is almost gone so hopefully it takes some pounds with it!

Have a great Friday!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #204
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Michele- I so understand your frustration. The best part of eating LC is not being hungry so I have to find that right balance of carbs and calories to keep from being hungry. If I am hungry I will not stay on plan long term and for me thinking long term is the only way. When I used to have TOM I would not lose that entire week. Hopefully this is just a plateau and you'll be back to losing soon.

Arriella- Welcome! It is fairly easy to eat LC without making a fuss about it or have people notice. Salads, veggies, meat, seafood all low carbs. If your hubby is against LC do not use the term "low carb". I tell people I am cutting back on sugar. The same thing but people seem to be fine with ditching sugars but for some reason there is a stigma associated with LC.

Lavender Blend- Welcome!

Leo- I could not work in a bakery either. I am not into sweets but I could easily live on bread. There is a bread factory close to where I used to work where you can smell the baking bread for blocks and driving by it would set off cravings.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #205
Senior LCF member

Frankie- I have an ancient memory of a bread factory experience--so I know exactly what you mean. As an undergraduate, I worked my way through college taking classes at night after working all day. I'd be driving home about 10:30 pm at the end of a long day and very hungry--and I had to drive right past a bread factory that was baking for the next day. The aroma was incredible, and I was no longer hungry--I was starving.

I went through a 'bread baking' phase in my late 30s (that certainly didn't help my weight issues), and there is no food in the world, IMO, that equals homemade bread fresh from the oven.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/176/168; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / CAD / >100 g protein
Start Date: 6/7/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloude1 View Post
10 days without a loss is so frustrating!
when i first started dieting, my sister, who is a weight loss success story, pushed me to take my measurements. she told me i'd be sorry if i didn't. so i measured my hips and waist, like a good girl.

my butt is my biggest problem area. months ago, i went 6 weeks at a plateau, and it was so discouraging. one thing that helped me get through that time was the fact that while i wasn't losing weight i had lost an inch off my butt.

whatever yours is, be sure to keep measuring that, at least. even 1/2" is better than a pound.

also, i do find that keeping daily records of my weight, hips in inches, carbs, calories, is very beneficial. i tend to lose in chunks. last month i lost 15 pounds in a swoop, which is almost what i lost in my first 2 months of dieting!

Last edited by jenericstewart; 04-26-2013 at 11:19 AM..
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the encouragement...it's helps alot! I'm drinking my water today..was slacking a little in that dept. watching my calories, salt and carbs today...oh and I put new batteries in my scale so it has to be a change in the morning..lol
Old 04-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #208
Senior LCF Member

the smell of homemade bread baking is so tempting.....one thing i try to do before i go to work and have to smell all those bagels and muffins while they cook is to never ever go to work hungry...
Old 04-27-2013, 05:07 AM   #209
Blabbermouth!!!

I tried writing yesterday but my reply got timed out and I couldn't quite repeat the exercise. Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts. Surgery was successful. I go back to get sutures removed on Monday. We will see what it all looks like. I intend to put some pictures together once the swelling goes down.

I don't think I will rush out to do the arms and breasts any time this year. Maybe next spring if my memory fades. I didn't need too much pain med so avoided the nauseous that I had from the first one. But the folks at the clinic at the Mass General Plastic Surgery Center were tops. All the people we met were kind and considerate.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #210
Senior LCF member

So glad you're doing well, Mary!