Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 4, 2013
Good morning ladies! It finally quit snowing...17.2 inches is the report..more in other places Im sure.....Not much movement out there this morning...just waiting for the plows so I can get out to go to work...or not...lol.... It's so hard to not cave into mindless eating when im stuck at home...BUT...I DID NOT CAVE! YAY! Down yet another pound...the two hundreds are so close now!

Bring on Spring! I want to see this snow gone as fast as it came!
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #152
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
That's awesome, Michele! Not about the snow, but the weight loss. The 300's are almost history, honey! The 200's are almost history for me. We're both at a milestone number!

Leo, you really have done your research and know what sets you off and what to avoid. I'm hoping someday to be as well-versed in how to tame my inner foodie in all (or almost all) situations.

Have a great day, everyone. I'm still marching onward. Might weigh next week. I like not weighing often but sometimes I just want to take a peek!

"Free your mind and your @$$ will follow."

My Journal.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #153
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Thanks, Cheryl, but 'knowing' isn't 'doing,' and it's still a struggle for me
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
I have been without a loss now for what adds up to 10 days. I have had some stalls before but have been really diligent this week with carbs and calories which is frustrating and I don't like to fiddle around with my plan much as it has been working so well for me for the last 9 months.

I posted this question on another thread but would like your input on it as well. What do you think about previous weight set points? I was at 178-180 for many years, but it was a long time ago, probably at least 20 years. Do you think that your body remembers those past weights and doesn't like to go beyond that point? I am not sure I believe this but do wonder about it and if there is any science behind it.

Michele- It was 91 degrees here in Dallas today which is unseasonably warm. but I guess I cannot complain as I sit here and think about you dealing with all that snow.

Cfine- If I totally let go for a full day of high carb eating I do have several days of cravings to deal with afterward. During the pig out day I also have the occasional thoughts of not getting back on plan the next day. This is a danger area for me in the past but only happens if I go hog wild, so I have turned my off-plan eating to being planned high carb portions that fit within my daily or weekly allowance. This way I can have a small higher carb treat that hopefully will not lead to cravings. So far this is working pretty good for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
What I learned from a lot of reading is that they originate in our 'lower brain' and are usually evoked after any significant weight loss or even just a perception of dietary restriction. The body views weight loss as a negative, and is always trying to re-fill those empty fat cells--which we never totally lose. These urges only began in me once I lowered my guard--during weight loss, I was very 'hard core.'
This is what happens to me too. Right now since I am in weight loss mode and I am hard core with recording,measuring and counting everything I eat, I don't have super strong urges to eat compulsively. So I am just waiting and preparing as best I can knowing my track record with regain in maintenance. Do you know how long the body tries to refill those fat cells with urges to eat?

Quote:
The key (which I'm still learning) is to tell the difference between an urge to compulsively eat (regardless of the food or quantity), and consciously allowing myself to have a 'treat' on occasion. And not letting the latter lead to the former. It's not easy.
Thank you for putting this in words. It is something I always need to be mindful of myself.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #155
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Mindful eating...sounds like a theme today. I try to stay focused on today and what I plan to have. I have given up the option of planned treats that are with foods that are not on my food plan. If I want something "special", I figure out a way to make it with my allowable ingredients or I pass on it. I tried planned treats back in 2001-2002 and I usually experienced a physical reaction to the food. I finally decided food doesn't need to be so important. I make some really delicious things today for myself and leave it there.

MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #156
Big Yapper!

Frankie, I absolutely believe in set-points. I have been hung up by them a number of times. I get to one when I'm at 200 dropping down into the 100's (like I am right now), and another one I have is a very odd number: 177 lbs. Below that, it's been so long since I was that weight that I can't recall where my previous set points were. I would suggest that you tighten the reigns a bit for the next few days and eat fewer carbs. Just do it until you break through the set point.

They are real! And once you get through one, the losing resumes as it was before.

It's late here and I'm distracted. Will be back tomorrow and do better at personals. Night!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #157
Senior LCF member

I am going to disagree because I really don't believe in "set points." In my weight loss, I DID stall at about 250lbs, but I discovered the problem after a while. I don't think this is your problem, Frankie, but it is with many people who seem to experience 'set points.'

At 250 lbs, I had lost about 90 lbs, and I continued to eat at the same approximate calorie level. What I didn't realize is that my 'smaller' body needed fewer calories. As soon as I cut further, I began to lose easily again right to my present weight.

Frankie--I also had a couple of times when I didn't lose for three weeks--although I was eating and exercising exactly the same way. Then the fourth week, the scale showed my usual monthly drop--i.e., 4 lbs. I didn't lose that in one week, but it didn't show each week as it usually did. This happened to me twice, and then never again. You may be experiencing something similar. I'd just stick to what's been working a little while longer.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Hello everyone!

Frankie: I'll take the snow...91 is too hot for me I have no opinion or advice on the set point....I'm still learning what works for me

The snow is slowly melting but I'm afraid some of the piles will be there well into June...lol
At least they are working very hard to get the roads cleaned up.

I was down yet another pound this morning...I'm enjoying this as long as I can because I know it's not going to last...just hope it does for 3 more pounds!

Have a great evening ladies!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #159
Big Yapper!

I thought the same thing about our snow piles, Michele. We had that horrendous storm (don't recall what month it was) where our cars were literally buried. I'd never seen anything like it. It took days and in some cases weeks for people to get plowed out and back on their feet. I took pics and videos of the storm. If you go to "Tubienewbie3" on Youtube, you'll be able to view them. There are three so start at the beginning. It might make you feel better about your "little April storm."

You're doing great with the losses! Very steady. I'm sure you'll be in the 2's very soon.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #160
Blabbermouth!!!

I don't know if I believe in the whole set point theory. I do believe that if I eat a healthy food plan that I will lose. When I look back to Jan 2012, I weighed 198 lbs, so in the last 15 months have lost 42 pound. That's about 3 lbs a month. That for me is a good rate as I like the pace of being able to keep doing what I am doing so it becomes ingrained that this is the new me and my new life. I don't control the number. I couldn't handle the back and forth of high cals one day and starvation the next. I like knowing I get enough each day. I know a lot of it is mind games. So we each figure out which mind game works for each os us and it is probably different for each too.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #161
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
I know a lot of it is mind games. So we each figure out which mind game works for each os us and it is probably different for each too.
THAT'S IT ENTIRELY!!! You said it and I'm agreeing with you all the way. It's all in what we are willing and able to live with, and live without.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I am starting to feel better now. Thank you everyone for your kindness. I don't think I will be going off plan again for a while. It was a brutal few days!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

CherylB- I am not sure I can tighten the reigns on my eating anymore than I do right now as over the last week I have eaten between 15-25carbs and an average of 656 calories. Even though I am frustrated, I am just going to hold tight and not change too much right now since it has been working for me.

Leo- I just am not sure about the set points myself but I read about them and wonder. I am hoping that this is just a standard weight loss pause due to the addition of exercise the past few weeks. I am trying to hang tight, but I get such good motivation when I do see the scale move.

Michele- Great job with the continued loss.

Cfine- I am glad you are back on track and feeling better. It can be really hard to deal with the aftermath of going off plan. But you know this now and can better determine if it will be worth in in the future.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #164
Big Yapper!

Wow, Frankie. With daily calories that low, you could be doing HCG and dropping weight much faster. I'm sorry if what I'm saying is not pleasing but to eat so few calories on an every day basis is starvation level. If you've stopped losing, it could be that your metabolism is screeching to a halt.

Do you think you'll eat less than 1,000 calories for the rest of your life? If not, your training your body to function on so little that when you go much above what you're taking in all these months, it's going to be so easy to regain.

I just don't want to see you wreck your body in the process of trying to claim health and wellness. Please forgive me if I'm over-stepping.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #165
Senior LCF member

Frankie- I didn't realize you'd added exercise recently. I try never to weigh the day AFTER a workout (I work out only3-4 days a week) because I'm usually 'heavier' from water retained in muscles. An exercise physiologist once told me that when we work out, we create microscopic tears in muscles (which is why we should never work the same muscles on consecutive days). They heal within 24 hours, but in the meantime, the body retains water in those muscles to help with the healing. Since I weigh only weekly, it's easy for me to pick a morning when I haven't worked out the day before.

So it could be the exercise that's giving you some 'false' information about your weight.

Cheryl- I know this isn't a popular idea on LCF, but I don't believe in 'starvation level' calories that halt weight loss because otherwise how would anorexics endanger their lives as they do? Their weight continues to drop, and many of them are eating only 300 cal a day!

Personally, I lost most of my weight eating <1000 cal a day because of age and hypothyroidism. I only lost a pound a week, so I certaintly wasn't losing too fast. Because of my hypo, I was monitored throughout by my endo indirectly, since I have labs every 4 months--and he does a full slate. He was my biggest cheerleader and totally approved of my calorie level--because it was what I needed. He told me that he had patients who could not lose at more than 750 cal because of medical issues.

All studies show that the metabolism slows with any caloric deficit, but that slowdown is minimal and not enough to inhibit weight loss--otherwise it would be impossible to lose weight at all, since a caloric deficit is necessary for all weight loss.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:02 AM   #166
Blabbermouth!!!

All this talk about low calories has me very grateful that I don't have these kinds of medical issues. I love the veggies, fruit, proteins and fats I eat, and wouldn't want to reduce the quantity at all. It runs between 1200-1400 a day. Right now I do little exercise. I will start walking shortly.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #167
Senior LCF member

Mary-
It's not as bad as it sounds because those low calories are all that my body requires (due to my 'issues'). I'm never hungry.

My major problem is that my 'head' wants to feed my body more than it wants
Old 04-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
It's not as bad as it sounds because those low calories are all that my body requires (due to my 'issues'). I'm never hungry. My major problem is that my 'head' wants to feed my body more than it wants
This is me too! If I am truly physically hungry I will eat more. But I have to do a check and look at what I have eaten and if I am thirsty, tired, bored, stressed or emotional. I would say that 95% of the time I want to eat "more" because of these reasons, not physical hunger. After not having exercised for over 8 years, I have been exercising 3x a week for the last month and just trying to move a bit more each day. So this could be the issue with my body just needing to adjust to the shock of me moving again!

Cheryl- I appreciate your concern and do not take offense at all. I learn from other people and that is why I come to this board. I have never been able to lose if I eat more than 800-850 cals a day. I have been eating this way for the last 9 months with excellent and continued losses each week. I take lots of vitamins and supplements and my doctor does blood tests regularly. I was able to lower one of my thyroid meds for the first time ever. So my doc is pleased and supports what I am doing. He has stressed that my body does not require the same calories as most people due to my thyroid and adrenal issues and that I am in menopause now. Because I have added exercise I do want to increase my protein and that will take my cals a bit higher to about 800 a day. If I develop some lean muscle in the next few months I doubt I will go much over 1000 or maybe occasionally 1200 cals a day for maintenance. I do not think my caloric needs are typical and I agree that most people can eat substantially more and lose well. I am just not one of those people.

Mary- I am not a fan of exercise myself. I have added it for stamina and cardiovascular health, not for weight loss. I am soon going to be adding a bit more exercise to add some muscle as I am sure I have lost muscle mass along the way from being sedentary and I want to tone up a bit and hope that the muscle will help boost my metabolism a bit.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #169
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl: that's some unbelievable snow! Has it all melted away yet??

Cfine: welcome back!

No loss to report today...no gain either...exactly the same as yesterday
I think my body is telling me to eat a few more carbs ....I was so run down at work this morning I could hardly function.....have been keeping my carbs below 10 for the past week...while I loved the losses I don't like having little to no energy . I need to go do some veggie shopping tomorrow
Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #170
Big Yapper!

Yes, the snow is gone, amazingly. I'm glad you saw the videos! The one of the aftermath the next day said it all. I don't know how we ever got out from under it all. It was a first for me and I hope to God it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Frankie, I guess you have to do what you have to do. Maybe the lack of muscle mass is the reason why your metabolism is so very low. They say it is our muscle mass that determines our metabolism, since fat just kind of "sits there." Muscle uses energy so the more we have, the more we can eat without gaining.

I have done a rogue version of homeopathic hcg. I highly recommend it to you, Frankie. You're already eating in that calorie range. You'd be amazed how much quicker the weight comes off with hcg. It's no joke!

Well, I'm signing off for tonight. I hope everyone is having a lovely evening and sleeps soundly with pleasant dreams. I wrote about my farm day on my journal, for anyone who is interested and likes to read L.O.N.G posts.

Last edited by CherylB; 04-17-2013 at 08:18 PM..
Old 04-18-2013, 02:12 AM   #171
Senior LCF member

No, Cheryl, I doubt that Frankie's problem is lack of muscle mass. My endo explained that our particular metabolism is part of our genetic inheritance, and there is very little we can do to change it--despite all the myths that proliferate on LCF about 'broken' metabolism, etc. Our metabolism is not within our voluntary control any more than our heartbeats are or our thyroid function.

Yes, it's true that muscle burns more calories, but that's mainly the difference between the natural bodies of men and women--men naturally have a great deal of muscle whereas women, created for reproduction, have less muscle and more fat.

To consistently burn more calories due to increased muscle mass, a person would have to be a serious body builder. For example, I've been doing resistance/strength training seriously for about 2 years, and I look very much leaner (dropped a pants size without any weight loss), and I have good muscle definition for the first time in my life. But I am not able to maintain at any higher calorie level because I haven't added muscle; I've developed the muscles that I already have.

What most of us do is simply develop our already existing muscles. To 'add' muscle requires a caloric excess, and that's not something I want (i.e., to gain weight via added muscle). I am perfectly happy maintaining my muscle mass and reducing fat. It keeps me fit and healthy.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Old 04-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #173
Blabbermouth!!!

How's everyone doing? We are praing for my SIL who was helo/vac'd to a hospital with extreme liver damage. If she doesn't change her life around with food and boose, she will die too young. Her kidneys have been affected. She is still going through tests and will probably stay another week. Please keep her in your prayers.

Also, I met a fellow in the hospital Tuesday who is having surgery tomorrow. His name is Dave. He has lost a 100 lbs doing low carb and is my age, but still has a couple hundred to go. He is having a malignant tumor removed from his kidney and may lose the kidney. Please keep him in your prayers.

Food is going well. I am still making my salads with the blender and am actually getting used to it. It is like a gazapacho or coleslaw and very tasty. I have a hot cooked veggie with my protein and dressing. I have been useing the cauli-rice for all kinds of stuff. I am getting adventurous in my 60's.

Have a good day.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cheryl- What weight loss does the average HGC'er lose in a month?

Leo- I am hoping just to tone my muscles since I have not exercised in so long and would like to be as toned as possible when I get to goal. I have no desire to do serious muscle building. I do not want to feel hungry and I know that intense exercise does make me hungry. So I am going for moderation for overall health with exercise but will lose weight through my diet.

Mary- I hope your SIL recovers soon. Maybe the threat of her dangerous health issues will help her to come to terms with her food and alcohol issues and she'll get the help she needs to deal with them.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #175
Senior LCF member

Frankie- For close to 30 years, I regularly swam laps--but then my shoulders gave out, and my specialist said that the overhead stroke would always cause problems. I did a lot of PT to eliminate the pain, but when I tried to go back to swimming, I reinjured the shoulders and knew I'd have to give it up.

I'd read that resistance (strength) exercise is good for 'older' women like me to try to preserve muscle mass (which we tend to lose with age). I didn't want to do free weights because I was afraid to injure myself (form has to be perfect), so I opted for the machines at my health club. I've been doing this for about 2 years, and it's nothing less than amazing. I've become addicted to it. In fact, I haven't gone in 2 weeks because of this flu, and I can hardly wait to get back.

I don't really get 'hungry,' and I don't find that I need to eat any extra calories, but I do save a meal to have after I work out because I've read that it's good to have something then, even if it's just a protein shake. I don't do shakes, but I'll have an omelet or a burger.

I don't think it helps at all with weight loss, but it makes me feel and look better. I've never measured body fat, but I certainly must have less, since I now have such good muscle definition.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Saturday everyone....nothing much to report here.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #177
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone, pretty quiet here too. I will be cooking tomorrow. I am going to whip up some things I can take with me to the hospital to eat. Last time, if I hadn't brought my own food I would have been up the creek without a paddle. I remember I asked for some cooked vegetables at lunch and was told the kitchen doesn't cook vegetables at lunch. This was the Mary Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebabon, NH.

I just talked to my sponsor and she works in the surgery field. She said to stick with clear liquids the night after the surgery, like vegetable broth and maybe a protein shake. Then see how I feel. The next day I will play it by ear. Probably soft eggs and some applesauce in the morning. I am cooking up the pumpkins loaves for lunch. That is pumpkin, soy flour, egg and a bit of carbonated seltzer or diet soda with sweetener and cinnamon. I haven't made it in a while but know what texture I am looking for.

Have a good weekend.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:47 AM   #178
Senior LCF member

Good luck with your surgery, Mary.

You are wise to prepare food, based on my own experience with hospital food. And following your sponsor's suggestions is a really good idea because one constant in my experience of hospitals is that they fail to provide the type of nutrition the person needs in a specific situation.

For example, I was once admitted after a very severe gallbladder attack and could not eat for 24 hours. The doctor then ordered a fat-free breakfast because of the gall bladder problem and subsequent tests I'd be having. They tray arrived laden with fat--butter, sausage, etc.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #179
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, Leo.

I got some advice from Bella, she said to keep busy. so I thought about what I had been procrasticating about. So I actually filed my taxes today, since there was money coming back, I didn't have to rush. I sorted through a bunch of bills and filed them away. I picked up my room and did some packing.

I bought some soft foods and liquids that I can have Wed night. I will put together some foods Monday and Tuesday night for the next couple days.

I did feel better tonight after finally getting busy with things that were weiing me down.

Do we have any vegans in this group? I was wondering how silken tofu compares to Greek yogurt as far as texture? I love my Greek yogurt every night and have recently experimented at lunch with using extra firm tofu, drained on paper towels, fried with cinnamon and cut into squares, toasted then sprinkled with sweetener. They tasted like little nuggets of sweetness. I have been toying with the idea of trying veganism but struggle what I could replace my Greek yogurt with.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Deep fat fried tofu is heaven, although I am not sure what it would take to duplicate the restaurant version . . . would probably be a lot healthier. Is your version very chewey? I don't mind tofu, it takes on good flavors, but yogurt would be my first choice. Good to have some variation, though. I really like the firmness of baked tofu. Probably could be duplicated at home too.

I have a friend who changed to being a vegan, and has lost lots of weight. She is also celiac so pretty disciplined and willing to spend hours chopping veggies. I would really miss my eggs and a bit of dairy, not even to mention meat.

Speaking of procrastination, college students will often clean house rather than study for exams!
(even though their apts are usually a wreck)
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote