Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Century Club
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Quote:
I finally understand I am not like other people where food is concerned and I will never be able to eat like them so I have stopped comparing the way I eat to the way my friends eat. I am concentrating only on what I need to do for my body and lifestyle.
This nugget really jumped out at me this morning, Frankie. Brings to mind the saying about changing what we can, accepting what we can't, and the wisdom to know the difference. Thanks. .
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 4, 2013
Happy Friday! Happy to report no ill affects from the piece of SF candy! YAY! Im only 1 lb away from the 20 lbs gone forever mark...It will probably take me 2 weeks to lose it because i want it so bad..lol I bought myself a charm bracelet today and some assorted charms....Im going to add 1 charm for every 10lbs I lose I would love to buy one of the fancy ones from a jewelry store but I cant afford those and frankly...this one will work just fine! Well I think Im going to go whip up a batch of Oopsie/revolution rolls...love those things! Have a great evening!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Michele-great idea with the bracelet!

Cheryl-congrats on the loss!

I was down 1.5 lbs this morning.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

I agree that the charm bracelet is a brilliant idea, what a nice tactile visual reminder of your success.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

I agree that the charm bracelet is a brilliant idea, what a nice tactile visual reminder of your success.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #126
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
cfine, !

Michele, 20 lbs is a major milestone. Brick by brick! I love the charm bracelet idea but I don't know where you are getting your inexpensive charms. I looked into charms once because I wanted to create a charm bracelet with charms that would signify all the chapters of my life, and they are expensive! Plus, I'm allergic to cheap metals.

So what sort of charms did you get?
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl: I bought the bracelet from Avon...it was $9.99 and the charms were 3 for $10....I got an assortment ....colored gems, animals, flower, heart, padlock, ladybug just to name a few....I'm sure they are just the cheap metal but that doesn't bother me

Cfine: yay on the 1.5 lb loss!!!!
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #128
Big Yapper!

Oh, how cool! You're lucky you don't need to wear "the good stuff." I never even thought about Avon. Enjoy adding those charms!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Saturday!! My morning weigh in showed 20 lbs gone forever!!! Yay...I'm so happy about that.....next milestone is 299....only 5 lbs away!!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #130
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Last Sunday, I got what seems to be the flu--and it's just hanging on and annoying me!

Backstory--I got a flu shot (recommended for old people like me), and I later read that this year's shot has been least effective in the 'elderly' (I have to keep reminding myself that's ME because in my head I'm 35 although my silly driver's license reports me as 71).

So when I started getting the chills, aches, etc., it was exactly like the 'real' flu, but without the severity. Later I got terrible chest congestion, hacking cough, sore throat, etc. but defintely milder than my past experiences with flu.

My doctor says that it's obviously some form of virus, and it is how people who have had the shot experience actual flu--a much milder version.

So I shouldn't be complaining, since it is certainly milder than a typical flu, but it's annoying because I haven't been ill in years (for which I'm thankful), and I hate the bloated feeling I get because I tend to retain vast amounts of water anytime I'm even slightly ill. Add to that my doctor prescribed an antibiotic as a preventative measure (because of my age), and that seems to be constipating me. Yuck.

It's so hard to focus on my goals for loss when I want to comfort myself with food. Unlike most people, I tend to eat MORE when I'm sick. I think it's because I feel sorry for myself and want to indulge. My personal 'challege' is to keep this desire to eat under control until I am better and can get back to my regular schedule.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

What good news from you this morning, Michele.
I like the sound of that "gone forever" !
Old 04-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #132
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 148
Start Date: Jan 2001
Leo41, so sorry to hear you have been sick. I will be praying tha you get well quicky.

I am still blenderizing my food because the jaw is still a problem. They think it is TMJ. Tuesday morning I go for the presurgery bloodwork to make sure I am healthy enough for the surgery. Wednesday, I see the dentist again for a follow up. Then a week from Wednesday is the surgery. I am very nervous about it.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Michele- Congrats on the 20lb loss!

Leo- I hope you get to feeling better soon. I also overeat when I am sick and specifically want carby food so I know how hard it is especially when you are not active and have a lot of time to sit and think about food. Hang in there and drink lots of fluids even if you will retain the water for a while, when you're better you'll drop that water weight.

Mary- Do you have a mouth guard for your tmj? I hope all goes well with the pre surgery tests and the dentist. I am excited for you to get your surgery because you earned it.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #134
Senior LCF member

Mary- Just remind yourself that it's perfectly natural to be apprehensive before surgery. When I had my second cataract operation, the nurse who in-processed me commented that my BP was very low (it usually is), and I told her that I expected it to be high off-the-charts because I was so stressed. And this was in spite of the fact that my first one had been uneventful with no negatives at all.

You've researched and planned for this, and it has been an informed decision. I wish you the best possible outcome.

Frankie- Yes, I'm drinking hot tea constantly. Apart from the fact that my doctor always stresses the importance of hydration for colds and flu, I actually crave the tea, and it feels so good when I drink it. I've read that it helps dissolve the mucus, so I feel as though I'm helping myself get well.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #135
Big Yapper!

Michele: Keep going!! You're doing great!

Oh, Leo! I'm so sorry you're ill. It is hard to stick to a diet plan when all you want is to distract yourself from your misery for a short while. You'll do what is best. You know it isn't worth it. I hope you can find something that is soothing and still won't get in your way.

Wow, Mary. It's really getting close. Sorry about your TMJ, too. When it rains it pours. I hope the blenderized food still tastes as good as the chewable kind. I hope your blood tests come back perfect. I know you're getting anxious but we're here with you and will talk you through it.

Leo, the tea is good but it might cause you to diurese so you better make sure you're drinking plain water as well. Just to be on the safe side.

I'm marching right along. I made a LC Chicken Enchilada tonight and I was surprised how much I liked it. I was out of sour cream so I put some ranch dressing on the side and it actually was very good with it. When you have something "hot" you need a little something to cool it down. I'm hooked now.

Have a great night, everyone. And Leo, please get well soon.

I have come to the decision that there is no such thing as a destination.

My Journal.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wtg Michele.

Hope you are better soon Leo!
Old 04-14-2013, 04:43 AM   #137
Senior LCF member

Thanks, everyone. I feel a little better each day, but I am so eager to get this behind me that I want to feel 100% immediately.

Cheryl--no chance of any diuretic action from the tea; when I'm ill, my body retains water incredibly. In fact, that's usually my first 'sign' that I'm really recovered--dumping gallons of water.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl. can you (or anyone else) share your chicken enchilda recipe, or point me to where I can find it here?
I'm having to pass on chicken enchildas at my food coop deli because of the tortillas, but I am missing them because they were one of my top three things on their rotating menu. Chicken vindaloo was my second fav. Not recalling right now what the third was.

Had my first dinner out last night after my restart. I made a good choice I think in the mediterranean salad. Gave my little bread roll away.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning! Happy to be home today as we are being buried under snow and a blizzard warning on top of it....it's ugly out there! On the plus side....down another pound today! Yay!!

Leo & Mary : hope you both feel better soon

everyone
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #140
Blabbermouth!!!

Michele, it's springtime. How much did you get? I remember getting 14" in Syracuse, NY on May 1st one year. Luckily, it melted pretty quickly.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #141
Big Yapper!

Bella, I just played around when I made mine and I was happy enough with it to make it again. I'll copy and paste it from my journal. I believe I wrote about it over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB
I just made a Chicken Enchilada! It was really good and completely legal. I took some chicken breast off the rotisserie chicken I bought the other day, diced it up and tossed it into the frying pan. Put a sliver of butter, a spoonful of red enchilada sauce, a few shakes of tabasco and some salt. Fried that up a while, then topped chicken with lots of shredded mexican-mix cheese (bought in store). Covered the pan to trap in heat, removed cover, added another spoonful of sauce, recovered. Took spatula and loosened around the edges and the bottom, then slid it out onto a plate. I was out of sour cream so I put some ranch dressing on the side. It tasted great! Very filling, too. It's a keeper!

I ate it with a fork and it was sort of like a Tostada without the corn tortilla. I love that I am learning to make Mexican food LC. That is something I have had a really hard time living without when on LC. I'm going to keep playing around with Mexican foods and see how wild and crazy I can get.
What's a Chicken Vindaloo? Sounds like fun!

Leo, I'm glad you're feeling a bit better every day. I'll bet you're looking forward to losing all the water weight at the very end. Funny how our bodies are so different.

Michele, you poor thing! I always complain about the weather in CT but I see you guys are really still in the grip of winter. I hope you soon see Springtime. It has to end soon, right??? WTG on losing that next pound.

Mary, bite your tongue! We're done with snow for this go-round. Don't jinx us! All we need is for the trees to be full of leaves again (like October a few years back) and have a heavy snow that breaks all the limbs and causes massive lasting power outages. JUST SAY NO and pray like heck.

Overcast here today, but after what Michele said she's going through, I have not ONE SINGLE complaint. I was tempted to weigh today but I'm only in the middle of the month and if I'm still 200-something, it would bum me out. So, I shall wait. A great number at the end of the month will be so much better to me than a cruddy number on a frequent basis.

Doing my taxes today, finally. It will be fast and simple cause I don't go into deductions and all that mess. Next year it will be horrid cause I will have a foreclosure and a bankruptcy to make sense of at tax time. I will have to hire an accountant then.

See ya!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Cheryl.
I think I can do that. Sounds yummy.
I think I can do with a wee bit more fat with the chicken breasts.
Vindaloo is a kind of curry. I love how it tastes, but have never found a good recipe.
I think it is an curry that the Brits developed based on Indian curries . . . I read that somewhere, not sure where.
There are some curries I love when I eat out but I have a darn time duplicating the taste I like at home. I've tried lots of packages and bottled curries, but I haven't found one I really love enough to try.
Maybe someone here can help me!
Old 04-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Its 2:30pm and our snow total is about 13 inches and its still coming down heavy...Blizzard warning until 10pm and winter storm warning until 7am tomorrow morning...I know we wont be going anywhere until they plow our parking lot and street...several people have got stuck trying to get into our lot today...STAY HOME PEOPLE....LOL
Old 04-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

You poor thing!
Take care and enjoy your at home time.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #145
Big Yapper!

I hope the Jet Stream rapidly changes course and sweeps that storm north of you. It could happen! You never know. If it doesn't, I hope you can entertain yourself indoors and maybe light a fire. LC hot chocolate? Favorite quilt and a great novel? How about a hot bath with nice bubbles and some candles to take you away to a tropical island. (LMAO) Just ignore me.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

16 inches and counting! Darn snow !
Old 04-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everybody.

I just need to vent. I ate off plan Friday night. It was a conscious decision tondo it, but I am dying here! All I can think about is food! I hate this feeling. Praying I make it through!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #148
Big Yapper!

Michele, shovel as you go!

Cfine, I was SO tempted to eat at a Mexican restaurant today. I made something like it at home, but it wasn't the same. I just wanted to cut lose and "go to town" on the real thing. I told myself that one day a month won't kill me. Surely I can allot one day a month to just be FREE! Well, apparently that one day still awaits me. I made it through today.

What you're saying is what frightens me. You give in and then the monster takes ahold of you. It wants to be fed again, and again. It's like opening Pandora's Box! When will it end? Should you just have not "gone there" to begin with? That's what freaks me out about "cheating." I hate calling it that because it's my life and if I choose to eat one way or the other, it's my choice.

Anyway, I hope you can get past this hump and get back in the middle of the road where it's comfortable and safe.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #149
Blabbermouth!!!

What you are describing is why I don't let loose anymore. I don't want the pain if having to restart again and nver knowing if the next time I will be able to.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #150
Senior LCF member

What I've learned is that the issue is one of "compulsion." That's what to avoid. I'll explain--

When I got to goal, I began allowing myself an occasional 'indulgence.' Keep in mind that I need to eat very low carb, so an indulgence for me might be a banana smeared with natural peanut butter, or a dessert in a restaurant.
I kept them few and far between--and it was working.

Suddenly, I began to experience urges to buy a pint of Haagan Daz--and finish it off immediately, or buy some muffins to have with my coffee--and eat 2 big ones. These 'urges' were difficult to resist, but the more I gave in, the more frequently they occurred.

What I learned from a lot of reading is that they originate in our 'lower brain' and are usually evoked after any significant weight loss or even just a perception of dietary restriction. The body views weight loss as a negative, and is always trying to re-fill those empty fat cells--which we never totally lose. These urges only began in me once I lowered my guard--during weight loss, I was very 'hard core.'

The key (which I'm still learning) is to tell the difference between an urge to compulsively eat (regardless of the food or quantity), and consciously allowing myself to have a 'treat' on occasion. And not letting the latter lead to the former. It's not easy.