Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Todays a good day for me,had a breakfast of eggs and bacon,atkins meatloaf meal for lunch and probably fish and broccoli for dinner.Just drinking water today,no diet drink for awhile.
alabama sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 4, 2013
everyone! Still hanging in there...there are times when I feel like throwing in the towel but then I just think of all the things I want to do as a thinner person...gets me through it! Scale as gone up a little in the past couple days...not sure why other then I'm feeling a little constipated ...that's sure an uncomfortable feeling! Haven't had much of a problem with that thank God!

Cheryl: I guess I didn't really pay attention to the music...was too busy trying to keep up with Richard! Lol

Have a wonderful evening ladies!
Old 04-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
Good for you, Michele, for sticking with it. The scale has been teetering up and down for me over the last week or so too. I just have to tell myself that it will go down, just be patient.

Hope everyone has had a good day! It is so beautiful outside where I live. I am loving it!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #94
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Don't give up, Michele! I know it seems like a very long road but we need to break our goals up into much smaller ones. Take it one decade of weight at a time and be tickled pink when you can check that goal off. Happiness and contentment awaits at the other end of this struggle. You will be so glad you didn't "throw in the towel."

I'm doing well. Heading for bed. Going to lay off vodka this week. I made the bottle last for 8 full days which is a total record but I do feel it is slowing me down. I want to make some headway so I'm going to try and do the rest of this week (hopefully 7 days) booze-free.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
I got a lot of exercise in this weekend, but I was also much hungrier than normal as a result. I added more food to my plan the last couple of days and think I may now mentally want more. Since I am not going to do quite as much this week I hope the hunger tapers off a bit and I will return to my standard plan amount of carbs and calories.

Just curious, how have you all determined your goal weights? I am trying to figure out what mine should be.

Cindy- Congrats on your new low!

Winifred- Sounds like you had a good meal plan yesterday. KUTGW!

Michele- You and I have the same starting weight so I can tell you it gets easier the longer you work at it. Breaking your goals into to smaller 10lb or even 5lb increments really helps. Each milestone you meet will reinforce the positive aspects of eating LC. Hang in there during those hard times, it is worth it.

Leo- I so agree with the weight loss being 95% mental. I know that my attitude toward eating will dictate my success. If I don't like what I am eating I won't stick with it long term. Changing my attitude toward LC was key for me. Now I look at it in a positive light and I look at all the foods I can have rather than the few high carb foods I choose not to have. I tend to eat the same foods over and over so the panning gets easier. But if I am off my "routine", especially when dining out, I have to be careful of what I eat and plan in advance.
I also just told my BF yesterday that I think I am shrinking. Next time I go to the doc I am going to get measured.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Cfine: patience is a key factor with losing weight....I weigh myself everyday which I need to learn not to do , just can't talk myself into it yet

Cheryl: I won't be throwing in the towel just yet! I want this too bad to give up!

Phranquie: How long has it taken you to lose the amount you have? You are such an inspiration!! I believe you were on the boards yrs ago when I was....have you been at it the whole time or did you have hiccups too?

Scale was nice to me this morning...lost the bit I had gained do to some things moving/flowing like they should...guess I was full of it...lol

Have a great evening everyone!!!
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #97
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Michele- If I weighed daily, I would drive myself crazy because I am too emotionally attached to that scale number. Even if I tell myself that an additional pound is just a 'normal fluctuation,' I get depressed--and am then prone to say WTH and overeat. I have always weighed weekly, and I mark my weight on a calendar to keep a record and observe trends over time.

I know that some people do very well weighing daily, and it might be simply a matter of temperament. I just know that it's a dangerous habit for me.

Frankie- I never actually chose a 'goal weight.' At over 300 lbs, I simply wanted to lose enough to function better. I originally planned to maintain at 170 because that was my lowest ever adult weight (for about a half hour), and my doctor actually encouraged me to stop at that point. However, I felt that I would be better off at a lower number, and from then on, I decided based on how I 'felt.' I feel great at 143-45, so that's where I stayed. I've gone below that twice to see if I should go lower, but I don't feel well losing any more.

My advice would be to go by how you look and feel. All sorts of factors--age, body structure, amount of weight lost, etc.--will influence the optimum weight for an individual. The only thing to beware of is choosing some arbitrary number ("That's what I weighed when I graduated from high school") and insisting on getting to that weight. It might be a good weight for the person--but it also might be much too low.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #98
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I remember being in the nurse's office in 2001 weighing 376 lbs and she said so what goal weight do you want...170 lbs? I said that sounds as good as any other number. That's what I weighed in high school. I never in a million years thought I would actually end up achieving it and moving oast the number. I am right now 156.6. I think my goal range will be 150-155 but will wait and see. I don't want to eat less than I do now to do it. I am 65 this year and figure age comes into play. I am 5'7.5" and that is in the bigger range of BMI. BMI says 125 to 162.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Leo: I have this fear of missing a loss if I don't weigh daily ....weird I know! I'm going to eventually try to ween myself from weighing daily...maybe once I reach the 200s lol
Old 04-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #100
Big Yapper!

Lots of good stuff being said here. I am with you, Leo. I broke that habit of weighing daily. I am going for weighing once a month. Even weekly might be enough to shoot me in the foot. If I'm not down any weight in a week or God-forbid I'm up? Game over. I can only trust the number I see after a month of living it to the best of my ability.

I've never been this free of the scale before. It's a wonderful thing and I know I'm going to cement this WOE much better, not believing that what I put in my mouth today will show an immediate result tomorrow. I don't think that's reasonable.

I guess this is day 10 being back on Atkins. Feels like longer but not because I'm not enjoying it. I am loving the food. Any diet where you don't have to limit fat is fine by me. Ever eat tuna fish out of the can, plain? I know some people can do that and actually like it but that leaves my mouth dry and screaming for mayo.

A low fat diet is torture to someone like me. It is tough sometimes to have no "crunch" in life, like crackers or a toasted roll, but it's just the way it has to be. I know there are recipes out there for parmesan crackers. Someday I'll give those a try.

Have a lovely day, everyone.

Last edited by CherylB; 04-09-2013 at 03:50 PM..
Old 04-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #101
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloude1 View Post
Leo: I have this fear of missing a loss if I don't weigh daily ....weird I know! I'm going to eventually try to ween myself from weighing daily...maybe once I reach the 200s lol
I used to feel the exact same way. But if that loss isn't still there at the end of the month, it wasn't real anyway. And when it goes up or doesn't move at all, it puts a dark cloud over my head for the entire day. That's no way to live.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #102
Senior LCF member

But Michele, how can you 'miss' a loss? If it's a loss, it will be there whenever you weigh yourself--and if you wait a few days, it might bring some friends along, and you can enjoy a really delightful loss.

Here's why I find weighing less frequently better for me. It focuses me daily on my eating--i.e., staying on plan, following my menus, etc. rather than the number on the scale. If I weighed daily, I'd allow the scale number to dictate my behavior.

I know this because there have been times when I needed to 'tweak' my plan, and I weighed daily to see what was occurring from day to day because I wasn't confident of my choices. I found that if I saw a loss, I was so happy that I'd tend to want to 'treat' myself--with food, of course. THEN, if I saw a gain, I'd get so annoyed that I'd say WTH--and eat too much.

Weighing weekly, I don't experience that same effect--regardless of the number. I look ahead and know that if I see a gain, I now have 7 days to lose it. It enables me to treat the number more objectively as simple 'data.'

Please keep in mind that I'm NOT advocating my way--just sharing my experience. We all have to do what works best for us.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl & Leo: you both have valid points! I'm going to eventually break this daily habit I guess it's better to have one disappointing day once a week then several a week...if this should be the case....a loss is good no matter when it comes
Old 04-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am also a daily weigher. For me, if I don't weigh, I tend to stray off the path with my food choices. Funny how everyone is different.

I told my friend today that I'm ready to be skinny. After I thought about it, I realized that the statement really made no sense. If I woke up skinny tomorrow, I wouldn't really appreciate it because I wouldn't have worked for it. I am glad to be on this journey, and I am thankful for every day that I can choose to make positive changes for myself.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #105
Big Yapper!

I'D appreciate it!!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I don't weigh at all, it's total denial and I know that.
I will soon as it's just easier to face when I know I have started to lose.
I can tell I've lost a bit in two weeks as my bra is starting to fit again without me bulging out the top. How cool is that? I am glad I never purchased larger size, as I go through fits trying to find the right sizes.
No alcohol for two weeks . . . that has been easy so far.
Low carbs . . . a bit harder, but not too hard. I've had some fluctuating moods and some periods of tiredness, but nothing that lasts for long. I am pretty pumped today . . . plus a meeting got cancelled so I have some found time!
Not so great on the exercise, but that was third on my plan. I have done some so that will have to do for now.
Great to hear about everyone's progress and challenges and tips.
This support is really making a huge difference to me.
Thanks everyone and love the day!

Last edited by Patience; 04-10-2013 at 06:43 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's great Bella! It feels so good to have your clothes fit. This lifestyle gets easier the more you do it. Just keep up the good work. Don't feel like you have to exercise. A 10 minute walk would be good, but it is not necessary to lose weight. I lost my first 40lbs without exercising.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am a daily weigher. I find when I do not weigh I am not as accountable to myself. If I purposely don't weigh then it is easier to ignore weight creep. Luckily, I don't get too frustrated with the normal daily fluctuations and gains as long as the overall trend is downward right now. I use the scale as a tool like I do my food journal or kitchen scale. If I go more than a week without losing it is time to look at my food journals and see what is up.

Michele- I am a flawed and not so successful long time low carber. I had a good success in 2003 and lost quite well (120lbs) and kept it off for a few years. I had some medical issues and let old habits of comfort foods and binge eating creep back in while recuperating from 3 surgeries. I have had several diet relapses like this over the past several years, losing 40 or 80lbs only to falter and gain it back. Last year I gained back 80lbs I had lost the year before. Sad but true. I restarted last July at my highest weight ever of 325+ (the scale would not register exactly how much more I was).

I have had two changes this time. I am dealing with my binging head on while I am losing weight. I am more aware and I am learning better control and coping methods than ever. I never really dealt with it before, so it would always come back really strong after a period where I felt deprived (insert "diet" here). I am also not looking forward to the end of the "diet" as there is no end for me. I am no longer thinking I will be back to eating more carby food in six months or a year. My outlook has changed on the way I view how I am eating now. I do not let myself feel deprived or feel like I am even on a diet. I am managing my food very closely and am at a point where I am quite comfortable knowing I will eat this way forever, only adding in more calories if I need to stop losing. I am preparing for maintenance to be more difficult than weight loss as this is when I have relaxed and not been as regimented with food in the past. Little by little I would get slack about my eating until my binging was at full throttle. I know now that I will always need to be vigilant about what and how I eat. Sometime this feels like a daunting task to ALWAYS have to be vigilant. But in reality it is a lot easier than being morbidly obese. A lot easier. It is easier than buying clothes I don't like because they are the only things to fit my body. It is easier than wondering if I will fit in a booth or airplane seat. It is easier than feeling out of breath and unsteady and cumbersome in my own skin. It is easier than hearing rude comments about my body from total strangers.

My outlook on being in control of my food is positive. I finally understand I am not like other people where food is concerned and I will never be able to eat like them so I have stopped comparing the way I eat to the way my friends eat. I am concentrating only on what I need to do for my body and lifestyle.

Last edited by Phranquie; 04-10-2013 at 07:01 PM..
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/322/200
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Some great posts. I'm really busy but celebrated Day 10 of being back on plan.

My event is Saturday and I won't be quite as busy for about 6 weeks before the next event.
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #110
Senior LCF member

Cindy- Good luck with your event on Saturday--and congratulations on staying on plan. I know from experience that when I was busy and stressed at work I tended to be careless about my eating. You're doing great!

Frankie- Thanks so much for your candid comments about the difficuty of maintenance. I've been maintaining for 2 years, and I'm really struggling--but determined to master this. Throughout weight loss, I never had a binge episode, so I'd assumed that behavior was gone with the weight, and I wasn't prepared for how it roared back. But ALL of the reasons you've listed for never wanting to go back to obesity are mine as well. Your experience was comforting in a way because it so parallels mine. It's nice to know that others have had the same issues.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for feedback, cfine. For now I am keeping exercise at lower priority than eating. I do quite a bit of walking and gardening (hardly any housework!), so I am not as concerned about that right now as getting settling into my eating plan. It does feel good to feel a bit lighter and is motivation to keep going.

Good day all!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Phranquie: I think it's all a mindset....I'm finding it alot easier to stay on plan this time around...more so then any other time in my life. I want this so bad! I want to be able to enjoy some things with my son who lives in Cheyenne, Wy and there is so much to do in that area with Denver being only 90 miles away It's never to late! I'm hoping I still have another 45 yrs of life left in me

Cindy: glad you are back on track and posting again!

Bella: You have great willpower not weighing! You will succeed at this!

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: groovygiirl
Stats: 301/261.6/200
Start Date: Feb 13, 2013
Hi all. I'm a daily weigher too. It keeps me honest. When I stop weighing then I go into denial and the weight comes back on. I don't let the scale affect my daily mood but I use it as a gauge for how I'm eating. I think I would be much more crushed if I didn't weigh for a month and had little to no loss at the end of it. But that's just me, I'm a need to know right now so that I feel in control kind of person.

My exercise is chasing after my kids and cleaning my house, which is constantly with a 3 yr old around. That's enough for now.

Anywho... I hit my goal of 20 lbs today! yay me! Next goal is 30 lbs by May 11th... feeling great today, and feel that 10 lbs is doable for then, we'll see how I feel in a week or so! lol!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Shannon, kudos on reaching your goal!

Michele, I agree with what you are saying about mindset. I too want this so bad this time. I feel like I've got a good start, it took me some time to really recommit and I am not going to squander it easily.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Feeling guilty here.....just ate a small piece of Russell Stovers SF chocolate....probably shouldn't have bought them but was having such a chocolate craving....Ugh! Guess I will find out tomorrow if it was a really bad idea...lol
Old 04-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't think you should feel guilty, Michele. I eat the peanut butter cups at least once per week with no problems. Whatever works for you is the best solution. That little piece of candy is not going to suddenly cause you to gain weight. Guilt over food has been an emotion that I have been working through over the last year. I try not to ever feel guilty if I eat something that I truly want. I eat it, and move on.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #117
Big Yapper!

Just checking in with my Challenge Ladies and want to say that I thought I had stalled but because I wasn't going to weigh until the end of the month, I had no clue. I caved and weighed this morning and I'm down almost 9 lbs since restarting Atkins on March 31st. I'm getting there, so I'm going to keep on keepin on.

Best wishes to everyone out there. I hope you are also doing well and feeling in the groove. Memorial Day's coming!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl you ....I'm so happy for you!

Cfine: thanks !

Last edited by thecloude1; 04-11-2013 at 06:11 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #119
Big Yapper!

Thanks, Michele! You rock, too!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cindy- Great job on being back on plan for 10 days. I hope your even goes well this weekend and you can relax afterward.

Michele- If there is something I really want I figure out a way work work it into my plan. I cut carbs and calories somewhere else to allow for it. So if you really want that SF candy try to figure out a way to have it within your plan allowances.

Leo- Yeah, I am going into maintenance being extremely cautious this time. I know that losing is the easy part for me and I get great reinforcement by seeing the weight come off and I am so focused that I do not get too many binge urges. Maintenance is a whole different story and my binge tendencies come out so much easier if I am not really in control.

Cheryl- Congrats on your loss, you're doing fantastic.

Shannon- Awesome job,,,congrats on reaching your first goal! I hope you had a wonderful birthday.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote