Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Century Club
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #61
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
No time to read but wanted to just post how I'm doing. Weighed at the Dr's office today and it was down 5 lbs from when I began Atkins. Their scale is usually 3 lbs more than mine weighs in the morning before drinking water or putting on clothes so I'm feeling really fortunate at how things are going.

I feel great, feel slimmer, in ketosis, loving the food I'm eating, enjoying my coffee with cream, and all is right with the world. What more could you ask for?

Sleep tight! Be back tomorrow. I'll have more time and can catch up on the posts.

My Journal.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Hello everyone,

I heard from the hospital today and got a date for the surgery. April 24th, I have to be there at 5:30 am and on April 16th, I have to go for the presurgical bloodwork & EKG tests. My insides are shaking but I am excited too. I told my boss and will be out of work 4 weeks on short term disability.
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #63
Big Yapper!

Woohooo! How exciting! We will be praying for you. I'll mark down the date so I don't forget. Remind me what parts will be beautified? Just think how great you're going to look and feel once your incisions have healed! You'll think it was worth it in the end.

I'm going to go back now and read the posts I missed yesterday.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #64
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovygiirl View Post
Morning all! Did some calorie number crunching on a tracker and I've figured out generally what I can eat to keep my calories low. It's totally doable so I'm excited to give this a try.

My daughter had dental surgery yesterday (she's 8) and that was really stressful. She had to be put to sleep and totally panicked when it came to time to do that. Was really hard to watch my baby be so scared Felt totally helpless. But she was fine and she is feeling pretty good today thankfully. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my back, I guess I've been worried more than I thought about yesterday. So glad to have that stressful and worrying day over with.
Oh no! I feel sorry for all the terror your DD went through, and the fear you experienced over her being anesthetized. When you said "put to sleep" I thought of a sick animal being put down. I was glad to see you meant sedated. It's so hard to see a child in such distress. I'm glad it's behind her now.

Glad you've worked out your calories and it's working for you.

Have a great day and weekend, everyone! I'm doing great, myself. Very content and on my way.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 4, 2013
Mary: hope everything goes smoothe! Exciting!
Cheryl: glad you are content and on your way!
The scale was nice to me this morning...another pound is history!! Yay!!
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Cheryl- Great job on the loss showing on your doc's scale. Don't you just love that feeling of everything just feeling right with eating and losing well.

Mary-Exciting news on the surgery date, you must be so thrilled to have it done this month. I am starting to look into plastics and get excited and nervous at the same time thinking about it. I have read that just getting through the first few days of pain/swelling is the hardest, then once the healing begins it is a lot easier. It is fortunate that you'll be able to take the time off of work to recuperate.

Michele- Good job, every pound off is another pound closer to goal.

Shannon- I am glad the stress from your daughter's surgery is over. That is good that you were able to review your food logs and look at cutting the calories a bit and still be satisfied. I think this is key, to still be satisfied. It does take a little extra work and planning but the payoff of weight loss is such a good incentive.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: groovygiirl
Stats: 301/261.6/200
Start Date: Feb 13, 2013
Cheryl, I hadn't thought of that, you are right it does sound like that. Yes! Anesthetized! LOL!

Calorie counting and staying away from all the freaking chocolate in my house is working! I'm down to a new low today Thank goodness... it was not good to see that a few days of eating the wrong foods gave me a 5 lb jump up. So glad to be back on track!

Have a great weekend everyone! TGIF!
groovygiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #68
Big Yapper!

Yea US!!! Look at us go! So great to see everyone posting good news. I hope those who may not be posting are just busy right now. If you're struggling, please come out of hiding so we can support you.

Michelle, what kind of kitty is that in your avi? It looks like a pedigree. So purrrrty!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl....she is a lynx point ragdoll.....She is my little princess
Old 04-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #70
Big Yapper!

What does a little kitty like that cost? I would spring for a cat that pretty. What are they like? Do they shed alot? How about for allergy sufferers?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

I paid $650 for her...that included first shots and spaying....she is a long haired cat so she does shed...my husband has allergies but as long as he doesn't pet her he is fine. They are called ragdolls because they are so docile and laid back that they go nearly limp when you hold them as long as you hold them a lot as kittens and keep doing it.....I can hold her like a baby because I always held her that way...my mom has one from the same breeder and mother cat as mine and she cannot hold her like that because she didn't do it enough when she was little. I think Himalayan cats possess alot of the same qualities too.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #72
Big Yapper!

Wow. She's beautiful but if I were to put that kind of money down on any animal (dog or cat), I wouldn't be in any hurry to spay or neuter it. I had a purebred miniature american eskimo dog and I waited for a number of years to breed her. I finally found the right "guy" and she had five lively little beautiful babies. Four boys and one girl. I have videos of her giving birth (or "whelping") and of the pups all the way through the weaning process. Anytime I feel the urge to get a puppy, I can just pop that tape in and the urge will pass! They are so destructive. Darling but so mischievous!

If I ever were to go for a cat, it would need to be one that kind of behaves like a dog. I live in a duplex and the people upstairs have a dog, so I won't be getting a cat until "the coast is clear" but there are cat doors installed all over this apartment. And I do mean all over! She has them in both outside storm doors, in the door that leads to the basement and then one in the basement window! No way a cat can't get outside in this place. Not unless we block the way.

Last edited by CherylB; 04-05-2013 at 05:46 PM..
Old 04-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Way to go Cheryl, on the weight loss.

MaryMary, how exciting to be getting to do your surgery.

I've had one of those days. We had to sell doughnuts for a fundraiser. I didn't eat any, of course, but got stranded out there and was starving before I could get home and eat. I was so excited to walk in the kitchen and eat my deviled eggs that I had made the day before. My mother, who has Alzheimer's, had eaten them. She doesn't remember that certain things are mine. I just about cried, but I laughed it off and ate something else.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #74
Big Yapper!

Cfine, God bless you!! For making it through the bake sale and for shifting gears with grace for your Mother's sake. It's so hard to take care of an ailing parent. May God strengthen you through it all and give you the wisdom to take the extra effort to do what's right for you and your health. Sometimes we get so caught up in caring for everyone else that we ourselves fall through the cracks. You are just as important as your Mom and anyone else who falls under the umbrella of your care. You are not at the bottom of that list.

Goodnight. I'm off to bed now. I hope everyone sleeps well and has awesome dreams.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Will be praying all goes well Mary.Surgery is always scary but God will be there with you all will be well.
alabama sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:10 AM   #76
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Thanks, everyone. I will keep you up to date on the developments.

It is good to hear all the developments of everyone's journeys. I am still doing the morning meditation I learned recently and the prosperity prayer. I had my annual review Thursday. It was good and the reward is always is always nice.

Time to climb out of bed and get the show on the road. It is going to be another beautiful day weather-wise. Haapy trails to you all.
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning ladies! Hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend so far! My heel is finally getting better so I have been exercising a bit this past week....I love to use my Wii fit ....fun workout! Yesterday I popped in Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies..OMG...I thought I was going to die...LOL...I could only do about 15 mins of it....but it was fun even though I am so uncoordinated! I figured as long as Im moving it doesnt matter if Im doing the steps right .

Happy Low Carbing!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #78
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I haven't worked out for 10 days now (usually I work out 2-3 times a week) because I'm trying to heal my sore knees. I'm trying to avoid knee replacement (surgeon's advice), and I usually cope just fine, but my sister was staying with me for 2 weeks while recovering from surgery, and I discovered that playing "Nurse Nancy" was too much of a strain on my worn out knees.

Usually, if I rest them, the pain will resolve, but each time I need to 'do' something (like the laundry), I get a flare up.

I want to give it another week before I start to be really concerned.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #79
Big Yapper!

I hope your knees feel much better soon, Leo.

Michele, how old are those "oldies" you were sweating too? I like a lot of the oldies but not the do-wop stuff.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope those knees are feeling better soon, Leo. I have pretty bad bone spurs on my spine, and working a lot with my arms gets the pain going. Ice helps me more than anything else. I also take turmeric and MSM and they seem to help also.

Thanks for the kind words, Cheryl. I have to make time for myself or I will go crazy . My husband and I just went out on the town last night. We went shopping, out to dinner, and stayed at a motel. We went hiking today. It's been a good day away from the stress.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:32 AM   #81
Senior LCF member

I was just feeling 'down' about my knees yesterday because I began to worry about possible surgery. But I also think the meds make me crazy [cause depression], so I've stopped them. I did a little reading around on the Internet and found some people who also gave up meds and use something called "Biofreeze"--a topical gel/spray. I checked it (it's OTC), and it gets great reviews--and is expensive (which may mean it works)--so I ordered some. If it can reduce the pain and inflammation, I'll be really relieved.

I was 147 this morning--at the borderline of 'unacceptable' for me, and my goal for April is to be in the 141-43 range, so I need to get serious this week. Now that my sister has gone home and I'm getting back into my own familiar routine, I need to get back into serious weight-loss mode.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Do you mind me asking how tall you are, Leo?
Sounds you have a phenomenal journey and are so close to your goal.
Sending you a ton of positive vibes this morning
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #83
Senior LCF member

Bella- I 'used' to be 5'4", but I've shrunk in old age (I'm 71), and my doctor now measures me at 5' 2.5" (it's true; the cartilege in our spine deteriorates, and we get shorter.

Keep in mind that my relatively high weight for my height includes probably 8-10 lbs of 'loose skin' (which gets covered by clothing so as not to scare anyone:-)

I've actually been 'at' my goal for the past two years. I called goal at 145 and have remained between 144 and 148 for 2 years. However, my 'goal' for this challenge is to lower my 'range' to 141-145. I've been down to 141 several times, but I bounce right back up. Now I want to make it permanent.

Last edited by Leo41; 04-07-2013 at 08:00 AM..
Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Leo.
What are the things that you have learned along the way?
Well, I understand that could take a while, but what do you consider among the more important things?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/322/200
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Yikes .... entire post gone and this group has been BUSY!!

I'm good. Celebrating 7 days back on plan and I celebrated 319 on Friday (I weigh once per week).

Working like crazy .... including just getting ready to go to work now. I have a big event this weekend and there is so much to get done. Normally I would be working from home but still experiencing computer issues

Leo ~ I don't care if anyone sees the pedometer and that is a great idea about using a ribbon to tie it on. Thanks. Sorry that you are still in pain and I hope the new product works.

Mary ~ Awesome news about getting your surgery date and I've looked at a couple of the pedometer watches.

CheesyJane ~ Sounds good except what if you are wearing something without a pocket?

Frankie ~ Yes Frankie I have so much more energy and get really excited about walking up the stairs without being out of breath. I'll look into the fitbit zip because I always have to wear a bra

Michele ~ Your cat is beautiful and on another pound GONE!

Chris ~ so awesome that you have learned to harness your addiction into becoming healthy

Bella ~ it must have felt great avoiding having a drink!

Gracie ~ looking forward to getting to know more about you.

CheryB ~ So true, I can also get addicted to almost anything and on the new low!

Shannon ~ Glad that everything worked out with DD, dental surgery can be scary.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #86
Big Yapper!

I'm waiting with bated breath for that answer, too. Leo, you are remarkable!

As for me, I'm doing great! Sometimes I do some late-night "last ditch eating", you might say. But the worst I've done is eat some regular peanut butter by the spoon. I'm not weighing until the end of the month so all I can go by is ketosis and how I feel. I feel like I'm definitely shrinking but the last few days I feel like things have slowed down a bit. Might not be, but it's what I'm sensing.

I love not feeling the call of the scale! I feel so free. We'll see the end result when I finally do the weigh-in. When I pack myself into the few jeans that I currently can wear, I keep telling myself that the next time I put them on, they will fit better. That's one hell of a motivational tool! And that saying came to my mind last night: "Every day and in every way, I'm getting better and better." I don't even know where I heard that saying but that is how I feel.

Leo, I hope that spray analgesic helps your poor painful knees. I'm glad you stopped taking those pills. Depression is a horrible thing to have to live with. I know from experience. I take meds for that myself.

Sending out to everyone today!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We use bio freeze and it is worth the money, Leo!
Old 04-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #88
Senior LCF member

cfine- Relief from pain would be worth any amount, IMO. I don't know why I never heard about Biofreeze before. Ever since I ordered it, at least 4 people have told me that they've used it, and it's great (that's apart from the reviews I read before I ordered).

Cindy- I'm glad you celebrated that 319--down into a 'new decade' is always a cause for celebration.

Bella & Cheryl- I am no 'role model' because I spent my entire life (it seems) dithering about my weight in what I now know is a 'pattern' for the morbidly obese. I 'maintained' at about 260 or 70, and periodically, my weight would creep up, and when I got so uncomfortable with my size, I'd 'diet' down. Going from the 300s to 260 or so, I'd feel 'thin,' relax, and stay there for a while--until the pattern repeated itself a couple of years later. I hated being a 'fat person,' but I assumed that I always would bem so I spend my life ignoring the issue as much as possible.

What I've learned is that weight management is at least 95% 'mental' if not more so. I don't know how I got into the 'mental space' this time to actually lose to a 'normal' weight, but I don't want to ever lose this 'obsession.' For me, planning has been (and continues to be) key. I shop for groceries a week in advance based on the menus I've planned, and each day I make sure that my food for the next day is 'ready' (defrosted if necessary, choppped if needed, etc.). I eat mainly simple, whole foods--and I am very carb sensitive, so I remain low carb. And I count calories--mainly because my body signals of satiation just don't work well. My relationship with food is too screwed up for me to 'listen' to my body.

Since I have to keep calories very low (post-menopausal and hypothyroid), I lost my last 100 lbs with JUDDD because it was easier to cycle calories (something I still do but more informally). Being able to manage to eat 400 cal for the day gave me an incredible sense of 'control' over food--and I realized that I had never felt that before. I always feared food and felt controlled by it. If there was an occasion, I 'knew' I'd be unable to resist overeating, etc. Once I controlled my eating on those 'down days,' I felt really empowered--and that has stayed with me.

Maintenance has been even more challenging than weight loss because (as I've read and learned), loss of weight is a negative for the body, and it's always trying to refill those empty fat cells--mainly by sending hormonal hunger signals AND urges for compulsive overeating. I've been able to recover from these binge-type episodes because of that 'control' I felt from doing JUDDD. Again, it's a mental state. I don't know how I got here exactly, but I have my fingers crossed that I can remain here.

I refuse to regain.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #89
Big Yapper!

I'm sure you will keep it off Leo because you know what it took to get here and you're willing to do what it takes to stay here. I know what you're saying about being a role model. Yes, it took you many years to get to where you are, but that doesn't take away from the fact that you're here. So many people who fight this fight never get to their goal. It would have been amazing for you to have gotten it done a decade or so earlier so you could have enjoyed more of your life, but it is what it is. We have to be thankful for what we have left to enjoy and pray that we will be healthy enough to enjoy the rest of our lives to their fullest.

I'm tired, y'all. I'm going to get off this computer and watch a program I taped today. See you's tomorrow. Sleep well and be proud.

Last edited by CherylB; 04-07-2013 at 06:39 PM..
Old 04-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Like it or not, Leo, you are a role model to me.
Sounds like a hero's (or heroinne's?) journey.
Good day everyon.e