Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Century Club
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #31
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Mary, how wonderful that you'll be having that procedure!! Make sure you give us the date it will be done so we can pray for you. You're going to look amazing! I'm excited for you. And as far as your husband and booze in the house goes, I understand why it would be hard to have it in the house. I'm glad his sister complied with your wishes. Sometimes people just don't think.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #32
Big Yapper!

Leo, how many calories do you eat a day when you are being good? "Low calories" could mean anything. I want to know what my reality might be someday, cause I think I might have to live on a stringent diet to maintain once I arrive at goal. Or in the neighborhood of goal. I think I'd be happy just to live in that neighborhood.

I'm sorry to hear of your binging. Please know that if you don't completely get a handle on that right now, you are in big trouble. I started at 234.6 and got down to 159.2. I am back up to 210. Guess how I got here. Yup. Don't do that to yourself. You've come too far and you are essentially "there." What you said you heard about continually being in weight loss mode to maintain the losses or we start to gain and keep right on gaining is exactly right. We all just have to learn to accept that so we can keep the weight off for good.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

My Journal.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
It is overcast today and with a slight headache I feel like snuggling down with my dogs and watching movies rather than working.

Cindy- What are you doing for exercise? On my days I do Zumba I can get up to about 10k steps on my pedometer, otherwise I just don't move enough daily. I have been parking way out in parking lots to get a few more steps in.

Mary- I average daily about 45 carbs but can bounce up to 75-80 when I have higher carb portions on the weekend. I am trying to raise my protein a bit more as I have been low at 50-60. Ideally I would like to be at 85g of protein a day.
Good for you for getting surgery for your loose skin. I am going to need plastic surgery as well. Right now I am getting a turkey neck and I am not sure it'll snap back in the coming months as I lose more weight. In the end my body will have some serious sagging skin which is at this point of just starting to get in the way of daily life for me.

Leo- Yes, I eat pretty low calories for a low carber. It is just what works for me and my body. I have tried higher calories and fewer carbs and do not lose well. Right now I like the way I am eating and losing so I won't change too much. I am a binger by nature as well and having controlled meals is helping with that, along with a lot of introspection and mindfulness and paying attention when my first reaction to stress or emotions is to eat. I am convinced now that this will be something I must address for the rest of my life. I will not be able to slack off on this as it is too easy for me to slide back to where I was. But dealing with this tendency and being vigilant about what I eat is on a daily basis infinitely easier than being morbidly obese.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #34
Big Yapper!

Chris, what a nice hubby to spring for your tummy tuck! If I can ever get work done, I'd like my arms, neck, and "chest" done. I don't know what else will need doing when I'm at goal, but these parts bother me right now. They will only get squishier over time and shrinkage.

Speaking of shrinkage, it's happening to me! I'm not weighing except once a month but I'm definitely getting smaller. Belly feels smaller today and I've been diuresing well. Atkins is going well so far. And I woke up with that old familiar "ketobreath" so I'm on course. It will be so thrilling to see what I weigh in one month, knowing I didn't stress out day after day over a number. It's so liberating to just follow the diet plan and see where the chips fall.

So, have a lovely day, people. Happy to be a part of this challenge!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #35
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Cheryl- I'm not sure what I need to eat to maintain because I've spent a lot of time doing 'damage control' in maintenance. I got to goal averaging 800 cal a day, and I think I can maintain at 1200, but in order to keep calories low and not lose my mind, I cycle calories. When I was losing, I ate about 400 cal on M, W, Fri and 1200 on Tues. and Thurs. On Sat. I would eat about 800, and I allowed myself one day a week (usually Sunday) to eat without counting. I always kept to 20g carbs or fewer because I am very carb sensitive.

Right now, I'm in weight-loss mode because I'm trying to get into the low end of my 'window' (and control the damage of my recent binge). Once I'm there, I plan to identify the level that will permit me to remain there--which I suspect will be 1,100-1,200 cal. But keep in mind that my own endo says my metabolism is slower than most, so you may not have to restrict as much as I do.

Frankie- I totally agree with you (and except for carbs, we're very similar). I know that I need to control this binge tendency NOW. I refuse to regain--period. I think the answer is to be more mindful--and to pay attention when I begin to experience the 'feelings' that accompany compulsive overeating. Yesterday, I knew the feeling and just was in a WTH mood and gave in. I don't want to continue doing that.

I read this wonderful little book Beating Overeating by Gillian Riley, and her basic principles are something I need to try to keep in mind. She says that we need to absolutely believe "I can eat anything at any time I choose." BUT I must weigh those decisions based on my personal goals and my self-concept.

Compulsive overeating certainly doesn't fit with my personal goal for weight management, but perhaps more important, it's not the person I want to be. I know I can compensate for periodic binges (at least I have so far), but that's not how I want to live my life. So introspection and mindfulness are my priorities this month.

Last edited by Leo41; 04-02-2013 at 10:41 AM..
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 154
Start Date: Jan 2001
CheesyJane, I found the challenge helpful to stay honest. Writing my food down in the morning on another thread helps to stay committed to what I am having for the day. Once I write it down, I know I have the food inhouse. Good luck meeting your goals. I meant to include you in the morning's note.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: groovygiirl
Stats: 301/261.6/200
Start Date: Feb 13, 2013
Thank you everyone for all your very helpful advice. Am feeling very frustrated with my slow weightloss. I have enough to lose that I feel I should be losing more consistently. I do eat pretty healthily but I haven't looked at what calories I'm eating so will punch in my meals into a tracker this week and see where I'm at. I am absolutely determined to get this weight off and I know I'm being a little impatient about it all.

I tried talking to my husband about it but he just gets frustrated with me... he thinks because I'm getting discouraged that I'm going to just quit trying which is very far from the truth. It's great to be able to talk to others who know what I'm going through. Thank you!!

Mary - my name is Shannon Thank you for your advice, I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Leo - thanks for your advice as well. I'm going to look into the calorie thing. It really makes sense to me.

Cindy - can't wait to go away. Going to visit the in-laws in California, should be fun!

Hope everyone had a great Easter
Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #38
Senior LCF member

Shannon- Please try not to be impatient. I never expected to be where I am now. I began losing simply because I was so uncomfortable at 300+, but having been obese my entire life, I had no expectations of ever being 'normal.'

What I found helpful was to simply think in 5 lb increments, and to 'celebrate' every move down into a new 'decade.' That is, from the 260s to 250s, etc.

I lost all my weight at no more than 1 lb a week, but it all adds up eventually. If it's any consolation, losing slowly is considered healthier for the body.

You can do this, but from reading this board, I've noticed that people who are impatient tend to give up too soon. Don't let that happen to you--losing is definitely worth it!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #39
Big Yapper!

I am just beginning to understand the whole patience thing. Being impatient doesn't get the weight off faster! Weighing daily instead of monthly doesn't get you there faster, either. Think what we do to our heads by all this hyper-monitoring. I am really going to do my absolute best to enjoy the ride and weigh once at the beginning of each month. I know what to do, and as long as I do it, all should turn out fine.

If I have a very pitiful weigh-in at the end of a month, I will obviously have to rethink my diet plan (like changing from Atkins to something else.) But I'm pretty sure Atkins will still work for me. It seems that low carb just fits me and makes me feel at my peak.

I love how dedicated you all are to your method of losing. Clearly HOW we get there isn't as important as just getting there (as long as we are mindful of our health.) I don't believe in starvation. That's unsustainable and will ensure a rebound of weight lost eventually. I know we all have different metabolisms and we have to do what we have to do.

Time to eat my first substantial meal of the day. Sometimes LC works so well that my appetite is nil and I have to remind myself to eat.

Last edited by CherylB; 04-02-2013 at 01:41 PM..
Old 04-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I was in a bit of a fugue/fog midday . . . a mild headache and feeling of being off balance. Well, it was a bit more than a feeling as I tended to vere off the sidewalk a couple of times. I ate something, drank a couple of glasses of water, and took one aspirin and feel I am back to normal now. I keep waiting for the sense of euphoria I get in the early days of low carbing. Do others feel that way? I am 4 days in low carbing and 7 days in without alcohol.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Congrats Bella on 4 and 7. The low carb flu usually comes on around day 3-4 for the sugar detox. My DD has a hurrendous headache that started very innocently on day 3 but was a full blown migraine on day 4. I don't know about the euphoria but generally speaking you start to feel better in 7-10 days. Each day builds on the prior day. For me when I was eating junk the panic attacks returned in 3 weeks time and took about 7-10 days without sugar to stop. That for me was the big indicator. They were paralyzing. I haven't had a panic attack since mid July 2011, thanks be to God.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #42
Big Yapper!

Sounds like the dreaded "Atkins Flu." So many people experience that in the beginning. You're detoxing, too. You have to give it time and drink plenty of fluids and just eat well and get a lot of rest whenever you can throughout the day. I hope you feel better soon! I'm sure you will. In the meantime, be careful!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/320/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Wow .... it is nice to see the thread so busy. Just home from work and it is after 8pm - long day. Day 2 is just about over, planning a nice cup of sleepy time tea and a good book.

Steps today were 5,495 and didn't have the energy for the walking tape. My DH is on afternoons, meaning I can't do it in the morning (because he is sleeping) and I'm just too tired at the end of the day.

Frankie ~ I started doing a 1 mile walking tape, 3 x per week a couple of months ago and then we moved into a new office building, much much larger than before and a few of us girls decided to start wearing pedometers at work and because I really need the exercise, I get up at least 1 x per hour and walk around the entire building and if I need to get up and photocopy or something like that I walk around and then to the machine. I am gradually getting less and less out of breath which is a real plus. Problem is that I can't wear the pedometer on my waist, so I wear in on my sock but it is almost time for sandals.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #44
Senior LCF member

B]Bella-[/B] You might try drinking some sports drink in addition to water because they have added electrolytes that help during times like this. You have to be careful because some of the sugar-free ones are also higher carb. I've used Powerade Zero when doing colonosocopy prep, and it's zero carbs and calories.

Cindy- If the pedometer helps, then figure some way to attach it when wearing sandals--no matter how it looks! Perhaps with a ribbon around your ankle?

I swam laps at 300+ and didn't care that people saw me in a bathing suit because the swimming was good for me.

Even if you have to just attach the pedometer when you get to the office and take it off before you leave, if it helps, use it!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Cindy, my pedometer is in the form of a watch. It also tells time, calorie burn and heart rate.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cheesyjane
Stats: start......300.5 (highest ever)
WOE: Atkins (earlier version, 2002)
Start Date: April 2013
Cindy I use the Omron HJ-112 it is an awesome little thing. You don't have to strap it to anything! You can just keep it inside your pocket and it works like a charm. Not expensive either.

Bella I read that if you increase your salt intake a little it helps because you may be losing too much salt too quickly. You can have a cup of broth/boullion

Hope these tips help!

Last edited by cheesyjane; 04-03-2013 at 05:13 AM..
cheesyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bella- Great job on both the lower carbs and alcohol. Definitely staying well hydrated will help with the wonky feeling.

Shannon- I find that logging food each day really helps me not just daily but long term showing me my eating trends and changes. It really helps me plan my food each day ahead of time so that I stick to eating what I have planned and it is harder to veer off that plan.

Leo- I have read Beating Overeating and also recommend Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen. I completely understand about compensating for periodic binges. I feel like if I am not on top of it 100% that I could be one binge away from it becoming a lifestyle again. I work on dealing with the feelings daily. It is hard to not say WTH and just eat whatever I want since I have done this for so many years. Those urges really do take over my brain. Even though I have not binged in many months, I still have days where I feel the urge quite strongly. I have to be careful with determining the days where I am actually hungrier than normal and should eat verses the days where my feelings make me "feel" like eating.

Cindy- That is a great routine for getting in more steps each day. I got a fitbit zip and clip it to my bra or shirt. You must be feeling quite a bit stronger physically now with all the added steps. I am not quite there yet but it is a reminder to move more.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #48
Senior LCF member

Frankie-
Yes, I've read Brain Over Binge, too, and I like her idea that each time we resist the urge, we weaken the power of that lower brain. Like you, I know that I'm always one binge away from returning to that lifestyle--and I'm determined not to let that happen.

You should be really proud of being months free! My situation reminds me of smoking. Although I've never smoked, I come from a family of smokers, and several of my siblings quit for years--and then returned to smoking so very easily, I was astonished. They reported that throughout their years of abstinence, they continually fought the urge to smoke and never lost that desire.

Throughout my years of weight loss, I never once binged. And I really thought that the habit was gone with the excess pounds--until the urge returned, subtlely at first, and now full bore. So I now know that it's like smoking--it can become a habit if I allow it to happen, and I need to be especially vigilant to insure that doesn't happen.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 4, 2013
everyone! Just checking in....Glad to see everyone is so focused!
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Oh mercy, I have to worry about food AND smoking cravings . I haven't been a regular smokers in about fifteen years, but I still would do it if it wasn't so bad for me. Of course, food is a bigger problem. Some days are better than others. It helps that all things carby cause me a lot of physical pain at this point in my life so that makes it easier. The only way I stopped smoking was that it was causing me to have chronic bronchitis. I guess God knows what I need. I hate it that I had to get physically sick in each case to make me do what was best for my health, but I'm thankful for the opportunity to make my life better.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Feeling less wonky today and didn't wander off the sidewalk even once.
I did get a strong urge for a drink, but it was short-lived. I know it was response to a work-related issue. Thanks very much for the feedback, I really value everyone's experience and ideas.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
I would like to join you all,I am going to lose 30 pounds on your challenge.
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cheesyjane
Stats: start......300.5 (highest ever)
WOE: Atkins (earlier version, 2002)
Start Date: April 2013
Welcome!
cheesyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

Graciejean. This is a great group. When you feel comfortable, please tell us a little about yourself.

Chris, what you are describing with smoking and food reminds me of me close to 40 years ago. I used to smoke 2 packs a day, then got pregnant and the smoking intensified the morning sickness. So I quit smoking (never to resume), and proceeded to gain 80 lbs with that baby. I went from my wedding day weight of 140 lbs to baby on board weight of 220 lbs. what I did was replace one substance with another and never really got to the root cause of it all. Today I would have to say I am an addict (food,cigarettes,alcohol) and until I heal my spirit and mind and body, I will continue to turn to something to numb the uncomfortable feelings. So today I have a reprieve from the insanity of it all. And today I have an action plan with goals for my life. I stay away from the booze, the cigarettes, sugar, grains and legumes. I am taking some positive steps to find my way through this. I am measuring my portions, exercising (just a bit), praying, joined a Meditation Challenge with Deepak Chopra and sign up for a Prosperity Challenge. I am looking and replacing those nasty old behaviors with new healthy ones. I am very grateful, thank you God.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #55
Big Yapper!

That is EXACTLY what I call myself. An Addict covers everything and explains my reliance on all things pleasurable. I am an ex-smoker of cigarrettes and pot, I'm in a forever battle of the bulge and I completely sympathize with all of you who struggle, regardless of what it is you long for. Been there! Even freaking sugarless gum can be chewed at a pack a time, in one night. Two at a time (those dinky Dentyne or Trident pieces are way too small)!

It's a NEED. An ever-presant need. It doesn't even matter where it came from. It makes no difference in the fact that it exists and we have to find a way to manage it. We can't cure it. Not without a miracle from God. That I do believe in! But therapy, hypnosis, past-life regression, etc, I don't put much stock in.

It is what it is, ladies and gentlemen. We just have to learn how to harness the beast and ride it to our advantage. Yeehaw! Right now I am Ridin'!

(The google spell checker isn't working right now so pardon my mistakes.)
Old 04-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #56
Senior LCF member

I totally agree, Cheryl, that as addicts we have to honestly face our situation--and deal with it.

As Frankie has mentioned, 'mindfulness' is really important in learning to control binge behavior. If I can identify the 'urge' early enough, it's possible to abort it, but if I ignore those feelings, they will soon be so overwhelming that it's impossible to resist.

It helps to remind myself that I'm happiest when I'm managing my eating and giving in to those urges ultimately makes me miserable. Wishing happiness to all of us today.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I admitted to myself years ago that I have an addictive personality or whatever you want to call it. I made a decision last April to attempt to harness that addiction into becoming healthy. I religiously track my food, journal it, exercise, and pretty much think on these things a lot! I don't think on it any more than I used to though about my huge weight gains. I was morbidly obese and that took up most of my day loathing myself, feeling like crap, sick and tired.

MaryMary, I commend you for finding something that is helping you on the journey to spiritual healing. I think it is a very important aspect along this journey.

CathyB, I believe sometimes a miracle from God actually can come from therapy. I am a strong believer in God, and therapy helped me deal quite nicely with some childhood trauma. I used to think that we had to just put our trust in God, pray and believe, and that He would just miraculously handle it all. As I have gotten a bit older, I have found that putting an action behind the prayer accomplishes much more. I hope this is taken in the context it was meant, not being judge mental, just my observations on life.

I hope that everyone has a wonderful day.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: groovygiirl
Stats: 301/261.6/200
Start Date: Feb 13, 2013
Morning all! Did some calorie number crunching on a tracker and I've figured out generally what I can eat to keep my calories low. It's totally doable so I'm excited to give this a try.

My daughter had dental surgery yesterday (she's 8) and that was really stressful. She had to be put to sleep and totally panicked when it came to time to do that. Was really hard to watch my baby be so scared Felt totally helpless. But she was fine and she is feeling pretty good today thankfully. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my back, I guess I've been worried more than I thought about yesterday. So glad to have that stressful and worrying day over with.
groovygiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bella- Good job on resisting drinking! I am glad you are feeling better.

Leo-Right now being slightly regimented with my food helps me be more mindful. If I feel like eating, and especially eating off plan, I am finding that 9 of 10 times this is emotional hunger and not real. This is when I can take a look at what is going on to bring up the response that I need to eat. Most of the time it is stress. Even a constant lower level stress can rear up and push me to eat when my body is not hungry. If I can recognize this early enough I can usually talk to myself and stop what I am doing, take a few minutes to breathe and get focused and think about what I need to do to relieve the stress. This actually does help. If I just keep pushing it back, which I still do a lot of the time, the urge can get stronger or will go away for a bit and then BAM!, it'll hit really hard along with an "I don't care" attitude and with compulsive thoughts about eating. This is when I am closest to caving in to the urge to eat and when it is most hard to resist. This is when I have to stop everything else and get back in the right frame of mind and deal directly with the stress or emotion that I have been avoiding. Emotionally charged feelings bring on the strongest urges. I think I have avoided dealing with emotional feelings for so long that my natural response now is to eat and not deal with it. So forcing myself to deal is at times exhausting but is something I am learning to do. I have to be especially careful over the next day or two with everything I eat, how much I eat and when I eat it. This gives me a clue that when I get to maintenance that I am probably going to have to remain pretty regimented with my food plan.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #60
Senior LCF member

Frankie- Thanks for that description of your 'urges.' We're similar--except that so far I'm not good at identifying the root cause--or reacting well when the urge hits as you obviously are doing so well. I remember that Hansen specifically says that if we simply try to 'fight' it, we'll lose, and that's what I've experienced. It's so important to do exactly what you're doing and try to step back and explore the situation when you first experience the slightest urge. I'm trying to learn this.