Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Century Club
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
OMG, my ankle is killing me today. At some point during the night it woke me up with a sharp pain, and even walking around the house is kinda iffy. I think it's time to just plan to take several days off from ... well, as much as I can.

I so dislike doing this, because it's always hard to get started again. But man. It's one thing to work through some delayed-onset muscle soreness; it's another to act like a fool and aggravate an injury.

(Life is otherwise fine, to be clear - it's just the ankle that's a problem!)
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Just curious... What does your doctor say about the ankle? Because it seems like it's been a persistent problem for quite a few weeks, and it doesn't sound like it's healing. I don't know if "healing" is the right word, but this acute pain makes it sound (to me) as if it's actually getting worse. And since it's your ankle -- your foundation for mobility -- this problem isn't just about working out but is also about walking and your general quality of life!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #183
Senior LCF Member

I kind of haven't been to the doctor about my ankle Whenever I've gone to get joint pain checkup, it seems like I get told "Well, come back in two weeks" - no matter how long it's been going on. I've come to the conclusion that I'm unlikely to get any advice that I couldn't get on my own.

(When I had the shoulder injury, the doctor only prescribed physical therapy because I'd had pain for six months.)

Yesterday I whammed my other foot into a door frame - today I have some picturesque purple bruises. It's like my warranty just expired.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase View Post
I kind of haven't been to the doctor about my ankle Whenever I've gone to get joint pain checkup, it seems like I get told "Well, come back in two weeks" - no matter how long it's been going on. I've come to the conclusion that I'm unlikely to get any advice that I couldn't get on my own.

(When I had the shoulder injury, the doctor only prescribed physical therapy because I'd had pain for six months.)

Yesterday I whammed my other foot into a door frame - today I have some picturesque purple bruises. It's like my warranty just expired.
Ouch, Bianca! Hitting the other foot sucks! But your mobility and (I'm guessing) your balance are compromised by your existing injury so the *bad foot* is working against you and I'm going to blame the injured ankle for those new bruises...

I hesitate to suggest anything medical because I absolutely do NOT know what I'm talking about. But I would just like to mention that I know it's quite common for bodybuilders to get cortisone shots for joint injuries because the cortisone relieves the inflammation and allows the tissues to heal. The cortisone doesn't *fix* anything, according to what I've been told, it just relieves enough pressure to allow the body's natural healing processes to do their work. I just wanted to mention that in case you might be able to convince your doctor to actually treat this injury, instead of just letting you suffer daily pain for six months before taking action.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

I leave tomorrow for three weeks of vacation and, to be honest with you, I'm a bit *scared*. I'll be in Istanbul, Turkey for a few days and then two weeks in Naples, Italy.

My (new) trainer has been prepping me with "bodyweight" exercises, so I will be able to get my workouts in without dumbbells. But I'm going to need to motivate myself to do the work while I'm traveling. I *hope* I'm mentally strong enough to do what I need to do. But I'm a bit worried about becoming lazy while I'm away from home.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I leave tomorrow for three weeks of vacation and, to be honest with you, I'm a bit *scared*. I'll be in Istanbul, Turkey for a few days and then two weeks in Naples, Italy.

My (new) trainer has been prepping me with "bodyweight" exercises, so I will be able to get my workouts in without dumbbells. But I'm going to need to motivate myself to do the work while I'm traveling. I *hope* I'm mentally strong enough to do what I need to do. But I'm a bit worried about becoming lazy while I'm away from home.
What's worked for me (when I'm not benched) is planning for when I get back, so I don't have to make a decision to get back in this or that habit.

Have fun abroad! Tell us all about it when you get back!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Have fun abroad! Tell us all about it when you get back!
I'll still be here while I'm traveling! My trusty laptop will be with me. I can't leave you guys on your own, who knows how much trouble you'd get into without me?!?!
Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I can't leave you guys on your own, who knows how much trouble you'd get into without me?!?!
... shoot, she's on to us!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jazlyn
Stats: 290/243/160
Hi everyone. Sorry I've been MIA for so long. I've had a lot going on but I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted.

I'm doing water aerobics for an hour, 3 times a week. We got a new "wonder woman" instructor and it was killing me at first. I drag myself to the gym a couple of time a week and ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes, alternating between level 9 and level 15. I need to up my game at the gym but I just can't seem to get past that point.
Jazlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazlyn View Post
Hi everyone. Sorry I've been MIA for so long. I've had a lot going on but I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted.

I'm doing water aerobics for an hour, 3 times a week. We got a new "wonder woman" instructor and it was killing me at first. I drag myself to the gym a couple of time a week and ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes, alternating between level 9 and level 15. I need to up my game at the gym but I just can't seem to get past that point.
If you've found a level that you can do, do you really need to up your game? If you're trying to so something more intense, and can't, it sounds like you're already challenging yourself - even if you can't go higher just yet.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazlyn View Post

Hi, Jazlyn! Good to see you!

I think Bianca is right. I think it's more important to stay active than it is to *always* exceed your previous performance. Even bodybuilders "deload," which is to dial back the level of performance in order to build back up and make better gains.

You're doing GREAT!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the advice girls. I am going to stay where I am. I know I'm getting a good workout already.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

I'm in Naples, Italy right now, you guys! And I've been feeling pretty good about my strength and fitness... Until an elderly, German couple breezed past me while climbing Mt Vesuvius yesterday!

The incline of the trail was probably 30 degrees. And the path is all dry, volcanic dust. The temperature was 90, with no shade cover at our altitude. I was bent over at the waist, wheezing. And this couple -- who must be in their 70s -- absolutely put me to SHAME. I felt like a mug, literally eating their dust. But I had to laugh and tip my hat to that couple for being in such fantastic shape! They honestly make me want to work harder on my cardio when I get home.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

The pool has been closed since Friday and won't be open until next Friday. Last Friday the pool had a leak and it's closed Mon and Wed of this week for a state holiday. I haven't been going to the gym to make up for missed water aerobics. I was so dedicated. I am angry at myself.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

@Jazlyn: nothing to be mad about. Just start where you happen to be, and make a plan.

@Trillex: isn't that always the way? I used to run a 5K every Friday in DC, and there was always some senior citizen putting my time to shame!
Old 07-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Half an hour on the exercise bike today - we'll see how the ankle feels tomorrow!

Even got in a few minutes of Judge Judy!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Half an hour on the exercise bike today - we'll see how the ankle feels tomorrow!

Even got in a few minutes of Judge Judy!
I hope your ankle is getting better! I'll light a candle for you at one of the churches here. One of these churches is built on top of the remains of an old Pagan temple, so we've got a few religions covered!

Seriously, though, I do hope your ankle is getting better / will get better soon.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #198
Senior LCF Member

And let us know how you're liking Italy!
Old 07-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

Italy has been super fun! And I honestly think that all of my training during the past year has made it better.

Last night, we went to the Africana Famous Club -- you kind of *have to* go there when you're in southern Italy, because it's one of the classic places that changed the way that modern night clubs operate. Anyway, I danced for 3 solid hours last night without stopping. Of course, that wouldn't have been a big deal "back in the day" but it's been A WHILE since I've been able to dance for more than two consecutive songs! I was sweating like crazy last night but I really didn't feel winded or out of breath.

And I would have danced for longer than 3 hours but my friends were tired! Did I dance on a speaker, like the old days? Yes, I did!

Not gonna lie to you, my knees are extremely stiff this morning. That wouldn't have happened back in the day...
Old 07-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

I assume that the only reason your profile photo hasn't been changed to dancing on a speaker is that you didn't have a camera.

Three days in a row on the exercise bike, and the ankle is OK so far. I'm going to give it a few more days before I try some strength training.

No Judge Judy on the weekends, though
Old 07-29-2013, 12:07 AM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I assume that the only reason your profile photo hasn't been changed to dancing on a speaker is that you didn't have a camera.

Three days in a row on the exercise bike, and the ankle is OK so far. I'm going to give it a few more days before I try some strength training.

No Judge Judy on the weekends, though
I HAVE A PHOTO OF MYSELF CLUBBING TO UPLOAD!!! Seriously! For some reason, my forum photo albums have disappeared and I haven't been able to upload photos.

But I hit the Africana Famous Club on Friday night -- a classic, old European club that was one of the first in the world to follow Ibiza back in the late 60s / early 70s -- and I ABSOLUTELY DANCED ON A SPEAKER! The DJ played Macklemore and I was so shocked to hear it, I got up on the speaker. HaHa!

I also danced on the speaker to David Guetta "Play Hard" because, well, GUETTA!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

Got sidetracked by talk of Guetta... Forgot to say: I'm so glad your ankle is getting better!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #203
Senior LCF Member

OMG, your trip sounds awesome!

(Also, stationary bike today, and Judge Judy informing someone they had the worst defense she'd ever heard!)
Old 07-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #204
Senior LCF Member

More stationary bike! More Judge Judy!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:39 PM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

If that was the worst defense that JUDGE JUDY has ever heard, that person should actually be proud of himself or herself for achieving an elite level of awfulness!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

I'm hitting the gym this morning while my son is at football conditioning. I haven't gone since last Sunday. I feel like a slug. I got out of my groove.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Jazlyn - good for you for getting back to the gym!

Trill - this woman didn't bring any documentation (saying "I'm not the one suing someone"), and claimed that the e-mail and text messages the other guy brought in could've been written by anyone. ("It's a common name.") The guy had also e-mailed her dad. "Maybe he looked on Facebook for some guy with that name who had a daughter with my name."

I seriously think part of the appeal of Judge Judy is that some people will never admit they're wrong, and Judy gives them the talking-to that you never feel like you can get away with. I'm sure half of them go home telling themselves "She didn't have to talk to me like that!" as if that meant what they themselves did doesn't matter.

It's just too bad this isn't like Chopped, where they could bring back the worst-ever defendants/plaintiffs and have them square off against each other!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #208
Major LCF Poster!

Bianca -- who is battling an injury -- is the only one of us who is in her groove!

My trainer put together a very simple training routine to maintain my strength gains while traveling. It uses only bodyweight exercises and I only have to do a 20-minute routine twice per week while I'm traveling. Three interchangeable routines are programmed into my phone, along with a timer, so it's super convenient and super easy to use. But I've only done it ONCE since I've been on vacation! It's like Jazlyn said, I got out of my groove during the first week of traveling. And since then, I just haven't gotten my head back to the place where I make working out my priority.

I don't think it's *okay* that I have failed to live up to my commitment to take good care of my body while traveling. I'm just glad that vacation is a defined, limited time period and that I'll have the chance to get back into more positive habits when I get back home.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #209
Major LCF Poster!

I hope everyone is doing well and feeling strong!

Back to Istanbul yesterday. Lovely, long walk through the city on a perfect, breezy, mid-80-degree-temperature day. I wouldn't call my casual stroll "cardio" but it felt good to get the blood circulating for a sustained period of time, even though I didn't break a sweat.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

I'm back home! So, my world returns to normal today.

I'm honestly looking forward to getting back into my gym routine. I'm a bit afraid because I've been it's been such a long time since I've worked out with true intensity. First, I took time off to pack and move in June. Then I went on vacation in July. Now, it's time to see if I can once again rage in the gym like She Hulk!