Old 06-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #151
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Raphaelalava
Stats: 245/230/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 8 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
FANTASTIC day today! Tuesday is my "upper body" weight training day, and it always feels good to throw some heavy weights around!
Oh I love pumping iron, specially on an exercise ball. The need for balancing adds to the exercise! Try doing bench presses on the exercise ball.

Haha yeah! My pants are actually falling down now. (That never happens) so, I need a belt to wear them (never in my life have I worn one.) dropped two inches in the past week. Haha! Cheers!
Raphaelalava is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphaelalava View Post
Haha yeah! My pants are actually falling down now. (That never happens) so, I need a belt to wear them (never in my life have I worn one.) dropped two inches in the past week. Haha! Cheers!
That's FANTASTIC progress! AMAZING! It's so great to see your hard work paying off!

Just make sure you get a sturdy belt... You don't want to give the people on the street a free show! HaHa!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

"Non-exercise activity thermogenesis" (NEAT) is basically the amount of energy that people expend from *extra*, *unnecessary* activity. For example, fidgeting or tapping your foot or walking farther across a parking lot to your destination than you *have to* walk. It's basically the way that researchers categorize the *extra* activity that an individual expends that adds to the amount of daily calories they burn.

One of the things that repeatedly occurs in non-intervention studies, in which the researchers just observe people and note their behavior without trying to achieve a certain goal, is that "leaner" individuals typically have a higher percentage of calories burned by NEAT. For example, when researchers have studied a heavier individual compared to a leaner individual -- who is the same age, has the same occupation, lives in the same area, etc -- the leaner individual almost always moves more, does more *unnecessary* activity in a day, walks farther than is *necessary*, fidgets more, and stuff like that.

I was just reading some stuff about NEAT the other day, so it was on my mind, and I noticed this morning that I was pacing back and forth at the bus stop. I didn't *feel* impatient -- I'd just dropped some papers off at the English department and I was on my way home, in no hurry and with no specific plans. I usually sit at the bus stop while I'm waiting for the bus. I even have a seat that I prefer. When I realized I was pacing, I started thinking about *why* I might be pacing today when my typical habit is to sit. And I honestly think that part of the reason is because I'm *lighter* now than I was in the past.

I was always SO EXHAUSTED by the time I got to the bus stop, that I had to sit down. And I also had really bad lower back pain while I was heavier. I think that any additional NEAT that I may be expending now probably happens just because there's less of me to move, so it's *easier* and more comfortable to move. It's possible that reading about NEAT has subconsciously influenced the desire to move more, so *maybe* it doesn't actually have anything to do with me being lighter. But I honestly don't believe I would have had the energy to pace at the bus stop when I dropped off the same documents at the same office last June.

Anyway, I noticed that this morning and I just wanted to share it with my exercise buddies!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Weekend, CC Athletes! Another strong week behind us. Have a fabulous weekend, everyone!

It's in the 60s and 70s here in my part of Michigan. So I'm looking forward to some lovely, cool walking weather this weekend. I hope you will have an equally lovely weekend!

Cheers!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Trillex, I love all of your valuable information that you share with others. Thanks!

I have not exercised all week and my body is feeling it. My hip is hurting, my back is hurting..you get the point. Next week is a fresh start and I intend to be there doing the work. I may not be able to do cardio, but I can do weights. I hate that I let myself get out of going.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I have not exercised all week and my body is feeling it. My hip is hurting, my back is hurting..you get the point. Next week is a fresh start and I intend to be there doing the work. I may not be able to do cardio, but I can do weights. I hate that I let myself get out of going.
Your injury is a bad thing, of course, especially because it's causing you pain. But the silver lining is that it's giving you the chance to learn some important things about your body. It kind of sounds like this *forced break* has made you appreciate how much better your body feels when you're more active. That lesson might have more long-term value than the days you missed at the gym this week! Just sayin'.

Since you're going to be sort of *stuck* with weights for a little while, maybe keeping a training journal could be a good motivational tool, which could make you more excited about going into the gym and working with the weights. The journal doesn't have to be elaborate. Before your workout, you could just make a list of exercises that you want to do and the number of reps you're going to shoot for, and then simply check them off as you accomplish them. I think there's something exciting and motivational about being able to look at a concrete list of my physical accomplishments after I've done them.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Drumroll please....I ended up doing some cardio last night and my foot didnt hurt!! I feel so much better. Thanks for the tips, Trillex. I see people at my gym with their little notebooks checking things off their lists. I've thought about doing it myself.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Drumroll please....I ended up doing some cardio last night and my foot didnt hurt!! I feel so much better. Thanks for the tips, Trillex. I see people at my gym with their little notebooks checking things off their lists. I've thought about doing it myself.
YAY!!! I'm so glad your pain is gone! Workouts or no workouts, I hate to hear that you're in pain.

The journal thing is just an idea, in case you need a little something *extra* to motivate you and add a bit more fun to weight training. I'm not a super competitive person, but I like exceeding my past accomplishments. So I like looking back over my training logs and thinking, "Wow, I was such a wimpy lifter six months ago. But I'm AWESOME now!"

HaHa! I'm not *really* awesome. But I feel SUPER awesome when I look at how much more I can lift today versus six months ago. It helps keep me going and it helps me to feel like my gym time is *worth it*.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
I have been getting plenty of exercise, but not posting. However, today, I am posting, because I'm not exercising*.

Don't know what I did, but my ankle hurt just walking up and down the stairs. So I'm thinking I should probably take a day off from the elliptical (and Judge Judy).

Also, Trillex, your new picture is awesome! Though I thought for a moment your shirt said "Wotan", and I was wondering if you were a Richard Wagner fan.

* Correlation not statistically significant
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #160
Senior LCF Member

After a couple of days off my ankle feels better, even if it's still not at 100%, so I got on the elliptical at a gentle 5 setting today. No Judge Judy, but I did get some Restaurant Impossible drama.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Going back to the elliptical was a mistake, according to my throbbing ankle. Back to the rest/ice/compression/elevation.

Happily, walking on level ground doesn't bother it, so I've been doing plenty of strolling - it doesn't have all the benefits of getting your heart rate up, but I figure it's still better than being sedentary.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Thought about trying the recumbent bike at the gym, but my husband said "I can see that your ankle is swollen. Just get the ice pack back out and forget about it."
Old 06-17-2013, 03:16 AM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry abut your ankle, Blanca. I am still dealing with my heel issues so I can sympathize with you.

I did 10minutes on the dreaded stairs yesterday. I kept my heart rate about 20 points higher than normal so I could shorten my time. I think my heel needs a break now. I go to the doctor today, finally!!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle, Bianca! I think all of the members of our girl band were hit by injuries at the same time. My right elbow was feeling *funny* last week. I got some glucosamine cream and it feels fine now but tomorrow is my upper-body weight training day, so we'll see what happens.

Feel better, ladies! We're getting STRONGER! These little scrapes and knocks are our war wounds.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

No problems with the elbow during weight training yesterday! This is going to sound dumb, but I think my elbow was hurting last week because I bumped it on something. But because I've been lifting, I *assumed* that I must have hurt the joint so I expected the worst. Things have been going well but a tiny, pessimistic part of me feels like things have been going *too well* and is waiting for the other shoe to drop...
Old 06-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Trillex - what a relief that it's a small bump, rather than something that would slow you down for longer!

I did a tentative session on the elliptical today at a low setting. I'll be seeing if this brings back the ankle swelling tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase View Post
I did a tentative session on the elliptical today at a low setting. I'll be seeing if this brings back the ankle swelling tomorrow.
I hope your ankle is okay! Without you, Judge Judy is NOBODY!
Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Rode seven miles on the stationary recumbent bike this morning to see if that's a little kinder on my ankle. No Judge Judy in this timeslot, unfortunately.

We were the only people in the gym today. I'm too short to reach the TV screens in the corner, so my husband went around and turned off all the sound on the ones that were blasting some aggressively stupid kids' cartoon.

(This is an employee gym, so this isn't all that odd on our parts.)
Old 06-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #169
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Rode seven miles on the stationary recumbent bike this morning to see if that's a little kinder on my ankle. No Judge Judy in this timeslot, unfortunately.

We were the only people in the gym today. I'm too short to reach the TV screens in the corner, so my husband went around and turned off all the sound on the ones that were blasting some aggressively stupid kids' cartoon.

(This is an employee gym, so this isn't all that odd on our parts.)
Was it easier on your ankle, Bianca? I just hope you HEAL! I kind of feel like these injuries that interfere with training also take an emotional toll. For me, anyway, it's more difficult to get all pumped up when I'm thinking, "Is this going to aggravate my elbow?" So I feel like completely healing helps with the physical and motivational sides of training.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #170
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fabulousinmpls
Stats: 235/235/200
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 6/26/13
Going to join in! The weather is somewhat clearing here in MN. We went through some pretty awful storms on Friday and we were without power until Saturday evening. Some of our family is still without power and will be until Wednesday! I can't imagine. Our 9 year old was so sad just with our 25 hours! Anyhow...

With the weather finally clearing up I will have a chance to get outside and walk. I want us to start going on family walks in the evening when it cools off.
fabulousinmpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousinmpls View Post
Going to join in! The weather is somewhat clearing here in MN. We went through some pretty awful storms on Friday and we were without power until Saturday evening. Some of our family is still without power and will be until Wednesday! I can't imagine. Our 9 year old was so sad just with our 25 hours! Anyhow...

With the weather finally clearing up I will have a chance to get outside and walk. I want us to start going on family walks in the evening when it cools off.
Welcome!

I love walking. And you're so fortunate to have your family ready to join you! That sounds like a great opportunity to spend time together, in a really fruitful way.

I had HORRIBLE lower back pain when I started Atkins last May. So, once I lost about 20 pounds and my back pain disappeared, I started to see the beauty of walking. I could appreciate walking more, at that point, because it was so difficult for me to do when I first started the diet. I also live in the northern Midwest -- in Michigan -- and walks through my neighborhood relax me and make my whole day better. Last year would have probably been unbearably stressful if it weren't for my walks.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member

@Trillex - I hear you about that nagging dread! "Can I try this, or will I be sorry?"

Tried the stationary bike today - hoping the upright is a little kinder on the ankle than the recumbent. And of course there's the whole delayed effect, where it doesn't hurt until the next morning, which makes everything hard to fine-tune ...

FabulousInMpls - good luck with the walking! I hope your family's as enthusiastic as you are.

I have a friend whose ten-year-old is, to put it kindly, blessed with inexhaustible energy. He's fascinated by my bike odometer, and I suggested to his mom that he might bike more if he had one of his own. "Oh, no, he wouldn't like that! He hardly ever rides his bike!"

le sigh

I've seen this same woman nearly grab healthy food out of his hands. "He won't like that!" And she'll turn to him and say "right?"
Old 06-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
@Trillex - I hear you about that nagging dread! "Can I try this, or will I be sorry?"

Tried the stationary bike today - hoping the upright is a little kinder on the ankle than the recumbent. And of course there's the whole delayed effect, where it doesn't hurt until the next morning, which makes everything hard to fine-tune ...

FabulousInMpls - good luck with the walking! I hope your family's as enthusiastic as you are.

I have a friend whose ten-year-old is, to put it kindly, blessed with inexhaustible energy. He's fascinated by my bike odometer, and I suggested to his mom that he might bike more if he had one of his own. "Oh, no, he wouldn't like that! He hardly ever rides his bike!"

le sigh

I've seen this same woman nearly grab healthy food out of his hands. "He won't like that!" And she'll turn to him and say "right?"
How did the recumbent bike work out? Pain the next day, so you're trying the upright? Or is the upright just a precaution?

I'm just being NOSY... I totally won't be offended if you don't want to bring me into the private life of your ankles!

All I can say about that mom is... WOW! But I've learned that you can't tell people ANYTHING about their kids. It's best to just be a spectator.

One of my buddies that I grew up with was very obese until he got into bodybuilding -- basically, his whole family is extremely obese. His dad went into the hospital for diabetic complications and had to have surgery and, sadly, he died as the result of an infection and some kind of excess fluid situation, I believe. His mother has had to use a cane to help her walk since she was in her early 40s, because her joints can't support her weight without additional help. His mother also has really bad diabetes. His younger sister is on the verge of being housebound because of her size and lack of mobility. Also, she has diabetes. And she has some kind of sleeping problem that means she has to sleep upright in a special bed that's basically a large chair. It's super extreme!

So since my buddy got into bodybuilding he hasn't been over 10% bodyfat for the better part of a decade. He doesn't compete but he trains with a bunch of competitive bodybuilders that we know, and he does it to stay strong and to keep his bodyfat low. He's so crazy healthy -- emphasis on *crazy* -- that he emails us his medical test results every time he has a check-up. And his body looks really elite, to be honest. A coach could probably prep him for competition in just a few months if he wanted to actually compete. I love him to death but he's *that guy* who will wear a tight tank top when we're all just hanging out in Chicago in January in 30-degree weather, just so he can show off "the guns."

So, anyway, my buddy met his wife while they were both doing a triathlon. And they're both really into fitness and health because they each grew up in traumatic situations because their families were unusually overweight and extremely unhealthy. Their son is 5 years old now, but that child has been jogging no less than 8 miles every day since he was 3. THREE! While we were at a picnic, my buddy's wife was telling my aunt about her 3 year old son (at that time) jogging 8 miles a day and my aunt was, like, that's not even possible. So my buddy's wife was, like, "No! He LOVES it!" This kid has his own weight rack and bench in their basement -- which is a better gym than most commercial gyms. That kid can freakin' deadlift like a PRO at the age of 5! And I don't think that child has had more than 30g fat in a day since, basically, birth. And he criticizes things that other people eat! This child stone cold told my cousin's little daughter that she was going to DIE because she was eating some ribs at this barbecue that we were at.

Oh, my God, this child is going to need so much THERAPY! But you can't say anything to his parents about it or they totally freak out. I completely understand *why* they're crazy, but they're legit crazy. My buddy told me straight out that he and his wife have to be "vigilant" with their son because of the gene pool they've bequeathed him. I'm just, like, uhhhhh...
Old 06-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

My trainer gave me the week off from our scheduled workouts because I'm packing and moving. But he had me wear my heart rate monitor and a Fitbit while I'm packing. Today -- just since midnight -- I've climbed 42 flights of stairs and it's only 3:41 PM as I'm typing this post.

If I had to pack every day, I could give Bianca a run for her money on the elliptical!

I have been silently thanking my trainer all day today for every squat and lunge he had me do. Going up and down two flights of stairs was like NOTHING to me. Lifting boxes of books was like nothing. It has honestly been easy. No physical stress at all, just the emotional stress of packing and organizing.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

I climbed a total of 59 flights of stairs yesterday, which I was a bit disappointed by because I'd climbed so many flights by early afternoon that I thought I might get to 100 flights by the end of the day. But once I got most of the stuff out of the basement -- including carrying my toolbox and free weights upstairs -- I didn't have as much climbing to do.

For the record, I wasn't even out of breath after carrying heavy items like weights and tools, while making dozens of trips up a flight of stairs! HaHAAAAA! I feel GREAT!!!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Go Trillex!

After a couple of hours walking through the zoo yesterday, my ankle let me know in no uncertain terms that there would be no gym this weekend.

I actually did go in today and didn't work out. Before everyone laughs at me, or maybe after you laugh at me, I did this because I'm a little concerned about getting out of the habit of going to the gym at my usual time - getting a good habit going all over again can be harder than the actual work.

So I propped my ankle up on a weight bench with an ice pack and read while my husband worked out. (Don't worry, the gym was empty, I wasn't depriving anyone of their bench press time.)
Old 07-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Thirty minutes on the stationary bike, which seems to be the kindest cardio for my ankle. Only caught the very end of Judge Judy, though.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Racking up more miles on the stationary bike, which seems to be kinder to my ankle than the elliptical. No Judge Judy today - just some fool yammering about himself on a cooking competition. "Well, I want this more than you! This is who I am!"
Old 07-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

I think it's brilliant to go to the gym with your husband as a way to keep up the habit! I never would have thought of it. It's just such a brilliant way to fight the mental game against injury!

And I am just as impressed by your cycle prowess as I was by your elliptical mastery. You just keep on killing it, sister!

I've been out of the training game for two weeks, now. My trainer gave me last week off because I was packing and moving. And this week has been a festival of things going wrong so I've been out of the gym.

Delta misplaced the bag that I -- FOR SOME STUPID, INSANE REASON -- packed all of the cords and cables for my electronics into. Question: Why would I not just CARRY THEM ONTO THE PLANE WITH ME?!?! Answer: Because I am dumb.

I'm moving, so I had cables in that bag for, literally, every electronic device that I use. They eventually found the bag (last night) and delivered it to me (at 11:30PM). So I'm so incredibly thankful it turned up -- I was practically crying with relief when the guy got to the door with the bag! Because replacing cords would actually be a bigger pain (I believe) than replacing the actual devices. And it would be expensive. Just replacing the Apple USB adapters would cost a freaking fortune and I'm not sure how much compensation I would have gotten for the lost bag.

I've been off the forum because the internet was down at my dad's house -- where I will be spending most of the summer. My dad called AT&T to fix it but he couldn't get through to a person -- my dad isn't *great* with navigating automated systems. Also, he tends to be kind of zen with hoping the universe will come to his aid and eventually resolve all imbalances (my parents were/are hippies). I called on Sunday, when I arrived in Chicago (and found out about the problem) but we live in a very poor neighborhood and the first day they could get a tech out to us was on Friday, between 5-9 PM. So, no internet except on my phone. And I'm not *great* on the internet on my phone. Plus, I didn't have the freakin' cord to charge my darned phone. I bought a new cable on Thursday but I spent, basically, 5 days saving a single charge.

Also, I ran out of food while I was packing last week and didn't want to buy more food because (for some insane reason) I was concerned that I would have to throw it out. So I ate the only food that I had left in the house: cheese and eggs. I had a lot of cheese in the fridge that I'd vacuum packed, so I probably ate 2 pounds of cheese and a few eggs between Wednesday of last week and Saturday of last week. Just cheese and eggs, nothing else. No fiber at all. I usually take a daily fiber supplement, but I'd already shipped my protein and supplements to my parents' house in Chicago. So, then I had absolutely nothing to eat on Sunday because I had to return keys, etcetera, and get to the airport early. Then my plane was delayed for a few hours. And when I finally got to my parents' house, I was too tired to eat. Plus, my vegan dad had nothing in the house that I really *wanted* to eat.

So, OF COURSE on Tuesday I came down with the worst intestinal distress I've ever felt in my life! I will spare you the colon-related details. I'll just say that I've never felt such pain. I suffered all day Tuesday -- taking Milk of Magnesia and hoping it would pass -- but it didn't. So my dad took me to the emergency room on Wednesday where I had an incredibly undignified experience. But thankfully they corrected the problem.

Long story short, I've been helping my dad with the house all week (except when I was incapacitated by my colon). My mom died a few years ago and my dad has let things go that he shouldn't have let go. I never noticed it on short visits -- when I go to Chicago, we usually move in with one of my brothers because they have much larger houses in much nicer areas. But now that I'll be living with my dad for a while, I have to do a lot of -- *sigh* -- maintenance. My dad still has the basket of laundry that my mom was going to do right before she died. He just moved it onto a utility rack in the laundry room and put a towel over it. He still has the cast iron pot of rendered pork fat that my mom was going to use to make sofrito for one of her group events. He just put the pot into the bottom of the fridge. I can't believe I never noticed these things. And I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with the situation.

Anyhoo, back to the gym on Monday. With a new trainer (who is also a childhood friend of mine). But -- *sigh* -- I already miss my super awesome, amazing old genius of a trainer.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Went back into the gym yesterday, after two weeks away. It was difficult. I wasn't exactly *weaker* but it took me a while to get my pump going. Hopefully, I'll be fully back in the groove today!