Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #91
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Raphaelalava
Stats: 245/230/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 8 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
That sounds great! Do you swim outside? Or an indoor pool? I'm imagining you cycling to the beach and swimming there. Which sounds amazing!

Actually, I was planning on cycling uphill to a waterfall. It's about 5 minutes away on car, but it would take an hour on bike. Dreadfull uphill climbs and dirt roads. But the waterfall is worth it. Also, the family is having our pool finished up, though its quite small for tiring laps. Will give it a try when the doctor says I'm good to go!
Raphaelalava is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphaelalava View Post
Actually, I was planning on cycling uphill to a waterfall. It's about 5 minutes away on car, but it would take an hour on bike. Dreadfull uphill climbs and dirt roads. But the waterfall is worth it. Also, the family is having our pool finished up, though its quite small for tiring laps. Will give it a try when the doctor says I'm good to go!
I officially want to be YOU! It sounds like heaven!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase View Post
Just back from a 3+ mile bike around the neighborhood - I've learned from bitter experience that it's best to start small when I'm getting back in the saddle.

And of course there will be elliptical tonight. Perhaps even Judge Judy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
We kicked some booty tonight! We did the STAIRS! Thought I would die but I made it! Yay me.
You ladies are KILLING IT, as always!

Have you had your shoulder assessment, Bianca? So that you can train with your friend? Just wondering!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #94
Junior LCF Member

I guess I got my exercise today. My labrador-retriever ran loose, and he made me chase him down the road for what, 10 minutes? Haha, my legs gave out when I got him back on his leash. Anyway, good day to you guys
Old 05-08-2013, 01:05 AM   #95
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I officially want to be YOU! It sounds like heaven!
Haha! Thanks, but unfortunately, the waterfall. "Taktak" as we call it. The park authorities don't allow swimming in the falls themselves, or so I've heard. But, they've opened up a pool, which is okay haha for now.

Quote:
Love love swimming Raph!!.
Swimming is one of the things I first learned to do, as a kid. Growing up, my buddies and I would go to the village pool and goof off a bit everyday.

Cheers to another good day
Old 05-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
I just went in this morning for the annual health screening our insurance sponsors. I'm not crazy about the program for various reasons, but it does save a lot of money, so I put up with it.

There's a form I have to take to my doctor - I figured I'd ask him about the shoulder at the same time, and get it all in one trip.

In a few weeks I'll get to see what LCHF has been doing for my blood profile (if anything).

I've been reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, and was interested to see the study that suggested that while exercise doesn't affect how much weight you lose, it can significantly affect the composition of what you lose - and that the people doing cardio and resistance lost far less muscle mass than the cardio-only and no exercise groups. Yet another motivation to pick up heavy things!
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I've been reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, and was interested to see the study that suggested that while exercise doesn't affect how much weight you lose, it can significantly affect the composition of what you lose - and that the people doing cardio and resistance lost far less muscle mass than the cardio-only and no exercise groups. Yet another motivation to pick up heavy things!
This is an excellent point that I think often gets a bit overlooked when people talk about exercise and bodyfat loss. Exercise isn't a *solution* to obesity -- for a lot of complex reasons -- so exercise is often treated as if there are no associated body composition benefits. But there are decades of studies, on many different populations, which show that progressive weight training has a distinctly beneficial effect on body composition.

A lot of the research has been done on older men and women because body composition improvements in the elderly can provide significant and immediate health-improvement and quality-of-life benefits. But studies conducted on younger populations produce similar results. Although, the results seen by older people can be a lot more dramatic because that population can quickly make such significant gains in bone density.

The study in The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance was specifically looking at cardio and progressive weight training regimens within the context of a very low-carb eating plan. But the same type of bodyfat reduction and lean mass gains from progressive resistance training have been observed in wide range of studies of different populations, both with and without dietary intervention.

In older men:
Effects of strength training on total and regional body composition in older men.
Effects of strength training on total and reg... [J Appl Physiol. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI
In older women:
Reduction in intra-abdominal adipose tissue after strength training in older women.
Reduction in intra-abdominal adipose tissue a... [J Appl Physiol. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI
In older men and women:
Resistance training and intra-abdominal adipose tissue in older men and women.
Resistance training and intra-abdominal... [Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI
In premenopausal women:
Effect of 14 weeks of resistance training on lipid profile and body fat percentage in premenopausal women.
Effect of 14 weeks of resistance training on lipid profile and body fat percentage in premenopausal women
And postmenopausal women:
Resistance training predicts 6-yr body composition change in postmenopausal women.
Reduction in intra-abdominal adipose tissue a... [J Appl Physiol. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI
Old 05-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Another three-mile bike ride today, plus the usual thirty minutes on the elliptical.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Michigan's "NPC" qualifier for amateur competitors is this month so the guys at the gym are all in surly, uber-competitive moods. They're normally quite collegial but they become horrible human beings close to competition -- mostly because they're starving! And I think the guys who aren't competing feel intimidated by the guys who compete, so the whole situation is very tense.

I'm just doing what I do every day, you know, trying to make progress. But a couple of guys actually made fun of me this week, which is both hurtful and annoying.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Michigan's "NPC" qualifier for amateur competitors is this month so the guys at the gym are all in surly, uber-competitive moods. They're normally quite collegial but they become horrible human beings close to competition -- mostly because they're starving! And I think the guys who aren't competing feel intimidated by the guys who compete, so the whole situation is very tense.

I'm just doing what I do every day, you know, trying to make progress. But a couple of guys actually made fun of me this week, which is both hurtful and annoying.
What jerks. Hope you treated them like they and their opinions don't matter.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
What jerks. Hope you treated them like they and their opinions don't matter.
I honestly feel bad for the guys who are so freaked out about their chances in the qualifiers that they felt the need to pick on an overweight woman who is trying to improve herself. If they were more confident, they would take their stress out on someone they perceive as an equal, not on the most vulnerable person they could find. So, as their karmic punishment, I think they're going to suffer on stage (and score very badly) because a big part of the judging is "stage presence," which requires confidence that even I can see they're clearly lacking.

This week reinforced to me how beautiful you ladies are. I can feel the joy and fun and excitement in your posts about the elliptical and about circuits and about swimming. A lot of the guys in the gym have forgotten about the energy of the pump and the great feeling of exertion because they're so focused on how they look. They've forgotten to think about how they feel.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jazlyn
Stats: 290/243/160
I have stuck to my water aerobics 3 times a week but I'm slacking on going to the gym. I think it's because my aunt and cousin are expecting me at water aerobics. I told my husband when he goes to the gym to make me go, kicking and screaming if that's what it takes.
Jazlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazlyn View Post
I have stuck to my water aerobics 3 times a week but I'm slacking on going to the gym. I think it's because my aunt and cousin are expecting me at water aerobics. I told my husband when he goes to the gym to make me go, kicking and screaming if that's what it takes.
The water aerobics sound GREAT, even if you don't get to the gym. And it's awesome that you have two different groups of exercise buddies, your aunt and cousin as well as your husband.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Too rainy to bike these last couple of days, but I did up the elliptical from 13 to 14 for my daily thirty-minute cardio routine.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Keeping up the elliptical at setting 14 for the last couple of days. I keep forgetting to punch in 190 instead of 200 for my weight - in part because when it was over 200, that's what I always used, no matter how far over 200 it was.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
It's Monday, so back to to the gym. Going to try for five days this week.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I keep forgetting to punch in 190 instead of 200 for my weight - in part because when it was over 200, that's what I always used, no matter how far over 200 it was.
You're in ONEderland, Bianca! Sashay!

Quote:
It's Monday, so back to to the gym. Going to try for five days this week.
Go for it, girl! It sounds like you always feel really good after your workouts, so that must be a great motivation besides all of the other health reasons.

I hope each of you ladies had a lovely Mother's Day! When I talked to my maternal grandma yesterday, she says her doctor told her to walk more so she's bought some "walking clothes." By "walking clothes," she means PANTS. I have never in my entire life seen her wear pants so I think this means she's really committed to her workouts.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You're in ONEderland, Bianca! Sashay!
Chanté!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #109
Junior LCF Member

Tuesday, prepping for the swim-cycle routine. cheers guys and gals.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Hope you all had a good Mothers Day!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

I hear giving birth is quite the cardio workout, cfine.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Chanté!
You've got it, gorgeous!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Today was my upper body weight training day and I FEEL FABULOUS! I mean, I still feel GREAT hours later. I don't know if it's psychological? Or if I'm reaching the point where my hormones are responding more intensely? I feel like I've been giving the greatest level of intensity that I *can* give, ever since day one, but the past couple of weeks have felt especially spectacular.

The guys at the gym realized they've been pretty awful to me and they all signed a card to congratulate me on my one-year exercise anniversary and a few guys wrote notes to apologize for being rude. I'm pretty sure my trainer intimidated them into doing it, but it was still a sweet gesture. And they gave me an iTunes gift card, with which I've already bought a UK dubstep compilation that I've been too cheap to spend money on. So it was an all-around good day at the gym!

It's going to be a great week, ladies! We just have to try to keep up with Bianca's thighmastering elliptical prowess...
Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The guys at the gym realized they've been pretty awful to me and they all signed a card to congratulate me on my one-year exercise anniversary and a few guys wrote notes to apologize for being rude. I'm pretty sure my trainer intimidated them into doing it, but it was still a sweet gesture.
It doesn't matter of your trainer was the instrument of karma. It's still karma. Glad to hear everything is going so well!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

It's already Friday... I hope all of you CC Athletes had a wonderful week! And I hope you have an equally wonderful weekend ahead!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Got up early this morning to hit the gym before starting off a busy weekend!
Old 05-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Another thirty minutes on the elliptical at setting 14.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Another thirty minutes on the elliptical at setting 14.
I'm hearing all 14s lately, no more 13s with Judge Judy... It's more like Judge Dredd on 14s!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm hearing all 14s lately, no more 13s with Judge Judy... It's more like Judge Dredd on 14s!
It goes up to 25 - we'd better safe Dredd (and his buddy Judge Death) for the big numbers!
Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It goes up to 25 - we'd better safe Dredd (and his buddy Judge Death) for the big numbers!
Good point! Maybe level 14 is Wild West Hanging Judge territory...