Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Century Club
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Thirty minutes on the elliptical at setting thirteen.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase View Post
Thirty minutes on the elliptical at setting thirteen.
I'm a bit disappointed that Judge Judy wasn't involved... HaHa!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I'm a bit disappointed that Judge Judy wasn't involved... HaHa!
"Look at me - no, look me in the eye. I don't want to hear it. Why haven't you gone up to level fourteen?"
Old 03-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Got my workout in early today.

20 minutes high intensity elliptical
Leg weights
Stretching
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sharkini
Stats: 289/273/199 for now
WOE: JUDDD - lots of veggies
Start Date: 10/4/13
Everyone is doing good! I need extra exercise to keep me from doing the look/drool game over what's in the fridge for Sunday. The most tempting: lc naniamo bars. I've never had one before but they look wow.

Thursday (thought I posted, guess not)
2 miles treadmill
1/2 hour hike later in the day

Friday
1.5 miles treadmill
30 min bike
45 sit-ups
sharkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

cfine, glad to have you with us
Old 03-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LC My Way
50 minutes on my recumbent bike, yaaay me.
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Twenty-five minutes on the elliptical at setting fourteen, but that last hill was just a bit much, and I took it down to thirteen for the last few minutes. No Judge Judy today

(I work out at a level where I'm sweating and find it possible, but difficult, to talk. Having pushed myself to the point of nausea in the past, I'm happy to stay at a level that's challenging - I don't feel like I have to prove myself by sticking things out if I hit that "too much" feeling.)
Old 03-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today will be:
Cardio 20 minutes-elliptical
Abs
Arms
Stretches
Old 04-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Woke up yesterday with awful (and inexplicable) back pain. So no gym for a few days. No Judge Judy, either
Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Woke up yesterday with awful (and inexplicable) back pain. So no gym for a few days. No Judge Judy, either
I hope you feel better soon!

Do you think it was exercise-related? Or just generally inexplicable? I used to have terrible back pain and if I had a Genie, I'd make sure no one else on Earth ever had another back spasm.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I hope you feel better soon!
Thanks! I'm already much better than I was yesterday. I'm hoping one more day of taking it easy will be enough - that this won't be one of those things that hangs around for weeks.

Quote:
Do you think it was exercise-related? Or just generally inexplicable? I used to have terrible back pain and if I had a Genie, I'd make sure no one else on Earth ever had another back spasm.
I really think it was random - while I'd played with slightly upping the cardio level on the elliptical, it was only one notch, and it was the same program I've done for over a year. Plus, the pain kicked in a day later.

Over a year ago, I tried to start a weight-lifting routine, and had immediate sharp shoulder pains from what I thought was a light bench press. (It was just the bar, but that bar felt a lot heavier in position than it did when I was putting it there.) I'm still having some joint problems from that - I've been waiting for them to heal up before I start weightlifting again.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Also, Trillex, are we going to see your body-building routine any time soon?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I need to go to the gym but I just can't make myself do it for some reason. My workout partner can't go tonight and I just hate going alone. My husband is out of town and my daughter went to the gym with her friend. Ugh!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

I got my walking in over the weekend and stuck to on plan foods.

Monday
1 hour walk
hand-weights
50 sit ups
...my clothes are getting looser
Old 04-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yay Shakini! Good for you.

So my prior post made me feel guilty, so I put my tennis shoes on and went to the track. My body is hurting, but I feel much better about myself for not giving in to my negative thoughts.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

I'm glad you're feeling better, Bianca!

Good for you, Cfine! I think doing it when you kind of don't feel like doing it is *winning*. That's why I follow you girls on this thread, because you are all so positively self-motivated and it's really inspiring.

Quote:
Over a year ago, I tried to start a weight-lifting routine, and had immediate sharp shoulder pains from what I thought was a light bench press. (It was just the bar, but that bar felt a lot heavier in position than it did when I was putting it there.) I'm still having some joint problems from that - I've been waiting for them to heal up before I start weightlifting again.
It's funny because my brothers are both pretty hardcore bodybuilders but they both HATE doing shoulder exercises -- they've gotten into so many fights with coaches about their doggone shoulders! Their shoulder (deltoid) development is naturally pretty good, so they *can* (sort of) get away without putting too much work into that area. But I never understood why they would do all of this other crazy stuff in the gym but wouldn't do something as simple as deltoid exercises -- until I started working out. There is something terribly wrong with our genetics, I think, that makes shoulder exercises super uncomfortable. It's not just the usual discomfort and difficulty of weight training, it's a different type of discomfort. Based on my experience, I think some bodies are just not designed to do some forms of lifting. I do the shoulder exercises that my trainer prescribes -- because I'm not going to argue with someone who is trying to help me -- but I always feel like it's an accident waiting to happen.

Quote:
Also, Trillex, are we going to see your body-building routine any time soon?
HaHa! I *feel* totally UFC when I'm in the gym -- the guys tease me and call me "She Hulk" when I put my game face on -- but I know that if I actually watched myself, I would look like such a weakling!

Our primary workout is cardio intervals on Mondays, but we also do "barre" thigh and butt exercises on Mondays and those are more difficult weight-bearing exercises, for me, than the lower-body work with weights and machines that we do on Thursdays.

The barre thigh workouts are basically squats, but you have to go into positions that engage all of the lower body muscles and then either hold those positions for a sustained period of time or perform them very slowly and deliberately. For example, for one squat, you put your legs together with your feet facing forward and then go up on the balls of your feet, then you squat while staying up on your toes with your thighs and legs tightly together and you slowly raise and lower your butt from knee level up to just below hip level. When I started, I could lightly hold the bar while doing the barre squats but now balancing is part of the workout. And there are "plie squats" where you spread your legs wide open, then go up on the balls of your feet and raise and lower your butt from knee level to just below hip level. Part of the workout is also holding the plie squat at knee level for a sustained period of time while you're still up on the balls of your feet, sometimes 30 seconds and sometimes 1 minute, while lifting a weighted medicine ball from side to side. It sounds like it wouldn't be that hard to hold the position for just 1 single minute, but it's genuinely quite taxing!

The glute exercises are basically "donkey kicks" but you do them standing on one slightly-bent leg while your body leans forward and your arms hold the barre. You do about 5 minutes on each leg, with one leg held off the ground behind you for the entire 5 minutes. You flex the raised leg at the knee, or straighten the raised leg and lift and lower it about 8 inches up and 8 inches down, you lift the raised leg to the side and back. It's an absolute killer! But a prominent butt is a valued asset in my culture, so I try to put 110% into every lift.

My weight training exercise rotation changes every 3 weeks but the barre workouts are basically the same each week, but those freakin exercises never get any easier. Maybe a *tiny* bit easier but still killers...
Old 04-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I feel like crying when trying to do any shoulder weights. I turn in to a whiny baby real fast!

My feet are hurting from my walk/run yesterday. It's back to the elliptical today. I feel so sporty when I run at the track though.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
There is something terribly wrong with our genetics, I think, that makes shoulder exercises super uncomfortable. It's not just the usual discomfort and difficulty of weight training, it's a different type of discomfort.
I've often thought about how back trouble seems to be related to the way our ancestors started walking upright, without having the courtesy to redesign the way their muscles carried their weight. Maybe something similar's happening with shoulders?

Quote:
My weight training exercise rotation changes every 3 weeks but the barre workouts are basically the same each week, but those freakin exercises never get any easier. Maybe a *tiny* bit easier but still killers...
I've heard that lots of would-be bodybuilders fear and loathe squats because they're so hard, and miss out on all the benefit they could be getting from them.

I feel like I've read dozens of articles on how to squat, but always had something wrong with my form - a few years ago, I started getting forearm pain when I was squatting regularly with a 75-pound bar. It clearly meant something was wrong with how I was holding the weight, and that my arms were carrying the load that should have been on my back - but I never did sort out how to get that part of the position right while still keeping my knees ant feet in the right position.

(Also, was able to go do my usual elliptical routine at the gym today, despite the shoulder/upper-back pain - I didn't even have to dial down the intensity. Missed Judge Judy, though.)
Old 04-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I feel like I've read dozens of articles on how to squat, but always had something wrong with my form - a few years ago, I started getting forearm pain when I was squatting regularly with a 75-pound bar. It clearly meant something was wrong with how I was holding the weight, and that my arms were carrying the load that should have been on my back - but I never did sort out how to get that part of the position right while still keeping my knees ant feet in the right position.
I'm almost embarrassed to recommend it -- because it has a cheezey, sensationalistic title and super corny artwork -- but Stuart McRobert's book, The Insider's Tell-All On Weight-Training Technique, is actually worth reading -- if you're interested in kind of a long boring book on weight training form (and if you have time for a long boring book on weight training form). McRobert is the old-school guru of perfect form. Bodybuilders who have read his books are better than bodybuilders who haven't because McRobert teaches them to lift strategically so they won't lose gym time to injuries. My uncles have been into competitive bodybuilding since the 1970s -- which is why I have so many friends and relatives who are bodybuilders -- and although my uncles started with Arnold Schwarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding and they had a great champion coach from Venice Beach, they say they didn't really know what they were doing in the gym until they got McRobert's underground articles on technique in the 1980s.

Also, my legs were much stronger than my upper body so I needed heavier weights for squats than my upper body could effectively handle. That's why my trainer added the barre squats. The positions of barre squats work my lower body more effectively than lifting with weight that is too light for my lower body strength. He also dropped "regular" deadlifts from my rotation because of the pressure the heavy weights put on my shoulders and back, and added "Romanian deadlifts" where I deadlift one leg at a time with weight that is both appropriate for my upper body strength and challenging to the leg that is being worked. The Romanian deadlifts are also a balance challenge that works the stabilizing muscles, like the barre squats, because the back leg is in the air during the deadlift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I feel like crying when trying to do any shoulder weights. I turn in to a whiny baby real fast!
I hear ya, sister!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jazlyn
Stats: 290/243/160
I'm not a huge fan of movies but I do watch them once in a while. I usually listen to music while I'm on the bike.

Monday 30 minutes on stationary bike. Today 2nd session with trainer.
Jazlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yesterday was my day off

Today:cardio 20minutes high inset site interval training
Leg weights
Abs
Stretching
Old 04-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkini View Post
I got my walking in over the weekend and stuck to on plan foods.

Monday
1 hour walk
hand-weights
50 sit ups
...my clothes are getting looser
How is your week going, Sharkini? You are my inspiration!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Thirty minutes on the elliptical at thirteen. No Judge Judy, but the Barefoot Contessa was serving up my favorite cheese.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Happy weekend to you fabulous Century Club Athletes! I hope you can all look forward to similar gorgeous weather as my little slice of Michigan. Perfect outdoor fun weather.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

I'm hoping for good weather, too - driving nine hours to Virginia tomorrow!

(And going to the gym first, time permitting.)

Today: thirty minutes, elliptical, setting 13, yada yada.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Hi all, been busy with family drama..ugh. Still on track, believe it or not.
My scale needs replacing so I haven't weighed in about a week BUT i'm down a pants size!! Woohooo

Today: 3 miles on treadmill

Keep on keepin' on..

Last edited by sharkini; 04-06-2013 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So my workout partner and I have decided to up our weight training. Instead of alternating our arms and legs, we are going to do both each time because we take a day off in between workouts. We also upped our actual weights today. I am whooped but I feel so good that I did it. I pushed my muscles to the edge. Also did my 20 minutes of cardio.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
So my workout partner and I have decided to up our weight training. Instead of alternating our arms and legs, we are going to do both each time because we take a day off in between workouts. We also upped our actual weights today. I am whooped but I feel so good that I did it. I pushed my muscles to the edge. Also did my 20 minutes of cardio.
You are totally on fire!