Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Century Club (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/)
-   -   When you look in the mirror... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/798651-when-you-look-mirror.html)

Jigsaw 03-03-2013 07:32 PM

When you look in the mirror...

When you look in the mirror, what do you see? I see me, the old me, the fatter me. :( I seriously cannot see a difference between how I look now and how I looked 60 lbs. ago. :dunno: People tell me, "wow, you've lost so much weight!" yet... I can't see it. :stars: I don't even know what to think about it. It is weird, and kind of discouraging. I'd like to see a difference in how I look, so that I know all of it is worth it. Am I the only one who can't see their own weight loss?

Lony 03-03-2013 07:44 PM

No, you are not the only one. I see the 400 pound woman I used to be. I have trouble buying clothes that fit my new body. I try them on and the little voice in my head says "Who are you fooling? You are not this size, go home and put on your giant yoga pants and tee shirts."

When I do silence that voice and wear clothes that fit properly everyone tells me how great I look. My little voice says they are liars and they are making fun of you because you are so fat.

LOL, sorry for the ramble but to answer your question....

No you are not the only one. :hugs:

Ntombi 03-03-2013 09:17 PM

Can you see it in pictures? Sometimes it's easier to see the reality when you're looking at a picture.

RavenG 03-04-2013 06:48 AM

I second Ntombi's suggestions on the pictures....it's an objective way to look at yourself.

This was hard for me as well.....I just could NOT see the difference everyone else was remarking on. What finally "clicked" was walking up to my office building one morning and seeing the reflection of a woman in the glass of the building. She was wearing the same dress I was wearing and I remember thinking that "she" looked better in it than I did.....THEN I realized it was ME!

It takes a while for your brain and eyes to catch up to the new you.

Keeping at least one pair of pants or a skirt that you used to wear and taking progress pictures in them is another way to see the difference.

ravenrose 03-04-2013 09:47 AM

it's because we are so good at hiding how bad we looked at the higher weight from ourselves... trust me, however bad it is now, it was orders of magnitude worse before! for me, it's sitting in my dentist's waiting room with a wall of mirrors across from me that brings home the truth. can you say SPREADING THIGHS and UGLY KNEES? *sigh*

anyway, sitting in front of a mirror really does make you more aware of what you really look like to other people. bathroom mirrors give us too much opportunity to pose ourselves attractively and the lighting from above the way it is in most bathrooms is very flattering too.

Jigsaw 03-04-2013 05:20 PM

Thank guys, I'll have to dig out an old pair of pants and try them on, we'll see about taking a picture though, ;) I still think it is weird, :p