Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 07:16 AM   #2641
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: crazyone
Stats: 404/295.6/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 28, 2009
Good morning ladies....Happy Easter....though I know it's somber day....enjoy the day with your families.,,,,

Mona! You are right on with what you posted! Including the cleaning!

I am only going to one store today..for produce and my Sunday cooking....got my list!...then I am gonna drag my hubs to Big Lots to see about that fan....but since its been over 80 here I can imagine its gone..
crazyone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #2642

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Happy Easter, everyone!

Melindochka, hope you find your fan, girl.

Mona, shopping the day before Easter? That's why I sent DH in this morning.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #2643

Gallery: Lony
Stats: 357/230/160
WOE: Atkins(ish)
Start Date: July 6 2011
Hoppy Easter to my favorite chocolate bunnys!
Lony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #2644

You know I am pms'ing so badly...it's like I wish TOM would come....to relieve my misery.....

I like my pots and pans and stuff that I cook with in a specific place.....sonny boy moved them while I was gone and it's pissing me off royally.....however I have been after him for 2 months now to clean out his snacks.,..why should I, he is grown.,.

Lony....ok I was going to start tomorrow.,..but I got 10 minutes of walking done today....it wasn't pretty due to my fat and the effects TOM has on my body,,,,but I did it.....so now I am back from the store and now I am going to big lots.....before I start my cooking today.....boy late start....have the best day today!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #2645

Hurray Melinda! Great job!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #2646

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Good morning. Happy Easter.
Christos vos crest!! This is Ukrainian for Christ is Risen!
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #2647

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Good morning. Happy Easter.
Christos vos crest!! This is Ukrainian for Christ is Risen!
Vo istina voskrese. (This is how we answer Christos voskrese in Bulgarian. It means, he truly rose)
Old 03-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Vo istina voskrese. (This is how we answer Christos voskrese in Bulgarian. It means, he truly rose)
It's the same in Ukrainian too. Do you also kiss the person 3X on the cheek????
Old 03-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #2649

Well, my menu got a tad hijacked. The boys decided today was high carb so they could eat some Easter candy. Yes, I still made them Easter baskets. LOL Dh went to Sam's last night and found some fresh asparagus so we're having that too, along with au gratin potatoes and dinner rolls. Lots of veggies---creamed spinach, corn bread pudding, asparagus and the potatoes. It is a holiday afterall.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #2650

Thanks Lonykins! And to you! Your doing awesome ....Today I am so hot and thirsty...No wonder, the humidity is 75 percent.....man I thought I was going insane....I am so sensitive to humidity.....anyway I gotta get to cooking and since everyone is home whats the rush,,,
Old 03-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #2651

This is from my wls group. A good way to get in healthy nuts and coconut oil
Healthy Almond Joy
Pulse in food processor:
1 c. Almonds
6 whole pitted dates
2 T. Coconut oil
3/4 c. shredded coconut
Make into 16 balls. Dip in melted dark chocolate. Appx 125 cals per piece but non of the processed junk. Enjoy!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #2652

Chewies I bought 2 bunches of asparagus.....think of roasting it with bacon.....I better get to cooking...
Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #2653

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyone View Post
Chewies I bought 2 bunches of asparagus.....think of roasting it with bacon.....I better get to cooking...
Yeah, so did my dh!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #2654

Why Easter Eggs:
Easter eggs

From colored eggs to chocolate eggs to egg hunts, nothing says “Easter” like the incredible edible. Yet our modern take on collecting, dying, and decorating eggs comes from a tradition dating back thousands of years, long before the time of Jesus Christ.

Many ancient cultures, including the Greeks and Egyptians, saw eggs as a sign of fertility and new life; they used eggs in religious rituals and hung them in pagan temples for mystical purposes, says Martha Zimmerman in her book Celebrating the Christian Year.

Later, as Christian missionaries observed community members hunting for eggs in spring, they began using the food as a tool to describe Christ’s new birth in resurrection. “They would dye the eggs based on what colors meant to the church: yellow for resurrection, blue for love, red for the blood of Christ. Or, they would paint various scenes from the Bible on eggs and hide them; the child who found the egg would come back and tell the story painted on that egg,” says Collins
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #2655

Why the Easter Bunny:
Easter Bunny

Like many Easter traditions, the Easter bunny evolved out of ancient fertility and spring celebrations. Rabbits breed like, well, rabbits, and give birth in the spring. So, in places where the fields became overrun with baby bunnies, it was natural to incorporate the rabbit as a symbol for spring and, eventually, Easter.

According to an old German story retold by Pamela Kennedy in her book An Easter Celebration: Traditions and Customs from Around the World, a poor woman who loved children would hide brightly colored eggs in her garden as Easter treats. One year, while the children searched for them, they noticed a hare hopping past and believed that the animal had left the eggs. Thus launched the association between rabbits and Easter eggs.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #2656

Why Easter Candy:
Easter candy

Every child knows that no Easter egg hunt is complete without the real prize: candy. Exchanging chocolates and other sweets at Easter gained popularity in Europe during the mid-19th century, as companies developed methods for mass producing sweets and unveiled confections in fancy holiday shapes and packages, like Cadbury eggs, which made their debut in 1875.

Jelly beans likely evolved from early fruit jellies such as Turkish Delight, a Middle Eastern delicacy. They entered the U.S. market sometime in the late-19th century, but didn’t gain their Easter association until the 1930s, according to the Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America.

“We find no print reason for hawking jelly beans at Easter. It might be the shape [they look like eggs, which are connected with Easter] and color [bright or pastel],” says Lynne Olver, a food historian and editor of foodtimeline.org.

As for the most important Easter candy question, “How do you eat a chocolate Easter bunny?,” three out of four Americans start with the ears first, according to a survey by the Chocolate Manufacturers Association and National Confectioners Association.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #2657

Why Easter Bonnets and new clothes:
Easter bonnets and parades

Purchasing a new holiday outfit may seem like a 20th century commercial invention, but even early Christians followed the practice of wearing new clothes for Easter. “It was the one time of year when, if you had new clothes, you wore them. You dressed in your finest to go to church as a manner of honoring the resurrected savior,” says Collins.

In America, stores soon latched onto the idea that creating Easter outfits and sales during the season would help them sell fancy bonnets for little girls and women or suits for boys and men. City-goers took to promenading down the street to show off their new attire, which on New York’s Fifth Avenue eventually drew thousands of people and came to be known as the Easter Parade. The song Easter Parade, written by Irving Berlin in 1933 and popularized by Bing Crosby in the movie Holiday Inn (1942) captured the fanciful mood of this new tradition.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #2658

Easter Dinner:
Lamb versus ham

Although the choice of what to serve for Easter dinner might come down to taste preference, for others the menu holds great significance.

In early Jewish history, lambs were sacrificed as offerings to God and served regularly as part of the Passover feast. Then, when Jesus died during Passover, he became representative of the ultimate sacrifice for sin, the “lamb of God,” and the animal evolved into a potent symbol for Christians, especially at Easter. Many Orthodox Christians still follow the Jewish Orthodox customs of not eating any pork, so lamb takes center stage at their Easter meal.

Others, however, wouldn’t imagine Easter without ham. Symbolizing “good luck” for many cultures around the world, it made a fitting meal at all sorts of feasts and celebrations, according to the Encyclopedia of Religion. Some historians believe Easter’s spring timing also factored into the choice: Farmers typically slaughtered pigs in the fall and then took several months to smoke the pork, making a ham ready just in time for Easter dinner.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #2659

I just thought you might find the background on Easter traditions interesting. I'm done. I hope it didn't bore anyone.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #2660

Easter was my mom's favorite holiday. I used to always bake poppyseed and nut rolls and babka every year and she would get so excited. My recipe for the stuffed rolls takes 3 days to make as you make a sourcream dough one day, the fillings the next day and then stuff and bake the third day. It was a lot of work but she so loved them. I was thinking of her this morning and it made me cry.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #2661

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyone View Post
Hello everyone.. back and in time to say Happy Easter...I ate like 10 pigs...and lost a few bucks...and the Deli Sandwich I looked forward to having.. after my sister in law raved about it....was one of the worst sandwiches I have ever eaten...27.99 for the sandwich!!! wasn't worth 5 bucks.. it was dry and blecky and thank goodness they picked up that tab.. but I did get my RARE PRIME RIB!! I toasted Lony and Sue.. with the more done part of it!!! and the next day for lunch.. I ordered from the Chinese menu. and had an order of Udon noodles with combo of all the meats...Udon is thicker noodles and OMG super duper delicious...and then polished it off with triple brownie ice cream....

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND...and I am PMS'ing to the max here.. no TOM which is good but Cramps came with me..so my son called me at 11am yesterday morning, he had gotten the mail and he was rejected by USC...and boy my heart was just aching because of his sadness... I am not being dramatic.. but you can understand.. so I cried when he told me.. (THANKS PMS)....ironically the only thing that saved his sanity was that his circle of friends were rejected as well..Daniel has a 4.2 GPA and a 33 on his ACT score.. so I guess that made him feel better...so of course Mom and Dad went to a sport's shop there.. we had her husband come and we followed him there... and I bought my son a Baltimore Raven's T shirt...then we got up at 5:30 this morning, we were all packed and gased up... so we left for home.. and made it home around 10:30.. and we returned the rental car...so instead of 149.99 it cost us 75 bucks.. not bad, right??? so I am going to take the savings from that car and run with hubs to Big Lots.. and see if they still have that standing fan.. for the summer here...and that's it!!!!

Missed you guys.. did you miss me?? LOL!!
yes we missed you! i am sorry your DS didn't get into his preferred school but man if a 33 can't get you in EEKK!! maybe he will like the one with the scholarship offers?? cause man i know the kids don't realize it but the less debt they have for it the better WOWZA 30 bucks fo r a sandwich EEK

howdy all nothing much going on here raining and watching tv as usual

ken went to the store with me and was upset to find there were NO baby things with Grandpa on them grandma mommie daddy and auntie was every where and no grandpa LOL he just need to get me an embroidery machine don't ya think?? lol we could never afford one but it is nice to dream
HCG start 351.2 DS14 339.2 DH 223.4
my facebook 179.75 miles DS1612.75 miles
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #2662

Chewie.. that was very interesting.....

Deb....My son decided to go to Cal Lutheran and he is hoping to transfer to USC...then he told me that someone at school said he could get my son a job at Nordstroms.. but My son said no.. cause he didn't want me to waste the gas to take him and pick him up..and he knows I hate bugs at night.. I told him OMG OMG Go back and tell them you will take the job!! I will take you gladly.. and then you save up and buy a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OMG my hubs looked at me horrified by our son!!!

By the way Deb.. my son told me yesterday that when it's time for him to move into the dorm and go to college.. he doesn't want either me or hubs there.. I don't know if that is good or bad LOL.. but I can't get mad at him for wanting independence.. it's a good thing....especially for me, who is going to die when he leaves...

Ok onto cooking...

By the way I saw back in the day.. bunch of daddy stuff at Target.. but that was what 18 years ago..
Old 03-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #2663

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
It's the same in Ukrainian too. Do you also kiss the person 3X on the cheek????
Yep, we do , however we celebrate Easter much later, in early May. It's the Orthodox church calendar. Not sure when it falls this year.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #2664

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Omg, offices and conference rooms popping up left and right!
and i am always left out
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #2665

Quote:
Yep, we do , however we celebrate Easter much later, in early May. It's the Orthodox church calendar. Not sure when it falls this year.
May 5. My MIL celebrates both so I know Lent just started for them. In CT, we used to go to midnight Easter service and walk around the church 3X and then at 3 am or so, we'd go out into the grass to have our Easter baskets blessed. Then you went home and ate from the basket. There were no morning services on Easter Sunday.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #2666

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkeversole View Post
and i am always left out
Me too.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #2667

Chews, we always cook lamb with fresh spinach on Easter, it's a tradition. Color eggs and make kozunak, which is a kind of a braided bread, like hallah (sp) bread or something.... Homemade is really good, still remember grandma and my great aunt making it.....

Quote:
Makes 2 large loaves of Bulgarian Easter Bread or Kozunak
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Ingredients:

4 teaspoons active dry yeast
4 teaspoons sugar
1 large lightly beaten egg
3/4 cup scalded milk cooled to 110 degrees
3/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup rum
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
9 cups all-purpose flour, approximately
1 teaspoon salt
2 ounces (1/2 stick) melted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
5 large eggs
1 teaspoon vailla
1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional)

Preparation:

In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine yeast, sugar 1 egg and warm milk and let stand, covered, in a warm place for 40 minutes. Meanwhile, Place raisins and rum in a small bowl to soak.

Heat 1 cup milk and 1 cup sugar in a small saucepan until warm and set aside. Combine melted butter and oil in a small bowl and set aside. Separate 2 of the eggs, reserving the yolks for the egg wash, and beating the whites with the other 3 whole eggs and vanilla in a separate small bowl. Begin adding warm milk mixture, then butter-oil, eggs, and drained raisins to the yeast mixture, combining until well mixed.

Then begin adding flour (you might not use all of it) and knead until a smooth dough results. It will be sticky. Transfer to a large oiled bowl, turning dough once to coat both sides. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled (1 to 2 hours).

Punch down dough and let rise again, covered, for 1 to 2 hours or until doubled. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Punch down dough and knead for 1 or 2 minutes. Divide in half. Divide each half into 3 pieces and braid on parchment-lined sheet pans. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise about 30 minutes. Brush with reserved egg yolks and sliced almonds, if using. Bake about 30 minute or until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer registers 190 degrees. Remove from oven, remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack.

And just out of nostalgia, an image of a traditional Bulgarian table in traditional pottery:

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,500....and over 3,000,000 steps

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 03-31-2013 at 12:16 PM..
Old 03-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #2668

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkeversole View Post
and i am always left out
You are not the only one
Old 03-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #2669

Ok, I need to go make the creamed spinach, au gratin potatoes, prep the asparagus and make the cornbread pudding. Accckkk, there's still lots to do.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #2670

Deb,when I message you on Facebook you never answer. Same goes for text messages. I just figured you did not want to chat.