LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #1291
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrystal View Post
ok .. not sure who said it or on what page but someone posted that they were making pb fudge? (I think Chewie or Crazyone/Melinda).

Is it low carb? Is the recipe online somewhere? I'd have to sub sunflower butter but I need a good recipe as a starter. I know I could find some online but if you've tried it - its probably good (there are some pretty awful recipes out there!).

(of course then again some people like wheat grass juice )
I made it and it was delicious. It was made with protein powder and pb. It's at home so I can post it later. YUMMMMMM
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrystal View Post
This made me think of something I read once... this women who said that she decided to go on a diet one day when she was sitting on a chair in front of the fridge with the door open cleaning it out (I'm assuming she had some difficulty standing and doing it) and her son walks in and says "Having lunch Mom?".

I know it's bad but it still makes me giggle.
That's funny!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #1293
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: CinnamonSpice
Shepherd's Pie...by the way..the pictures of these are all beautiful...if I knew how to load pictures...it would be great..LOL

Ingredients

Garlicky Potato Topping: (not for Melinda..
4 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
10 whole garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 to 1/2 cup beef broth
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Nonstick cooking spray

Filling:
4 slices bacon, cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
1 teaspoon sugar
1 pound ground beef
2 to 3 medium carrots, roughly chopped, (about 1 cup)
3/4 cups frozen peas, thawed
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 (12-ounce) bottle light or dark beer
1/2 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon finely minced fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Swiss or Cheddar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

Directions

Prepare potato topping: In a large saucepan add the potatoes and garlic and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook, uncovered, until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain. Transfer the potatoes and garlic to a large bowl. Add the sour cream, 1/4 cup of the broth, butter, salt and pepper, and beat on low speed with a hand mixer until the potatoes are light and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes. If the mixture is too dry, add the remaining 1/4 cup broth. Do not overmix. Cover and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 10-inch round baking dish with nonstick spray.

Prepare filling: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally until browned and almost crisp, about 7 to 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate; set aside.

Add the oil to the drippings in the skillet and put over medium heat. Add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft and just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle in the sugar, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to caramelize, about 3 minutes. Stir in the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat, until the beef begins to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the carrots, peas, and garlic and cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and flour and cook, stirring, until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add the beer, bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, and scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, about 2 minutes Add the cooked bacon, the broth, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and the pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the sauce thickens, about 15 minutes.

Spoon the meat mixture into the prepared baking dish. Spread the potato topping evenly over the beef mixture. Bake until the filling is hot, the topping is lightly browned and the edges are bubbly, about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the cheese. Return to the oven and bake for 10 more minutes. Let rest out of the oven for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

Commitment means staying loyal to what you said you were going to do long after the mood you said it in has left you.
CinnamonSpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #1294
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kcmama
Stats: 200/190/150
WOE: modified low carb
Start Date: Sept 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Good Morning folks. Wow, things are all of a sudden changing big time. I'm in a size 1X top from a 3X. I was able to comfortably cross my legs on Sunday. I can't even remember the last time I could do that and today, I am 1 pound away from 60 pounds gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats, it must feel great. The surgery you had was permanent so you will only eat these small portions and certain foods for the rest of your life? Or, you go in and have something removed after you reach goal? How does this work again? Seems to me that this is working because you are eating such minuscule amounts vs your portion sizes prior, correct? So, as long as you don't increase the number of times you eat per day, increase the portion size then ideally you should continue to lose weight and then maintain the loss, right? Or are you restricted on the types of food once you are on maintenance? I mean only a certain amt of protein a day, so much fat, not this or that type of carb. Have you learned that yet or do they give you that info as you get closer to goal? Just curious as to how this works and why some people lose with this surgery and others don't or some gain it back and some don't.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #1295

Gallery: Lony
Stats: 357/230/160
WOE: Atkins(ish)
Start Date: July 6 2011
Good morning sunshines.
Lony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #1296
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning, Lony...how the ankle?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #1297

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonSpice View Post
In honor of my son-in-law...all Irish...and a joy.

Ingredients

For the brine:
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons whole coriander
1 1/2 tablespoons whole mustard seeds
1 1/2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
1 1/2 tablespoons whole allspice
4 sprigs fresh marjoram
4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
2 bay leaves
1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) brisket

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, halved
6 carrots, coarsely chopped
1 head celery including leaves, coarsely chopped
1 head garlic, halved
3 sprigs fresh marjoram
2 bay leaves
1 small cabbage cut into 6 to 8 wedges
Herbed Root Vegetables, recipe follows

Directions

Combine all the brine ingredients, except the brisket, in a large non-reactive bowl. Add the brisket (you may have to cut it into 2 pieces) and rub the spice mix into the meat. Pour cold water over until the meat is covered. Weight the brisket down with a small plate so that it is completely submerged; cover and refrigerate. The meat can be brined overnight or as long as 10 days. The longer the brining the more pickled the meat.

Heat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, marjoram, and bay leaves and cook until starting to soften, about 10 minutes. Remove the meat from the brine and rinse it well. Set the meat on top of the vegetables and add water to just cover the meat. Bring to a boil skimming any foam that surfaces. Reduce the heat to a simmer, place the lid on the pot, and cook for 15 minutes. Add the cabbage pieces, cover, and put it into the oven; cook for 3 hours.

Remove the meat, cover it with foil, and let it rest for 20 minutes. Cut the fat off the corned beef, slice the meat against the grain, and serve it in shallow bowls with the cabbage wedges, some cooking liquid, and the Herbed Root Vegetables.

Herbed Root Vegetables:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed
1 pound baby carrots, trimmed and scrubbed
1 pound baby turnips, trimmed and scrubbed
1 pound baby parsnips, trimmed and scrubbed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Herb Butter:
1/2 pound unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup mixed chopped fresh herbs like thyme, mint, chives, parsley, or chervil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Put the olive oil and butter into a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and toss to coat them well with the fat; season with salt and pepper. Add 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the Herb Butter by combining the soft butter and herbs together; season with some salt and pepper.

To serve, spread some Herb Butter in the bottom of a bowl. Add the hot vegetables and dot with more Herb Butter. Moisten with some of the cooking liquid and serve.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ease of preparation: easy
This makes the BEST corned beef ever. The only issue is that it's not red and that's a bit odd. I have made it numerous times.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #1298

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmama View Post
Congrats, it must feel great. The surgery you had was permanent so you will only eat these small portions and certain foods for the rest of your life? Or, you go in and have something removed after you reach goal? How does this work again? Seems to me that this is working because you are eating such minuscule amounts vs your portion sizes prior, correct? So, as long as you don't increase the number of times you eat per day, increase the portion size then ideally you should continue to lose weight and then maintain the loss, right? Or are you restricted on the types of food once you are on maintenance? I mean only a certain amt of protein a day, so much fat, not this or that type of carb. Have you learned that yet or do they give you that info as you get closer to goal? Just curious as to how this works and why some people lose with this surgery and others don't or some gain it back and some don't.
Nope, the surgery is permanent. They took out 75-80% of my stomach so small portions will be the norm from now on. Although the nutritionist did tell me that at a year or so, I should be able to eat more normal portions---like 1200 calories a day vs the 5-600 I eat now.

As far as what I can eat---I can essentially eat anything. I have certain rules I am told to follow which I have been following 100% so far but I'm sure that will change. Protein first, get all your water in, no drinking 30 minutes before, during and after eating, move more. After protein, I can have veggies and then if there is room, healthy whole grain carbs. I just stay away from carbs and it's pretty easy now as my whole family is doing lc. I do not even have lc desserts anymore, just don't have the room. If I eat even a bite too much, I get bad pain in my stomach/upper gut. Now I know when to stop and believe me, I listen. The pain is not fun!
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!

Last edited by chewiegand; 03-12-2013 at 07:15 AM..
Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #1299
Big Yapper!!!!

<<< Found my hat picture...now if I could just find my hat..pretty sure I left it in a coffee shop in FL...
Old 03-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #1300

I made that chicken chili last night. Normally I add a can of corn but I didn't have any so I used hominy. YUCK. I did not like that. I ended up eating maybe 2 tablespoons of chili and I was done. This hominy was hard, almost the same texture as chickpeas. I remember it as soft. WTH?????
Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #1301

Quote:
Morning, Lony...how the ankle?
It is ok Lynn thanks for asking. I am not going to let it slow me down.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lony View Post
You better take some breaks and ice it frequently too. If you don't, it will be all swollen tonight. HUGS
Old 03-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #1303
Big Yapper!!!!

I am so dumb..LOL..will have to put the picture in my avatar...but, it will lose a lot in the translation...actually, Lony...if I send it to you could you post it...it is the most amazing house...a friend of my son's built it. I promise I won't stalk you...LOL

Last edited by CinnamonSpice; 03-12-2013 at 07:24 AM..
Old 03-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #1304
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am starving so I made myself an Almond flavored OMM. I made two loaves of Quick Breads for the family last night to have for breakfast and it has been killing me not to eat any. This muffin is good and satisfying my craving. I am also having a cup of Constant Comment Tea to go with. Whew. I may be able to remain lc today after all. Have not lost any weight since I restarted on Friday. I may be eating too many carbs from roasted veggies.
kcmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #1305

Gallery: crazyone
Stats: 404/295.6/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 28, 2009
Quote:
Yes it is good. I do a balsamic reduction for brussels sprouts!
I can eat Brussels sprouts, plain with no butter nothing.. same with asparagus....
crazyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #1306

Thanks Chewie I am not a lover of cumin...so maybe I can add a pinch to my recipe.. if I choose to make it...
Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #1307

Quote:
Heya Snow Girly...
Old 03-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #1308

be back in a bit...I gotta do something..
Old 03-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #1309
Big Yapper!!!!

Lots of restaurants are on a brussel sprouts kick out here...served roasted all kinds of ways...they are excellent...get them often.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #1310

Hey ya hottie!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #1311

Lynn.. you are such a beautiful women....
Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #1312

Quote:
Hey ya hottie!
I am now that I ripped the bra off.. LOLOLOL!!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #1313
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Nope, the surgery is permanent. They took out 75-80% of my stomach so small portions will be the norm from now on. Although the nutritionist did tell me that at a year or so, I should be able to eat more normal portions---like 1200 calories a day vs the 5-600 I eat now.

As far as what I can eat---I can essentially eat anything. I have certain rules I am told to follow which I have been following 100% so far but I'm sure that will change. Protein first, get all your water in, no drinking 30 minutes before, during and after eating, move more. After protein, I can have veggies and then if there is room, healthy whole grain carbs. I just stay away from carbs and it's pretty easy now as my whole family is doing lc. I do not even have lc desserts anymore, just don't have the room. If I eat even a bite too much, I get bad pain in my stomach/upper gut. Now I know when to stop and believe me, I listen. The pain is not fun!
Wowza! They left you with very little of your stomach! Whew. Sad to hear that you get serious pain if you overeat.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #1314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyone View Post
I can eat Brussels sprouts, plain with no butter nothing.. same with asparagus....
And I cannot eat brussels sprouts plain, no butter, nothing! I don't think there is a vegetable I will eat plain. Oh, wait,yes there is, sweet red peppers.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #1315

Chewie is the Chef Du Jour here!!!

Lynn.. those recipes look so good.. I love corned beef.. I just buy the ones already done in the market...ad papers are today!!!! so I am hoping we get a good deal on the corned beef.. I want to make that corned beef dip so bad...corned beef is one of my top favorites of anything....
Old 03-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #1316

Quote:
And I cannot eat brussels sprouts plain, no butter, nothing! I don't think there is a vegetable I will eat plain. Oh, wait,yes there is, sweet red peppers.
I used to love sweet red peppers so much.. then boom...something happen and now all peppers wreck havoc on my tummy...

Brussels sprouts, raw, is sweet...I love raw cabbage as well...it's also sweet..
Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #1317

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyone View Post
I am now that I ripped the bra off.. LOLOLOL!!!!
Eeeeek, Jail break, jail break!!!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #1318

Quote:
Morning Ladies... I think I am all caught up...man Melinda...you are something...my hat is off to you...well, if I wore a hat... I think I do have a picture of me in a hat in FL somewhere..and then I lost it..

Congrat's, Deb! Don't predict the future, Deb...it's impossible anyway.. I am always happy for my kids and their kids no matter who gives them stuff. I have established my relationship with my kids by now..lol...and the grandchildren are awesome..but, since I don't see them a whole lot...I am always happy when they get to go to their other Nana's (she lives on a lake in the summer)...cause I know when the grandchildren are happy my child is happy.

I am still picturing you walking in the dark, Melinda...
Lynn....why is your hats off to me?? and I am fat and gained a ton of weight.. hats off to Chewie.. LOL!!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #1319

Quote:
I am so dumb..LOL..will have to put the picture in my avatar...but, it will lose a lot in the translation...actually, Lony...if I send it to you could you post it...it is the most amazing house...a friend of my son's built it. I promise I won't stalk you...LOL
Old 03-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #1320

Quote:
Eeeeek, Jail break, jail break!!!!!
First thing I do when I get in the house is close the door lock it and rip the bra off and toss it on the couch for later use....

Gosh Lonykins...I have 37 more minutes left to do.. I am beat...