Old 03-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #1261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kcmama
Stats: 200/190/150
WOE: modified low carb
Start Date: Sept 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lony View Post
How long do you plan on staying on it? I thought about that too but we know what happened last time.
Nooooo, I don't remember. You did a fat fast?!
kcmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #1262
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lony
Stats: 357/230/160
WOE: Atkins(ish)
Start Date: July 6 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmama View Post
Nooooo, I don't remember. You did a fat fast?!
For a day and a half. I could have had a colonoscopy the next day.
Lony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #1263
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x69/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Ooooooooor, you could make dresses for Dress a Girl Around the World. I have started doing that with a group at a church where I am doing Bible Study. But you can google that for basic pattern and tips, like making sure the fabric is not too sheer, etc. I think the dress is the basic same pattern as the Pillowcase dresses, except you have to put in a hem, and sew an extra seam.

My daughter is 13 also and in 7th grade! She will be taking sewing again next year. Really, she doesn't have that many options since she doesn't want to do choir, orchestra, band, computers, or preengineering.
Well I could but I'm not that great a sewer (hence part of the reason I didn't manage to sew many things) and I just recently started trying to crochet some purple hats for charity - for shaken baby syndrome. The purple hat is to try to remind parents it is normal and ok for babies to cry and it's not ok to shake them. With crochet I can take with me when I'm running around taking the kids to scouts, doctors, etc. I work full time so don't really have much extra time. I could look at my fabric stash and see if I could donate some if someone wanted to sew it. Though not all my fabric would be suitable as a lot was for fru-fru girly stuff but I probably have some that'd work.

My daughter is in 8th grade - she just barely made the cutoff as her birthday is in August. Like your daughter her options were limited at her school they only let them take one semester (in 8th grade I think for sewing) so she wound up in Choir (she loves to sing but is rather pitchy sometimes but she's getting better). I really thought she'd want art but she didn't. I don't think they have enough different types of electives.... most seem geared to arts/music which just isn't everyone's thing. Actually she's really an anime buff but they don't have classes on that.

webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #1264

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
How long do you plan on staying on it? I thought about that too but we know what happened last time.
At least 3 days but 10 days would be optimal. Gotta go back to that thread i showed you and read up, they were quoting Phinney.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #1265

Two more sleeps and the hubs will be home from his hitch!

That is all.

Last edited by Lony; 03-11-2013 at 08:04 PM..
Old 03-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #1266
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x69/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Drumline

It's funny you mentioned drum line just yesterday I saw the most awesome drum line video on FB. It was incredible. Not sure I can post a link to it here or not.

Anyway they even had drums that lit to the drumming (at one point not the whole time). They had drumstick "fights" while still drumming, one had their sticks on fire (well that's what it looked like anyway), and other etc. so cool!

Someone said it was Top Secret, a Drum Corps out of Basel, Switzerland, .. the best is the Basel Tattoo 2012 ....

I'm a dork though - I've even watched the Drumline movies.
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #1267

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Two more sleeps and the hubs will be home from his hitch!

That is all.
Yay!
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #1268
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrystal View Post
It's funny you mentioned drum line just yesterday I saw the most awesome drum line video on FB. It was incredible. Not sure I can post a link to it here or not.

Anyway they even had drums that lit to the drumming (at one point not the whole time). They had drumstick "fights" while still drumming, one had their sticks on fire (well that's what it looked like anyway), and other etc. so cool!

Someone said it was Top Secret, a Drum Corps out of Basel, Switzerland, .. the best is the Basel Tattoo 2012 ....

I'm a dork though - I've even watched the Drumline movies.
We love drumlines and drum corps. My sister is even more fanatical than I am about them. Both her boys are drummers. Her son is going to be a Junior next year and the Band Director and the Drum Director have made him section leader. His little brother is in 7th grade and also very good. They are very good on Marimba, too. My sis and I were marching band geeks ourselves though.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #1269
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
For a day and a half. I could have had a colonoscopy the next day.
Ohhhhh, not good. Not good at all./sorry.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #1270

Quote:
Ohhhhh, not good. Not good at all./sorry.
It was just a crappy day.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #1271

Quote:
We love drumlines and drum corps. My sister is even more fanatical than I am about them. Both her boys are drummers. Her son is going to be a Junior next year and the Band Director and the Drum Director have made him section leader. His little brother is in 7th grade and also very good. They are very good on Marimba, too. My sis and I were marching band geeks ourselves though.
Marching band geeks. LOL My school was so small we didn't have a marching. Half the people in the band were on the football team. The other half were the cheerleaders
Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #1272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, I am the first to post this morning? Melinda must be sleeping in for a change!

Good Morning All! I have already had my first cup of coffee, made breakfast and lunch, and been to the bus stop and back and checked out some yarn online....
Old 03-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #1273
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Marching band geeks. LOL My school was so small we didn't have a marching. Half the people in the band were on the football team. The other half were the cheerleaders
I can't imagine. There were almost 600 of us in my graduating class alone.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #1274
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Back from running my son to school. He mentioned his brakes squealing the other night. Said it happens when he is going about 50 and has to brake. I said, well go slower, don't wait until the last minute to brake and we will take the car in on Wed since spring break starts. Then he tells me last night that it was making the sound just driving it......so I guess it is going to the shop a day earlier. Thought it was the brakes now not so sure.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #1275

Gallery: crazyone
Stats: 404/295.6/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 28, 2009
Good Morning....

Good Morning Kcmama...I got up and walked first....I did 10 minutes...just 50 to go!!! I did sleep in though to 5:55 LOL...this game on my Ipad.. I found it and he showed me how to go into the store thingy and download it.. at first he was like wow Ma this is easy but it's good for your old brain.. but now he takes my Ipad and goes to the game LOL!!!! and then this Angry Birds is a load of fun... boy how constructive right?? LOL

Some of the cheerleaders also play in the band...I don't get that...yeah my son is an official band geek!!! but thankfully so far knocking all the wood in my house it's kept him out of trouble...

Well bra on and dress on and hair in pony tail...and this bra is killing me cause it's digging in my back..grrr

Ok I am going to try and get a few more minutes in of walking...back in a bit..
crazyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #1276

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Good Morning folks. Wow, things are all of a sudden changing big time. I'm in a size 1X top from a 3X. I was able to comfortably cross my legs on Sunday. I can't even remember the last time I could do that and today, I am 1 pound away from 60 pounds gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #1277
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: CinnamonSpice
Morning Ladies... I think I am all caught up...man Melinda...you are something...my hat is off to you...well, if I wore a hat... I think I do have a picture of me in a hat in FL somewhere..and then I lost it..

Congrat's, Deb! Don't predict the future, Deb...it's impossible anyway.. I am always happy for my kids and their kids no matter who gives them stuff. I have established my relationship with my kids by now..lol...and the grandchildren are awesome..but, since I don't see them a whole lot...I am always happy when they get to go to their other Nana's (she lives on a lake in the summer)...cause I know when the grandchildren are happy my child is happy.

I am still picturing you walking in the dark, Melinda...

Commitment means staying loyal to what you said you were going to do long after the mood you said it in has left you.
CinnamonSpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #1278
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Good Morning folks. Wow, things are all of a sudden changing big time. I'm in a size 1X top from a 3X. I was able to comfortably cross my legs on Sunday. I can't even remember the last time I could do that and today, I am 1 pound away from 60 pounds gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chewie...you are over the hump...now is when to relish the moment...but, keep on keepin on...I remember crossing my legs one Thanksgiving...LOL I also remember having a problem FROM crossing my legs after that..I guess they weren't used to it...and was told not to cross my legs...
Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #1279

Quote:
My younger ds even took the carpet shampooer up there and did some spots in his room. Then I didn't feel like going up to see the clean room so he took pics on his phone.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #1280

Gallery: crazyone
Stats: 404/295.6/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 28, 2009
Lynn LOL!!! I went outside to move the the green can down to the street as sonny boy forget but I looked at the time when I left the house.. so while I was out there I started walking back and forth and back and forth in my front yard and then went inside and looked at the clock...

Chewie congrats...

Oops someone is yelling at me that we gotta go!!
crazyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #1281

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyone View Post
Chewie.. one more quick question in your opinion.. can Corriander be substituted for Cumin????
Nope, they are 2 different things. Definitely buy some cumin---it is a smoky yummy flavor. I use it in most things I cook and buy the big thing at Sam's.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #1282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
I'll be standing by the gate wearing cowboy boots and hat with a giant smoked steer slung over my shoulder.
When I get to goal, I am getting some cool girly cowboy boots. They will definitely have some pink on them!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
I love balsamic vinegar in salads, but it has a few carbs.....Red wine vinegar is also pretty great.
My dh made a balsamic reduction for some caprese skewers a few weeks ago. OMG---it was so GOOD!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #1284

Quote:
Girls I have a question for you...

Today I was feeling all mushy and missing my sister so I sent her some flowers. She did say thank you, by text message. Is it just me or is that kinda rude?
Just a text??? That is rude, imho. She could have at least called you.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #1285
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Nope, they are 2 different things. Definitely buy some cumin---it is a smoky yummy flavor. I use it in most things I cook and buy the big thing at Sam's.
I love Coriander and I love Cumin so I always have both in my house. I go through Cumin faster due to making chili but I use them both.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #1286
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
My dh made a balsamic reduction for some caprese skewers a few weeks ago. OMG---it was so GOOD!!!!!!!!!
Yes it is good. I do a balsamic reduction for brussels sprouts!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #1287
Big Yapper!!!!

In honor of my son-in-law...all Irish...and a joy.

Ingredients

For the brine:
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons whole coriander
1 1/2 tablespoons whole mustard seeds
1 1/2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
1 1/2 tablespoons whole allspice
4 sprigs fresh marjoram
4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
2 bay leaves
1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) brisket

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, halved
6 carrots, coarsely chopped
1 head celery including leaves, coarsely chopped
1 head garlic, halved
3 sprigs fresh marjoram
2 bay leaves
1 small cabbage cut into 6 to 8 wedges
Herbed Root Vegetables, recipe follows

Directions

Combine all the brine ingredients, except the brisket, in a large non-reactive bowl. Add the brisket (you may have to cut it into 2 pieces) and rub the spice mix into the meat. Pour cold water over until the meat is covered. Weight the brisket down with a small plate so that it is completely submerged; cover and refrigerate. The meat can be brined overnight or as long as 10 days. The longer the brining the more pickled the meat.

Heat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, marjoram, and bay leaves and cook until starting to soften, about 10 minutes. Remove the meat from the brine and rinse it well. Set the meat on top of the vegetables and add water to just cover the meat. Bring to a boil skimming any foam that surfaces. Reduce the heat to a simmer, place the lid on the pot, and cook for 15 minutes. Add the cabbage pieces, cover, and put it into the oven; cook for 3 hours.

Remove the meat, cover it with foil, and let it rest for 20 minutes. Cut the fat off the corned beef, slice the meat against the grain, and serve it in shallow bowls with the cabbage wedges, some cooking liquid, and the Herbed Root Vegetables.

Herbed Root Vegetables:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed
1 pound baby carrots, trimmed and scrubbed
1 pound baby turnips, trimmed and scrubbed
1 pound baby parsnips, trimmed and scrubbed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Herb Butter:
1/2 pound unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup mixed chopped fresh herbs like thyme, mint, chives, parsley, or chervil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Put the olive oil and butter into a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and toss to coat them well with the fat; season with salt and pepper. Add 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the Herb Butter by combining the soft butter and herbs together; season with some salt and pepper.

To serve, spread some Herb Butter in the bottom of a bowl. Add the hot vegetables and dot with more Herb Butter. Moisten with some of the cooking liquid and serve.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ease of preparation: easy
Old 03-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #1288

Quote:
actually my son is a person that takes good care when your sick.. I will be sending him your way!!! hope you feel better....
My older one does too, not the younger one.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #1289

Quote:
Baby I am funny and Sexy and the perfect women!! LOL (COUGH COUGH COUGH).. there is just a tad too much of me...
Just more to love!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #1290
Big Yapper!!!!

Irish Stew...

Ingredients
2 medium-sized onions, chopped
Oil, for frying
1-ounce butter
1 sprig dried thyme
2 1/2 pounds best end of lamb neck, cut into large pieces
7 carrots, chopped lengthways into 2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons pearl barley
5 cups chicken stock, recipe follows

Salt (recommended: Fleur du Sel)
Freshly ground black pepper
1 bouquet garni (parsley, thyme, and bay leaf)
12 medium potatoes
1 bunch parsley, leaves finely chopped
1 bunch chives

Serving suggestion: herb butter, recipe follows

Directions

In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, cook the onions in oil and butter, on medium-high heat until they are translucent. Add the dried thyme and stir. Add the lamb and brown on a high heat to seal in juices. Add carrots, and pearl barley. Pour in the chicken stock so that it almost covers the meat and vegetables. Season with salt and pepper, and add Bouquet garni. Cover and cook on low heat for 2 hours, being careful not to boil. Place potatoes on top of the stew, cover and cook for 30 minutes until the meat is falling beautifully off the bones and the potatoes are fork tender.

Serve the stew in large flat soup bowls, and drizzle herb butter over the potatoes or garnish with parsley and chives.

Stock:

Chicken carcass

1 onion

4 cups water

3 stalks celery, roughly chopped

Bay leaf

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the stockpot. Combine ingredients in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil and simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Then let it cool down and skim off the fat.

Yield: 6 servings

Herb Butter:

1 stick butter

1 small bunch parsley, finely chopped

1 small bunch chives, finely chopped

1 sprig thyme

Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add parsley, chives and thyme.

Yield: 6 servings