Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Century Club (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/)
-   -   Lost 100+ pounds and starving just to maintain the loss? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/798034-lost-100-pounds-starving-just-maintain-loss.html)

jenericstewart 02-27-2013 11:22 AM

Lost 100+ pounds and starving just to maintain the loss?

When I was younger, it took me five years to lose 60 pounds, and then it was terribly difficult to maintain the loss. (Now I realize the problem was that I didn't take carbs into account.) I quit dieting after that, until last summer. One of the reasons I hadn't dieted for many years is because I'm all too well aware of the price it takes to keep off the weight, let alone get the weight off in the first place.

I decided that I am not willing to live with less than 1500 calories just to maintain whatever it is that I lose. For this reason, I'm not willing to do whatever it takes to lose the weight either. I am planning to land where I land on the scale, wherever that takes me, preferrably in onderland. :)

I am curious, for those who've lost a great deal of weight, I'm wondering how many calories/carbs it takes for you to maintain your loss.

ravenrose 02-27-2013 11:46 AM

oh golly. I have lost a lot, but not NEARLY enough to get me into the normal weight range. I have to stay at about 1500 a day to maintain this weight and can't seem to lose more. I am 6' 1/2" tall, and at my height 1500 calories is just not that much! yes, I am hungry a lot.

at my current weight, height, and activity level, the charts say I should be able to lose weight pretty fast at this level, but my metabolism doesnt know that.

depends on the problems you face because of your weight whether it's worth it! my diabetes and other problems pretty much require it. And even though I am still fat, getting around and doing things is much easier than when I was REALLY obese. it's worth it.

jenericstewart 02-28-2013 04:27 AM

Thank you for your candor, ravenrose. 1500 sounds more doable than some of the other stories I've heard. It is so so sad that all those charts that say we can eat such-and-such at such-and-such a weight aren't always accurate.

I do think it so discouraging that the maintain lane has few postings. Either these people lose it and move on without thought to the rest of us still struggling...:p...or there just aren't many out there. I think it's the latter.

I just feel like there's got to be more to life than living in starvation mode. I do not have health issues related to weight, so I am very lucky. It's easy for me to say that I won't be able to live like that. If everything goes as planned, my goal's to lose 125 pounds. Time will tell.

MaryMary 03-08-2013 06:25 PM

I don't starve and would like to lose perhaps 10 more pounds but if I don't, that's ok. Right now I am in the winter hibernation mode. My doctor told me it is a proven fact that up north the body's metabolism slows down in the winter, so if you keep doing the same thing that you did when it was warm, you can plateau in the winter or at least slow down.

I eat anywhere from 1300-1500 cal a day. That includes about 100 grams carbohydrate of which 30 are fiber. No grain, sugar or alcohol. 5-9 servings of veggies and fruit, 3 servings protein, 4 servings fat, 2 servings sesame or flaxseed meal. When I was eating 1700 cal a day, I was maintaining. Come springtime, I will get back outdoors to walk again.