Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sharkini
Stats: 289/273/199 for now
WOE: JUDDD - lots of veggies
Start Date: 10/4/13
Thanks, Leo. Yeah, I probably should have said 3 pounds but my finger was pulled toward 5. I'll keep doing what I've been and see how it goes.
sharkini is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Hop in Sharkini, and good luck with your goals.

Today I drove into Cambridge Mass to visit an old friend who was in town at a conference. I haven't seen her in 8 years. It felt like yesterday. We have lots in common and hope to email more frequently.

Did a lot of cooking this morning. Had some spaghetti squash for lunch with sauce..yumm.

Have a good week everyone.

Last edited by MaryMary; 03-17-2013 at 05:55 PM..
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Gosh, I'm soooo behind here!

Arborea-- glad you got your tooth checked... infections there can easily get into your blood, and travel to your heart and kidneys so you were BRAVE (bc while I love my dentist and cleanings, I'm a chicken about fillings...) and now you don't have to worry about it anymore. Prevention is key so floss and brush daily! (says the girl who had to learn this lesson the hard way).

Mary-- very interesting news and info about the surgery. Glad you're a good candidate and that you can be supported (financially and with family) through this. I"m interested to hear your updates as you go through it. I'm not at that stage yet with my loss, so any info is good info!

to everyone! I gained about 7lbs on/after my trip last week so I'm just getting right back to what I know works for me, and I MUST find a way to avoid this in the future.

Ok, off to drink more water and get some tea, too
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #124
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Soren-
It's terrible that you gain when you travel for work. I agree that it would be great to find a solution because I just hate having to take off pounds that I never should have gained. IMO, anything work related should be a 'calorie-free' zone, but I know it doesn't happen that way.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/322/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Happy Wednesday ~ Back on the wagon since Monday. I only weigh once a week so I'm not sure how much more damage I did.

Even though I fell off the wagon with food, I've been doing my 1 mile walking tape and logging my steps 5,451 Monday and 4,571 Tuesday. Shooting for at least 5,000 today.

Arborea ~ Glad that your tooth pain is almost gone.

Thanks Leo ~ Ouch, hope the pain is getting better with the medication.

Michele on the pounds gone.

Mary ~ Thanks for the links and I think it is going to make your surgery even more special that you have been saving for it and I love that you are calling it a "gift"

Denise ~ Hope you feel better soon.

Sharkini ~ Looking forward to getting to know you.

Home Soren ~ if memory serves me right, those 7lbs will be a distant memory very soon.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
Start Date: February 4, 2013
Cindy: glad you picked yourself up and jumped back on with us
All is good on my end...weightloss is soooo slow but I'm not discouraged yet....when I start thinking negative I go back to my top 5 reasons I want to lose weight ...that helps me lot.

Have a great evening!
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #127
Blabbermouth!!!

Hello everyone,
We had a spring (almost) snowstorm Monday night through the middle of last night. About a foot so I worked from home the last two days. Tomorrow is spring! Yeh!

My DD has been following my food plan for the last couple weeks and feels better. She is really getting into having a big beautiful salad with the proteins and fats. She lost 9 lbs during the time. Then last night she tells me she and that guy are really over, and here I thought it ended two weeks ago. He moved ouut. They went on a date to the movies and he was the same jerk he was before. I pray to God she really sees the light this time. Being addicted to a relationship is as hard as being addicted to food. We start and restart and restart until we get that we have to have no contact with the stuff that makes us go crazy with the food or person. It is not much different.

I am hoping I may get to go for a walk with DH this weekend in the park in town like we used to do before the snow came a few months ago. DH has to go for an endo something or other this Friday. Same problem as a year ago with his stomach. Please keep him in your prayers.

I am tired tonight and think I will go to bed early. Happy Spring!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy spring to you guys too!
Not much to report tonight.
Water weight coming off slowly, but sticking to the plan.
s.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Hanging in there .... funny how the walking tape and the steps are working great but struggling with food. Before I was struggling with exercise and food didn't seem to be as much of a problem.

They are calling for more snow.

Thanks Michele

Mary ~ for DH and thanks for update about DD, I was wondering how she was doing.

Soren
cindym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #130
Senior LCF member

Cindy- I'm sure you know that all the weight-loss experts agree that the food is more important than the exercise--by far. Of course, knowing and doing do not always correlate.

My knee is so much better with the NSAID, but I really don't want to take this long term. I'm going to wean myself off starting tomorrow. I know from experience that just 'stopping' isn't good. If the pain was just from an irritation to the soft tissue, it should be OK.

I may seem paranoid, but all my doctors say that Rx always has some negative effects on the body, and the ideal is to only take was absolutely necessary. That's what I try to do.

Last edited by Leo41; 03-21-2013 at 12:35 PM..
Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yikes, Leo, that knee thing sounds pretty bad if you have a Rx for it? What's the issue long term, stomach upset?
I heard the same thing from my mom, about her hip (she had surgery, and I believe her surgeon said to stop using ibuprofen...).
I still find it very helpful in stopping a headache from becoming a full migraine.

Cindy! I also agree with Leo-- if you're having trouble with both food and exercise, I choose food management. I personally don't lose when I'm exercising (i.e. more than just walking the dogs a couple times a day). I consciously decided to do my WOE for the first 60+ or so (i.e. to onederland) before I take up any new exercise regime.

I find it makes me HUNGRY, and no matter what plan you do, you can't just eat and eat and eat! So, I might stretch now and then, but focussing just on getting my head right with food is working for me this go around.
ymmv of course

We're getting snow and cold on/off here too, and I have to drive to Montreal this weekend for Passover... I managed my food schedule so that I can eat whatever I want (in reason) on the night of the big family dinner, but that means I'll be driving on my low calorie days, both ways! So, lots of water, caffeine, and pit stops for me!

S.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #132
Senior LCF member

Soren- Both my knees are a mess from osteoarthritis (bone on bone). I was resigned to replacement, but my surgeon advised me to wait because I've been controlling pain with diet and exercise--no Rx (what I'm taking is what's left of an old prescription). He warned, however, that the pain may 'break through' at any time, and then it will be double knee replacement. That's why I get nervous about pain. I would really prefer to avoid surgery, which is why I'm hoping this is just a temporary issue.

Personally, I usually try to do low calorie on "travel days." When I'm driving long distances, it's much more important for me to be well rested than anything else. And hydrated. That's my challenge because the more I drink, the more I need to pee. But I once did a long trip and avoided drinking any water so that I would not have to stop--and wound up in the ER with dehydration. So I'm more careful now.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #133
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow Leo, sorry to hear about the knees. If you have to have the surgery, better to get it while your still young. Then you can enjoy the next 25 years

Busy day at work, have tomorrow off to take my husband to the hospital for an endoscopy. They did his a year ago and ended up doing 23 biopsies of his stomach and intestnines. He was diagnosed with some type of bacteria that was in the stomach wall. He had to go on a heavy dose of antibiotics. Perhaps, it has come back. Say a prayer for him.

Regardless of life's problems, I am not going to eat over it as the problem will still be there when we get through this. If I eat, I'll be miserable to boot. No thank you to misery.

Have a great day tomirriw!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:17 AM   #134
Senior LCF member

I hope that bacteria hasn't come back, Mary, and that the problem can be easily solved.

My surgeon says the opposite about my knees--and I trust him. I go to the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC, and it's the best ortho hospital in the wrold. He says that it's a quality of life issue, and as long as I'm comfortable with my limitations (and I am), the only issue is pain--which so far is controlled. He calls the surgery 'gruesome,' and in his opinion is best avoided if possible. That's my opinion, too.

I asked about age--i.e., if it's inevitable at some point, shouldn't I get it done now? But he said that he's operated on people in their 90s, and there's no reason to consider age. I agreed because I'm 71 and may die before I am forced to have the surgery due to pain.

I know this sounds dreadful, but I had an uncle whose knee replacement was not a success, and he suffered the consequences for the rest of his life. No surgery is without risks, so I plan to avoid this if at all possible.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:07 AM   #135
Blabbermouth!!!

That's good to know. I may have to decide some day on a similar type of thing. Good to know. Thanks, Leo
Old 03-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #136
Senior LCF member

Mary- I don't want to appear excessively negative. I've known people who have experienced both knee and hip replacement and are happy they did it.

But some time ago [my arthritis became serious when I was still in my 30s], I realized that conventional medicine pushes us to surgery because the meds take their toll and ultimately make things worse. I began with physical therapy to strengthen my leg muscles because with bad joints, you have to rely on your muscles more. Then I researched (and eliminated) most inflammatory foods. So between diet and exercise, I am currently 'comfortable' with my bad knees.

The surgeon has warned that the pain can break through at any time, and if it does, I'll definitely opt for surgery. I won't live in pain. But I also think that I'll have a better recovery having already strengthened my muscles and learned to eat better.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My mom had 1 hip done a summer or 2 ago, so she was 68 or 69 at the time. Because she is slim, and generally in good health (though the growing pain in her hip, which took FOREVER to diagnose for some reason... at one point the said she had shinsplints? anyway, the pain definitely limited her from her daily walk in Mont Royal park, and tai chi, etc)... so for her, she was up the night of the surgery, and walking well enough to be released 2.5 days later (they of course try to get your out asap so you don't catch a horrible hospital infection).

Her recovery was speedy, and like Leo, focused on rebuilding muscles, which had atrophied due to disuse due to pain. I was amazed, but within a couple months, she was back to normal, and was just upset b/c they wouldn't let her wear heels
She's only 5' tall and has flat feet, so she ALWAYS wears some sort of heel, says they feel better... anyway, not sure if she'll get the other hip done, ever, or might even need this one re-done in the future, since they *only* last 10-15yrs they say, and I'm sure she'll wear hers out with her long walks and general running around!

I'll be seeing her on Sunday/Monday, going in to Montreal for Passover holiday with the family. DH has to stay here b/c he's got Jury Duty, of all things! Usually, he can't come b/c of work. Now, he's not working, but has this other thing. My family is going to think he doesn't exist!

S.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #138
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone,

Got my hair done today. Results of tests yesterday for DH are that he needs to have surgery, remove a cyst on his pancreas that they couldn't reach doing the endoscopy. Keep him in your prayers.

DD is doing better I pray. Today we are going walking after lunch. Car problems for DH, something to do with the clutch. When it rains, it pours. But today I am not going to eat over it. I can stick to my plan and focus on today.

Have a great weekend everone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Weight is up but I'm done beating myself up about it. Looking at the positives and started a 30 day Gratitude Project today.

Thanks Leo & Soren ~ I always appreciate your advice

Mary
cindym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #140
Senior LCF member

Mary- Sorry about your husband's health issue. I hope all goes well with surgery.

Cindy- No beating yourself up! We've all been there, and it's so destructive. You are better able to cope when you feel positive about yourself. And there is so much to be positive about. Just from your various posts (on a variety of threads), I can tell that you are a sensitive, caring person.

I am the same person (inside) that I was at 300+ lbs--but people 'see' me differently, and that's a problem with our society as a whole. We focus on externals.

You are involved in weight loss for your own health and well being, and any detours along the way that delay you are the same as those we encounter on any journey--just a part of the process.

Celebrate yourself and move on.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Saturday everyone! One more week left of this challenge! Still going strong here....hope you all are as well

Was a lazy day at home today....made some revolution rolls and some sf cherry knox blox...yum!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Only a few days left before Easter....how is everyone doing???
Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #143
Blabbermouth!!!

My hubby's car was with the mechanic today. I worked from home. It just seems like the expenses are a big drain right now. My OT ends tomorrow then we are back to a regular 8 hr day. It will be nice to have more time to myself perchance to exercise but I will miss the cold hard greenbacks that come with the OT. We were on mandatory OT for the kast 11 weeks.

I tried some new things this weekend in the kitchen. I made some cauliflower rice. I now need to figure out what to do with it. I also made some roasted brussel sprouts. Next time I will marinate them as they were a little dry. Also did some spaghetti squash and meatloaf. I am trying that tomorrow. Tonight I cooked a pan of drumsticks for DH. So we are well stocked for the week. Have any of you done the caulirice before. How did you prepare it?

Have a good one!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Seems like our thread is fading away even before the challenge is over...or maybe everyone is just busy! Happy Wednesday!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Mmmmm smells good in here....just took LC mini pumpkin cheesecakes out of the oven....can't wait to try one ......still going strong here...scale isn't moving atm as TOM is here...bummer!
What is everyone having for Easter? Ham, green beans, sf jello , LC pumpkin cheesecake for me....mashed potatoes, ham, baked beans and ice cream bars or LC pumpkin cheesecake for others
Old 03-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #146
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Michele, maybe everyone is going away for the Holidays. I am leaving in the morning for DD's. it has been awhile since we went down there. As for what we're having...don't know..DD is a vegetarian but might eat seafood. Since we are going to be at Cape Cod, on the ocean, we will probably buy some scallops or shrimp. We will all have beautiful salads and I still have some veggies to use up...broccoli, spaghetti squash, cauli-rice and brussel sprouts. But quantities will be the same as I eat every day.

As far as my goal goes, i think I set it for 157, but will probably end up at 158. I am happy with the last six week's results. It was 4 lbs lost which is about 3/4 lb a week. Since I don't have much more to go or if I will lose anymore, every lb lost is appreciated. On the doctor's scal with my clothes on, it was 160.3 after breakfast. So I was happy.

Today I visited the surgeon who will be doing my neck and face and decided to also get my eyelids done too. I have nothing to compare the clinic prices to but when I asked the scheduler how they compare, she said that walking in the front door instead of going to the clinic is 2 to 3 times more expensive. The young fellow who is doing the surgery will be with the neck and face specialist (board certified) in the operating room. My guy is the chief resident and will be on his own in June with his own license. The scheduler was telling me that he has been real busy with trauma cases, from car accidents and other types of birth defects. So this will be scheduled when my doc can arrange it with the other doc, probably in early May, but I was asking for April. He said he would try but I am not hopeful.

So my DH and I might both be on the mend from surgery at the same time or close to it. Hopefully, I can go first so I can take care of him when he is done with his. DD wants us to go to the Cape to recover.

Last edited by MaryMary; 03-29-2013 at 06:04 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 01:33 AM   #147
Senior LCF member

This Challenge has been a disaster for me, but I'm not depressed. I'll weigh tomorrow morning, but I'm not expecting good news. The NSAIDs I've been taking for my knees tend to cause me to retain water, and I can see it in my 'pudgy' fingers, so the scale number will probably be scary.

I also haven't been doing my usual workouts because of my knees--nor a lot of housework that usually keeps me active. For weeks, I had workers in my house adding a second bathroom and re-doing the guest bedroom. Then my sister came to prepare for (and recover from) her surgery. She's planning to go home on Monday, so I'll finally be alone and able to focus on myself.

When you're used to living alone, having other people around is disconcerting, so matter who it is. I love my sister, but we do best when we're in our separate homes

April will be my 'recovery' month, as I plan to focus on getting back into prime shape. I want to get my knees healed to avoid replacement surgery if I can.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:56 AM   #148
Blabbermouth!!!

Leo, what are NSAIDs? Non steroidal.... Are the anti imflammory neds?

Happy Easter and Happy Passover everyone!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #149
Senior LCF member

Yes, Mary, it's Non-Steriodal, Anti-Inflammatory--I'm not sure whether my body retains water from the Rx or from the actual inflammation (as I tend to retain water whenever I'm ill). But I know that if I have enough pain to need them, I'll retain water.

I used to take them regularly to control the pain of my arthritis, but I've managed for years now with diet (anti-inflammatory, especially no grains or sugar) and exercise. So except for flare ups (that come from overdoing things), I don't take any Rx at all for arthritis. And that's pretty good considering the fact that my knees are 'bone-on-bone.'
Old 03-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #150
Blabbermouth!!!

Ouch, Leo. Years ago I went for a physical and one of the tests was CRP to test the level of inflammation in my body. My result was 13. Normal was 1-2. So I asked what I could do to lower it without meds. She told me to use flaxseed meal. So I started having it every day, just a tbsp. The next time I was tested about a year later, it was between 1-2. I continue to have it once a day. It could be an old wives tale, but I don't want to take a chance.