Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 03:18 AM   #91
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Arborea!
It's so easy to get off track, but it's always possible to begin again. I'm glad you're back with us. Think of your health and effectively managing your weight as a gift you will give to yourself. Doctors say that losing just 10% of our body weight results in great physiological improvements, so that might be a short-term goal for you.

Mary- I have a long, long food/weight history--but it's one that I don't want to dwell on. My focus now is on maintaining my current loss. In the past two years (since I've been maintaining), I've learned that the 'past' is still present for me--i.e., I am as 'addicted' as I ever was, but my goal now is to remain in 'recovery' and deal with my food issues one day at a time. The present requires all my attention.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #92
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Flex ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Welcome back, Arborea, as Leo said earlier, we only have today and it definitely helps to stay in the now. The past for me comes in handy to remind myself that I will always be addictive to food. Just because what I do today is working for,e, doesn't mean tomorrow I can eat like a normal person. The past us a reminder of a place where I don't want to return to.

When I tell my story, it is only to let someone new know that I've been there and done that, that there is hooe for a different life. Leo, you're a great example to follow.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
The present requires all my attention.
That is awesome!!!! Love it, very quotable!

back Arborea! You need to do what works for YOU, since we are all such unique individuals-- there is no one-size fits all plan, and you can tell that to anyone who tries to get in your way!

I'm still experimenting and figureing out what works for me. I feel rather dialed-in the last couple of weeks, so my big test will be this coming week, when I travel for work (as I do, often, it seems). I really want to come back with a loss, or at least, no gain. I want this so badly.

My history with food and loss and whatnot? Wow-- a lot to go into. I had the "added bonus" of giving myself an eating disorder (I was actively bulemic for a short while in my early teens) -- I say *actively* b/c while I stopped the purging for the most part, the mental part of that game stayed with me for a LONG TIME.
I sought professional help, and though it took a while, I was successful.

There are different schools of thought on eating disorders, and each disorder is different-- bulemia is more about control over your life, than it is about the food or weight loss... it's also not a physical disorder like anorexia, which can start as a habit but can become an involuntary response of your nervous system (the reason it's called anorexia nervosa-- your body won't let you eat, at a certain point... )...

Anyway-- I belong with the folks who think that you never are "cured" of it, and like Leo says about weight loss, you must maintain constant vigilence.

I still get some of my old thought patterns popping up-- if I get TOO focussed on weight loss, and start thinking that will solve *all* my problems-- that is my trigger to say HEY, wrong direction. What's going on in my life outside of my weight, that is causing me to think this.
And then I work to apply the coping skills I learned in therapy to my other stressors... weight loss will not solve (hardly) anything in your life, other than things directly attributable to weight -- won't make you popular, won't pay your bills, won't fix your marriage or the idiot at work.
Being "skinny" doesn't make you "happy".

And for a long time, I bore 1 big scar from my short time as a bulemic-- I ruined my tonsils.
Better those than my teeth, I suppose... But I started to get Strep throat shortly after I started purging... then I got it 2x a year (even after I stopped purging).. then 3x and by university, 4x a year. Every time I got a cold, i got strep.
Finally, the time I got it for the 5th time that year--my Dr said I met the qualification and I could get my tonsils removed. I was 20 or 21.

Haven't had strep since but man oh man, I took that whole thing to heart, as the price I paid for thinking I could take a shortcut in weightloss.

Sorry for the book ^^^ .

Actually having a pretty good day. Planning my week for next week, and traveling on Sunday
ttyl!
s.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #94
Senior LCF member

Mary- I want you to know that I totally respect where you're coming from in terms of keeping your story present.

I think, however, that we use the 'normal person' idea to our disadvantage. Most people have some 'issue' in their lives to deal with. For example, I have two friends who have always been an optimum weight and have no 'food issues,' but both are in AA. They are dismayed by the fact that I can have ONE glass of wine and ignore the rest of the bottle. They would love to be able to drink like a 'normal person'--which is how they see me. Alcohol has never been an issue for me, but I am with food as they are with alcohol. We all have our 'issues.'

I am a food addicts, and that's just my reality. I know I will never have a 'normal' relationship with food, but I also know that this has been an advantage because in the process of learning to deal with food, I've learned how to eat for optimum health, avoiding all 'junk' from processed food and chemical additives. I probably eat 'better' than most of my peers because my focus is getting the best nutrition for the calories I allow myself.

Every negative in our lives can become a positive with the right outlook and approach.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Arborea
Stats: >350/325/199
WOE: <30 carbs
Start Date: January 2011
Thanks for the guys.
I got through day one and it wasn't even hard,seems like it has been the right timeto start over. I'm just starting Day 2. Today's challenge will be to make the right choices when it comes to snacking. Typical week-end + friends unaware of my plans, bringing carby snacks into our house=temptation I do have some alternatives prepared just in case they're needed.

MaryMary
- I have been put on and have tried different diets/woes since I was 5 years old. The whole idea of being obsessed with food, or even being a food addict has never really set foot in my head until I finished secondary school and started VET, and that caused me to focus on food even more. I guess the whole problem is that when you realize you need food to feel better or compensate, it kicks off more thoughts about food and nutrition, which is making you feel even worse than before, so you eat to feel better... I guess I've been there a thousand times (and I might get there a billion times more). And in addition to me being the couch potato that I am it lead to where it had to in the end.
All in all, I try not to think about this so much, but I just recently came to realize that like Soren, when I focus on weight loss too much it starts the spiral going downwards into old habits, because the pattern that I learned is "skinny=happy=problems solved". So I guess it's still a long way cope this.

Soren - Be sure I'll tell the doubters. I'm in a fighting mood right now, so they better stay out of my way.

Leo - I loved your thoughts about the 'normal person' idea. I'll try to keep it in mind when this idea comes up next time.
Arborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #96
Blabbermouth!!!

Arborea, i was a couch potato too. I couldn't get off the couch without help. I know what it feels like. Had I died when I was at my heaviest back then I would have thought it to be a gift because I wasn't living. I have some old pictures that I don't even recognize the person in them because it has been quite a few years now that I have been in the range I am in today. I don't focus on changing the amount of food I eat as much as making sure I vary it so I don't get bored. The taste and visuals of my meals are important to me because I even though I may not eat certain things, I do get to thank God three times a day for the 3 beautiful meals I do get to have. I weigh in now once a week as I learn to maintain but when I was heavier I weighed in once a month so as not to become a slave to the number. I can focus today on the question,, "What is the next right action?" Once the weather improves a bit, I plan to walk, maybe even today. It is cold but sunny. I am trying to fill my life with non-food related healthy activities. Perhaps, cleaning the house, doing the taxes or talking on the phone with a friend. So when the day comes, that I get the urge to eat something that I currently don't eat, I have an arsenal of other things I can do instead of it.

I was talking with a friend in AA this week who reminded me that if the "ism" behaviors are not changed, then putting down one substance may lead to picking up another. Alcoholics might start eating or overeaters might start spending compulsively and get into debt. The "ism's" are out there. Even relationships can be an "ism" if it is not a healthy one; my DD is proof of that. Learning to set some boundaries around what I eat, has given me courage to set boundaries around other things in my life. I am learning to say no thank you when I don't want something or don't want to be with someone.

I read somewhere that a survey of happy folks who lived to a ripe old age were asked "what makes you so happy?" Most of them replied that at the end of the day, they thank God for some things they are grateful for and in the morning they ask for his blessing. Being grateful for what I have, instead of what I don't have in something many learn as children. It is something I am working on.

Please forgive the rambling. Saturday morning I am in no rush to go anywhere. It is a time to relax and reflect. I can be grateful I have time like this. I am grateful for the group of you, for my family and friends, for a food plan that is liveable, for my health and for life.

Last edited by MaryMary; 03-09-2013 at 05:19 AM..
Old 03-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherlocklabs
Stats: 320+/305.2/130
WOE: Atkins, LCHF ~ Clean Eating Only
Start Date: Restart: 6/29/14
Hello everyone! I know it's been a while...I did post a lengthy note one day...and it disappeared...
I hope everyone is well. I'm still OP...have had a stall...but it looks like the scale is moving again...though I doubt that I'll meet my 15 pound challenge by Easter.
Even if I don't , I'll take whatever loss comes my way
Wishing everyone a wonderful LC day!
sherlocklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #98
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome back, Denise.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Hey there.

I survived the weekend without carby snacks and had some diced veggies, roasted seaweed, nuts and cheese cubes instead. I would have thought it harder to avoid them but, though I think it was noted that I snacked differently, but didn't have to explain.
It started to snow here on Saturday, and I enjoy the view drinking herbal tea, but I couldn't get out of the house just yet, due to housework. Maybe I'll have a little walk tomorrow.

Mary - Now that you mention it, I noticed I was better off when i started and didn't have scales but only measured myself. Maybe I'll go back to that and just weigh in once a month like you did. It's so great to be here and get some new input from people like you and Leo who have gone such a long way and accomplished so much already, bc I wouldn't have thought of so many things without you. Thank you!

Sherlocklabs - back and nice to meet you
Old 03-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

MaryMary: Thanks so much for the Welcome back...I do appreciate it!!

Arborea: Right back at'cha!! Sure nice meeting you too!!
Nice job staying away from the carby snacks!!

Crossing my fingers for tomorrow's weigh in....I've stayed OP...but I'm not "counting my chickens" beforehand....Not after the last stall that I had (UGH). Now that the scale is moving again...I'll be pleased with any loss!
My initial Easter Bunny challenge goal was to hit 265 by Easter. With the stall that I had...I will be absolutely tickled if I get out of the 270's.
I sure hope everyone has a wonderful LC day!!

If there ever is a tomorrow when we're not together,
There is something you must always remember:
You're BRAVER than you believe,
and STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think.
A.A. Milne (author of the Winnie the Pooh books)

Last edited by sherlocklabs; 03-11-2013 at 09:49 AM..
Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/322/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Hello .... Happy Tuesday. My weekend off was fabulous. We went to a concert "Heart" and they were amazing - they still have it after all of these years. Eating was okay. Lots of walking on Saturday, 9,741 steps. Drinking was not so good.

Very disappointed in the fact that there was no change on the scale when I weighed on Friday and kind of expecting it to be up this week.

Leo ~ I always appreciate your comments and honesty. Being in OA, I also learned that my relationship with food will never be "normal".

Soren and thanks for sharing.

Back Arborea & Denise

Mary ~ Thanks for rambling. I enjoy learning from you. How is your DD?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #102
Senior LCF member

Cindy- I think the toughest part of weight management is dealing with those 'scale disappointments'--i.e., the times when we've been very, very good, and the scale shows no loss. In those situations, I have to fight my inclination to mentally say, "WTH" and overeat that day.

If only the scale would always reflect our efforts. Try to hold onto the idea that it will eventually. If weight management were a simple matter, everyone would be at optimum weight. It's a lot of hard work, and a lot of that 'work' is psychological--e.g., reminding ourselves that the scale doesn't reflect our efforts immediately; telling ourselves that the bedtime snack is just a habit we can eliminate; ignoring the food cues around us that make it 'cool' to indulge.

We can do this--but it's not easy. So be kind to yourself.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Hello everyone!!!
Weighed in with a 2 pound loss this morning...so I was very pleased about that...now to keep up the momentum and pray that I don't get a monthly stall again....
Hope all s well...hope to chat more tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
Start Date: February 4, 2013
on plan and slowly moving along...even though the scale isn't

So glad to see everyone is hanging in there and determined to win this battle!
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #105
Blabbermouth!!!

Good going...Michele & Denise...

DD is settling in to singlehood...her ex got his own place...yeh! She is enjoying school. Just for today, life is good.

Last edited by MaryMary; 03-12-2013 at 07:03 PM..
Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: groovygiirl
Stats: 301/261.6/200
Start Date: Feb 13, 2013
Mary and Leo - you are such an inspiration. Reading your posts keeps me motivated.

Today I got off my butt and did about a 10 min. workout on the xbox. It was just yoga but considering I don't do much except run after my kids all day this was alot. Am going to try very hard to do it every day if possible. Maybe this will get the scale to move again
groovygiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:49 AM   #107
Blabbermouth!!!

Now that we are warming up here in New England, I have to get out and start walking again.

I hear some folks talk about getting the scale moving again. What I found more helpful than watching the nimber on the scale was focusing on eating the right stuff during the day. The number would drive me crazy. If I do what I can when I can with the food in my day to day interactions, the number will take care of itself. It is a byproduct of following your plan. So I take care of what I have control over and that is what I put into my mouth and how much of it, I don't have to worry. I never had a month where I didn't lose something. But when I got to a point where I was losing a pound or two in a month or two, then I knew it was time to reevaluate. That is when I went looking for a more structured low carb plan because I realized I was eating too much food all day long. Even though it was healthy food, there was too much of it. That really helped.

Today is my day to give blood to the American Red Cross. I want to put a pitch out there for them. If you can, please consider it. Lives depend on it.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #108
Senior LCF member

I want to second Mary's advice about dealing with the scale.

Throughout my weight loss, I weighed only weekly, but I treated that number as 'data' and posted it on my calendar. This enabled me to see 'trends' over time, and I realized that assessing progress should be monthly (rather than daily or weekly). That is, I saw that my 'pattern' was just about a pound a week, so if I continued losing 4 lbs a month, I was OK. I would not 'tweak' unless I didn't see that loss for 2 months.

What I focused on, like Mary, was eating on plan. I borrowed from AA and focused on one day at a time (although I always planned my food a week in advance to insure that I didn't eat impulsively because nothing was available).

I still do that in maintenance. It's 7 pm as I write this, and I'm finished eating for the day. I know exactly what I'll eat tomorrow--and Friday and Saturday.

My experience is that planning and consistency are keys to successful weight management.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #109
Blabbermouth!!!

Today was my evaluation with the Plastic Surgeon.

Today's appt went well. I was told I am a good candidate. I have no health issues and am happy with my current weight. If I lost no more weight, that would be fine with me. He asked me to list what bothered me the most in order. I told him my neck and lower face where the jowls are, then the breast/arms. Then thighs. We talked about the eyes but they won't do them at the same time as the face/neck lift. Because I contacted this team through the "clinic", it is used as part of the training program at Mass General in Boston, Mass. The same Board Certified surgeons oversee and attend the Chief Resident who will do the surgery, but I get a discount on the price of the surgery. The neck/face lift including the overnight at the hospital and anesthesia is around 6300. The breast lift & arm reduction will be about $6800 and the thigh lift about $5500. If you have two surgeries at the same time, the second procedure is half price. That is why the breast&arms is not to much more than the others. If I were to have my eyes done when they do the thighs, for example, it would be $2000 more. If done by itself, it would be $4000. I know that going through the main door to the plastic surgeon would be a lot more, so if you live near a big city, check to see if their teaching hospital that has a "clinic". You must call them first for the evaluation to be part of it.

The next step is to go back on Mar 29th for a 15 min appt with the surgeon to give him my official decision, then schedule the surgery. I think the surgery will happen in April. The drains come out within 1-2 weeks, the majority of the scars will be gone within 4-6 weeks. I figure I can get my roots done just before the surgery, then I ought to be good to go for 5 weeks. I will probaby miss 3-4 weeks of work and when I am ready to go back will work from home for the next 2 weeks. I will then need to wait awhile for the next one, probably Aug or Sept.

Even though it is elective, I figure having a baby is elective and is covered. The insurance does not pay for the surgery but my short term disability will cover my pay for 30 days. My daughter lives in Hyannis on Cape Cod so she is going to pick me up and I can recuperate at her house. The good ocean air should help with the healing. Hope the Power is with me through this whole exciting adventure. It is my 65th birthday gift to myself.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/322/200
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Happy Friday ~ Weight is up. I just have to look at food and gain 2 pounds and it takes weeks to lose those 2 pounds.

Body is sore again today. 1 mile walking tape before work and 12,245 steps at work, yesterday. Did the 1 mile walking tape this morning and it was very difficult.

Thank you very much Leo and Mary - your words of wisdom mean so much to me.

Denise

Michele ~ I agree by being here we are winning

Groovy ~ Way to go, yoga is so good for you.

Mary ~ Glad that things are going better for your DD. So exciting about your upcoming surgery.
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Hey guys

I've just had some pretty rough days due to really bad toothache. The tooth had been acting strange since Saturday, it was nothing major though, so I hoped I would be able to get this through without consulting a dentist because I get very nervous when it comes to see new doctors and especially dentists. The night before yesterday it started to hurt really bad, so that I asked my best friend to go with me so I would not chicken out and went anyway. I had imagined it worse, but the assitant was really nice and helped me a lot, though they had to give me a root canal filling.
I'm almost pain free now, and since I hadn't had much to eat yesterday I was really hungry so I had a low carb but higher calorie day today with some treats.

Mary and Leo - You two are really a blessing! Thanks again for the food for thought.

Sherlocklabs - WTG on your loss!

groovy - Yay for yoga!

Mary - That's a great birthday gift!
Old 03-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #112
Senior LCF member

Oh, Cindy, I know exactly how you feel because I am the same way. Any slight swerve from my strict WOE results in instant gain--and it takes forever to lose those pounds. I'm resigned to this as my reality, and I'm determined to deal with its challenges. I can attest to the fact that IT'S NOT EASY, so any progress you make in managing your weight is a reason for self-congratulation. Be kind to yourself.

Arborea- I'm glad your tooth problem was resolved. Tooth pain is among the worst experiences, and although I share your dislike of visiting the dentist, I dislike pain even more, so I go immediately when I have any pain.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Happy to see everyone still hanging in there! I finally lost my 3 lb TOM gain plus another pound...YES! One day and One pound at a time
Cindy...sorry about the gain...they are so frustrating!
Arborea...glad your tooth is feeling better
Mary: that is a wonderful birthday present to yourself! Hope it all goes smooth as silk
everyone else
Old 03-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #114
Blabbermouth!!!

Hello everyone,

I forgot to mention I have been saving for this "gift" since 2006 when I had the first one that the insurance covered. So I am not wealthy or anything, but figured when the time was right it would all fall into place

This thread is starting to get more active which is nice to get everyone's ideas, struggles, successes and opinions. Keep um coming!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #115
Blabbermouth!!!

A person in the Other Plans just started a new thread called Night Eating Syndrome or NES. I told them I would share the link with the Century Club in case you have this as part of other eating behaviors. I know many who have struggled with it.

Our Own Plan And Binging/Night Eating Syndrome

And here's the one from the Main Lobby she started - her id is Beeb but her name is Linda

Night Eating Syndrome Or NES!

Last edited by MaryMary; 03-15-2013 at 05:14 PM..
Old 03-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Wow...hard to believe there is only 2 weeks left before Easter. Today was a good day....went to SAMs for some low carb staples.....cleaned house ,....laundry almost done and made some pickled eggs...have to wait 8 to 10 days to enjoy those . Have a great evening everyone!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:48 AM   #117
Senior LCF member

Just two weeks left for me to redeem this Challenge!

I planned to get into the 'low end' of my range (141-43) and try to remain there, but I haven't even managed the first part. I've had trouble convincing myself that the 'butters' (coconut, peanut, almond) are horrible triggers for me. But my experiences of the last few weeks in showing NO control with those substances should have finally convinced me that I cannot have them in the house--period.

I don't plan to weigh until Easter because I seem to have sprained/wrenched my left knee (both knees are very bad, but I'm trying to avoid replacement), and am taking a NSAID temporarily to help heal. Those always cause me to retain water, so I just don't want to see a higher scale number right now--water or not.

I plan to continue the meds this week, and after a week off them, I'll feel more comfortable weighing on Easter. Fingers crossed that I'll at least achieve that low range weight by Easter. Then I can focus on remaining there in our next Challenge.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Hello everyone!
Everybody is doing such a great job!
2 weeks until Easter! Wow, where does the time go?
I'm home bound with a rotten cold this weekend...but will hopefully be better enough to go to work tomorrow!
Hoping everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sharkini
Stats: 289/273/199 for now
WOE: JUDDD - lots of veggies
Start Date: 10/4/13
Hi, is it too late to hop in? Two weeks till Easter but I have a 2 week goal: five pounds less. Thanks for letting me take part.
sharkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #120
Senior LCF member

In dealing with weight management, it's "never too late."

Good luck with your goal. Even if you don't make that number, any pounds down is a success. Actually, for most of us, not gaining can be considered 'success.'