LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 4, 2013
Yay on the lost pound Cindy!!! Keep up the good work
Soren....sorry about your husband losing his job....Happy the scale moved and you didn't let it derail you! Good job!
Denise: you have great willpower staying off that scale!

everyone

Last edited by thecloude1; 03-01-2013 at 03:36 PM..
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Hi everyone, Congrats! Great jobs! Staying focused on today and what we can control today. All we have is the now.

The ongoing saga of my DD...she lied to me. I found out this morning that she didn't quit school. She contacted all her teachers to see if they would let her back into their classes after missing 4 days. They all said yes but she had to make up the work. We'll see. If she goes, that's great, but I am planning on staying out of this. I am emotionally detached right now because I am still in shock that she lied. It makes me wonder about how many other things she has lied to me about. I feel sad and disappointed. What I feel good about is that I am feeling my feelings and not numbing the pain by overeating.

I am looking forward to cooking up some of my favorite veggie dishes this weekend. Kale sauteed with baby portabellos and onion. Hubby and I are taking a day trip tomorrow. He made me the prettiest necklace for my birthday. I am attaching a pic. It has some green and amber crystals and apatite beads on the sides. Love it. And as another thoughtful gesture, he cut up a big bag of turnip fries for me to bake this weekend. He's a keeper!

Have a great weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (15.8 KB, 7 views)

MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/322/200
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Made it through the day. Had some "head hungry" moments today and I'm not sure why?

Thanks Leo ~ We only have one cat left, who is really old and she is the Queen of the Castle. My DH and I have said that when it is her time, we aren't getting another one.

Soren and so sorry to hear about DH.

Denise ~ Way to go!! I have to say weighing only once a week is working perfectly for me I hated being a slave to the scale.

Thanks Michele ~ How are you doing?

Mary ~ those turnip fries sound
Old 03-02-2013, 04:22 AM   #64
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Mary- That necklace looks lovely! Thanks for sharing the picture.

Soren- Sorry about your DH, and I hope he finds another job soon. This economy is just dreadful.

Cindy- I told myself repeatedly that I would not have another cat, but when I lost mine after 18 years together, I was at the shelter 2 months later and adopted this one. I need to have my head examined!

Hope everyone has a great, on-plan weekend.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
guys!

Mary, your DH is a keeper! What a lovely necklace I make some bead jewelery too, it's a great (but sometimes expensive ) hobby. But you always get stuff that works for you perfectly!

I love what you said about "feeling your feelings" and I totally agree

That was the root of my emotional eating-- numbing. Can't be too low, can't be too high either, eating to stay in the middle.

Via a lot of therapy, and the advent of finding my current WOE, I've found I'm really overcoming that particular battle. I'm not 100% perfect, but who is?

My main mantra that I learned on this, is: I am bigger than my emotions. (They will not overcome me.)

I can be sad, or frustrated, or angry, or bored, or elated-- and I will not just die from it. I will not be overwhelmed.
It's been liberating!

I lost a bit, even with all this going on and a girls night on Friday

ONward and DOWNward!
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone,
Soren, I'll pray that your DH finds a job soon.
Leo41, how long have you had your new cat?
Michele, Denise and Cindy - Have a great week!

Today, I broke the 160 mark coming in at 159.6 lbs WooHoo!

Yesterday, I picked up my car from my daughter and gave her back the VW. Last we heard she was working it out with the fellow and wanted to stay there. On the way down, she called to tell us that he was moving out. My husband took the call as I was driving. She told him she had nips on Friday night and he acted like that was the breaking point. She said she wanted him to move out all along but didn't know how to get him to go. So she acted like she wanted him to stay. After he jerked her around a bit, he finally took everything of his and left. We arrived, he was gone. After we left a couple hours later, he came back and asked if he could come in and she said No. He didn't believe her so after a few more No's, she spit on him. That is a sign of disrespect in his culture and he told her she would regret it. Then he left. He called 3 more times and had him boss call but she stopped picking up the phone and turned it off. We talked on Skype for free. Then he came back again and offered her $50 if he could spend the night. She said No. She was scared. She said she went out with her flashlight and shined it in his face while he sat in the car and told him to get out of 'her' driveway. And he left. She covered her windows so if he came back he couldn't see in.

She is going to go speak to a lady counselor at the college for students who are overwhelmed tomorrow. She is definitely going to drop one course because she said it was too much. She is really creative and loves to write. She loves English Composition. They have support meetings and AA mtgs at the college that she is going to go to. I told her I was really proud of her and that we loved her no matter what decision she makes.

I was able to remind her what I was like in 2011 when I eating the junk for about a 7 week binge. She said I was a different person. I told her she was a different person when she was drinking and taking prescription meds. She threw out the meds and I pray for her. She could have died a week ago from mixing the two. She wants to do this on her own. She is going to get a job. Luckily right now her tax return came in the mail so she can pay the rent. Her recent life is a reminder of what the whole addiction cycle is like. She was addicted to him even though she knew he was no good for her or her him. I am addicted to certain foods and used to eat it even though I knew it was no good for me. I pray every day that she stays strong.

I did not eat over this. Instead I cleaned my dining room and threw out a lot of stuff. She cleaned her apartment, washing away his scents and throwing out anything he left behind.

I am grateful you folks are out there. In some ways you are real and in some ways you represent the Energy in the Universe that gives me the strength each day to stay the course. Thank you all.

Last edited by MaryMary; 03-03-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Old 03-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #67
Senior LCF member

Mary- I know you're proud of how your daughter is managing this crisis in her life--as you should be--but I also know how great it is to move into a lower 'decade'--congratulations on the 150s!

My current cat will be with me 5 years on June 6th. It seems like just yesterday, but that's what happens when you get old--time just seems to go by so very, very fast. He's the perfect cat for retirement because he's so very attached. He hates to have me leave the house, so he would have been miserable if I'd got him when I was working.

My first cat was ideal for a working person because she was very independent. As soon as she saw me getting ready for work in the morning, she'd go off for her morning nap.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #68
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, Leo41

This fellow called us this afternoon as his last ditch effort to get back into her apartment. He wanted to tell us that she had been drinking Friday night. My husband answered it, told him we know, then my DH proceeded to tell him to stop calling her, to get his car out of her driveway, to stop following her as we don't want to involve the police but we will if we have to. DH asked him if he understood and he said he did. That was that. DD wanted to go to her yoga class this afternoon. We will know later if she was able to. Hopefully that is the end of it, I pray.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Monday everyone ! All is good on my end...still on plan and moving right along
Old 03-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Weekend was good except too short. Really getting excited about having 4 days off next weekend. Having another hungry day and I forgot to bring any snacks

Leo ~ I wonder if we will last 2 months. I have almost always had a cat.

Soren on Girls night and weight gone !!

Mary ~ that is an awesome number and that everything works out with DD.

Happy Monday Michele
cindym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #71
Senior LCF member

Cindy- I really hate those 'hungry days.' You should try to find some snacks that you can keep in your office because I always forgot to bring things from home when I was working. I'd even have them ready--and then forget them.

I live alone, and when I lost my last cat, the house seemed so incredibly 'empty.' Despite the fact that living with a cat is 'limiting' (e.g., I hate to travel--although I love it--because it means leaving him), I don't think I want to be without one.

I'm doing well after my 'carb reset,' back into my ideal weight range, but I don't know whether the carbs help at all because I've been very focused on seeing the scale go down. I never want to gain now that I'm finally in a 'good place' with my weight and have become fairly obsessive about maintenance. After a big loss, I suspect that being obsessive is a necessity to avoid regaining because my body clearly would love to refill those empty fat cells.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good job Leo on working hard and getting back into your comfort zone. Stupid fat cells why can't they empty AND go away??

Cindy-- I agree with Leo. Off the top of my head-- beef jerkey, and almonds/walnuts/pecans/macadamia nuts (all the highest fat, lowest carb nuts)... you could roast them at home, or buy them, and keep in the office WITH a measured scoop (1/4 cup or 1/3 cup, whatever the package says is the serving size). We did this with DH and it was really helpful.
Also, pre-packaged LC protein shakes. If you have a fridge at work, you can put a sticky note on them with your name (I do this when I go to my US office) and then you have a couple cold ones to tide you over.

Me-- doing well. Went a bit over on calories the other day, but had a great on plan day yesterday with a LOT of lemon water, and am showing a small loss today. Whatever-- I'll take it!

I have a plan in place for my work trip to CA that starts on Sunday... I'm going to try really hard not to eat the whole way down, that's my main challenge-- the actual travel day.
I'm strong and I know I can figure this out!

S.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #73
Senior LCF member

Soren-
When I used to travel for work, I mentally considered it 'vacation' time (someone else paying for a plane trip and hotel is my idea of vacation:-), so I tended to want to eat to 'enjoy' myself as much as possible.

These days, even when I'm vacationing, I realize that 1) unless I eat carefully and on plan, I will feel physically rotten; 2) most of the food I 'encounter' when traveling isn't worth the calories. So, as we just advised Cindy, I bring my own snack for the plane (usually some nuts), and I've never had any problem low-carbing at hotels, etc. In fact, I often make the travel day a DD because it's so easy to skip meals when I'm spending time in airports and on planes.

I try to 'reward' myself with a good book (or 2) for the trip or a visit to the hotel spa--rather than with food.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: groovygiirl
Stats: 301/261.6/200
Start Date: Feb 13, 2013
Hi everyone, I've finally been rewarded with another pound lost! yay! Very hopeful that this continues and I lose a few this week. 8 more pounds to make it to my goal for Easter *is hopeful*.

Am I the only one that is dreading Easter!?!? I barely survived Valentine's Day but I'm not sure how I will survive all the candy and chocolate that the Easter Bunny is going to bring. I have little kids and yes there will be lots and lots of candy/chocolate I won't deprive them of that. I just have to be strong. ugh.
groovygiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherlocklabs
Stats: 320+/288/130
WOE: Atkins, LCHF ~ Clean Eating Only
Start Date: Restart: 6/29/14
Hello All!! (I'm checking in from work...so I'm going to keep this short)
Congrats to all who had a loss! Yay You!!
I'm not losing on the scale....but I'm losing in inches ~~ so I'll take it.
I'm sticking to plan....we'll see what happens. Not sure if I will reach my challenge at this rate....but I'm sure going to keep trying!
I sure hope everyone is having a great week so far!
sherlocklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WTG Denise! Losing inches is AWESOME!!!

Leo-- my only challenge with bringing my own food is that since I cross from Canada to the US (on the Canadian side... we pre-clear customs here), I can't bring any food! I could declare it, but then they search me like mental and make me feel bad, even if I am upholding my side and doing the declaration.

So I don't bring ANYthing... not my beloved teas, not snacks... anything I get, I get on the *other* side of the customs/security checkpoint. So, my choices are limited.

BUT-- not totally bad, just a bit boring... hmm maybe that's a good thing!

I have access to the Air Canada lounge, there's usually veggies out (for dipping) regardless of the time of day. I'll bring some zip bags, and snag some. Stay away from the high cal/high carb snacks and alcohol, and grab a refil for my water bottle, and a sf soda.

I *can* travel on a low calorie day!!! and I WILL!!!

When I get there, I usually go grocery shopping, since my hotel room has a kitchen.

And I agree- I also focus on non-food enjoyments... but with DH laid off right now, I'll have to re-think my shopping habits too, and stick with my books, maybe a at-home-facial...

S.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: groovygiirl
Stats: 301/261.6/200
Start Date: Feb 13, 2013
Soren - I don't think that's true about the food. I always bring a bag of snacks for my family when we fly from Canada to the US. The only thing you can't bring on the plane is bottles of water I believe.
groovygiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #78
Senior LCF member

Groovygirl- The only way I deal with candy (Easter, Valentine, whenever) is total abstinence. I'm truly like an alcoholic with candy--one bite, and it's all over. I know that, and when that little voice tells me to just have a 'taste' or 'just a little bite,' I know better. One bite, and I'm sure to eat the whole thing.

What's odd, however, is that knowing I'm not going to touch the stuff, it really doesn't bother me. I've already mentally fenced it off. It's all a mind game, but if you can get into that place, it helps.

Sherlock- Sometimes when we're losing, those empty fat cells get filled with water (temporarily), so the loss doesn't show on the scale right away. It will soon!

Soren- I didn't know they were so strict with food on your side. The only problem with U.S. security is liquids. They never bother about food in my carry on--which is usually just some nuts. In fact, since the airlines so rarely feed us, some people carry on complete meals!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's my security clearance-- I *can* declare that I have food with me, but they will want to see it. Last time I said I had food, I had xmas cookies for my team in CA, and I got a real a-hole at secondary screening, who also found penuts in my bag and about lost his mind!

If I say I don't have any, and I do have something and they find out, they'll take away my NEXUS clearance for lying

I find it easier not to have anything, and just deal with the food options after security.

I think it's easier for the regular security line/non-Nexus people... but on the plus side, I don't have to stand in lines
Old 03-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Glad to see everyone is still going strong and losing lbs and inches! Having a hungry day today....I hate those....havent eaten off plan ...just eating too much LC food...UGH!

Have a wonderful evening everyone!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow, eveybody is doing great!

What is Nexus?

On Easter, I am with Leo41, I abstain from the candy too, even the s/f candy. I look at it by thinking it's not my candy, it belongs to the kids. It is not mine to take. I usually have the same quantities in my regular food just as other days.

DD is doing better. She was taking a nap yesterday afternoon and forgot to lock her door. He snuck in and she woke up to see him looking for something. She saw him take an album from a bench, he called her a loser, then snuck off the the hole he crawled out of. We think that is the last of him. She is getting some of exams back in the 3 classes she kept and is getting A's in spite of missing classes. She has a very good memory. Yesterday, since she wasn't drinking, she overate, in a big way. She asked me for help trying to understand why. I tried to explain when you put down a substance without treating the disease of addiction, you will pick up another substance. The relationship to the fellow was addictive, alcohol and then food - differnent substances, same disease. So she started to read about addiction on the internet, went to an AA meeting and is calling into a phone meeting tonight. She is trying. Today, she had a good day and followed her plan with the food. She felt better in today. Keep the prayers coming.

I made some haddock for lunch today and sauteed some kale, baby portobellas and onions. It went great together. Yumm!

Last edited by MaryMary; 03-05-2013 at 07:18 PM..
Old 03-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Today was a good day. 6,546 steps (my body is sore) and on plan.

Leo ~ My problem is forgetting the snacks but today I did good and in fact, didn't need all the snacks and they are sitting in the fridge at work. We do have one girl, however, that eats anything in the fridge - even if it is labelled Way to go betting back to your ideal weight range so quickly.

Soren ~ Some of the airport security people are over the top. How long is your CA trip ?

Groovy on the pound gone. At Christmas, I allowed myself some s/f chocolate but not on Valentines. I haven't decided about Easter yet.

Denise on inches gone. Hopefully the weight catches up soon.

Michele ~ I had one of those yesterday. Hope your evening is better.

Mary ~ Glad that DD is doing better.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Just checking in.....still moving along even though the scale isn't at the moment. Hit SAMs and Walmart today....restocked on some LC staples....Also found some salt and pepper pork rinds...they are yummy
Easter is a scarey time with all the tempting candies and goodies...I feel that if the sugar free stuff will keep me away from the bad stuff then it's all good...just as long as I don't overdo it!

Have a good evening everyone
Old 03-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #84
Blabbermouth!!!

Hello all, busy day at work..i felt like chewing gum for the first time since I stopped the gum on Nov 14th? And survived. It is too hard to quit again so I won't be having it today.

Food is good. I love the 3 meals I get. Being that I am addicted to food, I could eat all day long, if I didn't measure out my meals.

Wishing you all a great day!
Old 03-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #85
Senior LCF member

You're not the only one Mary! I would be gaining weight daily if I didn't count calories (my version of 'measuring out' my food). My body doesn't seem to have an 'off' switch where eating is concerned, and I've rarly met a food that I haven't loved.

But dealing with the challenges of managing my weight is worth it. I never want to return to obesity!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Hello ~ it is supposed to be spring and it was snowing yesterday and raising today (with fresh snow visible on the mountains from my kitchen window).

Michele ~ Salt & Pepper pork rinds sound - there used to be a bbq one that was also good. Where I live, I am lucky to even find them.

Mary & Leo ~ I attended OA for years and the group broke apart but I really miss it. For me, food is like alcohol - I can't even have "one" bite.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #87
Senior LCF member

Yes, Cindy, my behavior with food is much like an alcoholic with liquor. Sadly, we can't totally abstain from food, and I know that 'managing' my food intake will be a lifelong challenge.

I have found that limiting my 'food involvement' helps--no reading recipes or watching food shows, and I cook as simply as possible, limiting my time in the kitchen.

Fortunately, since I live alone, I can limit what's in the house because any candy in a cupboard or ice cream in the freezer would 'call my name' until I finished it off.

It's sad to be this way, but I've resigned myself to the fact that this will not change, and all I can do is 'work' with what is my reality. I'm in 'recovery,' but there's no cure.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi folks!

I agree-- I'm getting better and healing my relationship with food, but I don't keep super-ultra temptations in the house. They get eaten, all at once, on 1 day, usually.... case in point, cinnamon rolls I made on Sunday. There were 16, and between me and DH, they were GONE

I accounted for the calories (my plan tracks calories primarily), but it just went to prove our point (me and DH's) that we can't keep certain things in the house...others, like 90% chocolate, is fine. go know.

In other news, I'm loving lemon water. Not sure why it's totally working for me right now, but this is my 2nd week, and check out my new sig <------ So that, and working my plan, is working

Can't believe Easter is around the corner!
S.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #89
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone, just curious if anyone has ever written on their history with food, the many attempts at dieting, useing diet pills, doctors, etc to lose weight. How many pounds have you gained and lost in a lifetime. How much money have you spent on all this? Including the junk food. It can almost seem hopeless at times. What worked and what didn't? How are things different this time?
Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Arborea
Stats: >350/325/199
WOE: <30 carbs
Start Date: January 2011
Hi everyone,

I've been gone for a while, and I hope you don't mind if I come back now.
It's been a busy and stressful time for me since I got the new job at a daycare center for pre-school kids and I just couldn't get myself into posting (though I sneak-peaked in every once in a while to see how you guys were doing) or staying on the low carb path. I was so overrun with how quickly it all happened...
All in all this has done much good on the monetary and selfworth side but has been abysmal for my health.
I gained back what I lost, I haven't slept well and worst of all I have had a cold that won't go away since November plus returned joint pains that I had almost forgotten about...
I'm done with feeling bad and I will rather explain and fight for my way of eating than feeling ill all the time.
Now I'm having a week off, so I have time to at least start building new habits and do some ahead planning.
So to keep this short, this is me, recommitting myself to low carbing and posting to keep me on track.
Arborea is offline   Reply With Quote