Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Century Club
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #31
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I did a 'carb refeed' over the weekend, something I do every 2-3 months because I keep my carbs so low at other times. However, I made the mistake of checking my weight this morning, and the scale number scared me!

I know it's the water that comes with the restored glycogen, and I should have known better than to weigh until I was back low-carbing for a few days, but this has certainly motivated me to stay with my WOE. I may never carb up again:-)
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 4, 2013
Still going strong....even though the scale is not moving...up or down...this is my 3rd week of Paleo in the beginning and Atkins for the past week or so..only 4lbs lost .....Im doing something wrong...just havent figured it out...perhaps too much salt in the form of pepperoni and pork rinds.
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/322/200
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Happy Monday ~ was snowing this morning but the sun is shinning now. DH has switched swifts meaning tht I will be doing my exercise tape at night instead of the morning while he is sleeping.

Also planning on 5,000 steps per day at work but wow, I've been spending considerably more time at my desk today - I'm only at 2,600 - meaning I will be doing laps before I leave for the day.

Chris - you will be back in Onderland soon.

Soren ~ Good luck with the lemon water.

Michele ~ Lots of people have problems with pepperoni. Have you checked to make sure that there isn't any sugar? My fave one had sugar

Mary ~ that is awesome. I can't go to the animal shelter. I always want to bring something home.

Leo ~ Sorry that the number on the scale scared you. I've always heard that when the water leaves, it takes a few extra pounds with it?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Wtg Cindy for getting your walking in!

Michele, I found I had to track calories along with carbs, so it could be salty foods causing you to retain water, and maybe too much food overall? Do you log your food anywhere, online or in a mobile app? I find it very helpful.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I logged my food regularly until I knew what a typical day would amount to. Today I have yogurt once a day and eggw/ bacon every other day. A protein smoothie every other day. Meat at lunch every day, the type varies. But the constants are a fruit with breakfast protein and salad& cooked veggie with lunch and dinner. A tbsp dressing at lunch and 3 tbsp at supper. It works out to be Round 1200-1400 day depending on the protein choices.

I never counted calories until I realized I was eating around 1700 a year ago which explained why I wasn't losing. So now I eat the same quantities of food but different types, bring it down to 1300, started the needle moving again. Anyway, last Jan 2012, I was 198 lbs and now am 160.2 lbs. It was just 3 lbs a month which would get most people down. But that's 36 lbs a year. Since I am not in a race, I figured it didn't matter how fast or slow it was. I stay away from junk food, sugar and grains, like they were poison because I saw what they do to me.

When I started Atkins in 2001, the girl at work that was teaching me how to do it, said I couldn't eat salad, and I told her I had to eat salad to keep my sanity. I like the color in food and wanted to celebrate the healthy colors. So I very rarely was in Ketosis. I bought the strips and gave up on it, because I had my salads and steaks, omelettes w/ cheese and all the good things in a low carb plan, until the quantities had to be cut. I was probably eating well over 2000 cal a day when I was losing at my heaviest. But I reached the break even point where I didn't need that much to eat anymore. I don't feel deprived on the low carb plan I follow because I love my meals. When my head tells me I need a little more, I know it is a lie, because a couple years ago when I listened and ate a little more, I paid for it. I was uncomfortable and didn't want to eat anything that was healthy, only the junk. I never want to go back there again.

Tis is a rMbling for me tonight. It was a rough day emotionally for my daughter and for me as a result. I know I have to let her make her own choices and that's all part of growing up. It just breaks my heart when the ex just sjows up and starts the name calling again. She called tonight in tears again. She said to him, "what did she do wrong that made him treat her the way he did." He told her, "she was born." It brought tears to my eyes. She asked him to leave, give her the key to the place and get his stuff out. I hooe he stays gone but if history is a predictor, he will be back. Pray she stays safe. She said she knows the landlord doesn't want a domestic disturbance and she fears that the ex will cause one. She promised to call the police if necessary. It would almost be easier had they been married because she could see a lawyer. I don't really mean that. of course, it wouldn't be easier and I am happy they never were.

Any advice from the wisdom on this thread?

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Soren.....I do track my carbs on the Atkins mobile App but have not paid any attention to the calories.....I don't like counting calories....lol.....I will give a few other things arty before I do that....today I actually drank 64 oz of water ...maybe that will help some
Cindy....I just looked for carbs on the pepperoni package...never thought there would be sugar in them

Thanks everyone for your support.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mary, no advice...your daughter has to stand up to this bully, before it escalates to physical danger for her.
Is there a friend or trusted person she can have with her when she plans to have him collect his stuff?
Also, can she ask the landlord to change the locks? If she or you pay for it, if the landlord won't ?
If he keeps it up, she'll need a restraining order.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #38
Senior LCF member

Mary-
A bully like that can get violent at any time, so please advise your daughter to be pro-active about separating herself from him. This is a really awful situation because I've read that restraining orders are practically useless because the offender tends to ignore them.

It's difficult to know how to advise without knowing the people involved. I really hope this works out well because I hear about awful domestic situations on the news every day.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree Leo-- the restraining order might not actually restrain the offender, BUT, it sets up a legal precedent with the police, which might be needed later on. You don't want "the law" saying to you, why didn't you get a TRO, ya know? Follow the steps, work the system, cross your Ts and dot your Is, and you'll make sure to have all the legal team on your side, if it gets to that point.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #40
Senior LCF member

Oh, Soren. I wasn't trying to contradict you about the restraining order. I just wanted Mary to be aware that it may not deter an aggressive individual, and that other precautions should to be taken.

I hear such awful stories related to domestic violence on the local news almost every evening, and it's just dreadful for any woman who finds herself in such a situation. Sadly, many of them aren't pro-active in protecting themselves because they don't perceive the real danger.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Agreed!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mary-- just came across this timely post in a blog where authors write letters to their teen selves... perhaps you could forward this to your daughter?
Dear Teen Me from author Lea Nolan (CONJURE) « Dear Teen Me
Old 02-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

What an article! I appreciate all the info. I need to work on not getting so involved in my DD's life. She was begging us to come down last night. This morning she tells me she is packing up, quitting college and coming back home. She said she wanted to go and visit her brother in Missouri. Then....around 10:30 she calls to say she decided to stay down there. She is getting a job and quitting college. It is sad. She is so bright but not emotionally capable of handling the pressure of college when this fellow she cared about didn't want her there. She said she was going for me. I told her we want her to be happy. She said she wants to be responsible. I couldn't convince her to just finish up the semester just for the fun of it.

So she is staying there. He is staying there. We have to bow out. This is driving us crazy. I discussed the whole police reporting thing with her last night. She was going to do it last night, but didn't. I had to say the Serenity Prayer over and over today. I can only take care of myself and my husband. After all is said and done, if I turn to food to solve my problems, I would gain lots of pounds and the problems would still be there in the same condition.

When she was younger and involved in alcohol, I went to AlAnon. I said I need help fixing this and it felt like the same thing. Lots of drama, all about her and him. They said to me you can only change yourself and no one else. This morning when she told me she was staying, I said I hope you don't live to regret this decision. I asked her if she thought whether he was going to change. She said he would try. She is delusional but I can't do anymore. I give up and give it all to God. It is in his hand now to watch and guide her and help her grow up.

Today was my birthday and my hubby made me a beautiful necklace with a green crystal heart and amber colored crystals. I went shopping this morning and bought some white turnip. I was working from home today. He gets home around 4:30 pm so when I took my break, he was peeling and cutting up the turnip into the shape of french fries which I will bake in the oven with garlic and paprika. They will look a lot like french fries when I am done with them. That was his 2nd present, just the kindness of peeling and cutting them for me. I am blessed. My cousin called from Panana where he has a farm with his live in girlfriend. He is over 80 and has always traveled. I haven't spoken to him in years but we exchange greetings at the holidays. My brother called at 8 am and my son at 5:30 pm. DD called near the end of the day to wish me a happy bday. The day ended up a lot better than it started. I am going to get a good night sleep tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.8 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by MaryMary; 02-26-2013 at 05:56 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Another good day. Eating on plan, 6,901 steps + my walking tape.

I just realized that today would have been my 12th Anniversary of joining Atkins .... had I stayed on the plan and tomorrow will be my 1 Year Anniversary of getting back on plan. Feeling grateful that I weigh less this year than last.

Mary ~ that everything works out with your DD.

Michele ~ Sadly, there is sugar and bread fillers in so many things.

Soren & Leo ~ How are you both?
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Excellent work, Cindy!

Alls well here. Good low cal day for me, felt good all day.
The weather is really ugly right now, and dh has to drive all over tomorrow for work...not happy with that.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 AM   #46
Senior LCF member

Mary- Belated Your husband's thoughtfulness was so touching when I read your post. You're a lucky woman! And I think that lesson you learned from Al-Anon, that we can only change ourselves, is a key one that we all need to be reminded of from time to time. You're also right to observe that whatever the problem, eating to excess will only make it worse.

Cindy- I'm doing OK--the scale is going back down after my 'carb reset,' and I hope to be in a good place on the scale by the end of the week. I've had no difficulty getting back to my low-carb WOE because I actually prefer it. You are so right that weighing less this year than you did last year is something to be proud of. Just keep on going--that's all any of us can do.

My only problem is sleep deprivation these days! I'm having work done in my house, and with the guys here all day, I can't 'nap,' but my lovely cat still wakes me by 3 am each day. The work should be completed by the end of this week, and that will be a relief. Like my cat, I don't like my personal schedule disrupted.

Soren-Glad all is going well with you.

Last edited by Leo41; 02-27-2013 at 01:33 AM..
Old 02-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Mary... hoping things calm down for you and your dd...what a swell hubby you have!

Cindy....WTG on the walking and staying on plan!

Soren... Happy you are doing well with your low cals....hope the weather warms up for you.....being from North Dakota...winter sucks!

Leo: have a great day

As for me...the scale finally moved! I have been drinking 64 oz of water each day for the past few days and that seems to be the key

Thanks for all the help and encouragement everyone!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: groovygiirl
Stats: 301/261.6/200
Start Date: Feb 13, 2013
Just checking in. Last 4-5 days I have been having trouble staying on induction like I was hoping. I realized that I was probably not eating enough so then I ate more but gained a pound Today I'm going to stay on plan, eat a little more and try to drink way more water. Let's hope I have a loss tomorrow, I could really use it right now.
groovygiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chris 232
Stats: 242.8/230.6/133 5'6" age 64
Start Date: 2/2006, restart 2/2012 & 7/2014
MaryMary--I think every daughter and woman should take a simple self-defense class. It gives you simple moves to prepare yourself when in a physical confrontation. Might even help a timid child stand up to the bullies at school-or stepsiblings.
But having the know-how to do something might just give that person the confidence to evade a physical altercation. So while I do not condone violense--I do think your daughter should hae the knowledge to protect herself--and not let the the bullies make the choices for your daughter's life's path.

That is why I like this site--so many positive responses to keep us going.
Chris 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherlocklabs
Stats: 320+/289/130
WOE: Atkins, LCHF ~ Clean Eating Only
Start Date: Restart: 6/29/14
Hello everyone!!
I'm now on extended induction...all is going well (finally getting in the groove)...no more Atkins Flu...I'm clear headed...more energy...and ready to go!
I hope everyone is doing well.
I'm crossing my fingers that I can reach 265 by Easter.....so far so good. This middle aged body doesn't like to drop the weight too quickly! LOL
sherlocklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Denise! don't you love it when the fog clears and you get that burst of energy?

Chris-- I always wanted to take a self defense class too... I can throw a good punch, but would like to learn the other techniques. Scary, but necessary. I will think about this some more as a goal for this year.

Groovy-- how you doing?

WTG Michele! Love seeing the scale move, though of course, that's not the only indicator of things changing. Do you keeps some jeans or something around to try on?
I've been to Fargo a couple of times (on my way to White Earth in MN... let's not talk about it ) and I thought it was a really great town!

Cindy! Happy 1yr Atkinsversary and CONGRATULATIONS on doing so well this year! WOO HOO!

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
Old 02-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chris 232
Stats: 242.8/230.6/133 5'6" age 64
Start Date: 2/2006, restart 2/2012 & 7/2014
I took the women's 4 weeks class, at age 62 with 5 other gals in their 20's. They could do things I could not, but lots of stuff is not muscle or agility dependant. Like stepping on someone's arch, finger into an eye, an elbow in their ribs, or face. Simple things that even I could do to protect myself. Look at the local karate school. Then have a refresher class in about a year to reinforce your moves, and your memory.
Chris 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you everyone for your support. I will also look into the local karate class about this class. I am trying to refocus my life on me and stop thinking about DD. I feel like I wasn't helping her. She needed professional help but has a phobia about counseling as if getting help says she's crazy. She will figure it out.

In some ways I am looking forward to the upcoming months of sunshine, walking and learning to maintain in a 5 lb window. I am visiting DC in June for my son's graduation. We are making reservations this weekend. I will get to see my 4 grandsons. The youngest,Walker, I have never met.

I applaud Leo41 for doing so well in staying within 4 lbs of her desired weight. I want to say that age only makes the loss take longer but it will happen if you stay the course on plan. I was 52 yrs old in 2001. Tuesday I turned 65. All the weight I lost was after menopause. The period in 2011 when I went on a food binge, I gained because my body reminded me that I am really allergic to sugars and grains. I swell up, retain fluid everywhere, especially my brain and it affects my emotions and ability to cope. But once you know what works, hang on to it. It is a gift from the Universe.

Last edited by MaryMary; 02-28-2013 at 06:09 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Thursday ~ All is good. 5,263 steps + 1 mile walking tape and ate on plan. Feeling good. Wonder what the scale will bring tomorrow.

Thanks Soren ~ I just keep repeating, slow and steady wins the race.

Leo ~ So sorry that you are having problems sleeping. Nothing worse than being tired.

Michele ~ Always nice when the scale rewards the hard work.

Groovy ~ It is always difficult to find the perfect plan.

Chris ~ Great idea. Everyone should take a self-defense course, not just woman.

Way to go Denise.

Mary ~ You must be very excited to see your Grandsons.

I better post this, my laptop is having problems staying connected to the internet. Hopefully I'll get my computer back next week. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #56
Senior LCF member

I'd like to second what Mary said about weight loss always being possible. I, too, lost all of my weight after menopause--and hypothyroid as well. In fact, I lost the first 60-70 lbs when I was undiagnosed but having severe hypo symptoms.

IMO, it's all about consistency. There were weeks when I lost nothing, but I just focused on staying on plan and restricting my calories as needed. Eventually, the scale will cooperate.

Keep in mind that this is a lifetime challenge. I probably eat more carefully now in maintenance than I did during weight loss because my body really wants me to gain weight. This is an actual physical phenomenon that scientists have verified. But I so love being 'normal' for the first time in my life that it's worth any effort involved!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning ~ I was rewarded with a 1 pound loss. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Leo
Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #58
Senior LCF member

Congratulations on the loss, Cindy. Slow and steady wins the race--eventually.

Thanks for your sympathy with my sleep deprivation. It's just temporary until I get the workers out of my house and can nap more regularly. Two vets (including a behaviorist) have told me that it's impossible to change my cat's biorhythms (he was 4 when I adopted him, so already set in his ways), so he's training me to live with these early mornings--as cats train us to do everything they want
Old 03-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL, cats certainly are master trainers, aren't they?
Cindy on the loss! Consistency is key!
I'm down a little too, yay.

DH lost his job today, not yay But I'm not going off my food plan b/c of it.
S.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherlocklabs
Stats: 320+/289/130
WOE: Atkins, LCHF ~ Clean Eating Only
Start Date: Restart: 6/29/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
LOL, cats certainly are master trainers, aren't they?
Cindy on the loss! Consistency is key!
I'm down a little too, yay.

DH lost his job today, not yay But I'm not going off my food plan b/c of it.
S.
Soren: congrats on your loss Good for you!!
So sorry to hear about your DH losing his job...I know how you feel, my DH lost his job just before Christmas.
One day at a time my friend. Yay you for staying on plan!

I'm staying off the scales (instead of checking constantly)...and am trying to stick with once a week. I am still hoping to lose 15 pounds by Easter...I've stayed on plan and am getting my LC groove on
I hope everyone is well! Enjoy the rest of your day/weekend!
sherlocklabs is offline   Reply With Quote