LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rach2424
Stats: 178/175/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2013
Advice? Please?

I have been doing low carb (along with most of my family) since December 2012. Of the 4 of us, I am the only one who has not lost a significant amount of weight (im only down 3lbs). The interesting thing about this, is that they have had a few "cheat" days and I have not had any!!!!

I am extremely frustrated with this. As a matter of fact, I have even continued with induction all 8 weeks. Every bit of research I do about Atkins says that if I am doing the diet correctly, I should have lost a lot more weight by now.

I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem? The only think I can think of is that I have had some issues with my hormones over the last few years, and am going to get that checked out again in a month. Could that be hindering my weight loss? Here is what I eat EVERY day:

Breakfast: 1 sausage link, 1 hard boiled egg
Snack: cream cheese rolled in 2 slices salami
Lunch: an Atkins shake
Dinner: Some type of meat with a low carb veggie OR a salad with ranch dressing.
Evening Snack: SF jello or cheese slices

I should also mention that I do not drink pop or anything else like that, just water (and lots of it). On top of that at work we have 8 flights of stairs and I run those 3x/day. WHATS WRONG?!?!?!? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by rach2424; 02-14-2013 at 11:16 AM..
rach2424 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
The Atkins shakes can sometimes stall certain people, along with the SF jello.

I'm wondering though, if you aren't eating enough. It doesn't sound like a lot of food to me. Have you tried using any of the online calculators to get an indea of what you are eating in terms of carbs, fats, proteins, and calories?

Have you taken any measurements since you started? Perhaps you are losing inches while you are building muscle - negating any losses seen on a scale?
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks so much for that advice, I never even thought about that. For the next few weeks I will omit the shakes, and bring other low carb foods instead. Fingers crossed! Thanks again
Old 02-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I hope that helps - it's so frustrating when we get stuck and others are moving right along!
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
It absolutley could be the amounts you are eating. You might need more fat or more protein. I agree that you need to log your food for a while and then get a nutritional report to look at where your carbs, calories, fats and proteins are.

I personally need lower calories to lose any weight. I still eat LC, just not super LC. I average about 40-50 grams of carbs a day and on occasion will go up to 60-70 a day. This works for MY body, it might not work for anyone else. I am hypothyroid and in menopause. But even when I was younger I still had to eat less than what I saw others eating. I also shake up my meals a bit. I can eat the same things over and over for weeks on end and not get bored. But once or twice a week for one meal I eat a higher carb portion of something. One portion only and not at home or I might be tempted to eat more. This will typically also drive my calories up slightly for the day. This helps me stay on plan and my body must like at as I have been dropping the weight.

I hope you find a solution.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
what were you eating before that? if you were inadvertantly eating low carb as the result of counting calories, which is common, you would not see that fast weight loss the high carbers get.
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SINDERELLA
Stats: 357/261/175
WOE: Atkins/LSG
Start Date: Sept 12, 2007/Restart/Surgery 11/05/12
Maybe you should eat more...your body might be thinking it's starving and is holding on. Especially if you're exercising and running up and down the stairs.
SINDERELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I also think you're probably not eating enough. Also, salt kills my weight loss and usually makes me retain water and gain. How about try cooking different proteins (like chicken or fish) with limited salt but lots of other seasonings... and eliminating the sausage and salami and see if that changes things. Cheese also has tons of salt (I believe I've seen one ounce of some cheeses can have 10% of the suggested sodium for the day - just one ounce - that's nuts!) - try cutting it out, too. I applaud your perserverence! Keep trying!!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all so much for your advice, it is very helpful. I will try all of these things and I hope and pray that they work. I am also going to go see my doctor and see if I have some hormonal issues going on (which I am pretty sure is part of the problem at least).

The crazy thing about all of this is that I use ketone strips (I know many people say not to go by those), but they almost ALWAYS say I am in ketosis. Things just aren't adding up and I am so close to giving up.............im trying so hard with no results
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs.Hyder
Stats: 270/270/125
WOE: LCHF (low carb/high fat)
Start Date: 2/11/2013
More Fat
I've done LC a few times in my life and I know the only time it didn't work so well was when I kept my fat down... The more fat you eat the less your body feels like it needs to store fat so it uses the fat as fuel.
The other thing that I noticed is that it looks like you need some more veggies in your diet. Aim for consuming some type of veggie at every meal.

Last edited by Mrs.Hyder; 02-19-2013 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: wasn't done... just pressed enter on accident
Mrs.Hyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs.Hyder
Stats: 270/270/125
WOE: LCHF (low carb/high fat)
Start Date: 2/11/2013
Oh and good luck.. I hope you start to see some results soon!
I admire your strict discipline.
Mrs.Hyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
I bet you're gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat, and may even be retaining some fluid. Salami sometimes has lots of sodium, as do dressings. I found it I let myself get too hungry at lunch I didn't lose as well, so the shake may not be enough for you. For me, I had to let go of the shakes and anything that tasted sweet, even if artificially sweet, for awhile, to start back my loss. I think my body sensed sweetness and it may have kept my insulin up just enough to slow my loss. Couldn't hurt to try going w/o the SF jello and Atkins shake just to see if your weight starts going down. If you're in ketosis, you're burning fat, so don't give up!! Good luck!
[img]3rd goal - get to Onederland by New Years Day!!
Make a lifestyle/eating change forever
Down 50 pounds after starting back July 5th
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Flex ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I want to say that 3 lbs is still 3 lbs less than you were Jan 1. You don't have a lot to lose. I don't either at this point and I only lose 3-4 lbs a month. But it adds up. This is a lifetime change, there are no winners or loosers, it is all about getting healthy. I don't eat salami (nitrates), shakes (unless I make them myself and know what goes into them), sf jello (unless I am sick). I do eat protein and a small fruit at breakfast, protein, cooked veg, raw veg, dressing at lunch and ditto for supper with extra salad and dressing. It is colorful and filling.

Hormones can have an effect, no doubt. Medicines of most any kind can too. But don't give up. 3 lbs a month over 8 months, you will be at goal or close to it and then the real challenge begins with eating to maintain within 5 lbs or so. Good luck!

Last edited by MaryMary; 03-03-2013 at 02:55 PM..
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigsaw
Stats: 252/191.5/180(mini goal) sz 24/18/?
WOE: Metabolism/Diabetes Miracle-step2
Start Date: 12/26/2012
I gotta say, it appears from what you are eating, you are starving. at least I would be. I would say to throw in way more vegetables, I try to eat veggies at every meal. I do not do atkins, but atkins phase one says:
Vegetables:
You should be eating approximately 12 to 15 net carbs a day from vegetables, which is equivalent to several cups depending on the Net Carb count of vegetable used.
1 cup is equal to approximately the size of a baseball
Vegetable Serving Size/Prep Net Carbs
• Alfalfa sprouts 1 cup/raw 0.4
• Argula 1/2cup/raw 0.2
• Bok choy 1cup/raw 0.8
• Celery 1 stalk 0.8
• Chicory Greens 1/2cup/raw 0.6
• Chives 1 tablespoon 0.1
• Cucumber ˝ cup 1.0
• Daikon ˝ cup 1.0
• Endive ˝ cup 0.0
• Escarole ˝ cup 0.0
• Fennel 1 cup 3.6
• Jicama ˝ cup 2.5
• Lettuce Iceberg ˝ cup 0.1
• Mushrooms ˝ cup 1.2
• Parsley 1 tablespoon 0.1
• Peppers ˝ cup/raw 2.3
• Radicchio ˝ cup/raw 0.7
• Radishes 10/raw 0.9
• Romaine lettuce ˝ cup 0.2

eat up

Last edited by Jigsaw; 03-03-2013 at 05:39 PM..
Jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

I agree Jigsaw. Veggies are the prettiest part of all this and complement the plate so that you feel like you are getting a real meal.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rebecca1979
Stats: 286/239/199 (for now!)
WOE: 2208/442 (11/5/13)
Start Date: October 19, 2013
I am soo metabolically challenegd that CHEESE knocks me out of Ketosis! Go to walmart ASAP and get Keto sticks for 7 dollars. Eat very clean for a few days (no atkins shakes, snacks, supplements) If you don't prepare it DON'T eat it! Introduce those foods back and if you knock yourself out of Ketosis you know to STAY away from the prepared foods. If you don't reach ketosis in the beginning whatever you are eating is making you stall (like me with cheese).

hope this helps!
Rebecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I hope you measured yourself at the beginning of starting Atkins. Sometimes we don't lose a lot on the scale, but our body is reshaping itself regardless.

I agree with the others that cutting out the shakes and other highly processed foods is a good idea too. Good luck, and keep coming here!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

When I was on Atkins, I could never get into Ketosis because I was on so many meds. I still lost and reshaped as others have said.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
PLEASE remember that ketostix are not the only way--or even the most accurate way--to track whether you're in ketosis. They're cheap and easy, which is why we use them, but LOTS of people do not always excrete ketones in their urine, even when they're in ketosis.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote