Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I remember promising myself a full body massage when I went below 200 lbs. the day came and went and I forgot until one day I was so stressed out, I called in sick and laid in bed feeling lousy. I remember the light bulb went off and I called and made an appt for the same day. It was glorious!

But don't wait for the number to treat yourself special. Treat yourself along the way. Small markers. Even now I set small goals like 5 lbs a month, and when I get there I celebrate and find a non-food treat. New makeup or a pair of shoes, a new pair of slacks or top, my nails or hair done. 45 lbs a year makes for a 230 lb loss in 5 years. Then I add another special non-food treat for every month I keep it off. Maintence is no easy thing but absolutely necessary if you don't want to have to repeat the exercise again and again.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
I remember promising myself a full body massage when I went below 200 lbs. the day came and went and I forgot until one day I was so stressed out, I called in sick and laid in bed feeling lousy. I remember the light bulb went off and I called and made an appt for the same day. It was glorious!

But don't wait for the number to treat yourself special. Treat yourself along the way. Small markers. Even now I set small goals like 5 lbs a month, and when I get there I celebrate and find a non-food treat. New makeup or a pair of shoes, a new pair of slacks or top, my nails or hair done. 45 lbs a year makes for a 230 lb loss in 5 years. Then I add another special non-food treat for every month I keep it off. Maintence is no easy thing but absolutely necessary if you don't want to have to repeat the exercise again and again.
Truth be told, it has been so long that I've had any kind of loss to celebrate - not even a small one. Last week I lost 8.5 pounds, which was the best loss I've had in about 8 years, so I should be celebrating that for sure. Maybe I just didn't trust that it was "for real" and I'm expecting the scale to show more next time, but I certainly hope not.

When I lost weight on Atkins the first time, I bought a charm bracelet, and added a new charm for every ten pounds I took off. I found the bracelet in the back of a drawer the other day, so I can start putting charms on it again if I can get to that first ten pounds!

Other ways of celebrating interval losses, for me, would be manicures and pedicures. And I have a huge closet of clothes in smaller sizes, so just getting back into some of those would be a reward for me.
raini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chris 232
Stats: 242.8/230.6/133 5'6" age 64
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/2006, restart 2/2012 & 7/2014
My first thing would be to pack up almost all of my closet--throwing out all my baggy underwear too. Things would be finally too big. I might save a few things of the one size just up from my then slim body. But the rest of it would go. Then I would completely organize the rest of the junk I keep in the closet.
Most of my life would stay the same. going to church, garden clubs, meeting friends.
Right now I am signing up for a garden lecture. I have 3 weeks to lose 8 lbs. that is my goal and I WILL make it.
Chris 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 2f2f
Stats: 256.5/235.5/170
Start Date: 01/02/2013
For me: Sky dive, hang glide, bungee jump, horseback riding, white water rafting, rock climbing, snow ski, water ski, ride a wave runner, swim with the dolphins, zip line, rappel - all of the stuff I'm embarrassed to do at this weight for fear of not being able to do it or being made fun of.
2f2f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2f2f View Post
For me: Sky dive, hang glide, bungee jump, horseback riding, white water rafting, rock climbing, snow ski, water ski, ride a wave runner, swim with the dolphins, zip line, rappel - all of the stuff I'm embarrassed to do at this weight for fear of not being able to do it or being made fun of.
I went tubing last summer, and the water level wasn't very high. I kept getting stuck and was way behind my family because my tube was so much heavier. I heard several people making snide comments when I would get stuck - it was so hurtful and embarrasing. Now I use those comments to help keep me motivated and on plan. I won't be at goal this summer - but hopefully the difference in my weight will make the tubing a little easier.
Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 2f2f
Stats: 256.5/235.5/170
Start Date: 01/02/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt1975 View Post
I went tubing last summer, and the water level wasn't very high. I kept getting stuck and was way behind my family because my tube was so much heavier. I heard several people making snide comments when I would get stuck - it was so hurtful and embarrasing. Now I use those comments to help keep me motivated and on plan. I won't be at goal this summer - but hopefully the difference in my weight will make the tubing a little easier.

Oh yeah, add Salt River Tubing to my list - LOL. It's remarks like that the are keeping sidelined. It is hurtful and embarrasing. But one day soon..................
2f2f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
I'd go out and buy the cutest clothes and shoes I could find, that I've always wanted to wear. I'd have a nip and tuck of all the skin that will probably be hanging down a foot! I'd book a cruise for hubby and I and not be overweight on this one (though I was much smaller than I am now). On the cruise, we'd horseback ride, snorkel, and hike through the jungle to the ruins. Last time we swam with the sting rays and snorkeled, and that was fun, but I wasn't sure if I could make the trek to the ruins or ride a horse anymore. I'd clean up my house top to bottom and spend a whole weekend in the yard because right now I just get too tired and don't have the energy I used to just a few years ago. And, last of all, I wouldn't say, "honey, turn off the lights!". LOL
[img]3rd goal - get to Onederland by New Years Day!!
Make a lifestyle/eating change forever
Down 50 pounds after starting back July 5th
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/132.8/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
2f2f, my list is very similiar to yours!
I want to zip line down Fremont Street in Vegas
Skydiving is definitely on my list
Taking my kids to Knotts Berry Farm to ride ALL the roller coasters
Going out on our boat in the summer without wearing a coverup from my neck past my knees
White water rafting
Run a marathon, or a half marathon, or even run at all!

There's so so many things that I want to do, but I can't at this weight. Maybe by this time next year......
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 1uncoolmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
Make a trip to Cedar Point and ride every roller coaster!
Good thought! I was born and raised in Ohio and never went there...food for thought!
1uncoolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lola001
Stats: 68.2/67.1/50
WOE: Atkins 72 post preggy
Start Date: begin 15 April 2009
strut my stuff in a Proudly South African bikini that I bought years ago with great optimism.
lola001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt1975 View Post
As soon as I get done shopping though I'm heading directly to Islands of Adventure to explore the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and ride the fantastic rides. After that I'm going to go to Wet and Wild and spend all day enjoying myself instead of declaring myself 'cooler guardian' because I'm too embarrassed to wear a bathing suit.
the Harry Potter rides are awesome! you will love them. I did feel a bit squeezed in them though, and didn't enjoy walking around in the heat... I'd love to go back minus about 80 lbs and see if I like it more!
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealything View Post
the Harry Potter rides are awesome! you will love them. I did feel a bit squeezed in them though, and didn't enjoy walking around in the heat... I'd love to go back minus about 80 lbs and see if I like it more!
I'm a native Floridian - I don't mind the heat too much, but I imagine that I'll mind it even less when I'm 150lbs down. Won't be happening this summer - but hopefully next summer will be more comfortable.
Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Definitely the Harry Potter rides, and also maybe go for a horseback ride for the first time in over twenty years.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rebecca1979
Stats: 286/239/199 (for now!)
WOE: 2208/442 (11/5/13)
Start Date: October 19, 2013
First I would get a complete makeover and then go find myself a part time job OR go back to school. I know I could do the latter now, but I feel like I would be in a different place mentally.
Rebecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: N7femshep
Stats: 250/245/150
WOE: 40 carbs a day
Victoria's secret

Years back I went into a Victoria's Secret to look for a specific perfume which they no longer carry. The clerk saw me, and instead of the usual, "May I help you?" she said to me, "I don't think you'll find anything in your size here. You might want to try across the hall." Across the hall from the Victoria's Secret was a Lane Bryant.
I left the store very redfaced and had quite a tearful evening. I would love to walk into that store again and this time not only buy lingerie off of the rack, but have the nerve to ask for the store manager and complain about what happened should that employee still be working there. I know that when it happened I shouldn't have scurried away like a little mouse, but at the time I felt about two inches tall. My best motivation is being able to walk around and shop in public without feeling like everyone is tsk tsking me in disgust at 240 lbs.
N7femshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

That "sales"woman was a complete and utter wanker. No one should be treated that way, but even beyond that, she blew a sale. Why would she assume she knew what you were there for? Like you had no idea what size you were, and she was giving you new information?

I would have asked to see the manager right then and there. That is completely unacceptable, and she should NOT be in retail sales. I'm mad for you!

ETA: I'm not blaming you for being upset and leaving. I'm just upset that anyone thinks that's okay.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 03-27-2013 at 05:59 PM..
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I'd try to organize a high school reunion! You know, just a casual get-together requiring fabulous clothes ; )
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #48
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LC My Way
Shopping trip, big time!

And then I'd plan trips, to New York, Boston, Paris, Africa, China, tulip time in the Netherlands---all the places I've been dreaming of going to for the last 5 years, but that I am just not physically able to do right now.

~

Last edited by heidihoopi; 03-28-2013 at 12:12 AM..
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: N7femshep
Stats: 250/245/150
WOE: 40 carbs a day
Thanks, Ntombi. It helps to know that someone else can understand how very wrong it was!

I can totally identify with those of you that said shopping. There are so many cute things I have felt will always be out of my reach. Losing that mindset right now! Obviously I'm a newbie, but I'm pumped to lose and wake up every day now excited thinking of what life can be like without the rubber suit, so to speak.
N7femshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7femshep View Post
Years back I went into a Victoria's Secret to look for a specific perfume which they no longer carry. The clerk saw me, and instead of the usual, "May I help you?" she said to me, "I don't think you'll find anything in your size here. You might want to try across the hall." Across the hall from the Victoria's Secret was a Lane Bryant.
I left the store very redfaced and had quite a tearful evening. I would love to walk into that store again and this time not only buy lingerie off of the rack, but have the nerve to ask for the store manager and complain about what happened should that employee still be working there. I know that when it happened I shouldn't have scurried away like a little mouse, but at the time I felt about two inches tall. My best motivation is being able to walk around and shop in public without feeling like everyone is tsk tsking me in disgust at 240 lbs.
I had someone say that to me once, too. I wasn't even shopping for myself, but for my DIL who was plenty small enough to find clothes there. I left the shop, too- but should have proclaimed loudly that they had just lost at least $200 in sales. If it ever happens again, I will not only have a chat with the manager, but probably send a letter to the CEO AND make a huge racket online in a scathing review. I'm so sorry that it happened to you as well.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:12 AM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Ladies who went to Victoria's Secret, It is not to late to write those letters and air your complaints. Who knows...you might get some free goods out of it.

Personally, I was in the same place and went in with my daughter. We both tried on some bras. I bought one and wore it a couple of times. Very uncomfortable. I still have it and haven't been back. I was not real impressed with the goods. I think it is more hype that quality. I bought some undies...same thing. I now like going to the different outlet stores and watching Lady Grace's for sales.

Did you know that at Jockey's if you buy anything, you can return it if you don't like it, even if it has been worn? They are my favorite; next comes Wacoal, Champion, and Dominique. If you go into the website for Lady Grace, you can see all the vendors and their goods. They send you notices of the sales.

Last edited by MaryMary; 03-29-2013 at 03:13 AM..
Old 03-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Ladies who went to Victoria's Secret, It is not to late to write those letters and air your complaints. Who knows...you might get some free goods out of it.

Personally, I was in the same place and went in with my daughter. We both tried on some bras. I bought one and wore it a couple of times. Very uncomfortable. I still have it and haven't been back. I was not real impressed with the goods. I think it is more hype that quality. I bought some undies...same thing. I now like going to the different outlet stores and watching Lady Grace's for sales.

Did you know that at Jockey's if you buy anything, you can return it if you don't like it, even if it has been worn? They are my favorite; next comes Wacoal, Champion, and Dominique. If you go into the website for Lady Grace, you can see all the vendors and their goods. They send you notices of the sales.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going shopping...
Old 03-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

I definitely miss Lady Grace. I wish they were in more areas.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:13 AM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

The other thing I ptomised myself was plastic surgery to remove the haning skin around my neck, face, arms and back from losng over 200 lbs and keeping it off. I hav had two appts so far and will be getting the neck, face and eyes in a month. It will take three procedures to do it all. I have been savings for 7 years.