Old 01-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nomorepepsi
Stats: 250/243/135
WOE: Modified Greysheeters
Start Date: January 2013
How do I start all over again?

Hi, fellow low-carbers,

I'm been a member of LCF for a couple of weeks now, but some emotional turmoil threw me into a carb binge.. I want to know how to get back oin the wagon... right now I still feel a big fragile, and my financial situation is not the best... Behlor
nomorepepsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jazlyn
Stats: 290/243/160
It does cost more to eat LC, I think. That makes it hard when you are financially strapped. I know. Do you like eggs? I eat a lot of eggs. Plan your meals and only buy what you need at the grocery store. Just dust yourself off and start right now. Even if I mess up, I try to stick to LC my next meal. Don't wait until tomorrow or Monday. You can do it.
Jazlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kitnmom
Stats: 235/198/160ish again
WOE: Atkins, Love that man!
Start Date: September 15, 2003
eggs all different ways are the big thing and there is a low carb on a budget thread. But what ever progress you made hold on to it as if your life depended on it. There are many of us that messed up some worse than me some less but always remember the first couple weeks are the worst and we are here to support you, you can always get back on the wagon and the faster the better. get in here confess or not forgive yourself and move on!
kitnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the suggestions... I found twenty bucks, enough to head to Target and fill up on groceries for the next several days... I feel much better now, although you're right Jazlyn, low-carb is expensive... I'll update you on the meals I plan... Behlor
Old 01-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Buy some chicken leg quarters are always cheaper.
alabama sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
My budget friendly LC choices include:

Protein: eggs, chicken leg quarters, ground beef, tuna, country style pork ribs
Veggies: frozen sprouts, fresh green beans, fresh spinach
Extras: cheese sticks, block cheese (shred it yourself), mayo

A combo of all of the above can create different snack and meals over the course of several days for under $30. For example:

Eggs= egg salad (with mayo), omelet (with spinach and cheese), deviled eggs, fried eggs
Chicken= roast for dinner with a veg, shred leftovers to mix with mayo and have for lunch with a spinach salad
Ground beef= hamburger patty with cheese, brown beef into crumbles and make a stir fry or add into an omelet, make meatballs with spinach and shredded cheese mixed in
Country ribs= roast for dinner with a veg, leftovers for lunch with cheese or stir fry with more veg

Yes, being broke is an issue that adds another variable to consider when meal planning but I have honestly found I spent more on food when I was carb loading for emotional comfort and convenience.

Good luck getting back on track! You can do it!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Trish... Behlor
Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
$20 to spend?

Here are the things I would buy
Two dozen eggs
Butter
Chicken Legs (cheapest cut of meat and so delicious)
Broccoli/Cauliflower whatever is on sale
Romaine
Spinach

Pretty sure that should be under $20. I'd also buy cheese but that might not fit in your budget.

You can do this! Everyone will fall off this diet at some point, you just have to brush the crumbs off and get back on the LC wagon.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
Stats: Currently 228, re-started 9/1 down 56 lbs!
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
I'm right there with you. Today was day 1 for me, but not exactly Atkins induction. Today I drank coffee for breakfast, not great....for lunch an avocado, spicy V8, and some cheddar cheese. Just got home so I ate a big dill pickle and I need to go in and scramble some eggs. Tomorrow I'll eat eggs and turkey sausage for breakfast, split a big grilled salad with a friend of mine from a local mom and pop shop that's really good, and I have broc and some leftover chicken for supper. I find that getting protein items on sale and freezing them, or making LC casseroles and freezing portions saves money and keeps the family from grabbing my LC food leaving me to get off plan. A rotisserie chicken is a good deal when they have "meal deals" with them. They do that sometimes at our local HEB. Then I'll cook down the carcass after it's picked over and make a LC chicken soup with lots of spices, veggies and herbs. I had to quit making and buying the LC sweets because I over-indulged and it was pretty $$. I don't know if you like greens, but if you make up a large portion of collard, mustard, whatever kind of greens with some ham hock, ham, a smoked turkey leg, or just with onion and a can of no sugar added tomatoes, that's really cheap and healthy and helps you get in some veggies. If you're like me, I get tired quickly of the meat/cheese/eggs thing and tend to get a little constipated when starting off new again. The greens, spinach, things like that really help. Good luck and keep on posting!
Make a lifestyle/eating change forever
Down 56 pounds after starting back 9/1/14

Last edited by razberry; 01-29-2013 at 08:14 PM..
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: StephanieK
Stats: 430/370/Decide when I get there
WOE: Mostly Vegan/Vegetarian Whole Foods
Start Date: 2/3/2014
I got back on the wagon by doing a small plate challenge. If you follow it your food budget will improve.

It is an easy way to do portion control because you use a 7 inch salad plate. I also started reading up on portion distortion and for me it put into perspective on why so many carbs are consumed in a day. I had a new lightbulb moment. I boxed up all of the huge dishes, plates, mugs, huge water jugs, utensils and replaced them with smaller dishes. I was amazed at the extra space and it hit me that all of the food and beverages needed to fill those dishes up were being stored on me.

I lost 10 pounds the first week. It's been a long time since I've lost that much in a week. Remember when Atkins was first written the dishes were a lot smaller. If you put your meat, veggies and healthy fats first, there won't be room for too many carbs. .

Last edited by StephanieK; 01-29-2013 at 09:03 PM..
StephanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ellipsisdream
Stats: 5'11" 279/268/124
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2013
I hope things ease up for you soon, nomorepepsi. Thanks to all of you for some budget suggestions- I am getting ready to start (after payday so I can shop), and can use all of the help I can get with keeping things lower on the money scale.
ellipsisdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 148
Start Date: Jan 2001
I find that in reality, I spend less on this program because I don't drink or eat out very often. Partly because I like what I eat and junk food is costly. You are paying for the box they put it in. Stick to the outside aisles of the store. Shop and chop your way to good health no matter what. Don't let anyone or anything deter you. It is life or death for me. Portions, a kitchen scale, proteins on sale, fresh veggies and homemade salad dressing will be your best friend. Plan a menu for the week, skip starbucks, drink water (it's free). It is do-able. If you have to cut back in other areas, it is worth it. One day at a time. Commit your meals here daily before you eat them. Pack you lunches for work. These things work.

Last edited by MaryMary; 02-16-2013 at 02:44 PM..
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chris 232
Stats: 242.8/232.8/140 5'6" age 65
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/2006, restart ... 12/2014
on the costs idea: eggs are cheap. at a Coney restaurant I get an omlet and take 1/2 home for another whole meal. take small bites and chew thoroughly. Buy a whle cooked chicken (I now they have some sugar in the coating) but it lasts for 6 meals for $5-not too bad. Pop, chips, cookies, candy-are all high priced itesm what are quickly and mindlessly eaten.
Every day is a new beginning-success or ???- the choice is yours.
I've been out of town and the Christmas holidays--and a 2 week delay before I decided to get on program agian. so I have a 18 lb gain to eliminate before I can continue my downward chart to 110 lb. I have my yearly doctor's appointment in a month, 2 weddings this summer. all reasons to get on track now.
What is coming up in your life? Even plans that are far in the future? Christmas will be here again before we know it. Come join us at the Easter challenge-its only have 5 weeks.
Chris 232 is offline   Reply With Quote