Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Century Club (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/)
-   -   What are your exercize plans for the new year? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/793987-what-your-exercize-plans-new-year.html)

Jazlyn 01-08-2013 08:11 AM

What are your exercize plans for the new year?

I didn't see a thread for this and I apologize if it's already been asked.

I did water aerobics faithfully last year and lost 35 lbs and didn't exactly eat right the whole time. I about the only one at water aerobics that is under 70 but I love it. I can't walk anymore because of one knee and my hip on the other side.

I started off this year being sick and couldn't go swimming but it didn't stop me from eating. After 12 days of being sick, I think I'm finally well enough to go back.

My goal is to start exercizing tomorrow. It's only on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday or I would start today. I just need to get back into the habit. I need my mojo back.

Jazlyn 01-09-2013 07:58 AM

No one has exercize plans?

stepinthyme 01-10-2013 07:25 AM

I have exercise plans!

I'm working through an ankle/foot injury from last year that prevents me from doing a lot of the things I used to (which has lots to do with my 26 pound regain this past year)...

Anyhow, I have a Fitbit, which I absolutely love! I'm walking in the halls and up/down the stairs in the apartment complex I live in. I think the extra padding in the carpet is really helping to reduce the impact, as now I'm up to walking 45 minutes 5-7 days per week, and the stairs get my heart rate elevated.

I thought I was going to restart my Pilates exercises that I used to do this month, but I haven't been consistent with it. However, what I did was to make note cards of various exercises that focus on different body areas. Then I divided those cards into 3 sets, which end up being 3 workouts that I chose from. They take about 20-30 minutes to complete. My goal is to do my walk in the morning and Pilates at night, but right now it's been walk at night and Pilates on the weekend.

Jazlyn 01-10-2013 07:40 AM

Wow, you are doing great. I was thinking about getting a fitbit. Maybe knowing I had it on would help me get off of my butt during the day. Is it waterproof?

stepinthyme 01-10-2013 08:46 AM

It isn't waterproof. However, you can input other activity, so you could track the water aerobics with the Fitbit. It interfaces with the online calorie counter I use, and there is a smartphone app I have as well for it. I've had this for about 6 weeks now, and I can tell you that I now have a much clearer picture of my activity/food plan vs. execution! I don't track my sleep with it, but that is an additional function you can use.

By the way, I had done a water aerobics class when we lived in New England, and that was fantastic, though I was the youngest participant besides the instructor. I was literally sweating in the water. Wow! The apartment complex I live in has an outdoor pool. I used that this past summer several times and did a lot of the moves from that class. My plan is to do that again this summer.

Jazlyn 01-10-2013 09:20 AM

I sweat in the water too! I believe my instructor is around 80 but she still gives me a heck of a workout. A lot of the ladies do very little exercize and a lot of talking but I give it my all. That is great you have an outdoor pool. The worst part is the drive there.

Is a fitbit spendy? Is it easy to use it online? I'm not very computer savy.

stepinthyme 01-10-2013 10:16 AM

I just sent you a pm for more info. I totally hear what you're saying about the drive. I devised my current exercise plan the way I did so that I don't have to drive somewhere to work out. I work full-time, have a child in daycare, and a husband who works out of state 5 days a week. I don't want to have to deal with drive-time and rush hour traffic in order to get in my workouts. For me, that would be an all too easy excuse to not move my bum!

Vilya 01-12-2013 08:05 AM

My plan is TO exercise. :laugh:

I have been really terrible about exercise. I mean, I do walk a little, but I really need to do more. My town just voted on building an indoor aquatic center, and I'm totally psyched about that. I think it will take a year or so to build, but then I will have a place to swim year-round, for a low cost. That will be soooo nice!

Jazlyn 01-12-2013 12:11 PM

Thank you Stepinthyme. I really appreciate it. :)

Vilya, it is hard to get into the swing of things when you first start. That's how it is for me anyway. Your aquatic center sounds like it will be a great thing.

biancasteeplechase 01-12-2013 06:52 PM

My exercise plans just aren't very interesting - I already do about 30 minutes of cardio six days a week. I'd like to start lifting weights again, but need to wait until this shoulder injury heals up - it's been bothering me for months now. (The doctor says shoulder joints can take a long time to heal.)

alabama sunshine 01-12-2013 07:18 PM

My plans are chair exercise with bands and weights.

Jazlyn 01-13-2013 08:37 AM

Bianca, I would love to start lifting weights. The doctor said it's good for my husband's diabetes and I read that it, along with cardio, really promotes weight loss.

Winifred, that is a good plan. I could do that on days that I'm snowed in or don't feel like going out to the rec center.

I haven't been to water aerobics because of the snow. My husband finally got the snowblower out and did the driveway so I can get my car out. I'm hoping for Monday.

biancasteeplechase 01-13-2013 09:36 AM

If you're interested in weightlifting, I really recommend the site stumptuous.com - it has a lot of articles for women who are getting started with weights.

LadyN 01-14-2013 07:56 AM

My plans are just to begin daily exercise! I have started with the Walk Away the Pounds series for now. I eventually want to be able to walk 5 miles by July. That is when I hope to have to replace my entire wardrobe!

Jazlyn 01-14-2013 10:17 AM

That is a great goal.

MaryMary 01-15-2013 07:29 PM

Hello, I plan on walking. I started doing more last May and then in Oct got a watch that counts my steps and it helps a lot. When the sun is out and there is no ice or snow, I like to walk 4-5 miles a day. Lately, I am getting in about 3 miles a day.

I am thinking of trying yoga in 2013.

And maybe do a little with weights.

Winifred, Jazlun, LadyN, and Bianca...hooe we can help each other out with this.

Jazlyn 01-16-2013 09:19 AM

Yoga sounds like it would be a good thing to do. I just don't know if I could get into any of the positions. I want to do weights too. I've heard it does a lot of good things to your body, like strengthen bones, boost metabolism, make weight loss faster..

I tried tai chi and I realized how awful my breathing is. I would really like to work on it. I am dreading it because I didn't really like it but I know it would be good for me.

trishthedish 01-16-2013 11:53 AM

I've been an avid walker since February of 2012. Usually just 30 minutes, most days. As my weight has gone down, my speed and intensity has gone up. I have even started adding short intervals of jogging here and there.

Jazlyn 01-17-2013 05:50 AM

I would love to be able to jog. I can't even walk right now without something hurting. Your weightloss is fabulous.

MagieDen 01-20-2013 04:28 AM

Daily plan is walking for the moment. A body in motion, stays in motion! Good success to you all in the exercise department!

:)

LadyN 01-20-2013 11:07 AM

I 've been walking more outside than to my WATP vids. I also do things like park farther away and when I go to walmart, I take a lap around the store before actually shopping. Got to get it in someway! :-)

Jazlyn 01-20-2013 04:13 PM

Good for you, walkers. I see that I said I would be back exercizing on the 9th and I still haven't done it. I had a really good talk with myself and hyped myself all up to go tomorrow. Now I'm wondering if the rec center will be closed for the holiday.