Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Century Club
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Easily Amused

Gallery: FindingMyWay
To scale or not to scale?

I am starting back on LC and my scale is broken. Part of me thinks I should at least know my start weight but another part of me knows if I have a scale I obsess over it.
So, do I buy a new scale or go by how my clothes fit or ?

Last edited by FindingMyWay; 01-01-2013 at 12:13 PM..
FindingMyWay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Can you go to the gym or drop by a dr's office for a quick weighin and leave the scale there? When I was new at this in 2001, my DH took me to his office, in the shipping dept I got on the scale on the first of the month. The reason was that I could not afford a scale that went up to 376 lbs. Today I have a beautful Tanita scale. The thing is I only record my weight on the first, so the number in between is meaningless, so long as I am being honest with myself and followng my plan. The number on the scale is the byproduct of taking the next right action. You can't control it. Our choices come in the form of planning and preparing good healthy food each day.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: littlegeorge
Stats: Starting at 400 pounds
WOE: Atkins, mostly
Start Date: 11/1/2012
To scale or not to scale - It all depends on where you are in your diet and how you are feeling about your results.

For example, in the beginning stages of a diet, (when the weight loss is relatively rapid and I can depend the scale to report a bit of weight loss every day) I have found that weighing myself every morning provides the kind of positive feedback that reminds me that I'm making progress.

But later on in the diet, (when I can go for days or even weeks without losing anything), the feedback that comes from the scale isn't always what I need to hear in order to keep going. And really, that's what it's all about - doing whatever you need to do to keep going.

Imagine that one night you go to a party. You eat 3 hamburgers (with buns) along with french fries and ketsup, washing it down with a six pack of beer and topping it off with a thick slice of chocolate layer cake. But then, the next morning you return to your diet and act like nothing happened the night before. From my point of view, that's not a failure.

But if you respond to the one-day lapse by deciding that you just aren't cut out to stick to a diet and fall off the wagon permanently, then that's a disaster that you need to avoid.

What has worked for me is to weigh myself every day, and then be honest with myself about the number that I see on the scale. If I break my diet by overeating at a party or some other one-time event, I know that the scale will rub my nose in the resulting weight gain within a day or two. In the morning, I will expect the numbers to be bad, and so I can choose to interpret the weight gain as a reminder that I need to get right back on the wagon. And as long as I do that, it's not a failure.

One day's worth of bad numbers from your scale doesn't mean that you've failed, or that your diet is over. I keep a daily log of my weight. At the end of each week, I average out the numbers for the previous 7 days (actually, I have my computer do it for me). At the end of 90 days, I'll have the computer draw a graph of the weekly averages for me. That graph will invariably show a long slow downward trend in my weight, without any of the little 'blips' that resulted from going to parties. I hang that graph up in my office as a reminder that my diet is working, and that little one-day lapses simply aren't important...

-geo
littlegeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
There is a scale that only records what you have lost or gained. You never see your weight. Maybe that is the scale for you. If later on you are curious you can weight on your doc's scale and add the amount you have lost.

I personally use the scale as a tool for accountability. I don't obsess if I go up or don't lose for a few days as I know when I am doing things right the weight will come off. And if I am not eating right I will see it.

Good luck finding what is right for you.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stepinthyme
Stats: 289/???/190 - 5'-8"
WOE: Low Carb/Counting Calories
Start Date: Restart January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranquie View Post
There is a scale that only records what you have lost or gained. You never see your weight. Maybe that is the scale for you. If later on you are curious you can weight on your doc's scale and add the amount you have lost.

I personally use the scale as a tool for accountability. I don't obsess if I go up or don't lose for a few days as I know when I am doing things right the weight will come off. And if I am not eating right I will see it.

Good luck finding what is right for you.

I use the scale in basically the same way as Phranquie. I care more about the inches than the pounds. A friend of mine said something to me years ago that I love--"I don't care if I weigh 500 pounds, as long as I fit in a size 8". For me, I substitute a size 12...
stepinthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/18/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
The thing is I only record my weight on the first, so the number in between is meaningless, so long as I am being honest with myself and followng my plan. The number on the scale is the byproduct of taking the next right action. You can't control it. Our choices come in the form of planning and preparing good healthy food each day.

I record my weight every other Friday. Anything that happens on the scale in-between doesn't count. The bi-weekly number shows the overall trend that reflects my nutrition and fitness choices.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Get one but just don't use it that often!
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs.Hyder
Stats: 270/270/125
WOE: LCHF (low carb/high fat)
Start Date: 2/11/2013
I regularly read a blog by this sweedish doctor that is pro low carb and his take on the scale thing is that it is an inaccurate representation since it measures organs, muscles and fat so it doesn't factor in whether or not you are gaining muscle which weighs more than fat. He suggests using a measuring tape instead to track your accomplishments.

Good Luck!!
Mrs.Hyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jess70
Stats: 18 to 8
WOE: LOW CARB
Start Date: 2/25/13
I decided this go around to avoid the scale, I have a general idea of about how much I weigh but the truth of the matter is I don't have a goal number but a goal size rather. I want to feel comfortable and be able to shop anywhere.
Jess70 is offline   Reply With Quote