Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Mz Melissa and RavenG.Sarah how do you cook the pork belly? I have seen it on the food network either baked or fried.Hope everyone having a great weekend.Its cold here and I don't like cold weather.Back aching ,knees aching my body can't take cold weather.This was Saturday for the food ministry at church and it was cold out at 6:30 this morning,ice on the windshield thank God for Danny scrapping ice and warming up my truck.Have a Blessed Sunday.
alabama sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MzMelissa
Stats: Highest: 434 restart 343/263/180
WOE: wls, low carb
Start Date: Aug 15, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama sunshine View Post
Mz Melissa and RavenG.Sarah how do you cook the pork belly? I have seen it on the food network either baked or fried.Hope everyone having a great weekend.Its cold here and I don't like cold weather.Back aching ,knees aching my body can't take cold weather.This was Saturday for the food ministry at church and it was cold out at 6:30 this morning,ice on the windshield thank God for Danny scrapping ice and warming up my truck.Have a Blessed Sunday.

Thank you beautiful
MzMelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #123
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Happy Saturday! (Well, Sunday for Sarah!) Please excuse any missing letters, my computer/keyboard is acting up again.

Raven--I don't blame you for wanting the surgery at all. We've lived long enough in uncomfortable bodies, you deserve to not have the pain--as well as not having to 'dress around' the "girls!"

Your breakfast sounds great! I love having pancakes on the weekend---think I might have some tomorrow! I kind of switch up what I use but I have used a gluten free mix before but most of the time I use oat flour and maybe throw in a bit of buckwheat and/or quinoa flour----I tend to mix my flours a lot! As far as the maple syrup goes---I don't have a good sub for that but have you tried coconut palm syrup? It's my fave!! The carbs are high but it's low glycemic and it's always treated me well. It's not mapley though---more brown sugar/caramel/corn syrup kind of flavor. Oh, I just remembered yacon syrup---have you ever used that? Very low glycemic and more of a maple flavor---but very expensive and hard to find.

Jazlyn---is that you in your avi? You do not look like you could possibly be old enough to have a granddaughter!! Well, I hope you are having fun with her!

Sarah---so how was the curry? What exactly is in it? I'm all about new recipes to try out.

Lz---me+hormones=binge monster....enough said! Good for you for keeping it under control, not an easy task. TOM just started FINALLY for me yesterday and my world now feels back to normal....for the 3 weeks it was late, and actually even for a week or two before that, I was a big hormonal mess.

MzMelissa---wow, you really have lost a lot, YAY YOU!! So what do you think about the lap band?

Winifred--- that is really cold for your part of the world! I'm so sorry you're hurting. Do you have an electric blanket or even a hot water bottle or something you can curl up with? Personally I take a lot of hot baths in the winter--I hate when I get that 'cold to the bone' kind of feeling.

Monica---hope you're having a great weekend!

I've had an oddly productive day today and hoping I can keep it up tomorrow so I can get some things caught up. Have a nice weekend everyone!
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MzMelissa
Stats: Highest: 434 restart 343/263/180
WOE: wls, low carb
Start Date: Aug 15, 2010
Thanks Teresa, I think it is a great tool, but it only works as hard as I do. It makes it to where I can't eat bread or tortillas without getting stuck, but if I still make bad choices (chips, suger, Ice cream) I will stay a big girl. I appreciate the fact that it makes low carb easier for me.
MzMelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RavenG
Stats: 305/184.6/160 or 28/10/8 - Whichever Comes First!
WOE: Atkins/Primal/Paleo
Start Date: June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa123 View Post
Happy Saturday! (Well, Sunday for Sarah!) Please excuse any missing letters, my computer/keyboard is acting up again.

Raven--I don't blame you for wanting the surgery at all. We've lived long enough in uncomfortable bodies, you deserve to not have the pain--as well as not having to 'dress around' the "girls!"

Your breakfast sounds great! I love having pancakes on the weekend---think I might have some tomorrow! I kind of switch up what I use but I have used a gluten free mix before but most of the time I use oat flour and maybe throw in a bit of buckwheat and/or quinoa flour----I tend to mix my flours a lot! As far as the maple syrup goes---I don't have a good sub for that but have you tried coconut palm syrup? It's my fave!! The carbs are high but it's low glycemic and it's always treated me well. It's not mapley though---more brown sugar/caramel/corn syrup kind of flavor. Oh, I just remembered yacon syrup---have you ever used that? Very low glycemic and more of a maple flavor---but very expensive and hard to find.
I looked at the coconut palm syrup....it didn't seem that much different in carb count than the maple syrup so I skipped it. I mix alot of my flours too....I try to limit my higher carb meals to just the weekend and to just ONE meal on the weekend....then do low carb through the week. Since my husband still eats carbs (although only Gluten Free ones) it allows me to have a meal with him that doesn't involve me cooking two separate meals and he's got lunches for the week too. I've never heard of yacon syrup....I'll have to look for that one. I've used the coconut aminos to replace soy sauce and that was good. I like to make stir fry because I can cook the meat and vegetables, pull out what I want and then add the noodles for my husband.

Now I have to figure out who everyone is on this thread so I can make proper introductions You guys are taxing my memory!
RavenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #126
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahjw
Stats: 250+/227/140
WOE: Schwarzbein Principle
Sorry I didn't get back, been busy revising for exams.

I can't remember who asked but pork belly *I think* is as it sounds - belly of a pig - it's really fatty and tender. It was slow-cooked in the oven I think Winifred - has to be slow to get it so tender.

The curry was delicious and for anyone that's interested, here's how I make it:

Ingredients:
1 onion
3 chicken breasts or pork steaks
4 tomatoes
1 inch fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic
2 chillies (less if you prefer)
1 red pepper
3 mushrooms
2 vegetable oxo cubes
Fresh coriander leaves
1 teaspoon of the following spices:
-Cinnamon
-Chillie Powder (optional)
-Turmeric
-Cumin Seeds
-Paprika

Chop and fry onion in a drizzle of olive oil until light brown.
Add chopped chicken and cook slowly.
Meanwhile, remove seeds from the pepper and chillies.
Add peeled and chopped garlic and ginger, mushrooms, pepper, chillies, tomatoes and all herbs and spices except coriander to blender and whizz until quite smooth.
Add sauce too chicken and onions and heat through, adding coriander at the same time.
sarahjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #127
Junior LCF Member

I also like to add chopped tomatoes about 4-5 mins before serving (so they are soft but not disappeared into the rest of the sauce). That recipe makes 3-4 servings (depending on whether you are feeding a greedy man or not!)
Old 01-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jazlyn
Stats: 290/243/160
Teresa, It's my daughter and son in my avi. I wish I looked that good. lol

That sounds good Sarah. What is a vegetable oxo cube?
Jazlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Sarah thats what I figured pork belly is cooked slow to render the fat out.I like the recipe you posted too.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 2f2f
Stats: 256.5/235.5/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/02/2013
Happy Tuesday everyone! I hope you all have a great day and stay strong!
2f2f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Tuesday to you too, Monica! I hope everyone is doing well.

Today was my bday and my son asked when I was making my cake so he could have some. Sweet, sweet baby boy. Doesn't he know I'm not going to make my own cake? lol Then my husband comes home with a cake. I ate 3 pieces.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Jazlyn - That was nice of your husband to bring a cake - but I would have been like - you couldn't have made a nobake Jell-O Cheesecake - lol. Anyway HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY!

Hope everyone has a Wonderful Wednesday!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Good Afternoon everyone! Hope all are doing well.

I had my consultation with the plastic surgeon yesterday. I really like him alot. He's going to submit all my stuff to the insurance company and doesn't think there will be an issue getting it approved. He's planning on taking off 2.5 pounds and taking me down to a D cup (From a J to a D!). I'm shooting for the beginning of April to get it done....hopefully I'll be ready to resume some normal activity by Summer by then. I'm looking forward to being able to buy shirts that button instead of stretch! LOL
Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #134
Junior LCF Member

Jazlyn - a vegetable oxo cube is vegetable stock (like bouillon maybe?)
And happy belated birthday! I hope you enjoyed the cake

Just had my last exam today (i'm in my fourth year of doing a Masters in Engineering at uni) and I'm exhausted. Got up at 4:30am to study and once it was over, all i could think about was carbs!! I think the lack of sleep is making me crave them. Managed to stay strong, treated myself to some garlic cream cheese and smoked salmon instead. Feeling really rubbish though, hopefully will feel well enough tomorrow to go to the gym!

I made a massive amount of soup today to store in the freezer for quick meals. My cooking method involves chucking things in the blender until it tastes nice! I tried to get all the things with good reputations in there - tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, garlic, ginger, chillies! It will be like my very own diet drink! It tasted great so I'm thinking it will be easier to get back into fast-paced real life (back to lectures and project work) with quick meals. I don't want to fall off the wagon just because I don't have time to make something healthy.

I'm going home at the weekend which means my mum trying to tempt me with treats! That's going to be fun trying to resist!

Hope you are all doing well and staying strong.

Raven - it must be such a relief to finally be getting the surgery. I bet you can't wait! I have got quite a big chest at the moment (an F) but it's all fat and when i'm skinny, I have almost no boobs! For me, it's the only good thing about being fat!

I have also started reading my old Oxygen magazines (it's American so you may have heard of it) which are great for motivation and recipes (although not so much if, like me, you are avoiding sweeteners). I love to look at how toned those women are and imagine myself like that! I want to get some muscle to increase my metabolism!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kitnmom
Stats: 235/198/160ish again
WOE: Atkins, Love that man!
Start Date: September 15, 2003
I am starting again too! I was so excited to see some of my old friends are back/still here. It had been a long journey, and we are still going! Heres to us for not giving up!
kitnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Kitnmom glad you are joining us.Sarah good luck on your exam.I'm boob heavy too I wear a I or sometimes a J cup.Jazlyn Happy Belated Birthday.Hi Monica,Raven ,Teresa,Melissa,Lyn,Liz.I'm the night owl of the group,but I don't come on every night like I use to,this winter weather is bad on my back and my knees.Hopefully 2 more months and the weather will get warmer.I'm struggling again staying on plan,but I just get right back up and start again,I have talked to my pastor about counseling with his wife who is a doctor and him.I think I need to get a new mindset to my eating issuses.And I'm posting this asking for your opinons please.I feel like with all the pain I go thorough daily,food just can't taste better than my mobilty ,my health and my life.I love eating low carb but fall off the wagon.Sorry to vent and bother yall with my problem,I'm just praying now to work it out,I want to move ahead instead of back and forth.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:41 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Winifred, I think that is a wonderful idea. I believe a big part of this is mental. It seems like I have to be in the right mindset to stay on plan.

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone.

Sarah, awesome job staying on plan!

Hi Ktnmom! Raven, good luck on your surgery. I'm sure you will be much happier.

It's 3 am and I woke up to let the dog out and my daughter is making cupcakes. She goes to bed too early and then gets up wayyyy too early. lol I need good thoughts. I can hear the cupcakes calling my name already.

Last edited by Jazlyn; 01-24-2013 at 03:42 AM..
Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Back away from the cupcakes Jazly! LOL - Stay strong!

That has to be hard - I'm the only cook in my family and the buyer of the groceries - so it is much easier for me.

I did go to the Golden Corral last night - but managed to stay on plan which is amazing for me!

Hope everyone has a great Thursday!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #139
Junior LCF Member

Winifred - I think anything is worth a try. You have to always remember why you are doing it and when those carbohydrates come calling, tell them to go away because you are stronger than they are! You always get back on the plan which shows you ARE so strong. I lost a load of weight last year and then just put it right back on and more within 6 months. You are doing amazingly to keep getting back on the plan and don't forget how far you have come.

I don't know how many artificial sweeteners you consume (if any) but I found that the first and only thing EVER to stop me binging on sugary food was completely cutting out sweeteners. I used to drink tonnes of diet pepsi which I now realise was what caused me to binge constantly. It was hard and it still is - every drink and protein supplement seems to have them in, but I'm used to just drinking water now. If anyone is having problems with cravings, I would recommend just trying to avoid sweeteners. I thought it was a load of rubbish that they made you crave sugar but apparently i was wrong!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #140
Junior LCF Member

Also, I lost 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks, wooooo!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks.Good job Sarah on your loss.I mainly drink water,when I want something sweet I drink some zero calorie sparkling water from walmart.I guess I drink about 6oz.maybe once or twice a day.Some days just water.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjw View Post
Also, I lost 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks, wooooo!
Great Job Sarah!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

It's snowing like crazy here! I'm fortunate enough to be able to telework when the weather is crappy.

Hubby and I had to go pick his Jeep up today after some major repairs were completed. We could have bought a used car with what we spent on fixing his but it's only got 90k miles on it and it's a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. But I had an ephiphany when I was getting dressed...I had on a pair of jeans and was going to wear a thick wool sweater but wanted a long sleeved t-shirt on so I didn't end up scratching myself because of the wool. I tucked my shirt into my jeans and put on a belt and did a double take in the mirror. I haven't tucked my shirt on in YEARS and I looked good...made me VERY happy!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

WTG Raven. That is wonderful. I bet you feel great.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #145
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Dag nabbit, I broke down and joined Weight Watchers . . . again for the umpteenth time. Although, I haven't belonged in quite a number of years nor have I done it LC. I am not too keen on counting points and so on, but I will give it a try. I figured if I paid $$ and weighed in weekly for accountability, it would help me get going.

Has anyone on here done WW doing LC?
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

I haven't. I know several people who swear by weight watchers. They have kept the weight off too. I think it sounds like a good idea.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #147
Blabbermouth!!!

It is a sheet of ice here and we didn't go anywhere this morning, may churches cancelled. So, we packed and hauled boxes from the basement to the main floor. My knees and body ache too.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Vli and Raven sorry you are having bad weather,its 49 here.Have a good Monday everyone.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Monday Winifred! How is everyone doing?

We got a sheet of ice on Friday and then snow on Sunday. Nice avalanche weather. Im worried about my family snowboarding now. We have had to leave our faucets dripping so the pipes don't freeze. We are supposed to get a phone call when we can stop but for now it's drip..drip..drip. It's driving me crazy. I'm not excited to see my water bill. We are getting another storm tonight and our furnace is going out. It makes a horrible noise. I am hoping it will hold on until we get our tax refund. And I'm hoping we get a tax refund. lol

I'm doing terrible with my eating. My daughter keeps making goodies. Yesterday it was shortbread cookies.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #150
Blabbermouth!!!

Jaz, thank goodness I am the only one who bakes or cooks in my household. I just have to remember not to bring it into the house, or keep it out of sight.