Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Be My Valentine 2013 Challenge!!! We Can All Do This!!! come Join Us!!!

Come join us on the Be My Valentine 2013 Challenge!!!!! Think of the amazing things we can accomplish in two months!!! The rules are: No Rules! Feel free to join during any stage of this challenge!!!

Pick your own personal challenge based on whatever is important to you! and come report in whenever it suits you. Some will have a specific weight loss as a goal and some of us will have goals based only on desirable behaviors. A goal could be as simple as coming in to post .. Think outside the box. What do **you** need to keep you going?

We Can Do This

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondie302
Stats: 305/254.4/180
WOE: LC - 20 grams per day
Start Date: March 6th, 2012
My Valentines Day goal is to be at 240 lbs and *keeping fingers crossed* be within one month of my surgery date.
Blondie302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Thanks for starting us off, Mary!

Two months is a good time frame for ONE specific goal--my biggest challenge:

To maintain with a plan that eliminates my pattern of 'overeating/damage control.'

I've made some progress is controlling my tendency to compulsively overeat periodically, and I want to really gain more control of this. I've read enough about the psychology of 'why' this happens to have developed ways to deal with it, but knowing and doing are two different things. During this Challenge, I want to focus on DOING.

I will continue my practice of assessing progress on a weekly basis.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
For this challenge, I am going to make it a specific behavior.. and, I will state it in the positive (because what I want to do is stop stuffing myself with food until uncomfortable):

I will be my own best loved Valentine by nourishing my body with just enough high quality healthy food to reach satiety. I love feeling comfortable and nourished!
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sk8termom
Stats: 291/280/170
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2014
Hi! Can I join? Trying to keep under 30g carbs per day. Working out at my new fitness club at least 12x per month so my company will reimburse me for the cost. Hopefully some lbs and inches lost as well.
sk8termom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone and

I have been thinking about what goals I would like to make for this challenge. The poem "How do I love me? Let me count the ways" (my chg from thee to me) is giving me the inspiration that the goals are ways to love myself in a positive way, afterall, this challenge is about being my Valentine.

1. I will set the weight goal at 165 lbs as I only seem to lose 1/2 lb a week on average by staying on plan, writing it down and measuring portions. Planning and preparing have worked well in the past, so I am sticking with it. I love what I eat and have no plans to change it. It averages to 1200-1300 calories a day, 70 net carbs, 50% Fat, 30% Protein, 20% Carbohydrates.

2. Continue walking 10,000 steps a day and visit the gym 3-4 times a week after work. Jan-Feb-Mar I have mandatory OT at work and I need to go to the gym before I get home or it won't get done.

3. Continue decluttering, now that my bedroom is done, I am going to work on my home office area, sorting through the books and book cases and donating &/or dumping things no longer needed. This decluttering makes me feel lighter spiritually.

4. Attend a live weekly support meeting that will allow me to share my story and help others who have a similar journey.

5. Start planning some home repairs for the spring time. I procrastinate and need to make some phone calls to get the ball rolling.

6. Try yoga and meditation. Pray. For me these things intercept. My doctor says it helps feelings of stress and this time at work will be stressful.

Last edited by MaryMary; 01-01-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Old 01-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/322/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Happy New Year ~ Had lots of fun at our party although I drank too much

Been thinking about my goals for this challenge and I will report back after work.

Mary ~ Thanks for starting a new thread and on the new low weight!

Leo

Blondie & Sk8termom ~ Looking forward to getting to know more about you both.

Judy ~ Great goal.
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Valentine Goals - I've decided that I'm going to continue the goals that I have been working on in order to achieve them 100% of the time and create new healthy habits.

1. Exercise (park farther away from the entrance to get in extra steps)
2. Eat Slower (appreciating the taste and flavors of the food)
3. Breathe Deeper
4. Plan Meals
5. Report weekly on the above goals
Old 01-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Hi, ladies! I'm in for this one as well.

By Valentine's Day, my main goal is to be at least 1 lb below my current low, so at least 183. I have been bouncing around between 186 and 188 for several weeks now, so I want to stop the bouncing and get back to losing.

Secondary goal - finish decluttering my living room. It's almost there, just have a little ways to go...
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Thursday ~ Just returned from a walk at lunch

Still having a hard time staying "focused" about work ... need a swift kick in the arse.

Vilya ~ Great goals
Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Friday

Hope everyone is good
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Happy Saturday, at least, it was in the high 30's today, good walking weather.
I went to the Fashion Bug as the stores are all closing. They had a few things but for the most part, not anything I was super insterested in. I bought a black dres ($15) marked down from $60 that had a black lace overlay on the sleeves in a size large. It fit good. I tried in a couple mediums and they fit but were snug, so I passed on them. They were selling all the fashion bug grocery bags for 45 cents ea. i bought 4 of those bags.

I got my hair done today, roots and styled. Love it.
Ran lots of errands, paid some bills, and played on my Ipad.

Sleep with the angels! Nighty nite!

Last edited by MaryMary; 01-05-2013 at 08:51 PM..
Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Hi girls - just checkin' in. I hope you are all well! MaryMary - I use to love Fashion Bug when I lived in Chicago! I haven't seen one in years though.. I'm sure you look great in your new dress!

This is my "journal" for the day:

Been busy ‘getting’ stuff done’ which feels good. I’ve been eating LC and can happily report that I am back in the groove after several weeks of not exactly paying attention to proper nourishment. Haha, what an understatement – it just sounded better than ‘pigging out’! I plan to weigh myself for the first time in about a month tomorrow, I will change my stats accordingly and will be off and running until the next fork (haha – pun intended) in the road -my all-inclusive vacation to Cancun on Feb. 6th.

One of my goals was to be alcohol free (especially at home) starting January 2nd which I have not been. I’ve cut way down from the holiday season party mode though, so I am pleased that I didn’t continue to partake in that behavior until the Monday after the holiday season (that would be tomorrow). I just have to keep it out of the house. There is one remaining bottle of white wine in the fridge and that is it! I’m just not buying it.

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
Old 01-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday afternoon already

Finally have Christmas almost all gone and although DH loves the house being back to normal ~ I my Christmas treasures.

Lots of exercise yesterday with shovelling snow while DH was at work.

Mary ~ Your new dress and hair sound GREAT, maybe you should post pictures wearing it and your new hair?

Judy ~ 1 month until Cancun
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Cindy, that means I wouldhave to put makeup on and really dress up. One of these days I will put a new picture. Maybe come spring.

Hope everyone had a good week. I am still doing my 10,000+ steps a day. Today is day 51 walking it and not chewing s/f gum. Lost half pound this week.

We are beginning the real busy season at work. I have to stay focused on today and not project. Stay in the moment. Ohm! Peace and out...
Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #16
Senior LCF member

I didn't check in on Sunday because I saw my endo on Friday for one of my regular check ups, and my weight was fine (145--but it was later in the day when I tend to have water retention), and my labs were superb--he was ecstatic.

However, as I drove home, I was feeling the urges to overeat--but failed to recognize them. By the time I got home, they were overwhelming. The only good thing is that I refused to go out for junk, so although I ate far too much, it was all low carb--although I'm sure with the amount I ate, I exceeded my carb level for ketosis.

But I got right back to 'damage control,' and I'm hoping this will be my last 'episode' for this Challenge. At least, I no longer have to deal with the strain of being 'perfect,' since I've already lapsed
Old 01-07-2013, 03:38 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Leo, what are the feelings that you identify as urges to overeat? What messages were you telling yourself where it got to be overwhelming?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #18
Senior LCF member

Mary, Mary- I have a 30 min. drive home from my endo, and during the drive, I kept having thoughts about stopping to buy a treat. They were accompanied by a feeling of anxiety, which is always the prelude to compulsive overeating. Every time I rejected a thought, a new one surfaced, and my anxiety increased.

I managed to get home without stopping, but I didn't send myself the 'right' message, and (I think) congratulated myself too soon for having dodged the bullet. The 'right' message is to remind myself that I can eat whatever I want, anytime I want, BUT to evaluate my choices in light of my personal goals for weight management--AND my self-concept. It's that last point that usually stops the urges because I don't want to be a person who eats this way.

But I didn't play that tape, and I continued to think about eating. Late in the afternoon, I decided to 'treat' myself to some wine (which I never have except with a restaurant meal--when I'm not driving). But I had an opened bottle because a friend visited a couple of days ago, so I decided that a glass of wine would be a 'harmless' treat.

After two glasses of wine, I was ravenous, and that's when the eating frenzy took over. Of course, I should have known better because one glass is always my limit, so I suspect that I had that second glass to alleviate the tension of the impending binge. Studies show that's why most of us give in--we just want to end the tension and anxiety.

I know what I did wrong--not doing the correct 'self talk' that I know works AND having more than a single glass of wine--which always leads to eating disaster for me.

The only good thing about this scenario is that it was easy for me to reject the idea of going to the store for some ice cream or other junk food. I know better than to ever get behind the wheel when I've had even one glass of wine.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

WOW Leo, kudos for knowing yourself so well! You must have really studied yourself to understand how your subconscious operates! It's hard to go deep within, but it sure looks like you have done that! I paid particular attention to the comment about the glass of wine helping the tension stemming from the impending binge.. Very interesting.. When I am staying alcohol free (I have a much higher tolerance than you since I am a daily drinker who wishes to stop being one) I will pay attention to my feelings and thoughts when I have a craving.

I'm feeling motivated today.. weighed myself and gained 5 lbs over the holiday season. That's not too much damage. I am glad I am nipping it in the bud and not giving up like I have done in previous years. I have my food planned for the day and all tracked, just had a good breakfast, and plan to be alcohol free.

Have a good day!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Leo, great post about your thought process. It's always interesting to hear how others get through times like those.

I've been doing much better since I've been logging my food again. I've managed to stay within my calorie goals and am holding steady with weight for now. I cut back on my carbs to less than 30, and after 2 days my ketostix have gone from "trace" to "moderate" color levels.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Monday & more snow ... good news is shovelling snow is good exercise

Surgery is scheduled for February 1.

Mary ~ I'm sure you would look great without makeup

Leo ~ on having a great appointment with an endo and being so "in tune" with your weight loss maintenance. Such an inspiration.

Judy ~ Glad that you are having a "motivated" day

Vilya ~
Old 01-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Hi folks!

I'm back and on track-- took a hiatus from Nov (birthday trip) through Dec (traveling for work, then holidays, now I'm sick).

But as you can see in my sig, on plan means losing weight for me!

My goal-- stick to my "rotations" (I do JUDDD, so I track calories, in addition to keeping moderately lower carb, which I do just for me) and not have any unplanned (key word) blowout days.

Thanks for reminding me about the group Cindy!

S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #23
Senior LCF member

Cindy- I just noticed that you're having surgery on 1 Feb. I hope it's not serious--although all surgery is something to be concerned about. I wish you well.

Be careful of the snow shoveling. When I was in my 40s, I wrenched my back shoveling snow and had problems for years as a result. That's my excuse for paying for snow removal now

I'm back on track after Friday's eating disaster, and this morning, I'm back to my health club. Between traveling for Christmas and bad weather (and laziness), I've missed two weeks and am really feeling the need to exercise these old muscles.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Did anyone read the story about the team of seniors - all women between the ages of 64 and 74 - who recently won the Senior Olympics in basketball. They travel the US playing against other senior women's teams. Oh, how I would love to see that.

Had a good long day. Had the late schedule today and didn't get home until 9:30 pm. Just finished my walking to get the last couple thousand steps.

Today is day 53 with no s/f gum and walking 10,000+ steps a day. I find myself walking at a faster pace probably from the tme spent on the eliptical and treadmill.

Last night I sauteed an onion, baby portobella mushrooms and a bag of chopped up kale with garlic and ginger. It was so good!

My DD is starting college in a couple weeks. She is so excited. At 34, she feels like life is opening up. We are happy for her.

My DS is changing jobs, packing up his home this week and next week, then he, his wife and four little boys are moving 1000 miles from where he currently lives to a town on Missouri. The folks he knows in his town where he is a police officer, are coming over on the day he packs the uhaul and are helping load the truck. The next day his wife's friends are coming to clean the house, then the rug cleaning crew are coming the Friday the truck will leave. In the new location, his boss wrote all his new coworkers and invited them to an unpacking party at the house they are renting until their old house sells. It is amazing at all the kindness and love there is in this world. We just don't hear about it often enough.

Have a good Wednesday!

Last edited by MaryMary; 01-08-2013 at 07:16 PM..
Old 01-09-2013, 01:56 AM   #25
Senior LCF member

Cindy- Is that like when they remove polyps during a colonoscopy? I ask because that doesn't involve any really invasive cutting, so there's no real 'effect' afterwards--except resting for the remainder of the day. Will it be the same for you? I hope so because I haven't experienced any problems at all with polyp removal from the colon.

Tomorrow I'm scheduled for a bone density test, and I'll finally learn if my strength training is helping in that area. Since I can't do most 'weight-bearing' exercise, I'm hoping this is a good substitute (as I've read it is).
Old 01-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Hi folks!

Mary-- that is really great to hear, there are for sure nice folks in the world!

Cindy-- polyps or fibroids? or is there a difference even? I have fibroids but they don't need to operate (yet?) and they face away, on the outside of the uterus, so they cause a bit of pain but are considered the "good ones to have if you're going to have them"
Wishing you well on the procedure!

Leo-- I'm interested to hear about your results. My mom also has bone density issues, and does non-traditional stuff, lots of walking, some low-weight exercises (after her hip replacement, she had to do some leg lifts with a bit of weight on), but mostly walking. She's getting an indoor pool (!), the kind with the current to swim against, in the spring.

I'm still sick-- we're on day 9 or 10, but I keep checking, and I know it's just a cold. I'm hoping no sinus infection (let's not talk about how I check for that ) but no fever, no chills, just never ending yuk.

However, I'm seeing the scale move down every other day, so I'm pretty happy there

Have a great day ya'll!
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

You guys, I'm struggling. Last night I truly lost control and ate about 1,000 calories within a half-hour. This was at 11:30 p.m. I haven't done something like that in probably 2 years. I wish I could figure out what is happening. Why I've done so well, so easily for over a year and now I'm having trouble. Self-sabotage? Feeling like I can't possibly be thin, it's too good to be true?

I will say that the only good thing about this is that I no longer even acknowledge the existence of carbs, so I'm not gorging on chips or ice cream or sweets. I think I've got the "no carb" thing in my brain far enough now. But I still cannot be eating 1,000 calories extra of anything! Not helpful.

I feel like I'm such a slave to the calorie count that maybe I'm rebelling against it by overeating. Like, "No one is going to tell ME how many calories I can have!" Except that's only hurting ME.

Maybe I need to stop focusing on weight LOSS right now and just maintain where I am for a while...
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #28
Senior LCF member

Vilya-
I was 'hard core' throughout my weight loss--and in maintenance, I again began experiencing the urges to overeat. As I've explained before, I've learned from reading that our bodies regard weight loss as a negative, so our "brain' begins to incite us to eat, and our hormones create appetite. We are hungry, but it's not true physical hunger. It's more like the hormonal hunger that often precedes TOM--and just as unbearable.

The only solution for me has been to try to understand what's happening and continue to count calories and carbs. I don't 'listen to my body' because I know that my body wants me to be fat again. If I know I've had sufficient calories for the day, then I address that 'hunger' with hot coffee or tea--or even some broth, but I try to avoid giving in.

It's not easy!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

No, it's not easy.

The broth is a great idea; I always forget about that. I think that would satisfy my "craving" for food.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Thursday ... not too excited that tomorrow is Friday because I'm working on Saturday. Getting back to work, meetings and events has been exhausting. I'm so tired.

Leo ~ I'm not sure, I had a considerable amount of pain and huge clotting, etc. after the last test which is why he is doing this procedure and he said it depends on many things but to prepare for the possibility of resting for a few days. Good luck with your test tomorrow.

Soren ~ Sorry you are still sick but awesome that it is resulting in weight loss. He said polyps and I have no idea about fibroids. Mine are inside. Thanks for the well wishes.

Vilya ~ I'm so sorry that you are struggling but as long as you are recognizing what is going on, I'm sure that you will work through it.