Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Century Club
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 05:36 AM   #91
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Cindy- At least everything you ate was on plan--that's progress.

That's what I've been trying to do on those days when my hunger seems so strong (hormones?). I may eat beyond my normal calorie limit, but I stick to fish, meat, or eggs. That tends to keep me somewhat under control. If I were to go for the 'bad stuff' (sweets, starches), it would be a disaster.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #92
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Hi everyone, I don't feel well today. Upset stomach and Diarhea. Worried about my DD. Emotional abuse by her BF if you can call him that. I pray he is gone soon. She just started college and he is making life unbearable for her. She isn't working and may need to find alternative living arrangements if she can't get him to move out. She is a grown up but last night on skype she was my little girl. My heart breaks that her heart is breaking. As a mom, how can I help? Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/320/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Things are looking up ... I'm back to only doing one job and yesterday was a way better food day

Really need to focus on my portion sizes.

Thanks Leo ~ I'm very thankful, I haven't had an "off plan" food binge in a long time.

Mary ~ Sorry you aren't feeling well and worrying about your DD. I wish I had some experience with this sort of issue. that things get better soon.
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #94
Senior LCF member

Cindy- Glad things are looking up for you--both at work and with food. I find that they go together--i.e., when I feel in control of my life, my eating is also good.

Mary- I hope your daughter's situation is resolved positively--she needs to get away from this guy. Unfortunately, in my experience there's nothing you can do because people in relationships often don't 'see' the problems the same way.

I was once involved with a man (not romantically; I worked with him and thought we were 'good friends'). He was emotionally abusive--and I didn't even notice; these people are often very subtle. Over time, I simply absorbed his abuse and my self-esteem plummeted. It took me quite a while to 'see' the problem, and I was amazed because I didn't think I could ever have been such a 'victim.'

I think that all you can do is be available to your daughter if she gets to the point where she seeks your advice and/or assistance.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #95
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, Cindy and Leo. I actually turned to orayer on Wed and turned the whole situation over to God to leave her in His care. Then I got a bit tough with her. My stomach was in knots Wed and she called like every hour at work. I finally told her she needed to get tough and figured out if she wanted college. She had been one day, then missed Tues and Wed because of this. She said she really wanted to go to college and told her to act like it. She had been crying over this guy for two weeks and he treated her like a kid he could order around. I told her we will support her thru college but we weren't paying for him to stay in the apt. If he can't be respectful, he can move out. They are both sick now with the flu. But she started to come around after that. I told her she needs to learn who she is and learn to love herself. Nobody is less than or better than anyone else. Last night I told her to write down 5 things to be grateful for. We are working on staying in the moment, not the past or the future but what we can do right now this moment. It has helped. She has started to refocus. He is still there. But she made some friends in school today. I am hoping as she gets into the college she will make friends and realize what a big, wonderful world there is. She may grow into the woman I know she is. She sounds unsure of herself. One day at a time we will work onfinding things we like about ourselves.

Anyway, I didn't eat over this which is key as eating wouldn't have fixed anything, and would have made me feel lousy. I am still fighting off a cold or bug, but because I eat healthy and had my flu shot, so far nothing serious has developed.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #96
Blabbermouth!!!

I actually picked up the phone today and called the nurse at the Mass General Plastic Surgery clinic in Boston. I made an appt for an evaluation for March 14 at 8:30 am. I will be seen by a team and they will decide what can be done and how long it will take. Boobs and arms are quoted at $6900. Neck and face lift 6250. Lipo can be costly but I am hoping they might be able to do some on the back and sides when they do the breast and arms. If I do it, the hope is for April.

Last edited by MaryMary; 02-01-2013 at 08:39 PM..
Old 02-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #97
Senior LCF member

This Challenge has been really quiet, and I wonder whether it's because others are struggling with their goal(s) as I am.

My goal is to try to eliminate my pattern of overeating/damage control, but I'm currently in my regular 'damage control' mode. Less than 2 weeks left, and I really haven't made much progress--but as my favorite philosopher, Scarlette O'Hara said, "Tomorrow is another day."
Old 02-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Hi folks!

I'm just catching up-- Mary, I think you did great handling all you have going on with your kids, supporting them, and not taking on those emotions yourself via eating. Well done! And I hope DDiL and DD get through these tough emotional times. Post-partum is nothing to sneeze at, so I hope she has people (you and others) who can check on her. I also recommend valerian tea, it might help her get some sleep which can help a lot as you mentioned.

Cindy-- how you doing? You're always SOOOOO BUSY!!!! I couldn't deal with your schedule!

Leo-- tomorrow is another day indeed!

I'm back from my trip, and while I did stick to my goals, it wasn't *how* I would've wanted to implement them... I got stomach flu on Tuesday night/Wednesday early morning. Puking and "gastric distress" shall we say.

Usually, my rule is-- puking = no work. But I was teaching the class solo, so I had to get myself together. Luckily, my boss, who hadn't planned on coming to the office, was checking on me regularly b/c I started the week with a new mini-cold... and she was able to come in to give me a couple hours, which then turned into the whole day when HER husband was able to pick up their kids etc...

So I left that day around 1pm, and just lay in my hotel room... eventually, had some pretzels (and yes, lots of fluids...).

THursday and Friday were better, but not by any means "well"... I'm just so glad to be HOME.

The only good thing to come out of the whole mess is that I'm down on the scale (even after plenty of high-carb bland foods and gingerale)...

I'm hoping that as I start to feel better, I don't gain anything back!

2 more weeks folks-- give it your all!
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi gang! Just a week left!

I'm down a bit on the scale... weighed 2x this morning (before and "after" ) but I got my new "decade" number and I'm happy about that.

I find that I have a new attitude about food (eat to live, not live to eat) and that while I do still really LOVE yummy things, and I don't want to waste the calories I do have to "spend" on useless things... I also have to be careful not to go too far the other way, in the "less is more" way of thinking... I want to eat delicious, nutritious food, and each time I "splurge" on on something like junk food, I am always disappointed. I'm starting to figure that out.

Anyway, yesterday was a low calorie day, and I chose to have a huge bowl of greek yogurt, with sf jam and some real honey, for dinner. It felt so decadent, but was healthy and on plan for me. Love days like that!

Hope everyone is doing well today!
s.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #100
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jeannine
I just joined can anyone tell me if I can drink diet coke
jeannine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #101
Senior LCF member

jeannine

I don't know how to answer your question because if you're just eating low carb, many people drink diet Coke.

I used to drink it myself at one time, but I've given up all sweeteners, especially artificial ones. It's actually a form of self-defense because I discovered that anything with a sweet taste stimulates my appetite and becomes a 'trigger' for overeatiing for me.

My advice (based on years and years of low-carb eating) is to just become aware of what works and doesn't work for you. There are no calories or carbs in diet Coke, but the chemicals involved can bother some people.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #102
Blabbermouth!!!

I drink diet coke once in a great while. I don't know if it's the caffeine or the chemicals but my lips feel numb after drinkng it. So I stick to teas, green and herbal
Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Only gained 1 pound from my episode on Wednesday.

Leo ~ I keep thinking of your eternal vigilence quote. I had saved it but do you think I can find it.

Mary ~ How are things going with your daughter?

Jeannine ~ Everything is kind of trial and error. I enjoy diet pop but I wish I didn't because I think it is probably really bad for me.

Hope everyone has a great day. Long weekend in BC "BC Family Day" .... I think the rest of Canada has a holiday next Monday.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi

We have the 18th off for "Family Day"... literally, a made-up holiday to give us a holiday in February b/c we didn't have one, and it's dark and cold... Hey, not complaining

Not much to report-- crazy!snow here. Had a weird day yesterday, tried something that did NOT agree with my blood sugar
People are saying, do it again, it gets better-- but I'm like, why bother?

So, back to normal today and the rest of the week!

S.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #105
Senior LCF member

Hi Cindy-
My 'motto' is something I just made up, and I'm not sure I say it the same way every time--it's something like "Eternal vigilance is the price of effective weight management." [I use the word 'management' from experience, as I find maintenance as challenging as weight loss.]

Hi Soren- We had the opposite issue here in the U.S.--too many February holidays! When I was growing up, we had separate 'days off'' for Washington and Lincoln on their February birthdays. They were eventually combined as "Presidents' Day," but then we added "Martin Luther King Day."

As you point out, it's a great time of the year to be 'off' because of winter weariness; it seems as though spring will never come and the cold and snow is exhausting.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Really struggling today .... my emotions are trying to get the better of me and feeling very weepy

Soren ~ Glad that you are back to normal, may I ask what you tried? It is funny that BC chose a different holiday day.

Leo ~ Thanks for the reminder .... I'm going to print and put on my calendar.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #107
Senior LCF member

Hi Cindy- I know how you feel. For those of us with 'food issues,' emotions can complicate our efforts. Please be good to yourself!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi

Cindy, I tried the "potato hack" that people have been posting about over in the JUDDD area. I think it came from various research on how cooked potatoes, cooled, have a different type of starch (regular, converted to "resistant starch" via cooking and cooling?) that doesn't affect blood sugar as much.
Only to be eaten (hot or cold) in the absence of fat or protein... so say a potato, naked but for salt and herbs, or with salsa...

given that on JUDDD, you count calories (more one day, less another) and not carbs (unless you want to... you can eat anything, just stick to your calories)... a bunch of people were trying this as a "hack" or shake-up to their regular menus.

So, I tried it, with hot potatoes, on a day when I hadn't really eaten anything else. Normally, i can go all day, have a snack around 3pm (veggies usually) and then dinner (lately, greek yogurt, huge serving).

Yesterday? I had a bit of snack, then thought I'd do the potato thing-- baked them, ate some around 7pm... and just about passed out around 11pm. Hot on my back, then woozy, weak in the legs, and HUNGRY... I ate every carby thing I could get my hands on, OMG.

I chose not to beat myself up over the slip, live and learn like I always say, and no punishment or recrimination today, just get on with things

So, no more of that "hack" for me (not for a long while, not with hot potatoes... no no no, bad bad... ymmv of course).

Um... so that's what I'm back on track from.

I also woke up CRAZY early (for me) today-- 5:30? tried to sleep till 6:30 but of no avail, and I've been up ever since... full of energy! Super weird

Looking forward to a normal, relaxing, quiet day tomorrow. And my yogurt...
Old 02-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #109
Senior LCF member

Soren-
I was tempted by that potato hack because I love potatoes but never eat them, as I'm extremely carb sensitive.

They are really promoted by a group over on Mark Sisson's Primal site, but I later read an analysis of how it works (I think it was Peter at Hyperlipid, but I'm not sure). In any case, the conclusion is that it would work for those people who have 'no metabolic issues' and who are not 'carb sensitive.'

This is what I suspected, and it confirmed that I could never do that. Most people who have been obese for much of their lives have the metabolic issues that make such a 'hack' impossible.

By the way, this single-food, starch diet reminds me that way, way back Duke University promoted a 'rice diet' for the extremely obese, and it gained popularity for a while. I suspect that it fell out of favor because, like this potato hack, it won't work for those with carb issues.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #110
Blabbermouth!!!

I have to agree with you Leo41. It wouldn't work for me either. I suppose if you ate only one food for the rest of your life, eventually you will eat less of it because you will be sick of it. If I had to pick one I would go with a beautiful medium rare grilled steak for the rest of my life.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Saturday .... today is going to be a good day and I'm not letting anything get in the way of being focused

Soren ~ Yes, I've been seeing lots about the potatoe thing. Sounds like your reaction was kind of scary.

Thanks Leo

Mary ~ I'm with you, give me steak over potatoes any day.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Our thread has been very slow

Happy Monday

It is a holiday "BC Family Day" and I have been enjoying relaxing before going shopping with DD.

Just checking out my goals for this challenge and I haven't been as successful as I would have liked ~ is the next challenge Easter?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Easter sounds good.
Not much to report here, I have to go into the office the next 3days... I'm on plan with eating, trying to get back to my sig weight.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:33 AM   #114
Senior LCF member

Cindy- I've been less successful with this Challenge because I'm still in my 'overeating/damage control' mode, and my sole goal was to deal with that and eat more moderately.

I've made a little progress by limiting my overeating to low carb (which is my standard WOE), and I found that 'recovery' is easier. Now I'm going to try what I did during weight loss--limit calories on a daily basis and allow myself to eat freely only on Sundays--still low carb but not restricting calories. That worked for me in the past.

Since Ash Wednesday is the 13th, Easter would be a good time frame for the next challenge. I never 'give up' anything for Lent; I try to be more positive, and this year, my aim is to make 'good choices' in eating 100% of the time. It's my attempt to keep the principles of Beating Overeating front and center in my mind--i.e., I can eat anything at any time--but I always try to make choices consistent with my personal goals and self-image.
I've found this approach really helpful, but it's something I need to continually reinforce until I 'get it' fully.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

WOW .... this has been a stressful day and it isn't over yet. Staying focused. I made some personal goals for the balance of February. NO s/f chocolate and to do a minumum of 15 minutes 4 x per week of this walking tape that I found. Much harder than I imagined it would be.

So far so good. Day 2 is just about done. My reward is to get a facial. I've actually set myself up with a bunch of short term rewards and see if that will help me stay focused.

Something has to help.

Soren ~ Still lots of snow? Is your office close?

Leo ~ I really like the idea of making 'good choices' in eating 100% of the time. Sometimes I almost feel powerless over my addiction to food which is kind of scary.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 AM   #116
Senior LCF member

Cindy- I know exactly what you mean about that 'powerless' feeling--and it is indeed scary. It's something I still deal with. I doubt that I'll ever be free of my 'food issues' (they have defined my life), but I want to be better at 'coping' with them. Baby steps---as with my weight loss, even though it's slow, there are eventually good results.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #117
Blabbermouth!!!

My daughter is doing a little better, making it to classes and learning a lot.

I know I am powerless once I take the first compulsive bite of food. I have to be vigilant too. At work I am in charge of the snack cart. They know I won't eat it so it is safe. One girl said I don't know how you do it and I said that so long as I don't eat the first piece, I am golden. I proved it to myself 18 months ago when I was eating bite after bite and gained back 32 lbs in 7 weeks. Initially, I overate on something as harmless as Greek yogurt, but I got off my routine and just like a pendulum, one thing led to another and before you know it, I was eating donuts hand over fist.

Easter sounds like a great date, it is 6 weeks and 4 days (40 days).

My goals for this challenge were to get to 165 lbs - and I am down to 162 lbs - good job!
Also wanted to keep walking 10,000 steps a day. I stopped walking when I started working an extra hour at work in the mandatory overtime from Jan to March.
I wanted to keep decluttering. It didn't happen.
I wanted to try yoga. I took one class.
I was going to go to a weekly support meeting. I went once. That was it. But I am working with someone, helping them get started on a low carb foodplan.
I also wanted to stop procrastinating. I did make some phone calls but have a long way to go.

So from a personal living perspective, There is a lot of room for improvement. The good news is that in 40 days the snow will be gone, flowers will be blooming and mandatory overtime will be done. Spring will be sprung!

Last edited by MaryMary; 02-13-2013 at 06:04 PM..
Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi!
Lots of snow piles here, but it is melting. Crazy weather coming, either rain or snow, depending on the temp.

I'll check on my goals tomorrow.
s.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #119
Senior LCF member

I'm like you, Mary. I'm OK if I don't take a bite at all. I find that total abstinence is easy; it's allowing myself the occasional 'indulgence' that's fraught with problems. It's a fine line for me between a 'treat' and overdoing it completely.

This Challenge I ended at 144, which is in my range, but not my goal--which was to be at least 142. That will be my goal for Easter--to get there, and stay in the lower range. I find that I can get there but then I just bounce back up to 144-45. When I was 270lbs and above, it anyone told me that 2-3 lbs would make a big difference to me, I'd say they were crazy. But at this weight, I honestly feel better (and different) at 142-43.

I've been decluttering, but not as consistently as I should. Right now, I have guys working in my house because I'm putting another bathroom in, and I have been inspired to think about how to deal with other rooms, so I want to really do more decluttering and organizing on this Challenge--finished by Easter.

With these goals in mind, my overarching goal will be "to make good choices for me on a daily basis"--i.e., choices that will address my goals.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This was my goal:
My goal-- stick to my "rotations" (I do JUDDD, so I track calories, in addition to keeping moderately lower carb, which I do just for me) and not have any unplanned (key word) blowout days.

I stuck to that goal!

I'm down from the start of January, overall, which I'm happy with. Having a slow February, but I know that if I stick to my plan, I'll be fine.

I like Leo's goal of making good choices on a daily basis. Very sane!

I can't control the scale, but I can control my own behavior, which should result in the scale moving down, my clothes fitting better, better health (knock wood) etc.

Do we have the new link yet? whoever starts, please post the link back here

Thanks,
S.