Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #61
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Glad you could join us, Tabbytru...
Have you decided on a particular low carb food plan, such as Atkins, The Zone, Paleo or one of the others? It helps to have an outline of a plan regardless of which one. For example, outline breakfast, lunch, dinner and if there will be 1, 2 or 3 snacks. My daughter, for example, eats 6 meals that are 200-250 calories each. That might breakdown
Breakfast - 2 oz protein (cheese, dairy, egg or meat/fish), 1/2 cup fruit
Snack 1 - 2 oz protein, 1/2 cup veggies (raw or cooked)
Lunch - 2 oz protein, 1/2 cup cooked veggie, small salad, 1 tbsp dressing
Snack 2 - 2 oz protein, 1/2 cup raw
Supper - 2 oz protein, 1 cup cooked veggie, 1 cup raw, 2 tbsp fat ( olive oil or butter, etc)
Snack 3 - 2 oz protein

If you eat only 4 times, you rework it. If you do Atkins, you might eat less cooked veggies initially. I personally eat 3 times a day.

I found it helpful to initially write everything down, like a food journal, whether it was on plan or not, so I could see what patterns I had. I made a list of foods that were foods that got me in trouble and kept it ion the side of the fridge to remind myself that I don't eat those. I had a list of bridge foods, these were foods that although not really bad themselves, once I started eating them, many times it led to something that would get me in trouble.

I read a book, called "Habits not Diets" and it helped me sort out the whole mess.

When I first started, I did Atkins, and ate all the protein I wanted with a big bowl of lettuce at lunch with dressing. I had so much to lose, I had the luxury. It wasn't until I got to about 270 lbs that I needed more structure. That's when I switched to a 3 meal a day routine.

Going shopping, I always eat first, enter the store with a shopping list that is a result of planning out some meals for the week. What are your top three favorite breakfast, lunches and dinners? Once you know what you like, you can tweak them to make them low carb.

We will be happy to help you sort it out even though we all do different variations of the same theme (low carb). Join the journey!

Last edited by MaryMary; 01-15-2013 at 06:49 PM..
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nomorepepsi
Stats: 250/243/135
WOE: Modified Greysheeters
Start Date: January 2013
Hi, Cindy,

Sorry for my delayed response... I had to finagle with my computer a bit... I was afraid that somebody phished my account O the Internet, the perfect place to lose your privacy!

On a more positive note, I spoke to the editor of a trade magazine I want to write for... he likes my writing samples, and wants to see my resume I'm revising that... I lost nine pounds since the beginning of my plan, and I definitely feel more clear-headed and less sleepy in the middle of the day...

I just might write that Great North American novel!

Behlor
nomorepepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/320/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Deb ~ cruising. Feel better soon. You don't want to be sick on your holiday. I like lemon with sweet n low.

Mary ~ Glad that things went well at your Dr's appt and with first day with new mgr.

Tabbytru ~ Looking forward to getting to know you. This is a GREAT group. Watch for hidden sugar .... it is in so many things.

Soren

Leo

Behlor ~ Computers can be scary. Pretty exciting that you have made contact with the editor
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Hey gang! Today, I see the Dr for my cough. I'm thinking it's maybe a low-grade sinus infection, b/c I mostly cough when it drips... TMI? sorry... Anyway, I'm almost done guessing, will see him/her (not my regular dr., I said give me anyone) at 1pm today.

Yesterday was a sample of what NOT to do on my plan-- I forgot DH was coming home late, so I didn't plan dinner properly, and wound up eating a bit too much, and too late.

Today I have a slight gain on the scale, but I'm sure it's just water, so I'll suck it up, learn my lesson about meal planning, and move on.

I'm just trying not to over-react today, and have a properly planned day today (as opposed to eating too little to make up for yesterday).

Anywhoo-- live and learn
s.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #65
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Soren- I hope the doctor has a solution for you. Often we need an antibiotic to just knock the thing out.

As to the gain, I rarely eat late, but anytime I do, it guarantees a 'tick' up on the scale. It's a 'false gain' because it goes away soon--so that's one of the many reasons I don't weigh daily.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Leo! It's a good tip to remember. I only weigh after "down days" (on JUDDD, you have days of higher calories and days of lower calories), so I usually don't see the fluctuations as much, but I sort of set myself up for a fail on that one.

Anyway-- back from the Dr-- I posted a thread about it, but long and boring story short-- I don't have the flu, and she didn't give me anything for the cough.
I'm basically pretty ok actually-- ears ok, throat's not bad, lungs sound ok, no wheezing.

She said gargle with salt water, and take a spoon of honey before bed for the cough. I swear! She laughed, and said we're going back to old-school remedies b/c they work.

She did give me a steroid nasal spray, to help with the dripping.

So, since I'm ok with some honey (my plan is more about calories than carbs, though I try to keep them lower), I bought 3 kinds , and will try the Manuka tonight, since I"ve heard good things about it in a healing way.

ttyl!
S.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Deb-B
Stats: 301/301/190
Day four of induction for me, as no cheats or slip-ups yet. I find it amazing how I can tell when my body 'clicks' onto a certain way of eating and just drives itself. No cravings, not feeling deprived in any way... it's great. Being sick probably helps since I have next to no appetite.

Soren: I can sympathize with you... I've moved on to the non-stop coughing spells and nasal drip. *yuck* I've been having steam showers every morning and night to try and stop the coughing, and it somewhat works. I figured that's what they suggest for young children, so I'm trying it... besides, it gives me an excuse to go sit in a hot bath every night. Hope you (and I!) feel better soon. BTW... if you can find it... try eucalyptus honey... very yummy and works really well on a cold!

One more day until the weekend! Yay! No, I don't 'work', I just miss my son now that he is in school during the day.

Deb
Deb-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Deb! Congrats on the induction success!

I had a spoon of Manuka honey last night, and slept pretty well. I did get up coughing 1x, so I had some more, and slept till morning. Way better than the previous 3 nights.

I'm doing hydrasense (sinus cleansing) in the mornings, and now the Dr. gave me nasonex (steroid nasal spray) to use 2x a day, and I think that's helping with the drip too.

I'm feeling better today overall, woo! Just in time for a lower calorie day, so off to have my first cup of tea now

Happy Friday ya'll!
S.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Friday ~ working again this weekend.

Scale has rewarded me with a 2 pound loss this week. 1 pound of new weight and 1 pound of the weight gained at Christmas.

Also, it has been 7 days without caving to the sugar/free chocolate monster.

Had to cover for one of my staff yesterday at a job I don't normally do with lots of moving, lifting, standing, etc. and I can feel it today.

Soren ~ I'm glad that there wasn't anything serious wrong and that you are feeling better today.

Leo

Deb ~ Feel better soon.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

Sounds like everyon is on the mend. I haven't been sick like everyone else, except that I feel it is trying to take hold of my voice box. I have been losing my voice a bit.

My daughter and I figured out how to use Skype tonight. We can now video chat. I had problems getting into it, so we tried to use AOL Live Messenger but that was not very user friendly, so then we tried hotmail, and got stuck with their messenger which apparently got merged with Skype so after 30+ minutes, we finally got back to Skype through hotmail live messenger. It will save us minutes on our tracfone minutes.

She has everything all set to start college in two weeks. She is 34 and will be a freshman, got some grant money, state tuition, so she only had to come up with $500 for the remainder of the tuition and books. Next semester, they said she will be eligible for free books too. When you are a student, there are times it is good to be poor. We are going shopping for school supplies tomorrow. This the experience I wish she had had 17 yrs ago, there is a season for everything and this is her time.

I seem to be hooked on making smoothies with 1/2 cup soy milk, 1/2 oz protein powder, a mix of strawberries, cranberries, pineapple, oranges. I have it in the morning with a bowl of TVP, 1/2oz protein powder, 1/2 cup soy milk and the same fruit above w/ apple bits.

Tmorrow I am splurging and having a 1/2 cantelope and a jumbo egg, and a smoothie without fruit. I am goign to make me a caphai drink that foams with chai tea, protein powder, soy like and ice. Yummo!

When I was video chattung with my daughter and I could see what My neck looks like, it makes me feel that I want to get some plastic surgery on my neck. After taking off 210 lbs, i kept hoping it would go back but I am a realist. It has lost it shrinkableness. So that will be my treat this year, a face list, boob life,some lipo and maybe a bonus of the upper arms. It mike take two go round under the knife. 1/2 and 1/2 three weeks later, so all in all I would only miss 6 weeks of work. Has anyone gone that route?

Last edited by MaryMary; 01-18-2013 at 08:27 PM..
Old 01-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Mary ~ That is so exciting that your daugher is going to college? What is she taking? Also exciting that you have decided to have surgery.

Happy Saturday everyone
Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Mary,

You'll look fabulous... I used to be a hard-core feminist about cosmetic surgery (had my copy of The Beauty Myth and everything!) However, I now believe that a nip and tuck can do wonders for some people.... show us pic of the results... but choose a legit doctor, please? This is serious work... Behlor
Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Cindy, nice work with the 2 lbs.!

Haven't checked in a little bit. I'm doing well, went down just a tick (about 1/4 lb.), but any downward movement is welcome.

I really, really have to incorporate more exercise if I'm to keep losing. It's just hard to make myself do it.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #74
Senior LCF member

Weekly goal report-

I weighed on Friday because I knew I wouldn't want to weigh this morning (explanation follows), and I was at a 'new low' of 142. The lower scale number always inspires me to want to 'hold onto' it, and I'm hoping to manage that despite this weekend.

I had a house guest (old friend passing through) who arrived on Friday evening and just left this morning. In two days, I had 4 restaurant meals! Although I ate carefully and low carb, it's more food in volume than I normally eat. Today my family is visiting, and that will mean another restaurant meal.

Since I normally calorie cycle, a few higher calorie days aren't a disaster, although it's not a good idea to get on the scale after restaurant, higher calorie eating. Tomorrow I'll cycle to lower calories--and I'm hoping that by my next weigh in, I'll have retained that 142.

My other goal is to eliminate my urges to compulsive overeating, and I say (with fingers crossed) that my 'mental control' seems stronger in recent days. Since these urges come when I least expect them, I'm just hoping that I've found the right 'mindset' to deal with them. Time will tell.

So far, I'm making progess on this Challenge, and that's inspiring to continue the hard work. My motto is that 'eternal vigilance is the price of effective weight management, and I need to stay vigilant and not get complacent.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Sunday ~ Feeling a bit sorry for myself because I'm working again. My employee is still sick which means that I will have to cover her again tomorrow, meaning I don't get any of my own work done.

Consequently last night, I had a few bites here and there about things that I wouldn't normally be having which really annoys me

Slugging the water today and attempting to feel gratitude for all of the great things in my life.

How are things going Behlor ?

Thanks Vilya

Leo ~ love your motto
Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #76
Blabbermouth!!!

Hello everyone, Patriots lost tonight! Boohoo! It will be the 49ers against the Ravens in the Superbowl. We will be routing for SF.

I did lots of cooking today. And lots of surfing on theinternet. Not much else.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #77
Senior LCF member

Yes, I'm rooting for SF, too.

I like Joe Flacco, but my problem with the Ravens is all this hoop-la over Ray Lewis's retirement. It's being played up too much, IMO. He may be a great football player, but he has not been very 'great' in his personal life, and I don't think of him as any kind of 'inspiration' for young people. Just too much fuss over someone not worthy of the attention, from my perspective.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi ya'll!

Well done on figuring out Skype and on deciding on the surgery Mary! It will be a tough but rewarding process, and after losing 200+ lbs, you deserve it!

I'm back down to my sig weight, after that gain the other day... Well done Cindy on evicting that weight too!

Eternal vigilence Leo!

My new thing is trying to lower my calories a bit overall, and see how I do. Small changes, but as I lose weight, I have to get used to a bit less.

Happy special Monday!
Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Deb-B
Stats: 301/301/190
I love the first week of induction Down 7lbs over the past week... largely a reduction in bulk and water I suspect, but I will take it... it is motivating if nothing else!

But now starts the week of cravings. I'm feeling better, my appetite is back, and I am starting to feel the urge to grab onto the 'quick and easy' stuff. I need to get out and get some more interesting groceries in the house... or at least defrost some meat so that I find it easier to make up a meal! Loving re-discovering some of my old favourite meals though!

Has anyone else tried making hot cocoa out of almond milk and splenda? Any good? I'm thinking that might be a way to help control my chocolate craving...

Deb
Deb-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Monday ~ Had a good day, other than I'm tired and my back is sore. Another day tomorrow of covering for someone else .... I'm really not sure where I'm going to find the time to get caught up

Mary ~ Sorry that your team lost.

Leo ~ Also on the SF cheering team!

on being back to your signature weight Soren

Deb ~ 7 lbs in one week is awesome! Look forward to hearing if you find something that curbs chocolate cravings.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi folks!

Deb-- I like the unsweet chocolate almond breeze, I find it tastes just like storebought chocolate milk (and you could add some flavor to it or whatever). So that plus splenda, heated, would be lovely.

On Atkins, you could add some heavy cream to that, to give it more texture. Just make sure to count the carbs in the cream, and not overdo it

Also, unsweet cocoa powder (such as Fry's, or president's choice has a house brand in a black tin now) is quite low in carbs, and so you could add that to deepen the flavor, or experiment on your own with cream, cocoa, water, and plain almond milk... remember to add a pinch of vanilla and a tiny bit of salt-- it will bring out the chocolate-ness!

I have a recipe somewhere for a OMM (egg, creamcheese, sweetner) that I had added some cocoa and flax meal too-- great texture, very chocolatey, and warm/filling. That got me through a lot of LC days

How you guys doing Cindy, Mary and Leo?

I'm down a bit more-- I think maybe it was time to lower my calories a bit. I'm also not eating out quite as much, not eating dinner too late... basically just following my plan as written and not doing wacky things

That said: I have another business trip to CA coming on Sunday for about a week (return late Friday night).

Here's my challenges and how I plan to face them:

1) stick to my "rotations" of high/low calories days. Plan-- we have planned nights out with various groups. I asked if these could be on my "up" days (without saying as much), so now I'm only going out for dinner on days where my calorie alotment allows it. Less temptation on my low calorie days!

2) I have a list of what to buy for my kitchen (it's a residence inn) for my low calorie days (dinner) and breakfast for the other days. If I stick to the list, I should be on track, and have my palate satiated with foods that work for me at home. I also bring a small kitchen scale.

3) the only challenge I haven't quite figured out-- *if* i'm lucky enough to get upgraded on my flight home-- that falls on a low calorie day. I'm prone to snacking on the plane, and if I'm in business class, they bring food and it's almost impossible for me to say "no".
My current solution for this-- that will be my only meal that day, and I won't eat the high calorie culprits-- nuts, cheese, pasta... I'll choose a lean meat and veggie option, and I think I'll be ok.

Lots of "ifs" above, but for me, it's all about planning and contingency planning and a backup plan and ....

As Leo says: eternal vigilence!

I'll try to check in again before I leave!

S.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Had a long rough week .... eating good. Tonight my eating is good, but I've been drinking some wine

Soren ~ Love reading about how you are planning for your trip and on losing
Old 01-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #83
Senior LCF member

Cindy- I love an evening glass of wine, but I've discovered that it's a 'bridge' to overeating. I have such a low tolerance that even one glass will do it; I seem to lose all control.

So I'm now very careful and usually only have a glass of wine with a restaurant meal. However, the last time I did that, I found myself ordering dessert! [It was delicious

It's always something. . . .
Old 01-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #84
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Soren, When I travel, I plan my meals and bring them with me. So long as they are liquids, i am allowed to bring them on the plane. That way I am never at life's mercies. Good luck with the new plan.

We received good news this week. My son and his wife and four little boys (oldest 6), moved Saturday as I mentioned. Their old house had an open house on Sunday and sold on Tuesday for $1100 more than the asking price so they will be able to close on Mar 4th. He set up his payment schedule with the student loan dept. only to find out he will have no payment because his income is so low, and once he works 10 years as a civil servant, his student loans will be forgiven. He just took out the last bit of student loan money and it will give him a $4400 cushion. He turned in the final copy if his thesis for his Master's Degree and will receive his degree on Feb 15 with a 4.0 for his master's program. We are very proud and happy at the outcome.

The only difficulty is that his wife is suffering from postpartum depression and needs all the prayers and good vibes from God and the Universe to heal her. She misses her old home tremendously. The rental they are in is not home yet and there is much unpacking. She can't sleep at night and this doesn't help. As we all know we need a certain amount if sleep and without it, the depression doesn't improve. My son had to start his new job on Wed and will need to go to a training for a week out of town at five different intervals and she is worried about managing on her own with the four little ones. She doesn't really know anyone yet. She called me last night. We talked. All I can do being 1000 miles away is pray. Please pray too for her speedy recovery.

Anyway, one more day of work today. Have a good one!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Today is a new day and I'm thankful that the scale stayed the same.

Leo ~ Last night, the wine didn't lead to food. Only having one glass while out sounds like such a GREAT idea.

Mary ~ Great news about your son and saying a few for DIL.

Happy Friday
Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #86
Senior LCF member

Good for you, Cindy, that the wine didn't lead to food.

I was just sharing my own weakness for overeating after I've had a little wine. I used to enjoy a glass of wine in the early evening, but it leaves me too vulnerable to start looking for snacks [sigh].

Mary- My own experience with airplane travel is that I can bring food easily (usually nuts, sometimes a protein bar), but no liquids get through security. If I want a bottle of water to bring on the plane--or any other liquid--I have to buy it after I clear security.

The last time I flew, I arrived at the airport really, really thirsty for some reason, so I went to a small cafe just inside the terminal to buy a bottle of water. The counterman was trying to be helpful and kept insisting that I NOT buy it because I would not be able to take it through security. I had to repeat 3x--"I plan to drink it all RIGHT NOW" before he would let me purchase it.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

I agree Leo .... generally wine or any sort of alcohol leads to eating things that I shouldn't.

I am working so much that I can barely keep my head above water .... feeling incredibly stressed. Just received a text that the girl is still sick, she did go to the dr and he said that it is a terrible flu and might be as long as another week
Old 01-27-2013, 04:11 AM   #88
Senior LCF member

Sorry you're overworked, Cindy. I remember how stressful that can be from the 'olden days' when I was working. It's much worse when you don't know how long it will last.

I hope things ease up for you soon.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Hi, Cindy,

Life's been tumultuous over the last week or so... had to go to the hospital briefly, the food was horrible! White rice, nasty chicken, Smart Balance, and bread dyed brown... I feel much better now... just had chicken and asparagus stir-fry for lunch -- low-carb, naturally -- and I feel much better... I sent a query to the Wall Street Journal Magazine, so I hope to get a response in the next month... I also got a good deal on chicken legs... I went to this African halal store here in the Bronx, and bought two pounds of chicken legs for 69 cents per pound! Now I need some low-carb recipes to go with my discovery...

How's your week, Cindy? Sorry for the delay in contacting you... Behlor
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Thankfully Monday is over .... I'm sure you are tired of reading that I ate too much and I'm tired of saying it but then why do I keep doing it. Everything was on plan but just too much of everything. Grrr......

Thanks Leo

Behlor ~ Wow that is a good find. If you google low carb recipes, there are some great sites including LCF. I'm glad that you are feeling better. Hospital food is terrible.