Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 02:45 AM   #31
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Cindy-
Here's hoping this procedure is easier for you--but I also hope you're planning for time off to rest afterwards. In my old age, I've realized how important it is to always take care of yourself.

My bone density test was disappointing to me because the tech told me that there was additional loss, but my endo called me after he saw the actual results and told me that it was fine. The loss is very minor and only in one area. My numbers there are just slightly into osteopenia there and nowhere near osteoporosis. He told me just to continue what I'm doing and make sure to get in my Vit D and calcium supplements.

There's one benefit to a lifetime of morbid obesity--lugging around all that weight has given me strong bones
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
LOL Leo!

My dr. once told me-- I have 0 risk of osteoperosis I've got big bones (as opposed to my mother's family, who are built like birds) and the weight does help I guess in that one way you mentioned.
Also-- fat retains estrogen, and that helps in bone strength (right?) so that's doing double duty. Not that I don't want to lose weight, but just looking for a silver lining while it's there

I'm still sick and actually headed back to bed. I'll keep my blackberry nearby in case some work thing pings me.

No loss over the last couple days, but no gain either. Sitting at my current sig weight. The positive in that-- I'm below my "came back from vacation" weight, so that's something, and I'm out of the 250's.
I'd love to see 230's again (and lower) so that's my current focus, getting to that number.

Have a nice LC dinner planned-- roast pork loin, and roast cauliflower-- or maybe mashed, and I'll use up a celery root (aka celeriac) and it will be all creamy and nice... hmmm...

Happy friday ya'll!
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/322/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Yes Leo ~ I'm planning on taking it easy for as long as I need to. Always good to look at the benefits.

Feel better soon Soren and your dinner sounds
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Hi everyone,
I am cutting back on the walking a bit, working more during next 3 months. I am still going to walk at lunch time to relieve work-related stresses, go for walks on the weekend with DH, and get to the gym as time permits.

I am also going for a physical with the doctor on Tuesday. First one in 2-1/2 yrs. i probably waited too long. Dah!

New mgr starts on Monday! I like it the way it is now with the mgr off site. So perhaps this year I may look into working on a different team that has that option.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Hey guys!

Yesterday was fantastic. Completely stuck to my calorie target and did not feel any panic or stress about it. Today will be the same, I know it!

I am being much more mindful of my fat-to-protein intake, and making sure that I eat more fat than protein. That seems to be helping. I have a tendency to eat nothing but meat, and not enough fat, and I'm wondering if that was causing me to feel out of control. Since I've added more fat, I've felt better.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Vilya, do you eat any vegetables?
Aside from my salad dressings and olive oil/ butter added to cooked vegetables, I get most of my fat from the meat I eat.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nomorepepsi
Stats: 250/243/135
WOE: Modified Greysheeters
Start Date: January 2013
Hi,

I love a challenge... have since I made myself learn "hard" words in the dictionary when I was a kid...

In two months, I hope to drop a dress size (from 18 to 16), and attend yoga and pilates classes twice a week. I hope to climb the steps of my apartment without getting long-winded. I hope to celebrate my abstinence from sugar and carbs by getting a new hairstyle.

I may not find Mr. Right, but a thinner, healthier body is enough... Behlor
nomorepepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi NoMorePepsi,
Welcome! This is a great group and we all have our own individual goals. It is fun to see how others manage to achieve them for the short term. It gives us new ideas about how we can challenge ourselves.

So you do yoga once a week and pilates once a week? I gotta tell you pilates scares me. I have tried yoga and know you get quite a workout from it. What is pilates? An aerobic workout?
Old 01-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mary, here's the link to Pilates: Pilates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it's like yoga, though there's more repetition of movements, rather than holding a pose and breathing through it.
It can be done with or without specialized machines that help with some of the exercises-- I've never done it with machines, just on a mat, sometimes with a ball or rubber band.

Welcome NMP! not getting winded at the top of your stairs is a great start!

I'm still sick but I think it's getting incrementally better. I do still need cough medicine to help me sleep, but I'm trying to go "natural" during the day and if I cough, I cough. I'm just staying home, hanging out.

I'm on plan, and with any luck, will see a new number tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
S.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Mary and Soren,

I always wanted to try yoga and Pilates... I guess the Hollywood-starstruck part of me reads about the crazy celebrity exercise programs, and wants to copy it... say what you want about Victoria Beckham -- she has an amazing body... I don't want to be extremely tiny like her (genetics, hello?), but I admire her discipline... it takes that same drive to maintain your WOE and exercise... Behlor
Old 01-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Saturday ~ work was okay except didn't get as much done as I had hoped. Hopefully I will be more focused this work and get back on track "work wise"

Eating good today but haven't drank near enough water.

Mary ~ Good luck with your physical, 2 1/2 years is a long time but think of how much healthier you are with all the pounds good and exercise. Maybe the new manger will be fabulous.

Vilya ~ Awesome that things are better and it is awesome how you know what works best for you

Pepsi ~ Looking forward to getting to know more about you and a new hairstyle sounds like a fabulous reward!

Soren ~ That cough has been hanging around for awhile, take care of youself. Looking forward to celebrating your new number on the scale.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Hi, Cindy,

I currently wear braids, but I'm getting sick of them already I'm thinking of a short, Edie Sedgwick style from the 1960s... she's one of the most stylish women ever, and I want to emulate her...

I hope that you enjoy Sunday, after all the hard work you've done... Behlor
Old 01-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

I wish I could pull off short hair.

Weigh in today, and I was 187, which is down 2 from last week! So now I'm only 3 lbs. up from the low in my stats. Onward and downward!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Behlor ~ That sounds nice. You will have to post before and after pictures.

Way to go Vilya

Having a relaxing day and planning on for dinner
Old 01-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Vilya -- thanks for your encouragement with my hairdo

Cindy -- I'll certainly show my b/a pictures... but first, we have to get to Valentine's Day!

Behlor
Old 01-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Deb-B
Stats: 301/301/190
Hope no one minds if I join in on this!

I'm just starting back on Atkins after a LONG hiatus, so my Valentine's Goal will be to complete the Atkins Induction phase and get back on the downward track.

Deb
Deb-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome, Deb! We have a great group here.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome, Deb!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:29 AM   #49
Senior LCF member

Deb!

That's a great goal--just focus on behavior, not results. The good results come from making good choices, in my experience.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

I want to get into a new mind-set before Valentine's Day... not because of that day specifically, but because I am going on a 10-day cruise right afterwards and don't want to be too tempted by the buffets!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #51
Senior LCF member

You're right, Deb, that it's all a matter of 'mindset.' I love cruises, and since I began my weight loss journey, I've never gained on a cruise--and even lost weight--precisely because of those 'buffets.'

I ignore all the 'bad stuff' and simply focus on all the great low-carb choices I have that I don't usually eat. I regard the 'luxury' part of the cruise as the fact that I don't have to cook that food or wash the dishes afterwards

For me, the key was when I realized that as soon as I eat off plan, I bloat and feel miserable, and my joints start to ache. I don't want to feel that way on my cruise! I want to feel at my best, and eating on plan is how I feel my best.

The key is to not feel 'deprived.' I don't look longingly at the dessert table. I look at it and say, "I can eat anything I wish. But I know that I will look and feel my best if I don't eat that stuff, so I choose not to. It's not worth it to me."

So you're absolutely right to work on your mindset. My sister, who is overweight and often travels with me, thinks that I have amazing self-control. What she doesn't realize is that with the right mindset, there's very little self control involved. Your focus is on making good choices for yourself.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome Deb!

I did a cruise as part of my honeymoon way back in 2004 and they had diabetic and low carb options on the menu, which made life a lot easier.

I like the statement: focus on new behaviour, not results. Nicely put Leo!

I'm focussing on my plan, sticking to my numbers, and logging daily. I weighed yesterday, and was down 1lb (see new sig )

Onward and downward!
S.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

I'm staying positive about eating properly on the cruise... I'm more worried about the drinks. lol
Old 01-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Everyone ~ Great day. Good eating, lots of water and herb tea Had left over steak with bacon & cheese on green salad

Behlor, Mary & Vilya ~ How was your day?

Deb ~ Another Canadian
Love cruising ~ where are you going?

Leo

Soren
Old 01-15-2013, 03:47 AM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone, well, I survived the first day with the new mgr. I didn't get to talk with her much yesterday. On a personal note, she had baby#2 four months ago and could use a low carb program. Let's say I was where she is back when my baby #2 was born 35 yrs ago. She must be under lots of stress with the juggling act. Here's hoping.

I am passing out lunch vouchers today as we gear up for our year end season which lasts through the end of March.

I am staying the course with my food, same quantities, except this week I am having haddock for my nighttime protein insteak of roast pork. I pretty much stick to my protein smoothies for breakfast with a bowl of TVP & soymilk w/ strawberries&cranberries relish that I made. And lunch is my favorite Greek yogurt with pumpkin, flax and spices for my sweet version of pumpkin pie pudding and a big salad.

When I get a lunch voucher, I usually buy bottles of diet soda to keep at my desk. Anyway have a great day today! Over and out!

Last edited by MaryMary; 01-15-2013 at 03:49 AM..
Old 01-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Goooood Morning! (Any morning that isn't a Monday is good in my opinion)

So, I woke up with my lingering cold (which I have had since October) flaring up again. I don't mind being congested, but the dry tickling cough in my throat is SUPER annoying! I'm looking for suggestions of an on-plan cough remedy if anyone knows any. In the past I used to take straight honey, or a hot drink of honey and lemon juice in boiled water. Obviously these are a no-go now. I'm currently sipping herbal tea and trying not to cough it all over the keyboard.

Hey Cindy Big waves to my fellow Canadian, even though you're on the other side of the country and (likely) still asleep for a few more hours! I am taking the 10-day Southern Caribbean Medley cruise with Princess Cruise Lines. My ports of call will be the Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Caribbean Netherlands, and Aruba. Can't wait! This is my first real vacation since my son was born 5 years ago!

Deb
Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone,
I just came from the doctor's office for the much delayed physical. My BP was 130/78 as I was a nervous wreck. My pulse was 70 and strong. She could tell I was a walker. Turns out she is vegan 98% of the time, as is my shrink. She said there are a couple doctors there who have adopted a vegan program and their attitudes have changed to a more positive outlook on life in general. I am lucky to have found two such compassionate doctors.

So I think it can't hurt to ask a potential doctor about how he/she lives their life. Do they eat healthy and exercise? If they do, they are a candidate to care for me.

I weighed in at 165 on their scale with my clothes on. yeh!

I have to go for a mammogram - it's been two years. And I am getting my hearing checked as I admitted I have problems with tinnitis and background noises. I am going to see a doctor about the finger on my right hand that I thiught I just sorained last August in a fall at work but it might have been broken. Anyway I will get it checked out.

All the other numbers were good. Cholesterol 158, HDL 67, sugars 88 fasting. So she was happy. We talked about how diet affects our emotional health and is supportive of my life style, food plan and exercise program.

Last edited by MaryMary; 01-15-2013 at 06:46 AM..
Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tabbytru
Stats: 447/150
WOE: southbeach
hello .... hope its not to late to join??? since i am new to lc i am wanting to work on my meal planning, so i do not eat the wrong things .... if i dont buy it it will not be here for me to eat right? also i think that knowing what i am going to eat through out the day will be a big help on keeping me on track with my weight loss., also as of right now when i go grocery shopping i get really over whelmed and have no clue what to buy.

Last edited by tabbytru; 01-15-2013 at 07:06 AM..
tabbytru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb-B View Post
Goooood Morning! (Any morning that isn't a Monday is good in my opinion)

So, I woke up with my lingering cold (which I have had since October) flaring up again. I don't mind being congested, but the dry tickling cough in my throat is SUPER annoying! I'm looking for suggestions of an on-plan cough remedy if anyone knows any. In the past I used to take straight honey, or a hot drink of honey and lemon juice in boiled water. Obviously these are a no-go now. I'm currently sipping herbal tea and trying not to cough it all over the keyboard.
I'm taking Benylin, and it's sugar free. Yes, there's alcohol etc, but you're taking 2tsp of it at a time, and it shouldn't derail you too much. You could try to find a pill with the same ingredients (dextromethorphan) but I haven't found one in years.
Anyway, I think most of the cold medicines (liquids) are sugar free, they get their thickness from other stuff (castor oil, xanthan gum... all LC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb-B View Post
Hey Cindy Big waves to my fellow Canadian, even though you're on the other side of the country and (likely) still asleep for a few more hours! I am taking the 10-day Southern Caribbean Medley cruise with Princess Cruise Lines. My ports of call will be the Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Caribbean Netherlands, and Aruba. Can't wait! This is my first real vacation since my son was born 5 years ago! Deb
I'm Canadian too!

Mary-- I wouldn't worry about the BP unless you get the same readings multiple times. Could be nervousness at the Dr's office, could be the size of cuff they used... Good job getting that list of stuff checked out, it will give you some peace of mind, and great job on talking with the Dr about diet and finding one who doesn't just toe the line of low fat, yada yada.

Welcome Tabby ! It's never too late!

me: this cough (with you there, Deb) is SO ANNOYING! I don't want to go to the Dr b/c I don't think I need to, but if it doesn't subside this week, I will go next week, b/c I have to travel at the end of the month, and I want to be 100% well.

I'm down another 1lb+, yay! So, sticking to my plan is working, drinking lots of fluids, trying to get as much rest as I can.

Not much else to report! Have a great day ya'll!
S.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #60
Senior LCF member

tabbytru!

You're off to a good start because in my experience planning is key to success in weight management. I plan my menus for the week and then grocery shop accordingly. I know at least 24 hours in advance what I will eat the following day to insure that I stay within my carb/calorie limits--as I am one of those people who has to count both carefully.

My advice is to always check on foods before you buy them to insure that you don't wind up with things you shouldn't be eating.

You can do this!