Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #2311
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kcmama
Stats: 200/190/150
WOE: modified low carb
Start Date: Sept 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona View Post
Howdy gang! Home from work and now my 3 days off can start!

I hear you gals, on how money is tight. I was pretty down in the dumps when a new prescription came in the mail and my payment is now double! And that was only 1 script. I have about 5 or 6 and DH has 3. My company really boned us on our insurance for 2013. Everyone is complaining about it....we pay more from our paychecks for it and we pay more on the back-end too. But what can you do? And also they are taking more taxes....but can't blame my company on that one. I got a modest raise about a month ago...like 0.50/hr. So that money is like....gone plus some. So yea, it's depressing.
Oh, Yay! The weekend! Yeah, my dh's employer dropped the insurance we had been using for like 15 years last year. I do not like having to pay more in copays and deductibles (what is that anyway? spoiled because we didn't have deductible before) and 20%. Yuk! You know, maybe you should check into some health care exchange. I have read where often times you can get better insurance going privately than with your employer's plan. You could start researching this year so that when Nov comes around and you see what your employer has changed/dropped from the coverage for the next year and what you have to pay you willl be able to decide then and there whether to go private or use the employer. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #2312
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Good morning. DS14 is back to school. That brace is amazing. He is much better just from having stayed off of the ankle yesterday.

So now besides the pay cut and giving me lots of extra work, they are now restricting my hours. I guess they just are forcing me out. I have always had flexible hours---whatever worked for me. Now I was told yesterday that I need to work 8-12 because it's too confusing for people. What people? No one even cares or comes in. I can not wait to get out of here. GRRRRRRRRR I've been praying about this and about not disliking the pastor and it's not helping. I wish I could just quit but I can't. Even with the pay cut, we need the money. Plus the new taxes cut into dh's pay so much, it's going to hurt even more. Sometimes life is just plain darn hard.
Somebody thinks you have had it too cushy, obviously.So, have you begun looking yet? You have already lost about 40 lbs, right?

Yeah, I hear you though. More taxes, price increases on everything.....getting lots harder to make ends meet.
kcmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #2313
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: crazyone
Stats: 404/295.6/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 28, 2009
Kcmama... I am going to tell you like it is.. cause I pour my heart out here in this thread.. .I don't lie and I love you ladies...

But right now I am in deep you know what.. I have no idea what I am going to do and I am in a state of panic, .. and seriously I just want to go to the cabinet and attack every morsel of food and anything in this house to make me feel better..and I had to put some of the munchies I had in the cabinet in my car, the salty stuff, my emotional food.. otherwise I would have tore into by now.....so I know if I made that Chex Mix right now.. it would be gone in 30 seconds....because I would have poured the white chocolate chips right into my mouth...I am so serious.. grrrrrrr
crazyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #2314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mona
Stats: 380/311/175 46y.o. 5'10"
WOE: VSG 11/14/11 Moderate LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Good morning. DS14 is back to school. That brace is amazing. He is much better just from having stayed off of the ankle yesterday.

So now besides the pay cut and giving me lots of extra work, they are now restricting my hours. I guess they just are forcing me out. I have always had flexible hours---whatever worked for me. Now I was told yesterday that I need to work 8-12 because it's too confusing for people. What people? No one even cares or comes in. I can not wait to get out of here. GRRRRRRRRR I've been praying about this and about not disliking the pastor and it's not helping. I wish I could just quit but I can't. Even with the pay cut, we need the money. Plus the new taxes cut into dh's pay so much, it's going to hurt even more. Sometimes life is just plain darn hard.

Now now Chewie. What about the Treasurer that visits you daily?

Seriously, I hope you can find a way better job soon. It really does seem like they are trying to push you out.
Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #2315

Gallery: Lony
Stats: 357/230/160
WOE: Atkins(ish)
Start Date: July 6 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyone View Post
Kcmama... I am going to tell you like it is.. cause I pour my heart out here in this thread.. .I don't lie and I love you ladies...

But right now I am in deep you know what.. I have no idea what I am going to do and I am in a state of panic, .. and seriously I just want to go to the cabinet and attack every morsel of food and anything in this house to make me feel better..and I had to put some of the munchies I had in the cabinet in my car, the salty stuff, my emotional food.. otherwise I would have tore into by now.....so I know if I made that Chex Mix right now.. it would be gone in 30 seconds....because I would have poured the white chocolate chips right into my mouth...I am so serious.. grrrrrrr
Lony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #2316

Quote:
Now now Chewie. What about the Treasurer that visits you daily?

Seriously, I hope you can find a way better job soon. It really does seem like they are trying to push you out.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #2317
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lony are you feeling any better?

Hugs to everyone! Seems like a lot of stress and hard times going around lately. Special hugs and glitter for MsMelindaPants.

I got a cheap pork shoulder at the store. I'm going to spice it up and put it in the crockpot so it's ready when I wake up.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #2318
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

I am sorry, Melinda Is your hubs' job in jeopardy again? or did you hear about sonny's college acceptance and he is going to Syracuse afterall? I sure wish I could just wave a magic wand and make everything allright for everyone!I hope things turn around soon for you.
kcmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #2319

I am feeling better. Tummy is all better and Mike is leaving for a few days. That means no cooking for me.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #2320
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lony View Post
I am feeling better. Tummy is all better and Mike is leaving for a few days. That means no cooking for me.
Lets have a girls day in and do ceasar salads! I might need to rent a snow plow to get to you.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #2321

Mona I am sorry about your insurance. It kinda sucks. Also the taxes bites too. How is the hubs doing? Ready to go back to LC yet? I keep praying for him. Losing weight would make him feel better and he could get a job which would make you feel better.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #2322

Quote:
Lets have a girls day in and do ceasar salads! I might need to rent a snow plow to get to you.
Maybe to get through Yellowstone, but once you get here it is just overcast and we are shooting for a high of 48!

I will have it ready
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #2323
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

DH has been ready for a few weeks. I have been dragging it out because I want to finish up all this food I bought. I do this everytime. I have too much of an emotional attachment to my food. You know how some people have a hard time getting rid of clothes? I'm the same way with food I've stockpiled. When I bought it, I had a vision in my head of what I was going to cook with it and it's almost painful for me to get rid of the food. Sounds kinda crazy when I type it all out.

But yea, DH is pretty gung-ho to get started. I should just pick a date and go for it.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #2324

Quote:
DH has been ready for a few weeks. I have been dragging it out because I want to finish up all this food I bought. I do this everytime. I have too much of an emotional attachment to my food. You know how some people have a hard time getting rid of clothes? I'm the same way with food I've stockpiled. When I bought it, I had a vision in my head of what I was going to cook with it and it's almost painful for me to get rid of the food. Sounds kinda crazy when I type it all out.

But yea, DH is pretty gung-ho to get started. I should just pick a date and go for it.
Hurray!

I understand what you mean about the emotional attachment.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #2325

Gallery: crazyone
Stats: 404/295.6/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 28, 2009
Kcmama.. it's just a promise that was broken, that left me in deep crap....and then other things pushing me over the edge the other direction...well anyway...I am just going to go and try and not make myself ruin my diet that I have been good on for 3 weeks.. so if I don't see you all this afternoon.. Hope you all enjoy the day....
crazyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #2326
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Everything will be OK Melinda. Be strong.

Chewie are you around? If so would you mind posting your cuban pork roast recipe? I thought I saved it but I can't find it.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #2327

Quote:
Kcmama.. it's just a promise that was broken, that left me in deep crap....and then other things pushing me over the edge the other direction...well anyway...I am just going to go and try and not make myself ruin my diet that I have been good on for 3 weeks.. so if I don't see you all this afternoon.. Hope you all enjoy the day....
Oh sweetie, sending you all the happy glitter!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #2328

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
Everything will be OK Melinda. Be strong.

Chewie are you around? If so would you mind posting your cuban pork roast recipe? I thought I saved it but I can't find it.
It's actually Puerto Rican pork roast called Pernil. It takes at least a day or more to marinate but comes out so soft and moist. It's hard to stop eating it. It looks like a lot of work but it's really not at all.

Pernil
•1 Bone-In Pork Shoulder (5-10 Pounds depending on how many you want to feed, 5 Pounds will feed 3-4 hungry people)
•5-8 Cloves garlic, some chopped, some sliced
•Adobo (or a mixture of garlic power, onion powder, cumin, black pepper, salt and oregano)
•1 Bottle of Sour Orange Marinade (or 2 Oranges and 1 Lime OR 1 Cup OJ and 2 Limes)
•1 Large Onion, chopped up
•olive oil

SO the night before you cook the meat (or, if you prefer to not let it sit, then the half hour before you cook the meat):
1.Take your big, delish pork shoulder/butt, place it in a baking dish skin-side up and sprinkle it all over w/ adobo (Goya makes a few versions of this that you can keep in your spice cabinet or you can make your own by sprinkling garlic power, onion powder, cumin, black pepper, salt and oregano all over the pork). WHEN I SAY SPREAD IT ALL OVER I MEAN SPREAD IT ALL OVER. Don’t be afraid of putting on too much.
2.Cut slices of garlic up from about 3 cloves of garlic – make slices thick-ish. (NOTE: If you have the extra time, make a paste out of your garlic by smashing it in a mortar and pestle w/ a bit of salt to aid in the smashing until it has the consistancy of a spreadable paste.) ****NOTE: This recipe uses alot of garlic b/c we love alot of garlic. If you don’t like the taste of garlic, maybe this recipe isn’t the best for you.
3.Take a sharp knife (a steak knife should be fine) and make 1-inch wide (1 inch deep or so) slits all over the pork, skin and all. Every time you make a slit, slide in a slice of garlic into the slit. It’s best if the garlic goes into the hole all the way. If it doesn’t, again, don’t worry… just make a bit of a deeper slit next time. (NOTE: If you made the garlic paste, then just slide a bit of the paste in each slit instead of the sliced garlic.)
4.MAKE MARINADE IN SEPARATE BOWL: Add one cup of sour orange juice (again, Goya makes a bottled version, I’m sure it’s not as tasty as the real ones, but sour oranges aren’t around all the time to buy) to 3 cloves of chopped garlic and 1 chopped large onion. Add a sprinkling of salt and pepper and well as some extra oregano. Mix. (NOTE: You can also substitute sour orange w/ a cup of regular Orange Juice mixed w/ the juice of two limes, or juice of 2 oranges, juice of 1 lime.)
5.Pour your marinade over your pork. Let sit for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight).

NOW IT’S TIME TO COOK!
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.Rub some olive oil over the pork and pork skin.
3.Put pork in oven, skin-side up, cover w/ aluminum foil and bake for about 4-5 hours, depending on size of pork. (I’d say allow about a half hour per pound in baking time if using bone-in pork – but remember, the best thing about a pork shoulder is that it gets better the longer you cook it. Just don’t burn that skin.)
4.After about an hour and a half, check how much liquid remains in the pan – add a cup of water to the pan if you are low. Check every 30-45 minutes to make sure the liquid level remains about at least 1/2 ” deep. The pan drippings will mix with this and make a nice gravy.
5.About 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the aluminum foil to crunch up that delicious pork skin. ***NOTE: Thanks to WANF reader/recipe-tryer Emilee, 20 minutes may not be long enough to crunch up the skin enough. This will depend on your oven (and your taste). I would advise to keep looking at the roast after you remove the aluminum foil and when it looks brown and crispy, it’s done. Could be anywhere from 20 -35 minutes.
6.After you remove the pork from the oven, let it rest for about 15-20 minutes.
7.Slice it up or shred it with your fork! ENJOY.

Some of the delightful and CHEAP meals you can make with one 10 pound pork shoulder (you can stretch this especially if there’s only 2 or 3 of you eating) are:
•shredded pork tacos (add them to some warmed corn or flour tortillas and top w/ your fave toppings)
•sliced pernil with a side of black beans and rice
•cuban sandwiches (slice up some pernil, add it to some thick, Cuban bread with some swiss cheese, mustard and thinly sliced pickles)
•tomato, corn and shredded pernil rice baked with cheese (I’m going to try this tonight and I’ll let you know how it turns out! (**UPDATE: It was good, easy to make and filling)
•pernil and potato stew
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #2329

So I came home, wasn't really hungry so I had a piece of cheese and errands were calling. Filled my tank at $2.98 and went to Aldi's. Spent over $100 and didn't even get much stuff. WOW. I needed to go to the bank but I forgot and was in wrong lane. Oh well, maybe dh will go for me tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #2330

Quote:

Good job on putting the tempting stuff outside.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #2331
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Oksue
Stats: 320/290/170
WOE: Healthy Eating
Start Date: 6/13/11
Lony I think I sense a little happy dance going on with you. You need a little down time for a few days huh???LOL
Chewie...for a Arkansas gal you sure can come up with some wonderful recipes. I think I can smell that roast cooking from here!!!!! Enjoy it Mona!!
Is Deb MIA????
Oksue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #2332

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
howdy all got Ken's hearing aides fixed and with no problems! i tell you those peope in that clinic are soo rude i just feel terribly for all the older people that have to deal with them then we wwent and got Steven;s stuff with the school taken care of UGH his fioeld trips to those colleges and to DC were counted as absences and they were even cleared with gifted and talented
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #2333
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Deb...you should call someone and turn them in for being rude.
I think my DD and SIL are about to learn a lesson the hard way.
They sold their house today. They agreed to be out in 30 DAYS!!!!!!!
The real estate lady is taking them to look at houses tomorrow.
Unless they just run into a unique situation I am thinking they will
be wishing they would have not agreed to 30 days. I'm keeping quiet.
Live and learn is all I can say.
It sure is quiet here......
kcmama and Chewie......are you going to get bad weather tomorrow? They are talking a little sleet "maybe" in the morning. They are saying come Monday and Tues. of next week it is going to be in the 70's!!!!
Have a great night everyone.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #2334
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good evening friends. I just woke up. I slept for 11 hours! I guess I needed the rest.

Thank you Chewie for posting that recipe. My roast doesn't have skin on it though. I wonder if it would still work? It looks more like a pot roast and it's probably only 3 pounds or so. I wound up going to bed without doing anything with the meat because I started falling asleep at my desk while browsing the internet for ideas. haha!

Deb glad you got Ken's hearing aids fixed. Sorry you had to deal with the rude people though.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #2335
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My DH sent me this quiz on US Geography. He got a perfect score! As a former long-haul truck driver, he's been to most of these states and was always studying maps. I got 132/150. I kept messing up the midwest states. LOL.

Test Your Geography Knowledge- USA
Old 01-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #2336
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So what I decided to do with my pork shoulder is season it up with Mexican type seasonings (oregano, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, S&P) and I made some tin foil balls for the bottom of the crock pot and laid the roast on top. I didn't put any onions in. I wanted to keep it as "dry" as possible to see if it gets caramelized on the outside.

I do want to try that Puerto Rican recipe sometime though. I just need to get the right cut of meat.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #2337
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning everyone......Eli and Layla are coming over this morning so I am up and going this morning. I already have a pot of beans with ham cooking.
Have a good day everyone.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #2338

Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #2339

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmama View Post
Somebody thinks you have had it too cushy, obviously.So, have you begun looking yet? You have already lost about 40 lbs, right?

Yeah, I hear you though. More taxes, price increases on everything.....getting lots harder to make ends meet.
Nope, not looking yet. I really just don't have the motivattion yet. I'm using the main excuse of no clothes but I need my head to be ready. kwim?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oksue View Post
Lony I think I sense a little happy dance going on with you. You need a little down time for a few days huh???LOL
Chewie...for a Arkansas gal you sure can come up with some wonderful recipes. I think I can smell that roast cooking from here!!!!! Enjoy it Mona!!
Is Deb MIA????
LOL I'm a Yankee, Sue. Born and bred in Connecticut and only moved here almost 9 years ago. I definitely have an East coast mentality.