Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lony View Post
We all need to go on biggest loser!
nah i would have to put some hurt on jillian and then i would be in jail!
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #812

Gallery: Lony
Stats: 357/230/160
WOE: Atkins(ish)
Start Date: July 6 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by debkeversole View Post
You can be on that other guys team!
Lony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #813
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pansies
WOE: Bending Elbow Less
Start Date: Restart Every darn mornin'
Quote:
While I have never watched the show - I've heard/read/seen pictures about it. I just cannot imagine going on a show like that - omgoodness - I'd be mortified to be seen in the outfits they put them in. Plus - between being so irritated with someone yelling at me, I'd be either bawling or screaming at them - and not necessarily at different times.
pansies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #814

Quote:
Originally Posted by pansies View Post
While I have never watched the show - I've heard/read/seen pictures about it. I just cannot imagine going on a show like that - omgoodness - I'd be mortified to be seen in the outfits they put them in. Plus - between being so irritated with someone yelling at me, I'd be either bawling or screaming at them - and not necessarily at different times.
eh the clothes wouldn't bother me and goodness if it got so bad i cried i would hurt someone! and then have a bad cry later
though the point is moot i couldn't even make it up the hill they have them climb sometimes
Old 01-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #815

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
That Jillian person makes me so mad. I know she exercises to keep in shape, etc., but she has never exercised at 300 lbs.! She thinks all fat people are losers and despises us. And I will have words with her if she yelled at me like that.

Plus, multiple health and fitness authorities have come out to say it is bad and outright dangerous for your health.

This is kind of an oldish NYT article, but it clearly outlines the problems:
Quote:
LOS ANGELES — When more than 40 former contestants from “The Biggest Loser” gather Wednesday for a reunion television special, the winner of the program’s first season, Ryan C. Benson, who lost 122 of his 330-pound starting weight, will be absent. Mr. Benson is now back above 300 pounds but he thinks he has been shunned by the show because he publicly admitted that he dropped some of the weight by fasting and dehydrating himself to the point that he was urinating blood.

A trainer on the television show “The Biggest Loser” said the experience of Ryan C. Benson, who, pictured before and after, used dangerous weight loss techniques to win the contest in 2005, represents the dark side of the program.

At least one other contestant has confessed to using dangerous weight-loss techniques, including self-induced dehydration. On the first episode of the current season, two contestants were sent to the hospital, one by airlift after collapsing from heat stroke during a one-mile race.

New contestants are entering the show more out of shape. Each of the last two seasons has broken the record for the heaviest contestant ever, at 454 and 476 pounds.

Medical professionals generally advise against losing more than about two pounds a week. Rapid weight loss can cause many medical problems, including a weakening of the heart muscle, irregular heartbeat and dangerous reductions in potassium and electrolytes.

“I’m waiting for the first person to have a heart attack,” said Dr. Charles Burant, a professor of internal medicine at the University of Michigan Health System director of the Michigan Metabolomics and Obesity Center.

“I have had some patients who want to do the same thing, and I counsel them against it,” Dr. Burant said. “I think the show is so exploitative. They are taking poor people who have severe weight problems whose real focus is trying to win the quarter-million dollars.”

Dr. Rob Huizenga, the medical consultant to “The Biggest Loser” and an associate clinical professor of medicine at U.C.L.A., said that the program was safe. “This is not only a major amount of weight loss, it is a totally different kind of weight loss compared with surgery or starvation diets,” he said.

In interviews, the show’s trainers and producers acknowledge that unsafe practices can occur.

Some contestants have claimed that dangerous weight loss techniques were common among contestants. Kai Hibbard, who lost 118 pounds and finished as the runner-up in Season 3, has written on her MySpace blog and elsewhere that she and other contestants would drink as little water as possible in the 24 hours before a weigh-in. When the cameras were off, she said, contestants would work out in as much clothing as possible.

Ms. Hibbard, who weighed 144 pounds at the show’s finale, wrote that she added 31 pounds in two weeks, most of it simply by drinking water. That experience is not isolated. Including Mr. Benson, the winners of the first four seasons of the show each have added at least 20 percent to their weight at the end of the show.

Jillian Michaels, one of the two trainers who supervise contestants’ workouts on the series, said the experience of Ms. Hibbard and Mr. Benson was evidence of “the dark side of the show.”

“Contestants can get a little too crazy and they can get too thin,” she said. She said contestants are medically checked and disqualified if they are dehydrated or are found to be taking drugs or diuretics. “That is the worst part of the show,” she said. “ It’s just part of the nature of reality TV.”

Contestants are required to sign releases that stand out even in the waiver-intensive world of reality television.

One such release, which was provided to The New York Times by a former contestant who did so on the condition of anonymity, says that “no warranty, representation or guarantee has been made as to the qualifications or credentials of the medical professionals who examine me or perform any procedures on me in connection with my participation in the series, or their ability to diagnose medical conditions that may affect my fitness to participate in the series.”

The current season started with five contestants of more than 400 pounds. Yet contestants have been required to sign a document certifying that they believe themselves to be “in excellent physical, emotional, psychological and mental health.”

Mr. Roth said that those “standard release forms” are similar to those used “on any reality show.” He added that the show’s medical professionals had “appropriate qualifications and credentials.”

Getting contestants to talk openly about the environment of the program is difficult. Shortly after a reporter started contacting former contestants to interview them about their experiences, a talent producer on the series sent an e-mail message to many former contestants reminding them that “serious consequences” could ensue if they ever talked to a reporter without the show’s permission.

To do so could subject them to a fine of $100,000 or $1 million, depending on the timing of the interview, according to the e-mail message, which was obtained by The New York Times. The show’s producers did provide an opportunity to interview several former contestants, but the interviews were conducted with an NBC publicist listening in.

Ali Vincent, a fifth-season contestant who became the first female winner of “The Biggest Loser,” said she believed that her involvement in the show was “definitely worth it.”

“I went from a life of nothing to being active every day, six days a week,” said Ms. Vincent, who started the program weighing 234 pounds and finished at 122. She now weighs about 125 pounds, she said, and is a spokeswoman for products and ventures related to “The Biggest Loser.”

Ms. Michaels and Bob Harper, the other trainer, as well as Mr. Roth all say that at least half of the contestants stay close to the weight levels they achieve on the show for several years.

Mr. Roth said he happily accepted a 50 percent success rate — noting that only a handful of former contestants regained all or most of the weight they carried before joining the show. “Getting 100 percent to keep the weight off has never been the goal,” he said. “The goal is can we inspire people in America to make a change in their life. In that, we’re batting 1,000.”
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #816

hey guys check this out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri K View Post
Thank you. I have also "adopted" some of her friends who do not have parents who stand up for them.

I love love love Gail as well!

I've started Mint's 52 week money challenge in reverse. It's basically a savings plan that goes like this: Week 1, save $1, Week 2 save $2. etc. until you are up to week 52 where you save $52.

I started with $52 and will work backward from that to earn more interest. Edited to say there is an error at week 49 - it's just a type-o.

My financial goal is to pay down our line of credit by at least 30% this year. It's our only debt since we already own our home outright.
ya know she was talking of doing it backward and i think i MIGHT be able to pull that off maybe not for 52 weeks BUT i was thinking if i put half each weeks thing in the xmas club and the other half in a property tax ENVELOPE9starting with the 52) i wouldn't be in a bad position for next holiday season and WOWOW! having the actual money when the property taxes are due this fall! would that not be great???

one thing the xmas club once it is in you can't get it out until time so that is ok! if i have the cash in a stash here at home for the prop tax do you think i could be strong enough NOT to get in it in an emergency??
HCG start 351.2 DS14 339.2 DH 223.4
my facebook 179.75 miles DS1612.75 miles
Old 01-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #817

Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #818
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lucky51
You never know what is going to happen. My daughter was taking my mother back to the nursing home after a birthday dinner for my oldest granddaughter. They came upon a serious wreck and had to turn around. It was friends of mine who lived in my hometown. They were both killed. I feel so sorry for their kids. To lose both of your parents in the same day would be horrible. They were both in their 60's.
lucky51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #819

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky51 View Post
You never know what is going to happen. My daughter was taking my mother back to the nursing home after a birthday dinner for my oldest granddaughter. They came upon a serious wreck and had to turn around. It was friends of mine who lived in my hometown. They were both killed. I feel so sorry for their kids. To lose both of your parents in the same day would be horrible. They were both in their 60's.
oh Lucky!! i am soo soo sorry!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #820

Gallery: crazyone
Stats: 404/295.6/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 28, 2009
Linda!!! Ok...

MUSHROOM CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE
3-4 cups diced cooked chicken
1 pound pork sausage
1 stalk celery, chopped fine
1 tablespoon onion, chopped
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
16 ounce bag frozen cauliflower, cooked well and drained
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Paprika, optional
Brown the sausage with the celery, onion and mushrooms. Stir the softened cream cheese into the sausage mixture until well blended. Coarsely chop the cooked cauliflower. Mix all of the ingredients and spread in a greased 9x13" baking dish. If desired, dust the top with paprika. Bake at 350º for about 40 minutes until the top is nicely browned.
Makes 8-12 servings
Can be frozen
Per 1/8 Recipe: 550 Calories; 40g Fat; 42g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Per 1/10 Recipe: 440 Calories; 32g Fat; 34g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Per 1/12 Recipe: 367 Calories; 27g Fat; 28g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

THE CHICKEN LADY'S CLAUSSEN KOSHER PICKLE CLONE
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds pickling cucumbers
4 teaspoons dry minced onions
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon dill
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons table salt
Quarter the cucumbers lengthwise and put in a quart canning jar or 2-3 pint jars (see my note below) . Bring all of the remaining ingredients to a boil for 5 minutes to dissolve the salt; cool. Pour the brine over the cucumbers; cover and let stand at room temperature for 3 days. Occasionally flip the jar over and then back upright to redistribute the ingredients. After the third day, refrigerate them and they should keep for up to a year. Alternately, you can refrigerate them right away and they can be eaten within a day or two (see my comments below).
Makes about 24 pickle spears
Per Pickle: 7 Calories; trace Fat; trace Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carb
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/3_star.gif
The Chicken Lady at Low Carb Friends posted this recipe and she makes large batches of them with cucumbers from her garden. You can read the thread here. I was nervous about keeping them on the counter for three days because of my husband's immune system being depressed by his anti-rejection meds so I "processed" mine in the fridge. This seemed to work perfectly fine and they were actually ready to eat by the next day. My pickles taste good and came out nice and crunchy but I might leave out the dried onions next time. They have a strong flavor that seems out of place to me. I just happen to have a jar of regular dill pickles in the fridge so I did a side-by-side taste test. There's no comparison between the two. The flavor of "cooked" pickles that you can buy off the shelf is nowhere near as nice as the flavor of fresh refrigerator pickles and they don't have the same crunch. The only reason that I gave these a 3-star rating because I'm not a big pickle eater.
NOTE: I had trouble finding jars that would hold all of my pickles with the right amount of brine to cover them. Two pint jars or 1 quart jar weren't enough to hold 1 1/4 pound of cucumbers. If I divided them into 3 pint jars there wasn't enough brine. I ended up having to leave out the equivalent of one cucumber (I had six). Next time I will double the brine and use 3 pint jars.

Linda, she had made mention that the pickle recipe...calls for onion and she said in her review.. she wouldn't add it again...and I agree I didn't because I didn't get the connection to onions and pickles.....
crazyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #821

You know I make a swedish salad that has pickled cucumbers in it and it calls for onion slices. I tried it once without and it was just not the same.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #822

My Goodness I am still cooking and it's 5:10.. I am waiting on my oven fried chicken, I completely forgot about what time I put it in.. sonny boy claims 4:20... these thighs are gorgeous.. they are huge and they are the triangle shaped ones that I love.. not the foster farm rolled up ones...and I need to put together my Philly Steak sandwiches....and I need to roast my butternut squash and celery root...then go back and heat it all back up...I may have to forego the butternut squash and celery root for today.. I don't think I can hold them back from dinner until 7pm...I took those zucchinis and halved them and roasted in the oven...with oil salt and pepper and then I threw Parm cheese and Italian seasonings, so that's theirs.... but I really wanted my roasted veggies for me.. aww well..
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #823

Quote:
You know I make a swedish salad that has pickled cucumbers in it and it calls for onion slices. I tried it once without and it was just not the same.
This recipe is more like a refrigerator pickle.. with the dill weed and mustard seeds..

My mother used to make a cuke and onion salad...where she soaked it vinegar and salt.. and then drained it mixed it with sour cream.. man I loved it...
Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #824

Quote:
60s is too young to go.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #825

Quote:
I agree....cucumber salad is not the same without onions. I love the purple onions ...so sweet and delicate.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #826

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyone View Post
My Goodness I am still cooking and it's 5:10.. I am waiting on my oven fried chicken, I completely forgot about what time I put it in.. sonny boy claims 4:20... these thighs are gorgeous.. they are huge and they are the triangle shaped ones that I love.. not the foster farm rolled up ones...and I need to put together my Philly Steak sandwiches....and I need to roast my butternut squash and celery root...then go back and heat it all back up...I may have to forego the butternut squash and celery root for today.. I don't think I can hold them back from dinner until 7pm...I took those zucchinis and halved them and roasted in the oven...with oil salt and pepper and then I threw Parm cheese and Italian seasonings, so that's theirs.... but I really wanted my roasted veggies for me.. aww well..
OMG lady, you work way too hard in the kitchen!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #827

Quote:
I am sorry for your friend but I am thankful that it was not your mother and daughter.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #828

Quote:
I want the zucchini!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #829

I too am so sorry Lucky..
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #830

I made beef fried rice with organic broccoli and carrots. Came out really nice, the boys like it. I put Italian seasoning in it this time around in addition to the salt and pepper and it worked. Sheets and towels are done and put away, beds are remade, vacuuming is finished. Got up too late to go to Walfarts before the crowds, so will be sending DH tomorrow with a list. Hope he buys the proper brands of stuff.

Back to work tomorrow! Won't be fixing my work lunch tomorrow because it's a teacher waiver day and we'll have a long lunch break. My friends from work and I go to a restaurant on those days. Probably Olive Garden, their salad is simply scrumptious.....

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,500....and over 3,000,000 steps
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #831

They have your name on it Lonykins!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #832

Elizakins sounds like you did double day of work
Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #833

Quote:
They have your name on it Lonykins!
WoooooHoooooo. My mom sent me some pickled green beans. I think I am going to try those out tonight!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #834

Quote:
YUM!!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #835

Old 01-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #836
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
That Jillian person makes me so mad. I know she exercises to keep in shape, etc., but she has never exercised at 300 lbs.! She thinks all fat people are losers and despises us. And I will have words with her if she yelled at me like that.

Plus, multiple health and fitness authorities have come out to say it is bad and outright dangerous for your health.

This is kind of an oldish NYT article, but it clearly outlines the problems:

This is interesting. Sounds like they sell an awful lot to be a part of that show. Sad is the only word that comes to mind. To not be able to talk about ones experience - just doesn't sit well at all.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #837

I think Jillian is full of crap anyway.first she advocates this safe weight loss and yet she does the biggest loser...,, plus she said she would never go back on the show...

Last edited by crazyone; 01-06-2013 at 06:43 PM..
Old 01-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #838

Lonykins that sounds awesome.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #839
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Aw, this is so sad. Such a shock to the kids.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #840

Quote:
Originally Posted by pansies View Post
This is interesting. Sounds like they sell an awful lot to be a part of that show. Sad is the only word that comes to mind. To not be able to talk about ones experience - just doesn't sit well at all.
The thing is a lot of them regain...but that's what TV is all about...smoke and mirrors and selling the illusion and the dream. Jillian has made a lot of cash with offshoot fitness-related stuff from DVDs to protein mix to what not. She is the real winner of the Biggest Loser.

All I need is to lose 1-2 lbs a week. I will be ecstatic!