Old 12-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #1891
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lony
Stats: 357/230/160
WOE: Atkins(ish)
Start Date: July 6 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Our Christmas day menu got a little out of control. My dh got a goose which is really expensive cause it's organic. Plus I don't even like it not that I can eat alot anyway. Then I asked for a turkey breast. He couldn't find one so he got a small 12 lb turkey. Then yesterday my brother sent us a honey baked ham and my ds14 wanted the ham for christmas. I said Why not? So we sure will have lots of leftovers for sandwiches and such. I don't have the sides figured out yet---meal plan is on my to do list for today.
Holy cow!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #1892

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky51 View Post
Here you go, KC

Grandmother’s Custard

1 gallon whole milk
16 eggs, beat well
2 2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp salt

I mix everything well and put into my crock pot. I stir occasionally and it is done when it “coats the back of a spoon” as my grandmother said.

When it is through cooking, add 8 teaspoons vanilla.

When I was a little girl, my grandmother served it from a 2 quart pig pitcher. I got that pig pitcher when she died. Last year I decided I would serve the custard from the pig pitcher. My 6 year old grandson yelled, “the pig is puking custard.” That lost some of the sentimental value.

Grandmother's Grits Souffle

1 ˝ cups uncooked white grits
6 cups cold water
1 lb very sharp grated cheddar cheese
1 ˝ sticks butter
3 eggs, beaten
4 tsp seasoned salt
˝ tsp cayenne pepper (I use Worcestershire sauce because we aren’t much on pepper.)

Preheat oven to 350.Bring water to boil and add grits slowly. Cook and stir until grits thicken, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients while the mixture is hot. Pour into greased 2 quart casserole. Bake for one hour.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #1893
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mona
Stats: 380/311/175 46y.o. 5'10"
WOE: VSG 11/14/11 Moderate LC
Chewie don't overdo it. Wow you are set to feed an army over there. Again, beg help from your family. You will tire very easily and you don't want to be too wiped out to enjoy Christmas.

Lucky is custard like pudding? Do you eat it just like that or serve it with cookies or something? Out of the mouths of babes (re: pig puking custard)

I just ran another load thru the D/W and handwashed all the tupperwares. I'm starting to get to the end of the mess in there. Counters/stove needs cleaning, and the floors, but I'm about done for the day. I need to start working on getting my laundry folded/hung up and put away. got my lunch packed for tonight. Just about set for another fabulous work week!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #1894

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Hi again. I remembered that I needed to unwrap all the kisses for the pb cookies. I unwrapped 2 whole bags and didn't eat a single piece. Trying to push my water---feeling a little bleck right now. I might have ds18 go buy my oil. I'm already getting tired and have tons more to do.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmama View Post
Well, Chewie, you'd better look into your employee job description and benefits a bit more then! No need to work at a decreased salary when you aren't required too, right?
I looked on the Arkansas unemployment website and couldn't figure out if I'd be eligible. My dh said he didn't think so since it's only part time and they are offering me another job. I wish I knew.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #1896

Woohoo--ds18 said he'll go to the store for me. What a sweetie.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #1897

Fred in his Christmas present from his Fairy Godmother.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #1898

Awwww, Fred looks so cute. Where's your snow? I thought you still had some on the ground.

Where's Ms. Eliza????? Deb???
Old 12-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #1899

And the boys are off to the store for me.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #1900
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kcmama
Stats: 200/190/150
WOE: modified low carb
Start Date: Sept 2010
Quote:
Our Christmas day menu got a little out of control. My dh got a goose which is really expensive cause it's organic. Plus I don't even like it not that I can eat alot anyway. Then I asked for a turkey breast. He couldn't find one so he got a small 12 lb turkey. Then yesterday my brother sent us a honey baked ham and my ds14 wanted the ham for christmas. I said Why not? So we sure will have lots of leftovers for sandwiches and such. I don't have the sides figured out yet---meal plan is on my to do list for today.
Wowsa! That is a lot of food! But on the flip side, you shouldn't have to cook too much after! I am making a pot of that 15 bean soup with the ham bone from Thanksgiving for dinner tonight. Shall also make cornbread to go with.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #1901
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kcmama
Stats: 200/190/150
WOE: modified low carb
Start Date: Sept 2010
Lucky, thanks for the recipes! so the custard is more liquidy vs set? I was thinking it would be somewhere btwn a flan and a creme brulee in consistency? But, it is pourable?

Chewie, sit down and put your feet up for a spell. You know, couldn't you have your boys empty the dishwasher and put dishes away, and also rinse the items you are using and put in the dishwasher after you mix everything up? I would think that right now would be the best time to get their help without too much complaining. LOL If you insist on doing everything nonstop they will think you are all healed from surgery and not be willing to do more around the house. wink, wink Oh, also, so you mix cranberry sauce with onion soup mix and pour it over the turkey breast to cook? About how long and do you cook with turkey breast facing down in the crockpot or up?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #1902

No our snow all melted. It is going to start snowing tomorrow though.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #1903

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
I'm making ham in my new rotisserie, baked beans (soaking and cooking the beans today), cheesy potatoes, grits souffle, broccoli, sliced tomatoes from our garden that have been ripening in the basement, hot rolls, and custard. (I make the custard in my crockpot.) I asked each one of my family what they wanted. The two littlest wanted the broccoli and tomatoes and my son and my mother wanted the grits. It's not a difficult menu, but I need time to get everything done and dishes taken care of. A few years ago, I could have whipped this out in one morning.
if ya get a chance custard recipe PLease?/
Old 12-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #1904

i think we are going to have turkey, gravy, dressing, pioneer woman's mashed potatoes, green beans, german chocolate cake , pumpkin pie, and banana pudding maybe custard
ya know i have not made a gooey butter cake this year HMMMmMm
Old 12-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #1905

Old 12-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #1906

I just ordered myself a christmas present: 10 bottles of sf syrup. I use it for coffee, baking and when I can eat it again---Greek yogurt. Plus I can use it in my protein shakes now too. I'm so excited. I got white chocolate, watermelon, salted caramel and lots of other flavors. YUM
Old 12-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #1907

Quote:
Lucky, thanks for the recipes! so the custard is more liquidy vs set? I was thinking it would be somewhere btwn a flan and a creme brulee in consistency? But, it is pourable?

Chewie, sit down and put your feet up for a spell. You know, couldn't you have your boys empty the dishwasher and put dishes away, and also rinse the items you are using and put in the dishwasher after you mix everything up? I would think that right now would be the best time to get their help without too much complaining. LOL If you insist on doing everything nonstop they will think you are all healed from surgery and not be willing to do more around the house. wink, wink Oh, also, so you mix cranberry sauce with onion soup mix and pour it over the turkey breast to cook? About how long and do you cook with turkey breast facing down in the crockpot or up?
Yes, that's how I do it. I put the turkey breast right side up. I think I cooked it on low about 6-7 hours???
Old 12-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkeversole View Post
i think we are going to have turkey, gravy, dressing, pioneer woman's mashed potatoes, green beans, german chocolate cake , pumpkin pie, and banana pudding maybe custard
ya know i have not made a gooey butter cake this year HMMMmMm
Oh those pioneer woman's mashed potatoes are the best PLUS you can make them ahead---I like that option.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #1909

Quote:

As for the boys, ds18 was still sleeping and the other is such a pain to work with. He has add and he drives me nuts sometimes. Today was one of those days cause he started emptying the d.w. but I threw him out of the kitchen. Just made me crazy. LOL
Old 12-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #1910

I'm going to have a warm cup of broth and then I think it's nap time. I'm already tired. Hopefully when I get up I can do more cookies--hope I have the energy.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #1911

Quote:
Wowsa! That is a lot of food! But on the flip side, you shouldn't have to cook too much after! I am making a pot of that 15 bean soup with the ham bone from Thanksgiving for dinner tonight. Shall also make cornbread to go with.
Hey so am I!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #1912
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lucky51
Deb, the custard recipe is posted above. Mona, it is drinkable. We put it in a cup and add coolwhip. My other grandmother used to make it thicker and you could eat it with a spoon. You add flour to do it that way.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #1913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lony View Post
Fred in his Christmas present from his Fairy Godmother.
i bet he likes that!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #1914

Quote:
Oh those pioneer woman's mashed potatoes are the best PLUS you can make them ahead---I like that option.
YES! and they reheated so fast at Thanksgiving!
Quote:
Deb, the custard recipe is posted above. Mona, it is drinkable. We put it in a cup and add coolwhip. My other grandmother used to make it thicker and you could eat it with a spoon. You add flour to do it that way.
thanks i hadn't read that far yet LOL i might make it a bit thicker and cut the recipe in half if kenny and Ashley come that day they will just sleep anyways from partying the night before and then back to her parents that afternoon so i am just planning on me Ken and Steven anyways hope it halves good!

Quote:
Oh, also, so you mix cranberry sauce with onion soup mix and pour it over the turkey breast to cook?
how did i misss thia ooh i bet that is good!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #1915

i slept in until 11:
ken and Steven have the rims off his car and going to get his present now 2 new tires for it! dude better appreciate that!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #1916

i gave my ham bone to Rexie i iz soo dumb
Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #1917

LOL, I figured I better use up this ham bone since I will have another on Tuesday. Fred gets the bones after they are cooked.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #1918

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Hi girls! How's everyone doing?

I slept in till 8:37, which is about 3 hours after my usual time. Been dragging self about the house since, doing nothing in particular. Need to go to the local supplement store to get some Arnica for my sore neck and shoulder but feel too lazy to get in the shower.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Hi girls! How's everyone doing?

I slept in till 8:37, which is about 3 hours after my usual time. Been dragging self about the house since, doing nothing in particular. Need to go to the local supplement store to get some Arnica for my sore neck and shoulder but feel too lazy to get in the shower.
does the arnica really work? i would have to order it online but i would if it would ease Ken's pain some
hope you are getting to feeling a bit better
Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #1920

BTW just got 2 more bottle of olive leaf extract in the mail thank you for telling me about it i guess i had better try to stock up on it in case ken does loose his job soon
Closed Thread