LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #1051
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pansies
WOE: Bending Elbow Less
Start Date: Restart Every darn mornin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky51 View Post
Linda, I wouldn't recommend OTC Abreva over the prescription. The Abreva was $22 for a little tiny tube that I used in one day. With my insurance, I got the prescription medicine for $50 and it has lasted over a week. Much better bargain.

I hope to finish my Christmas baking this weekend. We farm and I am behind on my accounting records. My husband wants me to take them to the CPA next week. Busman's holiday when I have to do accounting at home all weekend.
Abreva didn't help my dh either. He hasn't found anything that really helps when they start acting up. We've tried so many things.

How many acres do you farm? My family farms 500 acres in Ohio. I think you mentioned that you have cattle too, or not? We do corn and soybeans only now. Did you grow up a farmer's daughter too?

Got a couple cards off to little Abbi Lucas too. Thanks for letting us know about her. Just can't imagine - my heart goes out to all those with sick children.

Linda

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #1052
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: crazyone
Stats: 404/295.6/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 28, 2009
Linda I am on ths iPad.....

So it's hard to type on this thing.... He scared me he said my gums are vanishing after he said that my mind turned off from fear,..I need portion control which is why I like WW....Though I eat lower carb.,,,,low carb stopped working for me....I really am enjoying eating some fruit or a serving of French fries....until I binge! Grrrrr
Old 12-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #1053

Gallery: Lony
Stats: 357/230/160
WOE: Atkins(ish)
Start Date: July 6 2011
Oh I guess I should clean my kitchen.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #1054
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oksue View Post
Linda....the kids like all the cereal in their chex mix but no one is real crazy on the pretzels so I go light on them. They all love the little bagel chips so I put a ton of them
in with lots of mixed nuts and Cheetos.
Yes Jalapeno jelly is the same as hot pepper jelly. We eat it with townhouse crackers and cream cheese. Here is the recipe if you ever decide to make it. I make some red and some green for gifts. I'll put them in little pint sized jars.

Jalapeno Jelly
3/4 lb of jalapenos, cored and seeded

2 cups apple-cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
2 pouches liquid pectin

3 drops of green or red food coloring (optional)

Wearing gloves, wash, seed, and core the jalapenos. Leave seeds in 1-2 peppers if you like it hotter!
Puree them in a food processor with 1 cup of vinegar.
Pour into a medium sized pot.
Add the other cup of vinegar and all the sugar.
Bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
Allow to boil for 10 minutes.* Add the pectin and let it rapidly boil for one minute.
Remove from heat and skim the top if needed.
If desired, you can add food coloring.
Ladle jelly into clean, warm canning jars leaving a 1/4″ head space.
Wipe the rim of the jar and put on sterile lid.
Screw on the top.
Put in water bath for 10 minutes. Remove, let cool, and check for good seal.
Well, how about that - I never thought to put bagel chips or cheetos in the chex mix. See - when I say I'm not an adventurous cook, you have to believe me. Sure does sound good.

As for the pepper jelly - ummm - I made it ONCE with a friend at her house - and I never want to do it again. I somehow got some in my throat - thought I was going to pass out. I'm too much of a klutz to be trying that again. That's why I buy it...........it is soooo good.

Linda
Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #1055
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lony View Post
Hahahaha I am not sleeping. I was being a busy baking elf.

As promised here is a picture of my goodie baskets:
(all freshly made)

Sugar cookies
Lemon blacberry cream cookies
Peanut brittle
Butter toffee
Pecan tassies
Peanut clusters
Rocky road fudge
Peanutbutter fudge
And finally Mint swirl fudge.

Lony, OMGosh - this is absolutely beautiful. Did you wrap everything individually? I think I'm drooling. Yes, definitely drooling. Talk about eye candy.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #1056
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Oksue
Stats: 320/290/170
WOE: Healthy Eating
Start Date: 6/13/11
Linda....it is good hearing you are on the mend!!
Lony...please come on over and clean mine also while
you are in the cleaning mode!
Melinda.....let's dive in that toffee together. I do like toffee!!!!
Eliza....where R U?? I bet in the kitchen making Christmas goodies.
We haven't heard from Mona. Where are you Mona??????????????
I hope Deb is feeling better tomorrow.
I think I will call it a night.
Sweet dreams to all.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #1057

Linda....what really bugs me about Dr. Oz and this is no offense intended to anyone....is that whether it's the wheat belly diet, the HCG Diet, Weight Loss Surgery, the High Carb diet...The Caveman diet.. he is all gung ho and says hey maybe this will work for you.. but when it got to or gets to low carb..he like acts like your taking poison...and Gary Taubes was on.... and he Dr Oz was showing a typical day's meal... he mocked Mr Taubes.. it was horrible.. and so now I don't watch the man...

I don't know whether the diet is mental and sticking to a plan.. I don't know..I know for me when I get into a real emotional situation whether it be good or bad, I turn to food.. in a flash...

I remember a doctor telling my husband the 2nd year we were married.. he said any diet is fine as long as you stick to it and lose weight.. he told my husband all diets will make you lose weight, you just can't cheat and you have to exercise..

Back to Dr. Oz...I just think the biased he has towards low carb comes thru loud and clear...he will recommend taking Raspberry Ketones and all kinds of things.. but to cut back on white sugar and white potatoes and rice, eat protein and veggies and other things in moderation he turns his nose up...if they called Low Carb diet, the BLOB diet, I am sure he wouldn't object. but it seems to me the Low Carb part is what makes him all nuts and unwatchable..
Old 12-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #1058

Yummo Sue!!! I love nuts that's got toffee or chocolate...
Old 12-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #1059

Quote:
Originally Posted by pansies View Post
Lony, OMGosh - this is absolutely beautiful. Did you wrap everything individually? I think I'm drooling. Yes, definitely drooling. Talk about eye candy.
Yes, all the sugar cookies are individually wrapped and each candy and other stuff is in it's own bag. I am slacking this year, normally I put a big bow on the top of each bag but....Blah they are lucky to be getting what they are getting.

But thank you
Old 12-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyone View Post
Linda....what really bugs me about Dr. Oz and this is no offense intended to anyone....is that whether it's the wheat belly diet, the HCG Diet, Weight Loss Surgery, the High Carb diet...The Caveman diet.. he is all gung ho and says hey maybe this will work for you.. but when it got to or gets to low carb..he like acts like your taking poison...and Gary Taubes was on.... and he Dr Oz was showing a typical day's meal... he mocked Mr Taubes.. it was horrible.. and so now I don't watch the man...

I don't know whether the diet is mental and sticking to a plan.. I don't know..I know for me when I get into a real emotional situation whether it be good or bad, I turn to food.. in a flash...

I remember a doctor telling my husband the 2nd year we were married.. he said any diet is fine as long as you stick to it and lose weight.. he told my husband all diets will make you lose weight, you just can't cheat and you have to exercise..

Back to Dr. Oz...I just think the biased he has towards low carb comes thru loud and clear...he will recommend taking Raspberry Ketones and all kinds of things.. but to cut back on white sugar and white potatoes and rice, eat protein and veggies and other things in moderation he turns his nose up...if they called Low Carb diet, the BLOB diet, I am sure he wouldn't object. but it seems to me the Low Carb part is what makes him all nuts and unwatchable..
I have a friend who watches him every day. UGH every day she is messaging me about how she has this or that. I told her to quit watching that quack!!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #1061
Major LCF Poster!

I broke down and bought dh some See's scotch kisses for Christmas. He will be a happy camper for sure. Problem though - I bought 2#............bad me. Now I'm wondering just how long it will stay fresh - anyone? I plan on parceling it out.....trouble is - I need someone else to do the parceling. That is the end of my Christmas shopping.........I hope anyway.

Melinda - that's all I'm doing - watching the portion, keeping carbs under control, eating more veggies..............until I binge............then I start all over again. I need an on/off switch, seriously. I need tasty veggie recipes.........Is there such a thing? I mean I love veggies all loaded with butter, bacon..............then you lose the 'good' qualities of veggies.

Linda
Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #1062

Girls you can make the toffee so easily. Seriously..

1 cup of butter
1 cup of brown sugar.

Cook over med heat to 300 degrees. Pour over a buttered cookie sheet that is covered in almonds. Put some melted chocolate on top and add more almonds. DONE!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #1063

SO I am thinking about making this on Sunday...

Moo Shu Vegetables
By EatingWell.com

This vegetarian version of the classic Chinese stir-fry, Moo Shu, uses already-shredded vegetables to cut down on the prep time. Serve with warm whole-wheat tortillas, Asian hot sauce and extra hoisin if desired.

Recipe Ingredients
3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil , divided
4 large eggs , lightly beaten
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic , minced
1 12-ounce bag shredded mixed vegetables , such as “rainbow salad” or “broccoli slaw”
2 cups mung bean sprouts
1 bunch scallions , sliced, divided
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (see Shopping Tip)

Recipe Directions

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggs; cook, stirring gently, until set, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a plate.
Wipe out the pan and heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened and fragrant, 1 minute. Add shredded vegetables, bean sprouts, half the sliced scallions, soy sauce and vinegar. Stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the vegetables are just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the reserved eggs and hoisin; cook, uncovered, stirring and breaking up the scrambled eggs, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining scallions and remove from the heat.

Shopping tip: Hoisin sauce is a dark brown, thick, spicy-sweet sauce made from soybeans and a complex mix of spices. Look for it in the Asian section of your supermarket and in Asian markets.
Health Advantages: low calorie, low carb, low sat fat, low sodium, heart healthy, healthy weight.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #1064

Quote:
Girls you can make the toffee so easily. Seriously..

1 cup of butter
1 cup of brown sugar.

Cook over med heat to 300 degrees. Pour over a buttered cookie sheet that is covered in almonds. Put some melted chocolate on top and add more almonds. DONE!
Does that involve a thermometer???
Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #1065

Linda LOL I posted that recipe before I saw your post!! LOL

Listen I am not much of a veggie eater myself.. but I do love to stir fry veggies in simple oil and a little butter...
Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #1066

Linda.. that's my problem I binge like a horror movie..
Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #1067

I am also going to make this on Sunday... hubs and I really like Brussels sprouts...I do love this recipe...

THE BEST BRUSSELS SPROUTS RECIPE IN THE WORLD!!

The Ingredients.
serves 6
1 pound brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (ooh la la, fancy)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup water

The Directions.

Use a 2-quart slow cooker. Wash and trim the ends off of each Brussels sprout, and cut in half. Toss into the cooker. Add butter, mustard, salt, pepper, and water. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, or on high for 2 to 3. Stir well to distribute the sauce before serving. The sprouts on the edge get brown and bit crispy on the outer edge. This is a good, and not something to worry about!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #1068

Ok I am off to watch a show of mine!!!! Mind the store for me... LOL
Old 12-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #1069
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lucky51
Quote:
Abreva didn't help my dh either. He hasn't found anything that really helps when they start acting up. We've tried so many things.

How many acres do you farm? My family farms 500 acres in Ohio. I think you mentioned that you have cattle too, or not? We do corn and soybeans only now. Did you grow up a farmer's daughter too?

Got a couple cards off to little Abbi Lucas too. Thanks for letting us know about her. Just can't imagine - my heart goes out to all those with sick children.

Linda
My husband and I own 540 acres and my son farms another 2500. We only do corn and soybeans now. We also have lots of cattle. When I was working on the farm full time, we had lots of hogs. I blame those hogs for the knee problems I have today. I was also a farmer's daughter and was driving a tractor full time by the time I was 12. I loved working on the farm, but always resented the fact that my dad and twin brother read the paper while I had to help Mother get the meal on the table and clean up afterwards.

My daughter had a little boy go home sick today and couldn't be in the play tonight. She made her oldest son take the part since he was at every play practice. The part was made for him. Mostly he said "I'm hungry." Her play was great.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #1070

Quote:
Does that involve a thermometer???
LOL ya, sorry
Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #1071

Quote:
LOL ya, sorry
LOL....I have never used that
Old 12-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #1072

Lony.. one day when you get a second.. would you tell me what is almond bark.. and where do you find it??? baking section???? in this WW recipe I am looking it, it says reduced sugar almond bark....or was it fat...don't rememeber..
Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 AM   #1073

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Good morning! TGIF!

Hope everyone is having a good end of the week. It will be warmer here today. We were in the 50s, now we will be in the 60s for the weekend.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #1074
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Oksue
Stats: 320/290/170
WOE: Healthy Eating
Start Date: 6/13/11
Good Friday morning everyone!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:05 AM   #1075
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: CinnamonSpice
Your basket is beyond awesome, Lony....whoever is getting them are going to just freak out...and I LOVE peppermint bark...so, you really need to make it...
Old 12-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #1076
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: CinnamonSpice
Quote:
Good God Lonykins that looks better than sex!
I just read what you said..I hadn't gotten past Lony's basket picture before I posted...you said it better than I did...
Old 12-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #1077
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mona
Stats: 380/311/175 46y.o. 5'10"
WOE: VSG 11/14/11 Moderate LC
Good morning everyone! I went shopping yesterday and it turned into a half-a-day affair. I also stopped by my work and got a flu shot. I haven't been able to do it during normal working hours due to my nightshift schedule. All the previous years I've worked there they had mobile clinics at all hours but this year....I've been looking for 2 months and the flu shot people are never around when I am. Anyhow....finished getting the stuff for my gift boxes I'm sending out to the parents.

Woke up today with a horrible headache but took some aspirin and I'm better now. Doing baking round 2. I had planned on having everything ready and ship it out today but I'm not sure I'm going to make it. Might have to push it till Saturday. Hopefully things will get there in time. All our family is in SoCal with the exception of DH's dad and stepmom who live in Louisiana. They are the ones who have a bunch of land and are always trying to talk DH and his brothers into moving out there and living in a big commune.

So I've got some oatmeal butterscotch layered bars baking now. Just made some white chocolate macadamia nut dough that is now chilling. Earlier made some "easy fudge" and that is in the fridge chilling as well. I was going to make some peanut butter fudge as well but I am out of evap. milk and most recipes call for that and/or marshmallow fluff which I don't have either. I should have spent more time planning on what I was baking and making sure I had the proper ingredients. At least I have enough sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar and flour to choke a horse.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #1078
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mona
Stats: 380/311/175 46y.o. 5'10"
WOE: VSG 11/14/11 Moderate LC
Lony your goodie baskets are amazing! I can't believe you individually wrap the cookies! Wow.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #1079
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kcmama
Stats: 200/190/150
WOE: modified low carb
Start Date: Sept 2010
Quote:
I broke down and bought dh some See's scotch kisses for Christmas. He will be a happy camper for sure. Problem though - I bought 2#............bad me. Now I'm wondering just how long it will stay fresh - anyone? I plan on parceling it out.....trouble is - I need someone else to do the parceling. That is the end of my Christmas shopping.........I hope anyway.

Melinda - that's all I'm doing - watching the portion, keeping carbs under control, eating more veggies..............until I binge............then I start all over again. I need an on/off switch, seriously. I need tasty veggie recipes.........Is there such a thing? I mean I love veggies all loaded with butter, bacon..............then you lose the 'good' qualities of veggies.

Linda
My mother loves See's candies. I love their English Toffee. I have never heard of scotch kisses. What are they like? I would think they would last a good while in an airtight container. Did they come in a box? Is it wrapped in cellophane? The toffee I buy comes in a canister with a lid and lasts a long time. We have a store in the greater KC metro area that sells See's candies all year long.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #1080
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kcmama
Stats: 200/190/150
WOE: modified low carb
Start Date: Sept 2010
Good Morning All.

Well, dh has not gotten up yet so I guess that means that this is his Friday off. Tonight is his office party. Ugh. Hate going to places full of people I don't know. His company has over 3000 employees. Not all of them will go but there will be loooots of folks there.

Hey, do any of you do online banking? Saw something on the news last night about a hacking scheme that is supposed to happen in the spring to people who do online banking with large banks. Have you all seen that? They are telling folks to check their accounts daily and report any charges to your account that you know you didn't authorize. These hackers have already begun by taking very small amounts out of checking accounts then in the spring you will get hit. They said on the news last night that this group of hackers does not plan to entirely wipe out people's accounts. They will take differing amounts out from different people. It is based in Eastern Europe. So be vigilant with those accounts and check against receipts every day. I would keep my receipts for 90 days just in case. They said these hackers have already stolen $5 million from accounts in their testing phase. So beware. Forewarned is forearmed as they say.