LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
Feel Like I am Not Losing Enough..

I'm hoping you guys can share your experiences with me.

I started lowcarbing September 24th. I did not own a scale until about a week and a half after that date. First time I saw my weight I was 325 (but in reality may have weighed more before starting LC). It is now November 11th and I am down to 311, with a low of 310 when I weighed myself yesterday morning.

I am definitely happy with this loss... ecstatic even! But there is just this nagging little part of me saying "That's it? You should be under 300lbs by now!".

Was thinking of maybe doing a fat fast? Will have to read up more about it.

I think what worries me most is that in a few months my weight loss will plateau and I will be disappointed in myself for not losing more when I was "able" to.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

and to clarify... I am hoping people who started at over 300lbs can tell me how fast or slow their weight loss was. So far it seems I am losing a bit more than 2lbs a week.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I started at over 300 lbs--and I lost slowest at the beginning!

I am also post-menopausal, so my loss was slow, and I dropped all my weight at rarely more than a pound a week.

The advantage to slow loss is that you have time to adjust psychologically and physically (all the problems related to weight loss are from rapid weight loss). I was frustrated at time, but I focused on developing my WOE to make it a permanent change, and that has helped me maintain for almost 2 years now.

Scientists say that the human body cannot lose more than 2 lbs of fat in a week. Anything above that is water or muscle--and you want to be losing mainly fat.

Keep in mind that some of us never get the appetite suppression of low carb, and I've always needed to watch my calories. In fact, after I lost about 80 lbs I stalled for a while because I didn't realize that my 'smaller' body needed less food. As soon as I lowered my calories, I began losing again.

Now I eat a a low calorie level, but it's all my body really wants. It's my 'head' that wants to feed it more. Alas, all my 'food issues' from a lifetime of morbid obesity did not disappear with the weight--as I'd hoped they would. So maintenance is a constant challenge--but one that is definitely worth the effort!

Best wishes for a successful journey!
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
Although my weight started under 300, I do have to say that it has been slow goings for me all along...even when I started. Do not fret. Just journal your meals and be more resilient with what you put in your mouth. Oh, I always tell myself it took me 6 years to get this big, it might take me that long to lose it. And that is okay. And a fat fast is okay, but remember the #2 issues might come up.
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondie302
Stats: 305/254.4/180
WOE: LC - 20 grams per day
Start Date: March 6th, 2012
My highest weight was 315 lbs. I started this go round at 305 lbs (after gaining what I had lost before back).

My first 3 weeks I lost zilch. Nada. Nothing. I was so frustrated. Then, the weight started coming off little by little.

Three months into my weight loss, I stalled for 7 weeks. Yes, 7 weeks. I was a nut case but I hung in there. The support of the girls in the daily weighers thread was a huge part of my strength to keep going at it.

Eventually that stall passed too, and now Im stalled again. Been bouncing around the same 2 or 3 lbs for almost 4 weeks I think. Its frustrating again but I hang in there.

You know why I hang in there? Because it works.

I started at 305 lbs and now Im 255 lbs. Even with the horrendous stalls, all those little 1 lb here and 2 lbs there will eventually add up and give you a 'big picture'. If I had given up when I first started, I'd still be over 300 lbs. I would see others post here and think 'man, I wish I had lost 30 or 40 or 50 lbs like they have'....and you know what? Now I have. I have reached a point now where I've -become- one of those people I use to envy. Now I look at those who have lost 75 or 100 lbs and think 'man, I want to be where they are'. And I will be eventually. It just takes time. As frustrating as my current stall is, I look back and see Ive lost 50 lbs and smile. I have nothing to be sad about. I've been through enough stalls now to know they are only temporary and Im already 50 lbs down the road from where I started.

Im so glad I didnt give up. Hang in there and keep at it. If you eat LC, the weight -will- come off. Thats not a catch phrase, its not a slogan, its not a gimmick. Its a fact. My biggest advice to you? Stay strict LC and post on these boards EVERY day. As silly as it sounds, it really does help.
My highest weight was 315 lbs in February 2009, when I began to do LC. I began strict LC on April 6th 2009. On Sept. 05, 2009 I weighed in at 267 lbs - my lowest in 9 years. I have now slipped and put some weight back on.....so here I go....once again. Update: In sticking with it, I finally dropped below my Sept 5th, 2009 weight of 267 lbs on Sept 3rd, 2012. Almost 3 years to the day I'm finally back to 265 and nothing is going to stand in my way this time. I feel better than ever!

Last edited by Blondie302; 11-12-2012 at 12:33 AM..
Blondie302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I started at 285, and I have lost pretty slow the whole time. It works out to less than 2 lbs. per week. But guess what? I lost the weight!

I wish people would not feel so competitive with themselves or others about weight loss. As long as it's coming off, don't fret about the speed. I have found it really useful to track my weekly weight, so that I can see the downward trend over the past year. Even with a few bounces up some weeks, the overall trend was DOWN. And that's really what we all want, right? Slow and steady wins the race.
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: papajack
Stats: 416/205/?
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 2003
I started Atkins weighing in excess of 400 pounds!

I stopped dieting years ago, but for the past year, or so, I've eaten at what would be called "maintenance levels."

I say, "I stopped dieting years ago," because the way my wife and I now eat, we think of it as eating damned good food that makes us feel damned good!

Bamboozled, I can promise you two things..............1) If you eat according to your weight pal, you will lose weight, and lose it according to how your body dictates, and 2) You are like everyone who has ever tried to lose weight...............if you follow your plan 100% accurately, you will never lose as fast as you want to.

Number 1 is what we should be happy with, ...........whatever your body loses and how fast it loses, is all up to your body. You'll never stop wishing for #2, and that's just natural. I wish I was as smart and rich as Bill Gates, as handsome as Richard Gere, as young as Justin Bieber, and as well endowed as .............er, never mind.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/papajack/8.jpg
papajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all! It really sets my mind at ease to know other people have had these slow weight loss issues... I guess I can't compare to the weight loss I experienced when I was 18. I don't think my body works like that anymore. But that is ok.

A week ago I weighed myself at 310. Today, I was finally back down to 310. It has been frustrating in that sense but I am not frustrated, if that makes any sense? I can be ticked that the weight isn't coming off as fast as I want it to but in the end I have lost 15lbs in 2 months and that is absolutely something to be proud of.

I am going to start doing mini fasts of meat and eggs (or meat and cheese?) with a salad here and there. I don't want to lose too much weight all at once but I would like to see the scales go below 300. That is my main goal and I hope to reach it before Christmas!

Much love everyone. Your words never fail to inspire. This is such a great community! We are all in the same boat, but it is so nice to be able to talk to people who are around my weight.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Bamboozled, I is see your Way of eating is, "Low Carb South Beach-ish" If that means you're picking a plan, and changing it into something it ain't, then I'd suggest rethinking that.

I absolutely know that if a person picks a plan, studies whatever choice that might be, learn what to eat at what phases, and just do what the plans lays out, they'll be successful.

I went on Atkins about 8 years ago, lost around 150 lbs., and put the damned weight right back one. That happened because I was doing "Atkins-ish." I wasn't doing Atkins.

We screw ourselves up royally when we try to be the experts on what, and how, we should eat in order to lose weight. And, I've found that most of the "tweaks" people chose to add to their WOE is usually bad for 'em.

My 2 cents worth.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Lots of great advice!

I started at about 320 September 2011 and I've lost 80 pounds in about 14 months. That's more or less about 5 pounds a month. I finally just busted a 2 month stall and you want to know how I did it? I just kept on eating the same way I've been eating since Sept 2011. Sure I was pi$$ed that I was going up and down the same 3 pounds, but I knew it would eventually drop off and I would start losing again.

I know you want to wake up tomorrow and weigh 120 pounds, but that's just not going to happen. Forget about the numbers and concentrate on what you are eating. The numbers will take care of themselves.

Listen to Papajack! He knows what he's talking about because he's lived it.
greybb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajack View Post
Bamboozled, I is see your Way of eating is, "Low Carb South Beach-ish" If that means you're picking a plan, and changing it into something it ain't, then I'd suggest rethinking that.

I absolutely know that if a person picks a plan, studies whatever choice that might be, learn what to eat at what phases, and just do what the plans lays out, they'll be successful.

I went on Atkins about 8 years ago, lost around 150 lbs., and put the damned weight right back one. That happened because I was doing "Atkins-ish." I wasn't doing Atkins.

We screw ourselves up royally when we try to be the experts on what, and how, we should eat in order to lose weight. And, I've found that most of the "tweaks" people chose to add to their WOE is usually bad for 'em.

My 2 cents worth.
Hey, thanks for the advice!! Always appreciated.

I'm actually doing South Beach but much stricter. If I looked closely at it it is probably similar to atkins?

I eat nothing but meat, cheese, eggs and green veggies. I can't think of anything else I eat besides nuts once in awhile. My green veggies are lettuce, spinach, and broc (gonna start getting asparagus too). I am eating a pretty dang boring meal plan but honestly? I am not bored at all. I do not eat to eat anymore, I eat because I have to. A month ago I made a low carb lasagna, all ingredients were approved for south beach (maybe not the tomato paste but I didn't use much) and after I gained a lot of weight the day after eating it, I decided no more of that.

So basically I am doing a lower carb South Beach! At least I think it's lower carb?? I know when I was on SB years ago I was NOT nearly this strict and I ate a decent amount of Sugar Free sweet treats. I am not messing with any sweets this time around, seems to stall me.

There's nothing wrong with the way I'm eating is there? Here is the phase 1 south beach list of foods. South Beach Diet Food List for Phase 1

I put Low Carb South Beach-ish because South Beach is the food list taped to my fridge lol. But I am definitely eating stricter than SB, not more "freely".

My daily carbs are always under 25g and usually less than that. Sometimes I forget to eat my greens and eat nothing but meat and cheese all day. Woops.

Last edited by Bamboozled; 11-21-2012 at 07:24 AM..
Old 11-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
Lots of great advice!

I started at about 320 September 2011 and I've lost 80 pounds in about 14 months. That's more or less about 5 pounds a month. I finally just busted a 2 month stall and you want to know how I did it? I just kept on eating the same way I've been eating since Sept 2011. Sure I was pi$ that I was going up and down the same 3 pounds, but I knew it would eventually drop off and I would start losing again.

I know you want to wake up tomorrow and weigh 120 pounds, but that's just not going to happen. Forget about the numbers and concentrate on what you are eating. The numbers will take care of themselves.

Listen to Papajack! He knows what he's talking about because he's lived it.
Interesting. I know during stalls before when I was doing SB I would have carb days. Usually just one day, where I would eat some fries. Nothing major. Usually only ate one meal of carbs. I always found it helped immensely but I will try a meat and egg fast before "refeeding" this time.

I am eating very strict, I explained in the post above but Low Carb South Beach-ish is just because I followed South Beach before and am technically following it now however I eat nothing but green veggies, meat, cheese and eggs. I don't do any extras, don't treat myself to low carb desserts. I've been good, if I do say so myself.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboozled View Post
Hey, thanks for the advice!! Always appreciated.

I'm actually doing South Beach but much stricter. If I looked closely at it it is probably similar to atkins?

I eat nothing but meat, cheese, eggs and green veggies. I can't think of anything else I eat besides nuts once in awhile. My green veggies are lettuce, spinach, and broc (gonna start getting asparagus too). I am eating a pretty dang boring meal plan but honestly? I am not bored at all. I do not eat to eat anymore, I eat because I have to. A month ago I made a low carb lasagna, all ingredients were approved for south beach (maybe not the tomato paste but I didn't use much) and after I gained a lot of weight the day after eating it, I decided no more of that.

So basically I am doing a lower carb South Beach! At least I think it's lower carb?? I know when I was on SB years ago I was NOT nearly this strict and I ate a decent amount of Sugar Free sweet treats. I am not messing with any sweets this time around, seems to stall me.

There's nothing wrong with the way I'm eating is there? Here is the phase 1 south beach list of foods. South Beach Diet Food List for Phase 1

I put Low Carb South Beach-ish because South Beach is the food list taped to my fridge lol. But I am definitely eating stricter than SB, not more "freely".

My daily carbs are always under 25g and usually less than that. Sometimes I forget to eat my greens and eat nothing but meat and cheese all day. Woops.
Bamboozled, I don't know a thing about the South Beach way of eating. I'm sure there are people here who do know the ins and outs of the plan,and can give you an answer about how what you're eating confirms to what is called for in the plan.

However, I'm sure that if you're following the plan, and doing what the plan calls for, you'll need not do anything drastic to jump start a weigh loss.

In all honesty, you should know, .................. KNOW.............if "There's nothing wrong with the way I'm eating is there? " I strongly suggest knowing the inside and outside about what the plan you choose to follow calls for, what to eat in each phase, how to prepare it, etc. That knowledge should be as much a part of you as is the route you choose to use driving to work.

If you're in phase 1 of your plan, know everything there is to know about that phase. When you think it's time to move to the next phase, really educate yourself on what to do, and what not to do.

Although I've never looked at, or studied the South Beach Plan, I am confident it ain't rocket science.

Keep on keepin' on, girl friend. You're off to a great start!