Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Century Club
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 154
Start Date: Jan 2001
New Years Day 2013 Challenge!!! We Can All Do This!!!! Come Join Us!!!!

Come join us on the New Years Day 2013 Challenge 2013!!!! Think of the amazing things we can accomplish in two months!!! The rules are: No Rules! Feel free to join during any stage of this challenge!!!

Pick your own personal challenge based on whatever is important to you! and come report in whenever it suits you. Some will have a specific weight loss as a goal and some of us will have goals based only on desirable behaviors. A goal could be as simple as coming in to post .. Think outside the box. What do **you** need to keep you going?

We Can Do This

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Marking my place I'm leaving on vacation in a couple of days, so my plan post-vacation is to get back to my pre-vacation weight, so I can say I basically maintained during the end of this year, and start 2013 at my lowest weight (in my sig) and go down from there!

S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Thanks for starting the thread, MaryMary! What are your goals for the remainder of 2012?

Have a wonderful time, sorenkkg! Your vacation sounds fabulous - hope you manage to relax and pamper yourself whilst you're away. Sounds like a great goal to me - setting yourself up for an equally succesful 2013.

I hope, by writing down my goals here, it'll serve as a reminder to me to stick to my plan! My goals are:
  • aim for between 65/25/10 & 70/25/5 calorie ratios... including over Christmas
  • log my food daily in ******... including over Christmas
  • aim for the gym 3 times per week... including over Christmas
  • aim for between 1,200 and 1,500 calories daily... but maybe not over Christmas
  • check in on the forum daily to discuss and learn
  • try to find out what (if anything) works for TOM cravings

I'd love to be in a pair of size 14 pants by New Years Eve... but I'm not sure it's realistic to drop a size in just over 8 weeks. All I can do is try my best to stick to the bullet points above and see where it gets me!

I'm quite excited about this new challenge !
clanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:09 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
This end-of-the-year Challenge will be great for setting us up for a New Year--i.e., our "resolutions" could be simply continuing our success rather than starting 'over' as happens so often on 1 Jan.

My own goals are behavioral as they impact my weight.

-To maintain with a plan that eliminates my pattern of 'overeating/damage control.'

-To create more 'order' in my life--e.g., cleaning out closets, organizing drawers, etc. I find that when I am attentive to my surroundings, I am more focused on eating/exercising appropriately.

-To remain consistently in my maintenance window via weekly scale checks. (If I weigh more frequently, I begin obsessing, tweaking, etc.)

-To report progress weekly on this Challenge thread. In the past, I've just 'thought' about my goals during the Challenge, but this time, I want to re-visit them as part of my weekly weigh-in to assess my progress on a regular basis. [I've copied these goals into a Word file to keep on my desktop for convenience.]
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Hi everyone! I'm in for the next challenge.

My main goal: get that last pound off to hit my 100 lbs. lost mark.

Secondary goal: better control over nighttime eating. Stop and think before mindlessly putting something in my mouth, even if it is LC food.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Great goals - everyone!

I ended the previous goal at 175 lbs and fit into a new pair slacks size 12 - woohoo!
I have lots of size 18's and size 16's that I am willing to part with. Send me a PM if you would like them. They are Lee Riders in different colors, tan, olive, black, etc, i have lots of other sizes too that can go. I might just send to Savers, GoodWill or Salvation Army if there are no takers.

I am going to shoot for getting to 166 which would get me to 210 lbs down - so that sounds good but I would be happy at 169 lbs.

I also want to work of cleaning out my closet and giving away what I can to declutter.

I want to shoot for 10,000 steps a day - I could say on average for the week - because I blow it away on the weekend but only manage 4000- 6,000 / day during the weekday. Yesterday I walked the route inside my office - around the biggest circle inside the building and generated 400 steps so 6 trips around on a snowy, icy day would get me a mile and with the everyday walking, I could get to 5,000 easy during the week. I could add a couple extra trips up and down the stairs at work instead of a stair climber machine. Winter and cold have always put me down and I don't want that to happen this year.

I am going to try to treat each day as any other day so that Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years from food perspective are just another day that I eat my 3 meals a day. I am going to stay within the 1200-1400 calorie range. From logging in my foods in ******, it seems as if my fats are 40%, proteins are 30% and carbs 30% but when fiber comes into play, the net carbs are 20% of the total. It is consistent and rapidly becoming the new norm, a real habit, so it is getting to where I don't entertain the notion that one bite of carby stuff is an option.

Last edited by MaryMary; 11-02-2012 at 12:51 AM..
Old 11-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
-To create more 'order' in my life--e.g., cleaning out closets, organizing drawers, etc. I find that when I am attentive to my surroundings, I am more focused on eating/exercising appropriately.
Great goal, Leo, and so true! Do you mind if I borrow it for one of my goals as well ? There's going to be a lot of de-cluttering going on in this thread over the next 8 weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
My main goal: get that last pound off to hit my 100 lbs. lost mark.
So excited for you on this, Vilya ! If you had one single piece of advice ... what would it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
I ended the previous goal at 175 lbs and fit into a new pair slacks size 12 - woohoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
I want to shoot for 10,000 steps a day - I could say on average for the week - because I blow it away on the weekend but only manage 4000- 6,000 / day during the weekday.
What do you use to measure your distance, MaryMary?

Well, Day 1 of the new challenge complete, and all ok. I've been less organised with my food this week - I think the 'slug in the cabbage' incident put me off a bit as I have hardly eaten any of the vegetables I prepared in advance. Will spend half a day at the weekend ensuring that I have my meals sorted for next week... and may buy pre-washed, shredded cabbage if I can find it . No plans this weekend, other than some more DIY in the house, and the gym tomorrow morning.

Last edited by clanger; 11-02-2012 at 01:41 AM..
Old 11-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #8
Senior LCF member

Be my guest, Clanger.

I find that de-cluttering and organizing isthe same as exercise with me. I'm reluctant to do it, but I love the process and the result. I plan to use the same technique that keeps me 'regular' with exercise--i.e., when I'm feeling lazy, I remind myself that I actually enjoy it and love the result.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanger View Post
So excited for you on this, Vilya ! If you had one single piece of advice ... what would it be?
I think it would probably be: don't panic.

I think people get too caught up in tweaking their plan and doing everything "right." I'm not immune to this, but by and large I have managed to just live day to day and eat my food and not worry about it.

My regular pattern is to maintain for 4-6 weeks, then drop 3-5 lbs. During those weeks that I'm not losing, I just keep on eating as normal.

It's been a little more difficult mentally as I've gotten smaller, because I've had to cut my calories to continue on, but hey - don't panic! It will happen as long as I keep working it.
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/320/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Good Morning ~ Thinking about my goals for this challenge and will report back later.

Halloween was great .... I really have fun dressing up
Had a treat of red wine and russell stover s/f chocolates.

Mary ~ 10,000 steps
Thanks for starting the thread

Soren ~ Look forward to seeing your vacation pictures.

Leo ~ Love the idea of weekly challenge progress reporting.

Vilya ~ Excellent advice.

Clanger ~ Great goals.
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
Senior LCF member

Quote:
My regular pattern is to maintain for 4-6 weeks, then drop 3-5 lbs. During those weeks that I'm not losing, I just keep on eating as normal.
Vilya- I think it's great that you know your 'pattern' that way. 'Your' pattern only happened to me twice during my weight loss. My usual pattern was to lose just a pound a week, Then one month, I lost nothing for 3 weeks. I didn't panic because I knew I was staying on plan and within my calorie limits, and the 4th week, I dropped my 4 lbs for that month. The same thing happened the following month. And then I returned to my usual pattern of losing weekly.

What I suspect happens with 'your' pattern is that as we lose, our bodies resist and fill those empty fat cells with water as 'placeholders,' hoping the fat will return. Eventually, the body is forced to give up that water, and that's when the scale finally shows the loss.

I totally agree with you that it's important not to panic and begin tweaking too soon. In my experience, consistency is the key to weight loss.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
... don't panic! It will happen as long as I keep working it.
Thanks for some really sound advice, Vilya. Part of the reason I don't weigh is because I start getting impatient and then 'tweak' things when - really - if I just 'work the plan', I know the plan will work for me. Thanks for the reminder of this, Vilya .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindym View Post
Halloween was great .... I really have fun dressing up
Had a treat of red wine and russell stover s/f chocolates.
Glad you had a great time at Halloween, cindym! My mouth is watering at the mention of red wine . It's my tipple of choice, but I've been alcohol free now for 9 weeks and promised myself I'll remain so until Christmas . So I feel like I'm enjoying it vicariously if I hear that others are enjoying it too .

Had really bad cravings last night for a pizza and a bottle of red wine. I'd not prepared my lunch, so had been snacking on cheese throughout the day; and guess that must have sparked the cravings.

Fortunately I'd de-frosted an 8oz steak so fried that up, ate it with an alcohol-free beer and had an early night.

The strange thing was, I wasn't hungry at all - just craving pizza and wine.

Hope everyone's weekend has got off to a great start. It's icy here this morning (had to scrape it off my car for the first time this year), so hopefully the gym will be nice and quiet if everybody thinks it's too cold to go out .

Have a great day, folks!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

As I mentioned in my WL journal, I've been really hungry the past couple of days for no apparent reason. Today is better. I've been drinking the smoothies that I ordered a while back from LC Foods, and they are really tasty. I think they're good for the ol' digestive tract too, if you know what I mean.

I have chocolate, strawberry, and banana, and they are all good. You make them with a scoop of the dry mix, ice water, and 3 Tbsp. HWC. Total calories is 260. This morning I threw in a half-scoop of vanilla protein powder, just for the extra protein (the smoothie mix itself is only 12 g. protein).

Tomorrow is Weigh Day...
Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

As far as counting the steps, I found this watch at the pharmacy that lets me take my pulse, count the calorie burn, the # steps and Km or mile walked. It is based on the size of my step, my height and weight in lbs or kilos. I like it and wear it all the time. I find myself being a bit competitive with the watch, I like seeing the number of steps go up. Today I got up to 13,066 steps. We were raking again. But that project seems to be done for the year unless another big wind comes along.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:23 AM   #15
Senior LCF member

Weekly Check Up
My weight was 142 this morning, so that's my initial goal--i.e., to be within my goal range (141-43). My major challenge goal is to remain within that range during the upcoming weeks.

I got into my range by avoiding any episodes of overeating, but I must admit that with all the chaos of Sandy and the fact that my sister (who was without power) stayed with me for several days, I haven't had any urges to overeat, so I haven't yet been 'tested.'

To be pro-active about this, I'm reading a book that I saw recommended on another board, The Willpower Instinct. So far (just first chapter), the author affirms and explains the brain chemistry that I read about in Brain Over Binge, but this book will go beyond that to identify strategies for 'managing' that brain chemistry to curtail my 'urges' to overeat.

I've begun my attention to my environment and need to increase my de-cluttering this week.

I apologize if this is too much info, but reporting this way helps me focus on my goals.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

I think I'll let my new avatar speak for itself today.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

*drumroll please*

Quote:
I think I'll let my new avatar speak for itself today.
Yay, well done, Vilya !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I apologize if this is too much info, but reporting this way helps me focus on my goals.
On the contrary, Leo, it's interesting to see how other folk manage it. Well done on staying within range.

I made a version of Linda Sue's Jambalaya Soup today (with spicy chorizo, extra chilli and threw in some shrimp at the end as well). Boy it's good!

Last edited by clanger; 11-04-2012 at 08:59 AM..
Old 11-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Vilya, Congratulations! It's a great accomplishment and shows you are committed to having a healthier life.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Right, that's my meals for the week (and then some!) sorted and in the fridge and freezer! It's been a 'cooking weekend' this weekend.

10 portions of steak and kidney stew (the weather here is freezing, so it's good comfort food)
8 portions of quiche
7 portions of jambalaya soup
1 roast chicken
5 portions of mixed greens with minted butter
2 portions of chicken curry

For breakfasts, I have raspberries and blackberries in the freezer, various types of cheese in the fridge, fat bombs/coconut bark in the fridge, and some sort of low carb oatmeal stuff in the cupboard.

If I go off plan this week, it's not through lack of preparation !

In the spirit of 'de-cluttering', I've also taken an inventory of my freezer, and thrown out a handful of bags of 'stuff' I've obviously cooked at some point and frozen without labelling. Much as I hate to waste food, I have absolutely no idea (a) what it is; and (b) when I froze it .

Does anybody have a 'go to' meal or recipe you tend to fall back on? Am feeling the need to mix up my foods a little so it'd be good to know what you all eat!

Last edited by clanger; 11-04-2012 at 01:44 PM..
Old 11-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

My go-to "lazy" dinner is salami and cream cheese roll-ups, and salad. That's when I REALLY don't feel like cooking!

I'm in awe of your prep! That's pretty impressive.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

I was cooking today too for the week. I cooked some flounder and tilapia to go with my lunch veggies and salad. I did a mix of sauteed onion and portabello mushrooms with kale and spinach, spaghetti sauce and some leftover hot salsa. It feels good to get rid of some jars of stuff in the frig. I cooked some roast beef in the crock pot for hubby and some bacon to go with my morning egg.

I actually bought a Ninja that can blend, chop and crush ice. It is the $44 version not the Ninja 1100. I figure I will try it for a week and see if I want the 1100 instead. I can bring it back for an exchange. I hope the little one I bought can grind seeds. If not, it will definitely go back. Has anyone ever used one?

I want to try some coffee flavored soy milk that is sweetened with spelnda and mix it with ice and soy protein powder. I can't handle the whey protein powder so i'll get to see what it tastes like.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Sunday ~ I'm still working on my goals Having trouble with inspiration.

Been a good weekend eating wise and busy wise. Not so good, with having a fight with DH and issues with DD who rents our condo

Have not turned to food for comfort

Clanger ~ Way to go avoiding alchol and preparing for the week
Your soup sounded delicious !! I think one of my fave meals is taco salad, spicy ground beef on top of shredded lettuce, grated cheese, salsa and sour cream

Vilya

Leo ~ Is everything okay with your sister now? The devastation as seen on the news is horrendous.

Mary ~ Never used one and must confess I'm not even sure what it is.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #23
Senior LCF member

Hi Cindy-
Thanks for asking. Yes, my sister had her power restored, and fortunately there was no flooding or other damage to her home. There was a press conference with the governor and NYC mayor yesterday, and my sister's county has the most people still without power, so she was fortunate.

She's also fortunate in being retired and not having to worry about how to get to work. As you've probably seen on the news, not only is public transportation in NYC in turmoil, but we've had fuel shortages, and most gas stations are closed for lack of fuel to sell. I think that was all resolved yesterday.

The many, many people whose homes were flooded are still homeless.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Cindy, I had never heard of the Ninja before so I watched a video on UTube. The super deluxe model is the Ninja 1100 or 1200. I saw it at Sams Club for $110 including the cookbook. It was tempting but I had to ask myslef if I would use all the gizmos. I settled for the Ninja Master Prep for $44.95. I made a smoothy with it this morning and it was delicious. Nondairy milk, protein powder, fresh strawberries with ice. It can make snow ice too.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

New Year’s Day “2013” Goals

1. Exercise (park farther away from the entrance to get in extra steps)
2. Eat Slower (appreciating the taste and flavors of the food)
3. Breathe Deeper
4. Gratitude Journal
5. Food Journal
6. Plan Meals

Leo ~ That is awesome about your sister and yes, I have been following the news. Hard not to. Just shows how powerless we are over nature.

Mary - I googled it and yes, it looks neat. Glad that you enjoyed your shake today.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Mary - I have that same Ninja, and I love it. It makes great smoothies.

Cindy - I like your goals, especially #1.

I have some leftover rotisserie chicken in the fridge, so I'm going to finally make the Butter Chicken recipe that it's the Recipe forum. It sounds divine!
Old 11-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the meal suggestions, everyone. That's given me some ideas for the weekend.

Please report back on the butter chicken, Vilya! Is it this one?

Ingredients
1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
1 fresh chili (about 1 oz.), rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
1 tablespoon salad oil
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 pounds chicken, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1/2 teaspoon coarse-ground black pepper
Salt
1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter or margarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindym View Post
2. Eat Slower (appreciating the taste and flavors of the food)
What a fantastic goal, cindym !

We spend so much time thinking about food, shopping for it, and preparing it, we really should take the time to really enjoy it.

MaryMary, that ninja thingy looks great - gets some fabulous reviews on amazon.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Hello ~ I avoided Birthday Cake today

Thanks Vilya ~ Love butter chicken. If the recipe is good, please share.

Clanger ~ If it is the same recipe, is sounds
Old 11-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

To those who could, did you vote today, and exercise your freedom to choose? If it's not too late, please go and vote. No need to tell who you voted for.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #30
Senior LCF member

Cindy- Good job resisting birthday cake! I have a terrible sweet tooth, and birthday cake is a real temptation--and rarely worth it in the long run.