Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Century Club (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/)
-   -   Spanx (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/784282-spanx.html)

trishthedish 09-29-2012 07:04 AM

Spanx

For those of us in the Century Club, substantial weight loss comes with some jiggly bits. I want to purchase my first pair of Spanx to wear under my trousers and skirts at work. I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for a Spanx product that works for our unique needs.

Have you worn them and what are your favorite Spanx products?

Leo41 09-29-2012 07:48 AM

I bought them--and hated them. Yes, they made me 'smoother,' but my pants were actually tighter when I wore them, and I looked fatter than I was.

I prefer light shapers that I get from JC Penney. They are much, much less expensive, comfortable, and do the job of keeping the 'jiggle' in check.

IMO, Spanx are more a miracle of marketing, with help from Oprah.

ravenrose 09-29-2012 09:31 AM

my favorite are whatever is really cheap at Ross. the retail price of those things makes me faint.

I agree you have to pay attention to getting something that actually helps. the fat roll that shows around "panty girdle" type things on the thighs is particularly unattractive!

I like the Avenue Body items sold by Avenue better than the larger sizes of the regular brands like Spanx. The Avenue things are all made for plus size women and are more realistic about our bust/waist/hip/butt ratios, in my opinion.

good luck

trishthedish 09-29-2012 05:48 PM

Thank you ladies! There is an Avenue and a Penney's nearby. I've heard you can get a good bra fitting at my local Penney's, so maybe I'll treat myself to a new minimizing bra too.

I want to start 'packaging' my goods well. Makes me enjoy me new and improving body and that in turn keeps me motivated to continue. ;)

Leo41 09-30-2012 06:34 AM

That's a really good idea! In the middle of my weight loss, I was fitted for a bra, and it was one of the best things I ever did for myself. It really inspired me to stay with my plan. Too often, we delay until 'goal,' but it's really good to do these positive things along the way--at least in my experience.

Jazlyn 09-30-2012 11:37 AM

I buy mine at Ross too. I always make sure I buy the bottoms that come all of the way up to my boobs or I have a line.

Vilya 10-05-2012 11:24 AM

I'm actually wearing Spanx right now! :laugh:

I also have a tank top shaper that I really like, that I got at Catherine's. And I've found great deals at Kohl's.

Actual Spanx brand items are never on sale that I've seen, and they are expensive!! That's why I only have one piece!

trishthedish 10-09-2012 08:48 AM

For now (since money is tight and I am continueing to lose weight) I decided not to invest in the Spanx. Instead I bought a 3 pack of control top pantyhose at Kmart for $5.99 and cut the legs off. Viola!! A cheap shaper!:)

Serenity_Rose 10-12-2012 07:48 PM

I haven't worn them in a while, but I used to buy the Assets brand, which is just Target's version of Spanx. I really liked the high-waisted shaper, it went all the way up to my bra line, so didn't create a weird line/bulge in the back. I found them plenty comfortable.

Lately, I've taken to wearing a shaping camisole and pantyhose or tights, however. I'm just more comfortable that way. A lot of it is just personal preference and trial and error...

txblondgrl 11-12-2012 02:58 PM

I honestly can NOT put Spanx on at all. They just do not go on my body. It's like trying to pull on an extra layer of skin. I have this problem with pantyhose too (I can't put on control top at all). I don't use anything to hold in my weight...I figure with these items, it will just spill out somewhere else anyway.

Rayne_W 11-14-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txblondgrl (Post 16074831)
I honestly can NOT put Spanx on at all. They just do not go on my body. It's like trying to pull on an extra layer of skin. I have this problem with pantyhose too (I can't put on control top at all). I don't use anything to hold in my weight...I figure with these items, it will just spill out somewhere else anyway.

I know what you mean. If I use spandex/'control' garments, I wind up looking like a rubberbanded marshmallow.

JayLynn 11-27-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayne_W (Post 16078085)
I know what you mean. If I use spandex/'control' garments, I wind up looking like a rubberbanded marshmallow.

:hyst::rofl::hyst:

I would love to find a good longline front hook bra that actually fits. I need a 48 or 50D
The spanx like garments are too much of a struggle to put on and take off....although I'm sure I could use the exercise...LOL

Rayne_W 11-27-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayLynn (Post 16103649)
:hyst::rofl::hyst:

I would love to find a good longline front hook bra that actually fits. I need a 48 or 50D
The spanx like garments are too much of a struggle to put on and take off....although I'm sure I could use the exercise...LOL

They're positively exhausting!

The last time I used spanx/body shapers was almost 5 yrs ago for my wedding. At about the halfway point of putting them on, they just stuck...would not go past my upper thighs. So there I was, unable to move my legs to get help, and in panicky hysterics that I would eventually be found, helpless and hog-tied-by-spanx, some hours later when I didn't show up for my own wedding.

They eventually cooperated, but I swear my face was swollen from displaced butt fat. :laugh:

JayLynn 11-27-2012 11:22 PM

Okay girl, you got me laffing so hard I'm gonna pee! you know I'm the one with the DDPP right? :rofl:

Glad you finally won over the underwear hogtie. Oh what we girls go through to be beeeeeautiful! lol