Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 04:20 AM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Hi,hope everyone enjoys their weekend.I have no plans this weekend.One of my dear friend died yesterday and I'm feeling down about that.It was just a shock her blood pressure was high so she was admitted to icu they finally got it down but it went too low and she passed.We thought her husband was gone to bring her home but while he was there she got worse and died.Vicki the plan sounds good I mainly try and stick with meat and veggies myself.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #242
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Winifred---- I'm so sorry you lost your friend.

Liz---yay on the win!! Sounds like lots of great eats! I like bison and I remember having elk long ago but don't remember much about it. Super Target used to have grass fed bison....can't remember if I've seen that there lately or not. When you say boursin stuffed filet---boursin cheese???? If so---that is my favorite cheese! And when you say filet---was it a steak filet or fish or what? I'm thinking I need more info as I might want to try making this myself!

That sucks on the house thing. So will you have to be there when someone comes to make the repairs?

Swelling is coming down---the main/big swelling is down so now I can see the 'lumps' of swelling in certain places more clearly....which is good in that I'm healing but I don't like the lumps. My hair is really flat and ick looking which I've read is common after any kind of face/head surgery. Not good when I need it to fluff up and cover some of the scars and swelling. But, such is life. I definitely like the looks of my neck a zillion percent better. My face still looks a bit deformed and ET'ish so the verdict is still out on that!

Went to the farmer's market this morning and for 11 bucks I totally cleaned up! Amazingly pretty much everything I got was chemical free and/or organic so I really did well. I bought a bag (guessing 1/2 lb or more) of baby sqaush---zuchs, yellow, patty pans and I'm not sure what else. They are so cute I almost hate to cook them! But never fear---I will be cooking them! I also got these baby eggplants. I really never have much luck with eggplant---everything I make I like it for the first serving but leftovers are yuck to me. So I thought by buying the baby ones I won't have to worry about leftovers. I got a bunch of other stuff too so I am more than set for veggies for the week. Did a ton of errands this a.m. and getting ready to go back out in a bit. Need to go check out a couple of consignment stores as I think I will take some of my stuff there---just need to figure out what kinds of stuff they sell, what the rules are, etc. Also going to go do the same at Half Price Books. Then I'm going to Whole Foods....not cause I need anything---just for fun. You know you're a foodie when your idea of fun is going to WF.

Last edited by Teresa123; 08-25-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Old 08-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #243
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
LOL, Teresa, you crack me up. Baby veggies, how cute.

Winnifred, so sorry to hear about your friend.

Haven't been 100% on plan but working towards it.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much.Its always nice to get fresh veggies,they taste so much better.Vli you will be okay with your plan.I'm doing good with drinking water and zero sugar sparkling water drink thing from walmart.Staying away from starches most of the time so I'm getting better.Taking a lasix everyday.So hopefully I'll lose more than 2 or 3 pounds a month now.On my way to bed I want to go to church at 8am service.Have a good day.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #245
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
WINIFRED...... I'm so sorry for your loss! Sending you and all of your dear friend's loved ones many prayers :sprayer:
I hope you had a good church service.

TERESA.... it was indeed boursin cheese stuffed beef filet.
Delish!
I'm so glad you're liking the look of your neck and that the swelling is going down!:jump joy:
I know what you mean about cute lil baby veggies...they are cute!
I prefer the smaller eggplants because I find that they are less bitter and have a nicer texture.

I've been a foodie hangin at whole foods for years!

VICKI... progress not perfection. You'll get there!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #246
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning ladies!

I do not want to be at work today. Not for any particular reason....I was just enjoying the non-working life a lot!

I took a pic of my cats playing with my baby veggies---I'll have to post that later. I did of course let them play with them before I cleaned and cooked them. I found a Paula Deen recipe that I used them in---some kind of cheesy squash casserole---very yum!

Ran into a huge snag with my home cleaning/organizing extravaganza. Yesterday I worked on the bathroom--thinking it would be the easiest because I keep it pretty clean, just needed to organize some of the drawers/med cabinet/etc. Well, ends up I have a leak under the sink and a bunch of my stuff that was stored under there was ruined and there is mold. Ugggg. Going to have to call maintenance and get them over there this week. The mold is in the wood so I think they are going to have to replace the whole vanity.

OK--back to work. Been working on reading (actually mostly deleting without reading ) e-mails all morning....only 1710 left to go....
Old 08-28-2012, 06:09 AM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

Is anyone else ready for fall weather? I'm looking forward to fall foliage and cool weather which will make walking outside a pleasure.

I'm making Linda Sue's mexican casserole tonight. I use the first recipe but add mexican shredded cheeses. I love casseroles because they will last us a few days. MEXICAN SPINACH & HAMBURGER CASSEROLE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

TERESA..... Have you seen the pasture butter at WF? I think it will be out of season soon so I wanted to mention it to you. I just got some and YUM.

I'm sorry you had to go back to work and I'm especially sorry that you have to deal with over a thousand emails That is cruel! I hope you were able to get caught up.

I want to see the pix of the cats with the baby veggies! Please don't forget to share.

YUCK on the mold! Sorry you're having to deal with that! That happened to me at my old house under my kitchen sink. I had a zillion cleaning products down there and I didn't notice a very small leak.
They were able to just replace the bottom area under the sink with new wood. It was a rather inexpensive fix.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iminit4me
Stats: 315/258/140
WOE: Atkins NANY/Exercise
Start Date: May 2010
Hi everyone - Sorry I've been MIA. Super busy at stupid work. Only 13-1/2 months to go. Woo-Hoo!! And yes, I'm counting! And dreaming of how much closer to goal I will be a year from now. I'm doing well and keeping up with the exercise. Feeling so good these days!

Can't believe you're talking about leaks under the sink. I just found one under the kitchen sink too. It's been very slow for a little while now, because I had to throw away a can of window cleaner. My SO is supposed to be working on that today. How I wish I could afford to just replace the whole counter and cupboards. It's very old and really needs to go. One of these days. Just so funny how we all go through the same things.

Winifred - So sorry about your friend. Seems like we're all losing friends way too soon. One more reason we have to all keep taking good care of ourselves and beat this obesity devil. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Teresa - Glad you're doing so well. I imagine it's hard to believe you're already back at work. I know what you mean about the emails. I was off 8 weeks for my hip replacement. Thought I'd never make it through them all. UGH!

Liz - Oh yeah - I'm sooooo ready for fall. Having a lovely 70 something day today, but right back to the upper 80s by Thursday and 90 for Friday. YUK! But I'm praying for my sis in New Orleans right now. She's not evacuating, so I'll be very happy to hear they're all okay once Isaac passes through. Fingers crossed!!

Vicki - Hang in there. We all have our rough days. Exercising has been keeping me focused and feeling great. When I reach for something, I think "Why did you do all that work just to undo it for something that's going to be 'a moment on the lips and a lifetime on the hips'?" Makes it easier to say no to myself. We're all here for you.

Gotta run. Time to hop on the bike and head for home. Take care everyone!

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.
- Thomas A. Edison
Old 08-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #249
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey ladies! This is gonna have to be a drive by post. I'm pooped and all I want to do is eat and go to bed. But I'll try to get here in the morning to catch up!

Nighty night! <<<I'm very excited about just crawling into bed and doing nothing!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

CYNDY.... thoughts and prayers to your sister & family and all of the people in N.O.:sprayer:

How long has she lived there?

I am originally from New Orleans. I lived there over 30 years.

KUTGW with your exercise! You're doing great!

TERESA.... I hope you get some good sleep tonight!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:57 AM   #251
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning!

Liz---nope, no good sleep last night. I even took a melatonin too. Oh well, maybe tonight. So did you make the casserole? Was it good? I can't wait for fall!! I am so done with this summer...I want to be outside enjoying the weather not hiding out in the air conditioning all the time. I heard on the news last week that they are predicting another mild winter----I sooooo hope that is true! I will post some kitty pics this weekend. Oh--and I did get some pastured butter at the store---found it on sale and stocked up!

Cyndy---wow, I hope your sis is OK too. I tried to catch a few minutes of the news this morning while I was getting ready but didn't hear an update on the hurricane, I think I'll go out and check on line and see whats going on. 13.5 months to go---I would be on the count down too!!! There was a guy at work last year that did a daily countdown for a full year---every time we would see him in the hall we would ask him how many days! My understanding is that he kept a positive attitude and was a great worker to the very end which was amazing to me considering how focused he was on being done with it all! I have a feeling when I get to my last year I might be pretty worthless!

Well, lots to get done and no one seems to want to do my work for me so I guess I better get to it!

Vicki?????
Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #252
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm skipping breakfast this week and eating a large protein portion for lunch. It is really helping keep my hunger level down and I get to snack in the evening when DH is eating.

TERESA....sorry about your sleep situation Hopefully tonight you will make up it. I'm feeling like I really want a nap and I slept over 8 hours last night

The casserole was good but a bit greasy. I've made it before and didn't have this problem. I guess I didn't drain the ground beef enough DH said it was "spicy". He is such a flavor wimp!

What did you think about the pasture butter? Can you tell a difference in the appearance and taste? I found mine to be more vividly yellow and it has a bit of a different taste. Where'd you find it on sale?

I hope you get caught up on work SOON!

Are you off for Labor Day?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #253
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey ladies---happy Thursday!! Although it's almost over now.

Liz---good idea on the big protein lunch so you can have some snacky poo's with hubby! So are you still doing that nutritional ketosis thing? If so--what exactly do you eat and/or what's the premise of the plan?

I love the pasture butter---yum! That and all the irish/european style butters--some pastured some not---are my favorites! They are a bit darker yellow and the texture is different when you cut off a chunk...but melt in your mouth good. I found it in the health market at our local store---on sale and it was 10% off day.

I am off for LD and looking forward to it very much! Planning on doing some more cleaning and organizing and actually I'm excited about it. I think I made a big enough dent in it that it no longer seems overwhelming, everything I get done makes me that much happier.

Work has been crazy and will get nothing but crazier for the rest of the year. I have a couple big deadlines to hit asap and then some pressure will be off...but then there is always the next thing....
Old 08-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Hello everyone! First things first, my sister and family are fine. Not sure if they got flooded too badly, but she posted on Facebook with a little video like she was a weatherperson on TV talking into a huge spatula. We're a family of clowns, y'know. Thanks for your concern. She has lived down there about three years this time. She was down there for 17 years, then came home to Michigan for 10 years. When her marriage fell apart, she went back. She's always loved NO. I can't imagine why. The weather alone would be reason enough for me to avoid it. But to each his own. I kind of think she doesn't like to be real close to the family and all the rest of us live in Michigan now that my brother is back. At least I have a place to stay if I ever make it down for Mardi Gras!!

Teresa - I've tried melatonin too and it seems to help me. I use the one you put under your tongue. It gives me vivid dreams though. I don't have to take it every night and I think the exercise has me sleeping better, but there are days when nothing can shut my mind down. Even when I don't sleep hardly at all, once my head hits the pillow, it's like a switch goes on and everything floods my brain and I lay there for hours. How I wish I could just drop off and sleep until the alarm sounds. If you ever find a solution, let me know. I sympathize with your plight. Is it because you're uncomfortable from your surgery or do you have this problem all the time? Here's hoping it's just a temporary problem. Still can't wait for your pictures.

Gotta run for now. Going to take off at noon so I can take my sweetie golfing for his birthday. He doesn't know I'm getting off early, so I'll just show up in the front yard on my bike. He won't even hear me coming since I'm not panting anymore by the time I get there. Tee-Hee! Looking forward to a fun afternoon. Hope you all have a superb holiday weekend. Isn't it wonderful how wonderful we feel now that we're on the right track. I just love this way of life!!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone!

I can't believe August is almost gone! It feels like it went so fast!

CYNDY....I'm glad your sister and family are ok! N.O. is a fun place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there again. I hope you get a chance to visit during Mardi Gras!
When is your sweetie's birthday? Mine is tomorrow. That is sweet of you to take him golfing! I hope you have fun!

TERESA... I've never really done the nutritional ketosis. I briefly read on it and felt like it was similar to atkins. I did enjoy measuring my blood ketones though.

What I am finding works the best for me is to watch my portions and stick to whole foods that are lowish carbs.

Are you still monitoring your hunger levels? What was that plan called?
Is it at all similar to intuitive eating?

YAY for having a long weekend!!! It's really great to see all of the jumpy happy dudes in your post!:jump joy:

But you're excited about cleaning & organizing?? Did you hit your head or something??

Do you have any other special plans for the weekend?

It is supposed to rain here all weekend and DH is on call so I won't see him much.

I hope everyone has a wonderful fun weekend!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #256
Big Yapper!!!!

Liz--- Any special plans today??

Well, I thought I was here yesterday morning....but apparently I didn't have anything to say?!? Yesterday was kind of a crazy day at work--I was the only manager in our group there so I was fielding everything for everyone. I usually love it when it's just me because I get a lot more work done but not so yesterday. I probably should go into the office this weekend and try to finish up what I was working on....but I don't wanna ....so we'll see if I actually do it!

Cyndy---Happy B-day to your sweetie! What a nice surprise--I hope you both had a great time!! So you take a sublingual melatonin...I don't think I've ever seen that before. Where do you buy that at? I've had sleep problems for about 5+ years now. I typically don't have any problem falling asleep---it's staying asleep long enough to be rested. I do fine on 6 hours a night but go through spurts where I'm lucky to get 3-4 broken up throughout the night and after several days or weeks of that I'm just worn out. It started about 6 months after I started low carbing---but also at the same time I developed/grew a huge tumor on my ovary (tumor and ovary were removed) so I've never been totally sure which thing really caused the problem but it's never totally resolved itself. I do know when I'm eating low carb (in ketosis) or high protein it gets worse....but other than that I don't really understand the cause. Anyway--I've found that melatonin works for me if I only use it very occasionally. If I use it a few days in a row it loses it's 'magic!' But this time it didn't work at all. I've seen some time released melatonin that I think I will try out soon but would also like to hear about the kind you are using. Sorry for the long story!

Liz---yes, I'm still following the hunger scale. It's not exactly a plan, just a method I guess. I don't follow it all the way though---just using the initial part about eating only when hungry....I don't stop eating when hunger is gone, I go beyond that! I've had some cool experiences with it in the last several weeks. I have been so rigid throughout my journey about eating 3x a day, pretty much at the same times of day and sticking basically with whatever I have planned for my meals....which I try to keep very balanced (for me) and of course tasty! Although I don't perfectly adhere to those things every day---90% of the time I do and have for the last almost 6 years. If I'm not hungry I eat if it's time to eat. If I'm hungry and it's not time to eat, I don't eat. Basically I have never trusted my body or my hunger signals but this has really helped me to break out of some of that rigidity. For a couple days right after surgery and then a couple days before TOM last week I was really hungry. So I ate when hungry---even if it wasn't time! I still kept things very balanced and ate the foods I know work for me, but I definitely ate more. Honestly, that really freaked me out to do that---kind of letting go of some of the control that has been so important for me to succeed in this journey. But I decided to trust it and just let go. Well lo and behold for the days following the hungry days---I wasn't hungry much at all. I followed my hunger on those days as well and it all balanced out. Who would have thunk that my body knows what its doing and what it needs?!! I know that is something that most people already do instinctively. I've read many times on this board people eat that way but honestly my body (or more likely my head) was so whacked out when I started this whole process I just couldn't trust or understand my hunger cues....now I'm getting it! Whew---another long story but seriously---these are such valuable lessons for me and things that give me at least a little bit of freedom over the rigid control I felt that I had to have before---and in turn it seems to help with the food/weight obsession. Don't get me wrong, I have a long ways to go but it already feels like such a relief! I'm not really sure if this is anything like IE---that's one plan I've never really looked at because I never believed I would be able to eat intuitively so the thought of it always just made me chuckle. Maybe one day I'll look into that but right now just listening to my hunger and understanding what it's about---and allowing myself to start to trust it---is enough for me! I'm still paying attention when I'm eating to when I stop feeling hunger, when I start feeling satisfied, etc. but I am not making any changes for the most part in the amount I eat once I start eating---that will be my next project.

I know--it's crazy that I'm all excited to clean and organize! I've been avoiding my back room which has basically become a huge storage/junk depository for years now, and honestly in every place I have ever lived I have had a room like this. Well---it's time to let it all go! I've tried many times to do this and every time I get rid of a little bit of junk but mostly shove it all back in boxes and bins and then over time just add more. Well--I'm done with it! Today I have an appt at a consignment store to take in a bunch of stuff and I also have a large pile of things to go to Good Will. I have the majority of the stuff sifted through now but I have a few more boxes I haven't started on yet so I plan to do that this weekend also. Once that is all done---then I'm going through all my stuff in all my rooms and streamlining things. I have no idea what has gotten into me...but I like it!

Well---let me add another Birthday to the weekend---Miss Chloe Squeakerbutt is 2 years old today! OK---actually since she was born in a barn no one actually knows her real birthday but I assigned Sept 1 to her since it's easy to remember! She loves it when I sing (probably because it sounds like squeaking to her ) so I've already sang Happy Birthday to her a few times this morning. She is loving up all the extra attention she is getting---and Jaden of course is getting jealous. Oh---that reminds me---I will post some pics of them later.

OK---off to get some stuff done. Be back later!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #257
Big Yapper!!!!

I haven't watched this yet but was reading about it in a magazine and it sounds like something right up my alley! When I went to look for it this guy has tons more vlogs about sugar including recent/updated stuff but I wanted to start with the original. Anyway--can't recommend it yet but thought I would post it here while I'm thinking about it in case anyone else is interested.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #258
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everybody!

I spoke to Linda (DENMW) earlier today. She is doing FANTASTIC!!! Over 60 days on plan and losing lots of weight! I'm so proud of her. She asked about everyone here.

TERESA... Thanks for the birthday wishes! I don't have any special plans for today. Hubby is on call and I had to deal with an electrician for most of the day. I'm a real party animal, huh? I'm not big on celebrating my birthday...I keep hoping if I ignore it I don't have to add a year on to my age

Thanks for sharing re. your eating method!
What you wrote makes a lot of sense!

Congrats on making good progress on cleaning and organizing!

I'll try to get back and post more in a bit. I need to exercise before DH gets home. The electrician had the a/c off all day and it was too blazing hot to exercise. I am so grateful for a/c and electricity! :jump joy:

I am honored to share a birthday with Chloe!

Thanks for posting the youtube. I think I've heard of that guy/book. I'll check it out later.

I hope everyone is having a good long weekend!
Old 09-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

Liz,hope you enjoyed your day.Cyndy to you also.My oldest son is here from florida and we will have family dinner today,I'm glad he made the cake and a cheesecake.And after the dinner and Labor Day I'm relaxing.Had 4 grandkids spend the night last night.I just can use some rest, because I don't usaully have this much going on at one time.Shopping 2 times this week.But I do love having the kids over and it was easier this time maybe cause I have lost a few pounds.I'll post how the dinner went after today.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:00 AM   #260
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning!

Winifred---hope you are resting now, sounds like you have been very busy!! Enjoy your time with your family today!

Liz---one of my friends (actually she is one of my previous bosses) won't celebrate her b-day anymore with the same line of thinking! So when I take her out for lunch every year on her b-day my invite (e-mail subject line) always says something like 'lunch to celebrate the day your mom gave birth to you!'

Well---I watched some of the youtube thing I posted, but I don't know if it's the video or my computer but I could barely hear it. I did watch a more recent series of his as well but also couldn't hear it very well. It's interesting, but nothing really new. He is a big time hater of fructose and believes it's the root of all evil. I agree with a lot of what he says but don't necessarily believe it is the root of all of our obesity issues. He does talk about leptin a bit and talks about obesity being about leptin resistance and talks about how that plays into insulin resistance. Now that is something I would like to understand better as I suspect that is more likely the actual root cause and whether it's fructose or a whole host of other 'not natural' kind of stuff who knows. Later I'm going to go see if I can find any of his videos that are just about the leptin/hormonal stuff....but he has thousands of them out there so not sure if that will be an easy task! I also need to search and find what kind of theories are out there for 'curing' leptin resistance. HCG is one and supposedly eating to hunger is another one---but I would love to see some scientific evidence backing up either of these in terms of curing or improving leptin resistance.

Well, off to run a bunch more errands--but first to pack up my car with a bunch of stuff for Good Will. I cannot believe how much stuff I have packed into this apt---it's crazy! I'm planning to take a part of every weekend this month to just pack up stuff and get rid of it....heck, it might take me 2 months but I am determined to get rid of anything I am not using, and start using things that have been packed away that I want to keep. So that is my Sept (and probably Oct) goal. Perhaps I'll lose a few lbs from all the activity--I'm actually sore from all the sorting and hauling of stuff I did yesterday!

Oh, and I keep forgetting to mention Hemp Hearts. I got some free samples of them awhile back at a health food store and finally tried them. They are a lot like chia seeds nutritionally although I think may have an even better profile, and like chia they fill me up! But unlike chia they don't get slimey and absorb liquids---so great for throwing on top of yogurt. I haven't tried grinding them and using them as a flour yet but I intend to, although I do love chia for that so maybe I'll just keep them for a yogurt topper.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WINIFRED.....thanks for the birthday wishes! CONGRATS on losing a few pounds...I'm glad it makes it easier for you to get around. I hope you have a wonderful and blessed visit with your family and grands!
How is your inflammation?

TERESA....I tried to listed to the youtube you posted and couldn't hear it very well. I thought it was my computer. It must be a bad video.

Thanks for the info on hemp! I'll have to look for it. I've always heard it associated with marijuana.

Here is what I found:
Quote:
As of 2006, it was still very difficult to grow industrial hemp in the United States, due to the plant's confusion with marijuana. Though the two plants are members of the same species, they have been bred to achieve different ends, and industrial hemp does not contain enough tetrahydrocannabinol to make it a psychoactive substance. The growth of this plant in the United States is heavily regulated, although the neighboring nation of Canada grows commercial amounts of the product.
Ok, I'll definitely try since it isn't a psychoactive substance! :jump joy:
Old 09-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Inflammation is alot better.Hope I didn't overdue eating the extra pudding mixture from the banana pudding.But no more all desserts are gone.Just beef brisket,pork butt,collard greens left for me to eat.Danny can eatthe rest of the stuffing,and mac and cheese.Everyone had a good time,it was nice having all 6 of them there and my grandbabies.I love them so much.My feet did swell because i didn't take a lasix,but the kids got in and put leftovers up after they fixed there plates to take home and cleaned up the kitchen.I always cook too much,lol.

Back on plan today.I got appt to go get holster monitor on wednesday to wear 24 hours to check my heart.Happy Labor Day.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #263
Big Yapper!!!!

Happy Labor Day!!

Winifred---I'm glad you had a wonderful weekend with the family! Please keep us posted on what happens with the Dr appt---I hope it all goes well!!

Liz---actually it would be kind of cool if the hemp hearts were like pot---full and fun but hopefully without the munchies! You said before that Linda is doing great so is she following the cardiac diet or something else? Hope she comes back and fills us in!

I don't know if your WF has the same sales as we do or not---but they had sprouted quinoa on sale 2 for 7bucks (12 oz pkgs) which is basically half price for WF and less than half price compaired to our other health food places. They also had sprouted green lentils which I really enjoy and sprouted mung beans which I've never had before--those were 2 for 5bucks and again, way cheaper than our health food stores. They may have had some other sprouted seeds/lentils---I don't remember but I am going to go back again before the sale is over and definitely grab some more of the quinoa. Hmmmm.....they had something else on sale I was gonna tell you about but now I can't remember. And I looked for the turkey medalions and cutlets and they didn't appear to have either. I need to check again when I have more time and actually ask them but it just looked like ground turkey and turkey breast.....and maybe some kind of 'innards' or something gross looking and that was about it in the turkey section. Did I tell you I tried the cocao gogi things? I'm not a big fan....but I should have known that because I don't like chocolate and fruit together. Oh---and they had coconut in them too which I don't like. My coworker loved them though!

So I've been up since 3:30 am. I did lay on the couch until 4am but couldn't sleep so I got up and got busy! Got a bunch of errands done early and then have been playing on youtube all afternoon. I am so sad the weekend is almost over....and I have a very tough week coming up. But I am already excited for next weekend as we are supposed to have much cooler temps so I can get out and do some things---and also believe it or not I'm still excited to do some organizing and purging around here!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #264
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everybody!

I hope everyone had a nice long holiday weekend!

I was in the wrong place at the wrong time yesterday! A pack of birds were flying low and they let lose when flying over ME!!! Horrible gross yuck! These were some big birds who had apparently had a very big meal!!! Then, to add insult to injury, they made bird noises that almost sounded like laughing!
As horrible as it was I had to laugh at wining the bird poo lottery.
Ever heard the saying, "no harm, no foul"? Well, for me it is now, "no harm, NO fowl"!!!

WINIFRED.... I'm glad the inflammation is down! I'm so happy for you that you got to spend time with your beloved family and shared some incredibly yummy food! I know they must look forward to your cooking!

I hope everything is ok with your heart:sprayer: Please let us know how you're doing

TERESA... thanks so much for the sale info from whole foods! What great deals! I'll try to get over there this week to stock up.
Sorry you didn't like the goji cacao bars. My hubby really loves those things.

I hope you got some good sleep last night so you can tackle your tough work week. Hopefully it will go very quickly and you will have a fabulous weekend with gorgeous weather!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #265
Big Yapper!!!!

Evening.....yawn....

Liz---omg on the birds! Now--so I can complete the visual, were you in your car or did they actually 'hit' you?!?

Unfortunately, sleep sucked again last night. I'm pretty pooped today and just want to go to bed but I'm going to try to hold out a couple more hours....then maybe at least I won't wake up as early....? Waking up at 3am'ish just makes for a really long day at work. Thankfully today was a pretty mellow day with lots of people out for an extended long weekend.

Gonna go see if there is something decent on TV.....is there anything decent anymore? There are like 2 shows that I like---which I often forget to watch---other than that I seem to only watch old sitcoms and even then I pay very little attention to them when I have them on. Perhaps I need to expand my horizons---which is kind of funny that most people watch too much TV but I definitely no longer fit into that category.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

It is still brutally hot! Come on fall weather!

TERESA..... sorry I forgot to answer your ? re. Linda.....she is eating primarily vegan. Also she is doing a version of OA that requires a lot of work (making outreach calls). I wish she would check in because it is always wonderful to cheer on each other during the good times and her success is an inspiration!

I WISH I had been in my car! I was sitting in a chair on the tennis court when the birds left their surprises!

I'm so sorry you're having such a tough time with sleeping.
I know that when I am sleep deprived I feel lousy. I hope you were able to sleep well last night.

VICKI.... thinking of you! Hope you are doing well. Please check in when you can!

CYNDY.... how's it going?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #267
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh no---they actually got you! Bad birds! Hopefully you guys will get a cool down soon. Our cool front is just now coming in and it feels great outside! Tomorrow is supposed to be mid 80's and then we actually dip down to the 70's for a few days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sleep sucked even worse last night. Fell asleep for 2 hours and then wide awake at around midnight. Finally fell back to sleep around 3am and around 4am Jaden decided it was time to play super kitty which woke me up. I typically get up around 4:30 or 5 so no point in going back to sleep at that point. So tonight I'm trying to stay up as long as I can.....not sure what exactly that's going to help but if I'm only going to sleep a couple of hours it would be better if they were closer to the time I need to wake up! However, I am very very sleepy right now so I don't think I'll make it much longer.....

OK--enough whining. Need to go do something...not sure what but something?! I have a feeling it's going to be going to get in bed.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #268
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA.... so sorry you had an even worse night of insomnia! I thought about you last night when my sleep was interrupted multiple times because DH was on call. I stopped counting after 20 calls.
I would just get to sleep and the phone would ring. I very seldom wake up from sleep and really had no idea how dang unpleasant it is.
I know I feel a bit zombish today due to interrupted sleep. I can't imagine dealing with this so frequently. I really feel badly for you!

So, my question is......would you consider trying a dietary approach to maybe help you sleep better? I know we've discussed this before but just thought I'd mention it again.

I really hope you're able to get some high quality sleep!!!

I'm sure you know all of this...but here is a brief thing I found online

Quote:
Eating foods high in carbohydrates later in the day or a small amount before bedtime may help improve your sleeping patterns.

Serotonin
Carbohydrates help start a process in your body that can calm your moods and improve your sleep. Carbohydrates release insulin into your bloodstream. Insulin boosts the function of an amino acid called tryptophan. Amino acids help manufacture certain neurotransmitters that regulate your mood and behavior, Middle Tennessee State University explains. Tryptophan travels from the bloodstream to the brain where it converts to serotonin, a neurotransmitter that provides you with calming effects for relaxation and better sleep.
Energizing Foods
Other amino acids, however, often crowd out tryptophan in the process. When you eat high-protein foods, such as beef, poultry, fish and dairy products, an amino acid called tyrosine overpowers tryptophan and travels to the brain where it boosts levels of dopamine, epinephrine and norepinephrine. These neurotransmitters improve mental alertness and energy. This keeps you energized, but doesn't help when you suffer from insomnia.
Sleep and Anxiety
Eating more carbohydrates improves the performance of tryptophan so it can provide the brain with serotonin to help you sleep. Carbohydrates include fruits, vegetables and whole grains, such as bread, pasta, high-fiber cereal, oatmeal, brown rice and barley. Focusing more on carbohydrates helps provide you with a sense of calm to improve your sleep. Carbohydrates also help combat anxiety during the day to improve your sleep later on. Some protein foods, including poultry, milk and cheese, also contain tryptophan. These foods can provide you with necessary protein for energy while helping your serotonin levels to keep you relaxed and avoid anxiety due to stressful situations.

WINIFRED..... How are you doing?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Hi All - Been trying to catch up on all the reading since I missed so many days. Work was busy, plus had that extra day off. SO's birthday was great. Surprised him with his mom when I got off work and picked up the lunch tab for the three of us. Then took him golfing that night and we had a very good time. I golfed crappy, but he did great. Ended up having dinner at home, so I stayed the course through it all. Worked in the yard at my house that my brother is renting on Saturday, then golfed again Sunday, then worked in our own yard Monday. I really thought with all that exercise I would have some movement on the scale, but no-no-no! I've been really good about my eating too, but did do a little imbibing here and there. Been back on the straight and narrow this week.

Teresa - The sublingual melatonin I take is from GNC in our RiteAid store. It's 1 mg and I only take one and, like I said, not every night. Might be worth a try for you. Nyquil has also come out with a sleep aid that doesn't have the cough medicine in it. I know what you're going through. The insomnia seems to worsen the longer it goes on and the more you think about how badly you want to sleep. It's a vicious circle. Hope you have some success soon.

Liz - That was some interesting info you furnished. Thanks! I always thought turkey was the only thing that had the tryptophan in it and that's why we all want to take a nap after Thanksgiving dinner. :-) And belated Happy Birthday! Hope you had a super day and super weekend.

Winifred - Glad you're feeling better and hoping the monitor helps make sure your heart's doing okay. Having the kids and grandkids around helps keep your spirits up, I'm sure. Take care of yourself!

Wish I could use some telepathy to catch that cleaning and organizing bug from Teresa. I start my driver's ed class on Monday and I'll be working 14/7 for four weeks. Then October will disappear because every weekend is already filled with some activity or other. Thanksgiving, then another class and it will be Christmas. Hello 2013! Good grief!!! Where does the time go? Will I really have lost 20 or so pounds by then? Let's hope!! Talk to y'all soon!! Take good care of yourselves in the meantime. Thinking about you helps me stay on track. Can't thank you enough!!!

Last edited by iminit4me; 09-06-2012 at 01:08 PM..
Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #270
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I am lurking, nothing to report. Just gathering strength and doing a lot of thinking.
Closed Thread