Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Century Club
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
VICKI.... I'm not diabetic but I do get hypoglycemic.
My endocrinologist didn't seem to think it was a problem because I'm not usually symptomatic.

I was interested in checking my ketones for the "nutritional ketosis" woe.
You can get a free meter and strips from a link on Jimmy Moore's blog. He did a blog on nutritional ketosis

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Liz, thanks for the info. I am not finding the link for a free monitor. Can you tell me where for sure, thanks.

We ate at a local Thai restaurant for lunch. I had a beef curry dish and fried chicken cakes for an appetizer. I did indulge in a small amount of rice and we splurged on the dessert mango with sticky coconut rice. Yum.

Game at 4 and only 2 more to go after today.

Last edited by vli1127; 07-24-2012 at 12:47 PM..
Old 07-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Hi,just stopped in to read some of the posts I missed.My inflammation is better and i'm trying to eat anti inflammatory low carb foods.Its hot here too 96 today.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #124
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Morning---happy Hump Day!!

Just a quick post to say I'm alive!! Yesterday I kept trying to get in here to post but then things just kept happening and I didn't get it done. I've got about 15 min before my next meeting so I'm gonna try to read and post but if I get busy again---I'll be back tonight.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #125
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi Winifred! Glad the inflamation is going down!! Have you found there are certain foods that if you cut them out you feel better? Seems like wheat and most grains are on the top of the list as inflamatories for most peeps. 96 degrees actually sounds lovely right now! We have been over 100 for what seems like forever. I think it's supposed to be 106 today (without heat index) however then we're supposed to get storms this evening and they say it will get down to around 90 and stay that way for at least several days. I am soooooo looking forward to the possibility of a decent weekend! I want to go to the Farmers Market and the Zoo on Sat but I just can't stand the thought of doing it in this horrible heat!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #126
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthylowcarbin View Post
TERESA..... WOOOOHOOOO! I'm so happy for you on the weight loss! You are so close to the 150's again....a few sneezes and you are there!
Very interesting that waiting until you are truly hungry makes your full cues more strong. Usually when I wait too long I have a hard time stopping eating Maybe it is a matter of degrees? Not waiting till I'm starving but instead where I'm hungry.
I'm happy that it is working out for you

Which ninja did you get?

Re. the car a/c..... An a/c refrigerant leak can cause it to blow hot air. I could be wrong but that has been my experience with a few cars.

I have been told that auto zone will do a free a/c diagnostic test for a leak. If you have one in your area it might be worth a call to see if they do it for free.
They can check for a leak by using a dye test. Hopefully if that is the problem it wouldn't be a major repair. Just seal the leak (maybe change a hose) and replace the refrigerant. If auto zone doesn't do it you can call around and ask for price of an a/c diagnostic test. Most places will apply it towards the cost of the leak repair. The only thing is if it is a major mechanical issue (compressor bad) it would be very expensive.
Also you might ask the charge for the refrigerant (usually under $100) if you even consider getting it looked at.

I'm not sure if you want to deal with it. I understand it is an older car but it is really really rough to go without ac in these temps. At least there are only a few more months to go until it cools a bit
I'm glad that you go to work early enough to avoid the heat.
I worked an afternoon shift in New Orleans in SUMMER heat driving a black car without a/c. Yucko.

If you don't get the a/c fixed I would highly recommend a sun visor thing and a fan to sit on your dash.

I hope you feel more energy! The heat always drains me. Let us know what you find re. the adrenal fatigue.

I had a pretty good weekend. DH was off so we hung out a bit and went to eat at Corky's bbq. I think they have those nationwide. They do the most incredible, tender beef brisket and pulled pork. I order them without bbq sauce. You get a massive heap of meat with 2 sides for under $10. mmmmmm
OK--the visual on sneezing up over 1/2 pound of snot cracked me up and grossed me out!

On the hunger thing---yes, the key is to hit it before you are really hungry which I've had to play around with a bit but if I just really pay attention it's not too hard. Basically what I have found is that I tend to eat when 'on empty' but sometimes I can stay on empty for a lonnnnnng time! If I wait past empty then true hunger will begin but even that can come and go a bit before I ever get really hungry. When I get into that true hunger, but not really hungry, is when I eat. And yes---when I do that the coolest thing is that I can sense my fullness much better and I tend to eat a bit less naturally! In all the vlogs I've watched of hers I've never heard her talk about that benefit---that waiting till hunger helps you to eat less or that it helps you to have a clearer fullness message. However she instructs people to quit eating as soon as hunger is gone---i.e. not satisfied, not full, but just beyond empty. I don't do that! I eat until quite satisfied but not full. I tend to think that she is either so strict about that because of her own ED issues or because a lot of time when she is talking about it it's with peeps doing HCG and since in theory there is very little need to eat on that she is having them really practice at a very stringent level to get used to eating this way after HCG---at least those are my theories! If I ate just till hunger is gone---and I've tried that twice now on the weekends---it means I am eating every couple of hours or even every half hour---not a good plan or way of living for me!

I'll have to check what the name of my Ninja 'system' is. I think it's basically the same as the WalMart one but it has 2 blenders---one 48 oz and one 40 oz and 2 of the chopping cups---not sure yet if there is any difference between them. And I think a couple different kinds of blades--I think they all had the 3 blade deal in them except one looked like it had only one blade---thinking that might be for chopping? It was only 5 bucks more than the one at WM (I got this at Sam's) so I figured I'd splurge! Still haven't set the whole thing up yet but I took out one of the big chopping cup things last night and made a yummy strawberry sorbet in it and it turned out perfect. What I miss about the bullet is that you could use the drinking mugs that came with it to make shakes/etc. in so then you didn't dirty up a container and then put it in another cup. So I decided to just eat the sorbet right out of the chopping cup! What I have to figure out is if I can grind things with this system. I have a bag of sprouted quinoa and a big thing of chia seeds, both of which I want to grind into flour. Might have to try that out this weekend.

The car---well, miraculously the air is working 'kind of.' Now I'm thinking maybe it's just coolant however I don't think it's been that long since I had that all done so maybe a leak or something? I don't know. I'm really just trying to ignore it right now and get by without fixing it! Thanks for the tip on auto zone---I think we have those around here so I will check that out.

Glad you had a nice weekend with DH! Is Corky's a chain? Sounds familiar---and very yummy!!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #127
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I'm craving mexican food and I would like to attempt to cook a skirt/flank steak. I'm thinking this recipe could be easily low carb (using low carb tortilla).

Does anyone have a favorite mexican marinade or recipe?

I'm also really wanting to try to cook a tender beef brisket. I am amazed by the brisket at corkys bbq. So incredibly tender.

CARNE ASADA taco recipe:Ingredients
U.S. Metric Conversion chart
1/2 cup(s) white vinegar
2 tablespoon(s) chili powder
2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
2 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt, divided
1 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
2 pound(s) flank or skirt steak, trimmed and cut into 3 equal portions
1 pound(s) tomatoes, chopped
2 fresh jalapeño peppers or serrano chiles, seeded and finely diced
1/2 cup(s) chopped onion
1/2 cup(s) chopped fresh cilantro
1 ripe but slightly firm avocado, diced
Juice of 1 lime
16 5- to 6-inch corn or whole-wheat flour tortillas, warmed
1/3 cup(s) crumbled Cotija cheese (see Tip) or other shredded cheese
Directions

Whisk vinegar, chili powder, oil, 2 teaspoons salt, and garlic powder in a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Add steak and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
Make salsa about 20 minutes (and up to 2 hours) before cooking the meat: Gently combine tomatoes, jalapeños (or chiles) to taste, onion, cilantro, avocado, lime juice, and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
Place the steak on a rimmed baking sheet (discard the marinade). Broil 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain. Serve the steak wrapped in warm tortillas and topped with the salsa and cheese.

Tip: Cotija cheese, also called queso añejo or queso añejado, is an aged Mexican cheese similar to Parmesan. Find it near other specialty cheeses or in Mexican grocery stores.
So did you try this yet?

Quote:
I got my free blood glucose/ketone meter today. It took less than a week and was free! It is a really nice meter with 10 free strips (glucose) and 2 free ketone strips.

My blood glucose was 77 one hour after eating. My ketones are 1.5.
So if that is right I'm in ketosis. I might get urine keto strips just to see what range that puts me in.

Ohh--fun fun! So have you found enough info to know what all those numbers mean and what range you need to be in? I keep thinking I should go look at Jimmy's stuff but then I remember that I HATE ketosis so I need to not go anywhere near it! But I definitely want to know how it goes for you.

So is 77 low 1 hour after eating? Mine is usually 75 when I see the Dr but that is fasted. Since I've never tried out my stupid blood meter thing I guess I have no idea how that would change after eating....although I suppose that would change depending on what I eat. I really should try it out (the meter not the plan)---kind of sounds like a fun little experiment!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #128
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
WTG Teresa, woot, woot.

Liz, did I miss something? Are you a diabetic? What is with the glucose/ketone meter and how did you get it free?

I splurged last night and had DQ cone. Otherwise, been on plan. My other splurges have primarily been fruit. Not too bad.

My sons team is 3-0 and I think first seed (whatever that means) and is now in bracket play (ditto to previous comment). LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Liz, thanks for the info. I am not finding the link for a free monitor. Can you tell me where for sure, thanks.

We ate at a local Thai restaurant for lunch. I had a beef curry dish and fried chicken cakes for an appetizer. I did indulge in a small amount of rice and we splurged on the dessert mango with sticky coconut rice. Yum.

Game at 4 and only 2 more to go after today.
Sounds like you are doing good and your son and his team are doing great!! So how are you doing today? When do you go back to school?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #129
Blabbermouth!!!

Actually, the team lost last night big time. We play today at 2 then again tomorrow afternoon. We will check out tomorrow and be home tomorrow night. On plan today thus far.

Will check back later.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WINIFRED....I'm so glad you're inflammation is better. It is amazing how our diet can affect us.

TERESA... The ketones would be 0 if not in ketosis. 0.5-1.5 is what nutritional ketosis advocates aim for. Normal fasting blood glucose is 70-110. I think postprandial (2 hours after meals) is up to 140. I've never gone over 77 but I've been eating low carb and consuming too much caffeine
I may buy some strips to see the difference when I cut out caffeine. I know that caffeine causes me to pump out the insulin.
Yep, I have fun trying to figure out what is going on in my innards. I love to test my urine and blood....I'm such a weirdo

I haven't tried the mexican recipe yet. I need to go buy the steak first.
I'll probably just use the marinade part and tweak the topping quite a bit

Thanks for the explanation on eating to hunger. I'm glad it is working so well for you. Do you end up eating 3 meals per day?
I just envision myself with a strap on fed bag walking around grazing

ITA agree with you on the ninja. I would like to have drinking mugs with it.
Less to clean = Happy Liz

Corky's is a chain. I know they have them in New Orleans and FL as well as here. They also sell the ribs in the freezer section of the grocery store here. Memphis is really BIG on bbq

YAY for the car a/c working! It does sound like a leak.

Do you go to the farmer's market and zoo by yourself or with friends? I've never gone solo to a zoo but I LOVE the zoo. Memphis is supposed to have a really good zoo.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Yes you are right Liz,just cut our meal plan and eat healthy and it helps alot of health issues.soda and sweetened beverages,high sugar cereals,cakes ,high butter popcorn,chips are bad foods with in flammation also refined flour products.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #132
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning. It's Thursday and the high today is only going to be 93!!! And tomorrow is supposed to be mid 80's and Sat low 80's!! Fortunately it's supposed to rain this weekend---we really need it. But selfishly I'm really sad about that because I want to get out and enjoy some nice weather. I feel like I have been in jail all summer or something and I want to break out! Oh well, if I have to I'll take a walk or bike ride in the rain!

Winifred---oh yeah, sugary things are probably on the top of the list for inflamatory stuff! And most sugary things have lots of chemicals and additives which make it worse. Plus it feeds all the 'sick' stuff in our bodies like colds and even cancer. That stuff is so evil. Have you seen this site before. It gives the inflamatory response for different foods:

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Bread, wheat

Some of the things on there that they say are inflamatory have suprised me.

Vicki---sounds like you continue to do well! Hope your DS's last game today goes great!

Liz---yep, I still eat 3 meals per day. On the days I tried doing it the way she describes (only till hunger is gone) I probably ate 8-10 times but just small amounts at a time. I really didn't like the feeling of never being satisfied and it's something that I think would ultimately set off binging or overeating for me. But I'm glad I tried it out to see if it would work. Eating till satisfied is working great though and it's so exciting to be able to start to understand when I am satisfied, not just try to decide when I "should" be.

Farmers Market---I almost always go alone and I prefer it that way! I've gone with or met friends there before but they just slow me down! Plus they typically want to eat everything! I enjoy buying produce and local stuff and people watching but it's not really a good social setting for me---I'd rather hang out with people where it's easier to talk and actually spend time together...kwim? There are typically thousands of people there so it's way too crowded to be waiting on others, etc....basically I'm not a very patient person! I'm the same with shopping---I can spend hours and hours shopping but I really don't enjoy people coming with me, I just like to do my own thing! As far as the zoo---haven't gone by myself but I won't mind at all. It's a 'members only' walk that they do on certain mornings before the zoo opens---so you can see the animals as they are getting up and fed and moving around and there aren't crowds so you can get some good walking time in. I have been wanting to do this all summer and the weather just hasn't cooperated! So if it rains or storms Sat morning I am going to be sad because I really want to go!

Have a good day everyone!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Thursday!

I bought my first beef brisket. Now I need to figure out how to cook it so that it doesn't end up like shoe leather.
I'm thinking low and slow in the oven. Maybe a marinade or dry rub.
Does anyone have any tips/recipes for beef brisket?

WINIFRED.... WTG for eating healthier! I hope that you are getting some inflammation/pain relief

TERESA.... WAHOOO on the cooler weather:jump joy: I hope you get a chance to go to the zoo walk ....sounds like a lot of fun! And I hope the rain can wait until after the weekend!

Do you find that you are eating the same amount at the 3 meals or less?
Thanks for your input.
Quote:
I have a bag of sprouted quinoa and a big thing of chia seeds, both of which I want to grind into flour. Might have to try that out this weekend.
if you do that please let me know how it works out.

On the quinoa....is it pre-rinsed? The quinoa I've used requires quite a bit of rinsing/soaking to remove the soapy/bitter coating. Maybe the sprouted is different?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iminit4me
Stats: 315/258/140
WOE: Atkins NANY/Exercise
Start Date: May 2010
Stupid work has kept me so busy lately. I've missed you guys. Glad to hear things are going well. My computer at home took a puke too, so I've really been out of touch. Got it back last night, though, so I should be good to go.

Teresa - My compressor went on my car and they had to bypass it with something so I will still have heat in the winter, but it was a lot cheaper than getting the air fixed. It made a very noticeable clunking noise, so I don't think that is your problem. You would really know it if it was. Hopefully, it's a minor repair. Sounds like it, since it's working again. Probably just needs to be recharged. I now have no A/C at home or in the car, but my brother and SIL in my house are enjoying the central A/C no end. Looking at another week of mid 80s and high humidity, which is what really kills me. I walked last night with my sis and my shirt was embarrassingly soaked by the time we finished. So, of course, her neighbor called to us because she wanted to meet me, then another gal pulled in the driveway while we were talking and it was someone I hadn't seen in about 45 years. Good news, we recognized each other instantly, but she really wondered why I was all wet. Couldn't even give her a quick hug - just a little "fake-no touch" one. :-)

I came really close to buying a Ninja at Target Saturday. It came with three glasses that each had its own blade and was only $80 plus you get a $10 gift card. But I just couldn't justify the expense when I have a blender now and don't use it much. Maybe once I get back to teaching driver's ed this fall and have a little extra money, I'll make the splurge. Or ask for it for my birthday.

Liz - On the beef brisket, you might want to try a cooking bag. I've had them turn out very moist and tender. I put it in with an envelope of onion soup mix and additional onion slices and it's very good. Cold leftovers slice nicely too and retain that good flavor. Let me know what you end up doing. I'm always up for a good recipe.

Vicki - First seed is the BEST, so your son and his team must be awesome! But then you knew that already!

Winifred - Good job realizing what's good and what's not. Stay the course and you'll be feeling a lot better for a long time. Good luck.

Great to be back in touch. Really enjoyed reading everyone's posts and catching up. Should be a while before I'm ever "gone" so long again.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.
- Thomas A. Edison
Old 07-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #135
Blabbermouth!!!

We got home last night. My son's team finished last unfortunately. Oh well, it was a good experience. I strayed a bit the last day or so. But ready to forge ahead today.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everybody!

I ended up trying the recipe posted below for my brisket. I tried a tiny bite and it tasted pretty good but I would definitely tweak it. I would eliminate the sugar in the rub and add in some liquid smoke flavoring. Otherwise I think the recipe is a keeper. It was very tender

Next attempt will be to slow smoke it on the big green egg.
Quote:
Quote:
Texas Oven-Roasted Beef Brisket
Recipe courtesy Tom Perini

Quote:
Prep Time:10 minInactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time:4 hr 0 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
10 servings

Ingredients
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 bay leaf, crushed
4 pounds beef brisket, trimmed
1 1/2 cups beef stock
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Make a dry rub by combining chili powder, salt, garlic and onion powders, black pepper, sugar, dry mustard, and bay leaf. Season the raw brisket on both sides with the rub. Place in a roasting pan and roast, uncovered, for 1 hour.

Add beef stock and enough water to yield about 1/2 inch of liquid in the roasting pan. Lower oven to 300 degrees F, cover pan tightly and continue cooking for 3 hours, or until fork-tender.

Trim the fat and slice meat thinly across the grain. Top with juice from the pan.

* Restaurant Recipe
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

CYNDY.....Hey there! I'm glad to see you posting! I hate it when computers take a "puke".

Thanks for the idea for the brisket. That sounds wonderful! I love cooking bags. I've used those to cook very moist turkey. I'll have to try that next.

VICKI>..... WTG for staying on plan for most of the trip. Keep up that good MOJO!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #138
Blabbermouth!!!

Apparently it didn't pay off though, still 231.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #139
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning!

Vicki---but I think it did pay off! First off, you didn't gain. My guess is you felt well while you were there and had energy and felt good about yourself---nothing like ruining a day or a trip or whatever with eating crappy and feeling crappy---you didn't do that to yourself! Second---if you stick with low carb for the next few days I bet you will have a whoosh! You ate mostly low carb on your trip but you had some deviations--which is totally fine. But know that your body was in low carb, remove the excess water from your body mode, and when you introduce a bit of sugar or other carby things it will likely freak out a bit and hold onto water. So it just needs a few days of consistent low carb and I bet you will see those numbers go down!!!

Liz---glad your briskett turned out great! I've never made one, but I like eating it. As far as the eating less---at first I wasn't because I am so used to thinking I need to eat X amount to get through to the next meal and not be hungry, have cravings, etc. but now I am trusting my hunger a bit more and cutting back little by little. I don't know if I could have done that before---certainly not back in the early days because I really had to stick with my little routine that worked for me or I could set off all kinds of problems---but right now, this seems to be working and is quite effortless! On the quinoa, I've never bought the kind you have to wash---that would be way too much work for me!

Cyndy---I hear you about 'stupid work' keeping you so busy---mine is too!! Computer problems stink---almost as much as car problems. It's amazing how dependent we are on those things. Gosh, I can't imagine living with no A/C although really in N. MI you guys stay cool typically in the summer---but unfortunately not this summer! So I can't remember if you said, are you anywhere near Mackinac Island or have you been there? I just love that place and really need to think about going again one day.

So it's a beautiful day out---cool and sunny! It would have been the perfect morning for the zoo and farmers market...but alas I woke up with absolutely no energy at all. I'm definitely feeling 'tanked out' but I'm not sure what it is. I don't feel ill at all, although I will have to say that I have really been very irritable lately. I had to leave work the other day just to get away from people! No one did anything that ticked me off or anything like that---I just needed to get away. So I went shopping! I'm not sure what my problem is but I want my energy back! I am definitely getting in a walk today and going to go do some errands but other than that I just want to stay home. Maybe it's because stupid TOM has been acting like he was coming for a week now and hasn't. I hate hormones.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ipes-here.html
I love ethnic food and there are some really great low carb recipes in that link!

It's ironic that I'm now into salads, spices and ethnic foods. When I was a kid I was the pickiest eater ever. I existed on frozen pizza, boxed cereal/milk, ravioli and spaghetti in a CAN, and junk foods. My favorite chef was Chef Boyardee. I would eat candy, candy, cake, ice cream and cookies DAILY. The only veggies I would eat came from a can and were peas, corn or lima beans. I thought I hated salads and would only eat cucumbers. I hated mayo, mustard, onions and garlic. Forget ethnic cuisine or spices. If it wasn't a plain hunk of fried meat & mashed potatoes or if it didn't come from a box with a smiling spoon on the cover I wasn't touching it.

Posting that makes me realize how very far I've come. I adore veggies and don't eat any from the can (except for garbanzo beans to make humus) I honestly can't think of a veggie I don't like. I LOVE salads! I enjoy mayo, mustards and most spices.
And I will try any foods at least once. I have discovered that I actually like sashimi and love sushi! My earlier exposure to seafood was fried oysters, shrimp or catfish on french bread with french fries! Now I enjoy all types of fish and even sardines.

Today I am not at my goal weight. I still eat too much at times and struggle with finding that "perfect" woe. But I am finally giving myself credit for learning to love REAL food!

I am so critical of myself re. my food consumption almost on a daily basis. Rarely do I ever consider how far I've come.

So, if you feel like sharing.....what positive changes have you made in your woe? What foods do you routinely eat & enjoy that you never tried as a child or prior to low carb?
Old 07-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

VICKI....hang in there! I'm sure you're salty and holding lots of water weight from eating out. Don't let it derail you. You've been doing great.

TERESA.... thanks again for sharing how your hunger scale woe is going.
Quote:
As far as the eating less---at first I wasn't because I am so used to thinking I need to eat X amount to get through to the next meal and not be hungry, have cravings, etc. but now I am trusting my hunger a bit more and cutting back little by little.
I am a creature of habit and think I need X amount of food. This may sound weird but using a smaller plate usually helps me feel more satisfied. Have you ever tried that? BRAVO for learning to trust your hunger more.

haha on washing quinoa being too much work! I'm all about cutting down on culinary efforts when possible. I'll have to look for pre washed quinoa. I wonder if it is a lot more $$$ I get a huge bag of organic quinoa at costco (I think 4 lbs for $9).
Let me know if you make the quinoa flour with the ninja. I would definitely do that and would get the pre washed.

YIPPEE for your glorious weather! I'm sorry you're not feeling energetic.It sucks to not have energy to do what you want to do. I hope you can find the cause and the remedy. Did you ever get your adrenals tested or do further research on it?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #142
Big Yapper!!!!

Ugggg....I've barely moved today---unless you consider a 15 minute walk that I did at a basically crawling speed! Now I'm wondering if I'm coming down with something because my face is really pale also. GRRRRR I'm going to head out in a bit to get some errands done so I at least have some decent food to eat as I'm out of most of the basics right now---I didn't even have any yogurt left to eat!!

I won't see the Dr until next month but I will definitely be talking with her about the adrenal stuff and see what kind of testing and advise she can offer.

I do typically eat on smaller plates for dinner. I have these square tupperware plates that I love and have eaten off forever. For lunches, since I pack them, I just eat them out of whatever container(s) that I stuck them in. On the quinoa---it used to be about 9 bucks a lb around here but it has come down and you can typically find it for around 5 bucks or so a lb I think. I haven't had to buy any for several months because I stocked up last fall when I found some good deals. That's another reason why I need to grind some up because it won't last much longer and I use the flour way quicker than the seeds. Need to get my kitchen cleaned up so I can play with the Ninja.

Wow---what has changed about my eating habits??? Almost everything. My childhood eating habits sound a lot like yours! I really can't remember breakfasts from when I was really little except things like cream of wheat or pancakes, coffee cake or things like that on the weekend. I guess we pretty much ate cold cereal during the week---my favorite was at least somewhat healthy---Raisin Bran. Lunches were either school lunches or sandwiches, chips and pudding/hostess/or some kind of sweet and maybe a piece of fruit. Dinners were casseroles, hamburger helper, burgers, stews, whatever. I didn't like veggies---unless you count corn and potatoes. I liked fruit OK but never really loved it---except bananas. I wasn't much for meat except chicken but I went through phases of liking beef, pork, fish, etc. kind of depends on what age I'm thinking about. Cookies, brownies, candy, chips, etc. were the snacks we ate. We never had soda around a lot until I was in Jr High or High School so I didn't really get hooked on that until college. We also luckily didn't do a lot of fast food but we usually ate out at a steak house or something once a week. My parents both worked and for the most part I grew up in the hamburger helper/TV dinner era----i.e. lots of processed junk!

What has changed?? Pretty much everything! The bulk of my menu is whole foods, either fresh as is or made into some homemade concoction by me. I love veggies---although I wish I loved a wider array--but it's certainly way better. I like meat much better than I did, still about the same with fruits, and still LOVE sweets---just in healthier versions and portion controlled! Oh--another thing that is very different is that I now adore fat. I was the kid who didn't like butter---not on my potatoes or my corn on the cob or even on my toast most of the time! As I got older I naturally chose yogurts and dairy products that were fat free. My grandma's green beans made in bacon fat grossed me out (now I love them that way!). It had nothing to do with dieting, I just didn't like most pure fats.....except cream cheese---I liked that full fat, fat free or whatever. Oh--and of course no low fat pb for this girl! Salad dressings, dips, etc---all fat free. Others in my family might eat some fat free stuff but it's not like that was typically what we had in the house---it's just what I preferred for some reason. Now you can't get me to touch most things that are fat free--unless they occur naturally that way. I could go on and on but basically what I eat, what I like and my habits have all dramatically changed!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #143
Big Yapper!!!!

Errands done for tonight, thankfully! I bought a new 'toy' that I'll have to tell you all about later...I think I might hate it!

I just realized that there is a 'new' frozen yogurt place (actually been there almost a year) right in front of where I work and they have sf or maybe it's nsa frozen yogurts!! I am sooo going there this week! If the weather is decent I'll see if I can get my coworker to walk up there with me....or if I'm in a mood like I was the other day that's what I'll do when I want to get away from everyone!! Anyway, can't believe I never even realized it was there. It is right next to a vitamin place that I stop at probably once a month to pick up various supplements or just look around. Geesh, I guess I'm kinda blind!

Monday is National Cheesecake day--and I have 2 huge Cheesecake Factory cheesecakes sitting in my fridge! They're for my crew on Monday....let's see if they make it there whole. I think in honor of that I might make some sf cheesecake muffins for this week.

If I'm feeling decent I plan to hit Whole Foods first thing tomorrow. Also need to get a couple things at my grocery store. VICKI---they have butter on sale at HyVee this week for 1.88 a lb.

Feeling better right now---as soon as I got home I felt like I was gonna pass out. On a whim I grabbed a Vitamin Water that has been in my fridge for weeks---downed the whole thing---and actually feel quite a bit better. So I guess I'm deficient in something....and looking at the ingredients its pretty heavy on the B vitamins so I'm guessing that's it. Interestingly, after I did my vitamin testing several months back I assumed my B complex was pretty much worthless and ditched them. I never replaced them. I never ever even considered that could be it---I actually had completely forgotten that I wasn't taking them any longer. Hmmmmm....guess I need to pick up some B's at WF tomorrow. It may not be the answer, but I'm guessing it can't hurt!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #144
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning! Me again, and today I have energy---8 hours of sleep probably helped!!!!!!!

This recipe looks good. I was going to make it a long time ago when I saw it, but I don't think I ever did.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-fabulous.html

And for any of you with gardens or you just like zuchs---here's a thread with some ideas:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...c-recipes.html

I still need to look through this one. I found the cutest baby zuchs---like 2 inches long--at Sam's Club last night. I didn't end up buying them because I'd rather get zuchs at Farmers Markets right now but I'm hoping they still have them in the winter---they would be great for roasting.

Gorgeous outside again today! Planning to grill out at some point, bought some steaks last night that are just beggin for me to eat them! I also bought some boxed burgers---black angus. I've never bought them in a box before, always figured if they were boxed up they probably had a lot of additives or something but these are just beef. Love that they are already in patties and I can just take one out at a time and grill it up. I should be all 'beefed up' this week---I was starting to wonder if my iron might be low since I have eaten very little meat lately---so in case that is the problem I should be set now.

OK--need to get myself heading out---going to 'brave' Whole Foods, hopefully everyone isn't planning on getting there right when they open today!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA..... YAY on the energy and the sleep!
Thanks for sharing your changed eating habits! WTG!

It's funny you mentioned the vitamin water. We have a case (from costco) that DH uses when he plays tennis to replenish. (They are sodium free so I make sure he gets real salt also.) I really like the lemon ones

I love frozen yogurt! I especially like the self serve places where you can put your own toppings. Well, I don't like them so much when I go to pay. I think my last "generous' cup with berries was about $8. I guess I'm a hawg

National cheesecake day??!?!? whattttt??? You certainly treat your crew well!
cheesecake muffins sound great. have you ever made them with PB?

I just got back from whole foods. It was getting busy.
Did you get any good stuff????
They had some nice organic strawberries for $2 and cherries for $3
Don't forget to check for the weekly sale paper before you go. You can see it online and also you can print coupons.
Do they have a huge tea aisle? The one here has the most amazing variety

I recently bought angus patties in a box. 100% beef. I love not having to make the patties. Raw ground beef skeeves me out. I wear gloves

At whole foods they have freshly ground grass fed beef that is amazing. It is pricey but they do put it on sale. They will wrap it for you in freezer paper in any amount you want. I've done 4oz packs or 8oz packs.

Thanks for the recipes.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #146
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey, I have one of those lemon vitamin waters too--haven't tried it yet. Probably should put it in the fridge so it's ready if I have another one of those depleted feelings.

Yikes---8 bucks for frozen yogurt---I think I'll skip the toppings!

And hello---I think you are talking to the inventor of pb cheesecake here! Ate it 6 days a week during my first 1-2 years of low carb. And I'm not stingy with the pb---I put as much pb in as cc and then add sour cream to thin it out so it's creamy and not quite as dense---although still pretty dense! I also used to add sf chocolate chips to it. I think this time I will make it plain, with a little bit of lemon. I have a huge bag (5 lbs) of frozen strawberries left over from my hcg disaster that I need to use so I figure I will macerate some of those and have them on top with a bit of whipped cream.

I got a ton of yummy stuff at WF! I was really trying to be careful at first and just get some basics and maybe try 1-2 new tasty things but by the end I was just throwing things in my cart! I was in there for 1 hour and 15 minutes!! I of course had to taste test some of the stuff for lunch. Organic dried strawberries---18 bucks a lb, thank God they were in bulk so I could just get a small handfull---I'm only giving these 1 thumbs up. I love dried fruit and have found it works well for me in small doses but I really think I just like the tart ones---like pineapple, cranberries and tart cherries. Although I do love medjool dates. I also bought 3---yes count them 3 ---pb malt balls. They had average size ones and then HUGE ones---I of course got the huge ones. I'm only giving those 1 thumbs up too---believe it or not. Oh--and believe it or not I only ate 1 of them! Really good but I can think of better things to use my organic junk food calories for! I think pretty much everything else I got I have had before but they had it there for better prices or they had other varieties of the same thing that I hadn't seen before. Oh---I did find sf coconut milk ice cream things. I actually eat the ones that aren't sf (organic cane juice, etc) on occasion but if I can find sf made with E I am all for it so I got ice cream bars and fudge bars. Except for produce virtually everything I got was on sale---and most things I did have a coupon for---so even though I spent 50 bucks (when intending only to grab a couple of things ) I didn't do too bad. I didn't even look through the meat and cheese section, nor the wine section (not a big fan anyway) and only took a peak at the deli/bakery stuff. I'm gonna have to spend another hour or so looking through all that stuff! The bulk bins and produce took most of my time today. Oh, and the teas! They had a pretty good selection, about 1/2 of 1 long isle, but that isn't uncommon around here for tea in health food stores.

Have you ever tried any of their organic chocolate bars? And have you ever tried Green and Blacks chocolate? I love G&B and the ingredients look the same in their 365 organic bars but I'm wondering if they are as good?
Old 07-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #147
Big Yapper!!!!

OK--so the Ninja does not work for grinding....nor does my food processor when it comes to something as small as chia and quinoa. So---off to buy a coffee/spice grinder.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa123 View Post
OK--so the Ninja does not work for grinding....nor does my food processor when it comes to something as small as chia and quinoa. So---off to buy a coffee/spice grinder.
bummer! Thanks for sharing the info so I don't have to mess up y ninja trying it

Inventor of the PB cheesecake? I had no idea. Your mix of CC, PB and sour cream sounds amazing. Now I'm craving cheesecake. I might have to go get some cream cheese

I LOVE the bulk bins at WF! Did you see the raw cacao goji berry super energy bars? They are sweetened with dates. Oh.My.Goodness. Those things are good. I usually get DH one or two.

Did you notice if they have a spice station (pay per oz.)? I like it because you can buy a small amount of something and spices are so much better fresh. I've got so many jars of spices that end up going out of date

DH likes the 365 brand organic choc. bars but I've never tried them. I was checking out a choc. bar with smokey bacon that was at the checkout line. That think was $8 One of these days I will splurge and try some form of chocolate with bacon.

The cheese section is quite amazing. They usually have out several samples and will let you sample anything you want.

One thing I like to get at WH is local free range eggs. They cost the same thing as eggland's best at kroger but they are so so much better tasting.

Good job on escaping WF for under $100! You can get some good deals if you know where to look and watch for sales. I really like their bagged organic salad mixes. I get an italian one, I think it is 10oz, that is $2.29. Way cheaper and better quality than walmart.

Sorry I'm taking over the thread with WF talk
Old 07-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #149
Blabbermouth!!!

Teresa, You mean you don't have a coffee grinder??? I have used my magic bullet to grind flax seeds. Haven't tried quinoa or chia though. Besides, why would you grind those seeds? Hey, I want to hear about the new toy you are going to hate.

Liz, we used to eat like you commented above too. I used to do home daycare many years ago and was on the food program. I could take a box of mac and cheese and add some Velveeta to up the protein and it would count as the protein and starch, EGAD. Chicken nuggets, frozen pizza and frozen fries were a mainstay too.

Now, fresh fruit, veggies, free range eggs and meat too. Hardly any canned or boxed items.

We went to Whole Foods yesterday too. I wish I had brought along a cooler. Chickens were 0.99 a lb. I couldn't believe how big the store was since it took over half of a Best Buy. The clerk said that they added on to that as well. I like WF better than TJ's too.
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
9-28 206.4 down 11.8 lbs Total - 54 lbs
10-28 203.2 down 3.2 lbs Total - 57.2 lbs
11-27 204.8 up 1.6 lbs Total - 55.6 lbs
Old 07-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #150
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey---we're the only ones talking so I say we talk about whatever we want! Plus I don't think anyone will mind.

I didn't see a spice area, however I definitely could have missed it. One of the health food stores I've been going to for a few years has one of those and I never saw it until a few months ago---I tell ya, I'm blind sometimes! I don't think I saw those bars---but if they taste like cocao nibs I wouldn't like them---I think those things are way too bitter! But I'm a milk chocolate kind of girl. I also didn't see the bacon chocolate bar---but I did see a pb and banana chocolate bar! I was going to get some of their lettuce mixes but I just bought some yesterday so I'll have to wait until next weekend.

What do you mean you have to buy cream cheese??? I thought every good low carber had at least 4-5 bricks of it in their fridge at any given time?! I do!

Right now I have steaks on the grill and green beans, brocollini and spicy sweet potato fries in the oven roasting!! I bought a coffee/spice grinder so as soon as I'm done eating I will be trying it out.
Closed Thread