Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #91
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Good evening ladies....I'm pooped. It never really pays to take a day off cause then it takes all day just to try to get caught up!

Liz---I think you need to start practicing that butt pinching thing with your toes! You could probably make quite an entertaining little youtube show with that talent!

Glad you got the appetite under control. So can you give us the low down on this nutritional ketosis thing? How is it different than low carb?

Yes--the Retin A/Obagi skin care thing is all in prep for neck surgery---although I am using it on my face as well as it will help with fine lines/wrinkles, evening out skin tone, and a bunch of other stuff. It takes a long time for results though...like months unfortunately, however my skin will be healthier in time for surgery/healing which is the main goal right now. Did my first treatment last night and no redness or peeling yet, although I've read that unless you have really sensitive skin it won't happen until after 3-4 treatments. Hoping that it's really mild for me cause I'm not down with the scaley look!

I hope you are in your car now cause dinner is almost ready! It's in the oven though---over 100 degrees out there and too hot for grilling. But I'm pretty sure it will still taste delish!

Cyndy---if you get the Ninja I want to know what you think. I'm still thinking I might get one, need to do some more looking around though first because I would really like something a bit smaller.

Tired tonight and would really like to just go to bed now....well, actually I want to eat NOW and then go to bed! My week this week is packed and back out of town again this weekend so I'm thinking I may need to take next Monday off too! But I probably won't because I need to make sure I save some time off in case there are any problems with surgery.

Have a nice night ladies!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #92
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Cyndi, It does get old with keeping the house clean. We don't have a dishwasher either, the humans in my household are the dishwashers.

Liz, glad to hear your experience with your Ninja. I have a magic bullet and a Vitamix and a food processor. The magic bullet isn't all cracked up to what they say. If you want the food from the bottom of the container to me the same as the top you need to shake the darn thing. For example, when I am pulsing flax seed or almonds into meal, I have to shake it so the food on top gets equal treatment LOL.

Teresa, when is your surgery scheduled? I am curious, how many surgical procedures have you had done and what were they?

Winnifred, I hope you are feeling better.

Day 2 of on plan eating.

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Thanks Liz,I do eat more tomatoes this time of year.We also eat eggs at least 4 mornings a week,guess i'll change my eating habits when i go shopping again.So I assume cream cheese is bad too and cheddar.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:30 AM   #94
Blabbermouth!!!

Let me see, I need to be officially back to work the 20th of August. So, I have about a month left of summer vacation. We worked on our test bank (bank of test questions for the course) to make them more statistically sound. There were 9 units to get through and each unit has about 40 questions. I was responsible for 2 units. Our questions need to be written following guidelines that are the same as those questions that show up on the nursing licensing exam.

I leave for St. Louis tomorrow on a 6:30 a.m. flight which means picking up a coworker at 4 which means leaving at 3. Be around 9:30 Friday night and then need to leave Sat. morning for a 3 hour drive to the State Tournament in order to be there in time for a game at 4 p.m. We will miss opening ceremonies at 9 and possibly the picnic at 11. Therefore, my post will be spotty for the next few days until we get settled in on Saturday.

While in St. Louis, the company that is sponsoring the meeting is providing lunch both days and dinner on Thurs night. The dinner is at a Seafood restaurant I believe so staying on plan shouldn't be a problem. I did email the organizer about my food preferences for the lunches. She responded saying she follows a similar plan, YEA. In other words, I told her I didn't want a box lunch or any pasta. I would be good with salads.

I am not sure if any of you can relate, but, the other mothers and probably fathers of the other kids on this team are what you would call the "in" crowd if in HS. I wasn't part of that crowd nor do I want to be. They are all about 10-15 years younger than DH and I and even Ex. We had a meeting the other night and we are pairing up to be responsible for meal planning and shopping for one night during the tournament. The person I paired up with already planned on walking tacos. Great. Pizza is on the menu for the first night.

The motel has a made to order breakfast, so I should be pretty safe with that. The parents are planning on eating the third meal at the ball park. Our ball park does have taco salad and grilled chicken salad, so I am kind of spoiled. We will see what this other one has to offer.

At least the motel room has a refrig. and mwave. I plan to stock up when I get there. I am also going to HB some eggs to take along with my magic bullet and protein powder.

I am friends with one or two of the other mothers and one of them posted followed by others comments about all the running around they need to do for this tourney and supplies they need to get. I must be missing something because I don't need to do any running around. I do know they talked about all the snacks they need to get and drinks. I know they plan on drinking alcoholic beverages of which we will NOT be a part of. Holy Cow.

Most of these kids and parents have been together for 4 years now. Due to the kids making All Stars. These kids are also the ones who play on the elite sport teams of which my son has never been a part of. So, these parents are buddy buddy. Seems like quite the click and DRAMA, LOL.

Wish me luck as I go about this adventure LOL.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iminit4me
Stats: 315/258/140
WOE: Atkins NANY/Exercise
Start Date: May 2010
I wish you all the luck, Vicki. I know exactly what you mean about the "cliques." As an overweight teen, I was never a part of any "in" crowd and I always found it so much fun to just think all the responses I could make to the snide remarks and laugh to myself when I was being excluded, all the while just smiling away. The teen years were a bit rough and, looking back, I would not want to repeat high school. But it was part of what made me who I am today and I'm pretty darn happy, so it couldn't have been all bad. At least you have your food options under control and DH will be with you, so it's all good. Now just have a blast!

Liz, thanks for the response. I saw the larger Ninja was $99 and thought that might be the one you had because you talked about multiple blades. I guess if I get one, I'll spring for the larger model. It's probably worth the extra money. Might have to wait until I have another driver's ed class. I HATE having no extra money!! My SO keeps telling me what we'll do once he wins the lottery. Gotta let him have his dreams, eh? :-)

Teresa - Hope you got a good rest. I can relate. My brother and SIL are finally moved into my house and the cleaning marathon has come to an end. I just have to stop at the grocery store for some salad fixin's and then I get to go home tonight and stay there. I'm thrilled, even though I'll be doing laundry, cleaning the bathroom, cooking dinner, etc. At least I'll be getting caught up and there's always tomorrow night. I'll keep you posted about the Ninja - trying to decide between the small one ($40) or the one Liz got ($99). Bigger may not always be better....

Anyway, I hope you all have a superb day. I'm happy my huge chore is done and my brother and SIL are happily settled into my house. It's wonderful to have someone living there again. I hated having it sit empty, but was too afraid to rent it out. I have rotten luck in that regard with people that trash the place. Now that it's all redone, I would only put in the most trusted people, and that's family! Stay on plan and keep cool!

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.
- Thomas A. Edison
Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Good morning

A new diet pill has gotten FDA approval. Qsymia. It is a combo of phentermine and topiramate. I'm watching the stock prices and they are up 16% today alone.
The med. will be available in the 4th quarter this year.
I've read that the topiramate (anti seizure med) is effective in helping decrease binges.
There are some scary sounding risks for this med (birth defects, heart problems.....heck the name even sounds like a type of cardiac arrhythmia) that will keep me from getting tempted to try it.

CYNDY...you're very welcome. If I didn't need a food processor/blender I would have gotten the smaller one. The larger was so worth it to me because it does the work of 2-3 kitchen appliances.

I'm so glad that you have family to stay in your home. We are looking to possibly lease/rent out our home which is out of state. We would have a professional leasing company handle everything. Did you do the house rental yourself or have a company manage it? I'm scared that someone will trash our house. We just had a ton of renovations done and it is in excellent shape.
I'd really appreciate any tips/advice you have from your previous rental experience.

VICKI...GOOD LUCK! I hope you get lots of on plan grub and make some new friends who are not into drama and clicks.
I was a geek/nerd in school. Part of the math club and debate team. Definitely not "in crowd".

WINIFRED.... I'm not that familiar with the anti-inflammatory diet. I have had patients & friends that had good responses to cutting out certain foods. I know that tomatoes, eggplants and other "nightshades" veggies can cause some people to have joint pain/tenderness/inflammation. I hope and pray that you are able to tweak your diet and find some pain relief.

TERESA.... Hope your skin is still doing well. A friend of mine swears by obagi. She is in her 50's and looks fantastic. She does have mild skin peeling sometimes but nothing too extreme. I use obagi sunscreen.

How was your dinner last night???

Yay for going out of town over the weekend! Anything fun planned?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #97
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey ladies---pooped again. I think this weather is killing me---102 right now.

Vicki---wow, you've got a busy few days coming up! Although I love St Louis, I hate it in July cause it is sooooooooo ridiculously hot and humid there! Sounds like you have a good plan and I bet you end up having a good time. Just ignore those clicky people, they're no fun anyway!

Cyndy--I'm glad you have the house all done and family moved in---that must be a relief! On the Ninja--there are quite a few models. The one I looked at at Sam's was probably a 'step up' from the Walmart one but really I think it just had more of the chopping cups or something, not sure. The blender thingy for most of the ones I have looked at are all the same (not sure though on the really expensive ones) but they all seem to include different gadgets which determines the price.

Liz---I heard on the news a couple of weeks ago that some new diet pill was being released but I ignored it. I would like to know what about it would help with binge eating...for me binging has little to do with appetite and this looks like a appetite suppressant to me.

Skin is fine so far but I'm only doing the retin A part every other night for the first few times so tonight will be treatment #2.

Dinner was great but I only managed the stuffed chicken breast and the sweet potato, which I had again for dinner tonight. I was too lazy to make the fruit crisp so just eating the fruit as is and planning to put some in yogurt for breakfasts with some granola on top---the easy and probably healthier version of fruit crisp with ice cream!

Going to my hometown this weekend to see friend who will be in town. I really wish it wasn't this weekend---I'm just really tired this week and still feel a bit behind on things from being gone last weekend. And it's about a 4 hour drive each way. But I won't get to see her and her family again until next summer so I'll go.

OK---tonight I am seriously going to bed early! I tried to last night but then ended up talking to a neighbor for a couple of hours so it didn't happen. Nothing is getting in my way tonight though....as a matter of fact I might go get in bed now and just lay there and watch TV or something.

I have a question for everyone.....if you currently have, or ever have lost a large amount of weight----I would like your thoughts/experiences with something. If you have never lost a lot of weight---well I still want your thoughts!

Most of the people in my life---both work and personal---have known me for years so knew me obese and not obese. Sure, I meet new people all the time but for the most part none of them have really become a big part of my life, just acquaintanances. But theres at least one friend who I've had for a couple of years that I talk to/hang out with fairly frequently. I have had several 'openings' to discuss the fact that I spent the majority of my life obese....but for some reason I can't open my mouth and say it. It's not like it's necessary to share that---I am very private about my weight and even my family and closest friends have absolutely no clue what my weight was or how much I lost. I just don't talk about it. But somehow I feel like I am being deceitful when the topic comes up and I don't say anything. It happened again recently that a conversation touched on the topic of obesity and I started to open my mouth but then didn't... Nothing negative was or has been said about obesity---at that point I would either open my mouth or depending on what was said discontinue the conversation or friendship---I have no tolerance for that kind of thing. Anyway---not exactly sure what my question is but have any of you experienced this before? Am I the only one who just doesn't share that kind of info? Is that wrong? It's not like I think that person would think any less of me---at least I don't think that's my fear. I just don't like talking about it and all the questions and gushing and stuff is really uncomfortable to me.... And yet I feel like I am not being true to who I am or that I'm hiding or something by not sharing that.... Anyway--wondering if any of you have had similar experiences.

OK---now my brain hurts from thinking and I'm even more tired! Off to relax!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA....Sorry, I keep forgetting to answer your ? re. nutritional ketosis. I haven't been able to find much information online. It is from the book entitled,
Quote:
"The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable [Paperback]
Stephen D. Phinney (Author), Jeff S. Volek (Author)"
Quote:
About the Author
Jeff Volek is a dietitian-scientist who has spent 15 years studying diet and exercise effects on health and performance. He has held an academic position at Ball State University and is currently an associate professor at the University of Connecticut. Dr. Volek has contributed to 3 books, 2 patents, and over 200 papers. He received his dietetic training at Michigan State University and Penrose St Francis Hospital and his PhD in Exercise Physiology from Penn State University.
Steve Phinney is a physician-scientist who has spent 35 years studying diet, exercise, fatty acids, and inflammation. He has held academic positions at the Universities of Vermont, Minnesota, and California at Davis, as well as leadership positions at Monsanto, Galileo Laboratories, and Efficas. Dr. Phinney has published over 70 papers and several patents. He received his MD from Stanford University, his PhD in Nutritional Biochemistry from MIT, and post-doctoral training at the University of Vermont and Harvard.
Quote:
Carbohydrate restricted diets are commonly practiced but seldom taught. As a result, doctors, dietitians, nutritionists, and nurses may have strong opinions about low carbohydrate dieting, but in many if not most cases, these views are not grounded in science.

Now, whether you are a curious healthcare professional or just a connoisseur of diet information, two New York Times best-selling authors provide you with the definitive resource for low carbohydrate living.
Doctors Volek and Phinney share over 50 years of clinical experience using low carbohydrate diets, and together they have published more than 200 research papers and chapters on the topic. Particularly in the last decade, much has been learned about the risks associated with insulin resistance (including but not limited to metabolic syndrome, hypertension, and type-2 diabetes), and how this condition is far better controlled by carbohydrate restriction than with drugs.
In this book, you will learn why:
Carbohydrate restriction is the proverbial 'silver bullet' for managing insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome and type-2 diabetes.
Restricting carbohydrate improves blood glucose and lipids while reducing inflammation, all without drugs.
Dietary saturated fat is not a demon when you are low carb adapted.
Dietary sugars and refined starches are not needed to feed your brain or fuel exercise.
Long-term success involves much more than simply cutting out carbs.
Electrolyte and mineral management are key to avoiding side effects and ensuring success.
Trading up from sugars and starches to a cornucopia of nutrient-rich, satisfying, and healthy foods is empowering.
Studying hunter-gathers' diets provides clues to how best formulate a low carbohydrate diet.
This is a great book for health-minded individuals.
It is an excellent book for healthcare professionals.
Best of all, it is the perfect gift for health-minded individuals to share with their doctors, dietitians, and nutritionists.
All of this is cut and pasted from a website selling the book. It looks interesting to me but I'm not sure if I'll buy the book. I may download the first few chapters on kindle and see if I'm interested.

I read about it from a post here at LCF. It seems to be atkins but the difference is that protein is more tightly controlled.
The authors are, imo, quite impressive. I'm always curious to read smart, educated peoples' research on food/dieting/woe etc.

I'll let ya'll know if I get the book.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA.... I'm pooped too. This weather is so draining.

The topamax is what some people claim helps with binge impulse control. The other med. is what helps with appetite suppression and also energy.

Quote:
Topamax and Binge Eating Disorder Research
One study published in the March 2003 edition of the American Journal of Psychiatry suggested that Topamax is effective for binge eating disorder treatment. In this study, obese people with binge eating disorder taking Topamax showed greater improvement, compared to those not taking the medication. Those taking Topamax binged less often, lost more weight, and decreased their body mass index (BMI). On average, people taking Topamax lost about 13 pounds over 14 weeks.
I find it fascinating that a drug that controls seizures (uncontrolled electrical impulses in the brain) can also help control uncontrolled eating behavior impulses.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA....
Quote:
for some reason I can't open my mouth and say it. It's not like it's necessary to share that---I am very private about my weight and even my family and closest friends have absolutely no clue what my weight was or how much I lost. I just don't talk about it.
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. You have a right to be private.

Quote:
But somehow I feel like I am being deceitful when the topic comes up and I don't say anything. It happened again recently that a conversation touched on the topic of obesity and I started to open my mouth but then didn't... Nothing negative was or has been said about obesity---at that point I would either open my mouth or depending on what was said discontinue the conversation or friendship---I have no tolerance for that kind of thing.
I understand what you're saying but I don't think it is deceitful at all. It is like when people ask me the standard question, "do you have children?" I inwardly cringe and debate whether I should tell them that I desperately want kids and have tried for years, have had many losses, etc.... Is it deceitful for me to simply answer, "no, I don't have kids"? No, I don't think so. It is a personal matter that I choose not to discuss because it is painful, awkward.

I'm actually still learning how to just answer that question with a simple, "no". Unfortunately some folks start asking more ?? "don't you want kids? Do you like kids?" sigh

Quote:
Anyway---not exactly sure what my question is but have any of you experienced this before? Am I the only one who just doesn't share that kind of info? Is that wrong? It's not like I think that person would think any less of me---at least I don't think that's my fear. I just don't like talking about it and all the questions and gushing and stuff is really uncomfortable to me.... ... Anyway--wondering if any of you have had similar experiences.
Nothing wrong with not disclosing something from your past that does not affect the other person and would bring up potentially uncomfortable conversations. You have no obligation to be a totally "open book".
Some people are naturally more reserved, private, modest. My DH is like that. He won some major awards and scholarships and didn't ever tell his family. He's even slipped some by me. I was helping him pack up his office and found several awards that I didnt know about. He is very uncomfortable with praise and gushing over his accomplishments.

Last edited by healthylowcarbin; 07-18-2012 at 07:15 PM..
Old 07-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #101
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning.... I usually love Thursdays but today, not so much. Just want to go back to bed. I've already warned several people that I'm grumpy and to leave me alone today!

Liz---thanks for all the info! So it looks like a really controlled version of low carb, and I assume all the testing of blood is to ensure that people are getting to or staying in a certain level with blood glucose and ketosis? And then they are probably looking for people to get within some range that they have determined is theraputic? There are a lot of people that claim that they can't lose with low carb....which might be true but I always suspect that they haven't applied the science and tailored it to their bodies needs---something like this might be really helpful. Now---if when you're reading it you find any info on how to deal with the negative impacts of ketosis that some of us have---such as no sleep ---please let me know!!

On the topamax--interesting. You know, I tend to think binges have a biochemical type of component to them, so maybe it makes sense. And heck---the description 'uncontrolled impulses in the brain' actually sounds like a way I could describe some of my binges! I don't understand enough about seizures and the root cause of them to make the connection though....but maybe.

Thanks for the input on the privacy thing. I don't know why it feels so weird when I don't say something. With anyone else I don't give it a thought but with this person I feel like I 'should' for some reason.... Perhaps because they share a lot of personal things with me, and I don't reciprocate...cause believe it or not, I really am very private. That's one of the reasons this place has been such a godsend to me because I can just put it all out there somewhat anonymously!

So the peeling has begun! Just a bit around my mouth but I suspect it will get worse with each passing treatment. I need to get a good moisturizer that has a decent SPF---anyone have any suggestions? I probably should have got the Obagi stuff but it was so expensive I figured I could find something just as good for way less money....but now I'm not sure what?? I know I have at least a couple different Olay systems---just need to dig them out and see what's in them, what SPF, etc. But if anyone has any good suggestions I would love to hear them.

Last edited by Teresa123; 07-19-2012 at 06:30 AM..
Old 07-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey all,

I weighed and the scale is up 3 pounds! Huh??? I'm guessing hormones/fluid retention or maybe I fell out of ketosis. That usually makes me up 3-4lbs.
Oh well, regardless of the reason I plan to stay on track.

TERESA.... You summed up what I've read about nutritional ketosis very nicely, thanks. it does have a therapeutic range for ketones. I don't see myself investing in expensive test strips but I'm still debating buying the book.

Sorry you're feeling grumpy. I'm riding on the same grump train.
No good reason for me to feel grouchy. I'll just blame it on the hormones

Last edited by healthylowcarbin; 07-19-2012 at 10:36 AM..
Old 07-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA....re the moisturizer...I've used several expensive ones and I've returned to oil of delay. I also use some natural products from whole foods for my eye area that i really like. there is a whole aisle of natural products and some are quite reasonably priced.

Re. the sunscreen...there is a very informative article on webmd...."High-SPF Sunscreens: Are They Better?"
Lot of good info there if you feel up to reading. My understanding of SPF was totally wrong.

There are suggestions for which brands of sunscreens are most effective. Obagi is one but there are also some you can buy at walmart (Neutrogena sunscreens with Helioplex and Loreal’s LoRoche Posay with avobenzone)
Old 07-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks I have been looking on the web for more info about anti inflammatory foods.For your diabetes life had alot of good information on a lot of low carb foods,such as lowest carb veggies and fruits and also inflammatory foods.Thats why I love being in this group everyone is so helpful and you care about problems we all go through.I just love yall.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Teresa I don't know too much about the ninja,but I do alot of shopping from ubid and they have one of there it might be worth checking out.The site is a good bid site the prices don't change like those penny bid sites,we have bid and won condo bids on there,i have got air bed,phones.I'm watching a condo bids for laketown wharf in panama city beach,fl.Its a inexpensive way for us to take a trip.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:52 AM   #106
Blabbermouth!!!

Teresa, were you one of those crazy people who camped out or waited in line for hours awaiting the opening of Whole Foods LOL?

I am out of state on business and at the mercy of what others place in front of me as far as food choices. I emailed the contact person for this conference indicating my dietary preferences to no avail. For lunch yesterday there was a ceaser salad already dressed (with way too much dressing), deli sandwiches or wraps, grilled veggies and desserts. So, I loaded my plate with salad, and grilled veggies. I did eat a very small butter cake triangle that St. Louis is apparently known for.

When reviewing the info about the conference, dinner was to be at a Seafood place. I had reviewed the menu online anticipating what I would order. A more current email had come a day before indicating a change in restaraunts of which I missed. We ate at a place called Dave and Buster's. I looked at the menu online before we went and figured out what I would order. We were in a meeting room and it was a buffet. So, again, I had to make the best of what was on hand. This place has a separate arcade room for adults, no one under 21 allowed except with parent. Geesh, we were given a $10 game card to "play" games that spit out those tickets of which you cash in on cheesy, cheap prizes. I passed.

Appetizers were pretzel bites with cheese sauce and tortilla chips with what looked like artichoke dip. I passed. Dinner was the preformed all-the-same-size manufactured grilled chicken breasts with optional sauce of some kind. Grilled shrimp on a skewer, mac and cheese, a tossed multi green salad again laden with way too much dressing, except this was something sweet and halved tomatos with parmesan cheese, warmed and green beans. I ate the chicken and shrimp, tomatoes and green beans.

This morning at the motel, the typical hot breakfast was served. Scrambled fake eggs, round meat items that appeared to be sausage, HB fake eggs and the array of carby breakfast items and fruit. I did eat a banana with pb today and yesterday along with an apple. I did eat the fake scrambled and HB eggs along with the "meat" patties. Just in case lunch doesn't present with acceptable options, I took 3 HB eggs and an apple to eat for later.

The sad thing is, people think this crap is healthy.

Since I didn't exercise yesterday due to arrising at 3 to make a 630 flight, I did exercise some this morning in the room. There is an exercise room but I didn't pack workout clothes. Anyway, off to conference. TTYL
Old 07-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey everybody

I quit eating a big protein breakfast and my appetite has gone berserk. Could just be a coincidence or hormonal....but tomorrow I plan to start my day with a chicken breast.

WINIFRED...thanks for the info on ubid. I'll check it out.
Quote:
Thats why I love being in this group everyone is so helpful and you care about problems we all go through.I just love yall
I feel the same way.

VICKI....It is hard enough to stay on plan when I have total control over what food is available. WTG for toughing it out under less than ideal circumstances. It is scary what passes as "food". Like the fake egg scramble. Bleck

TERESA....hope you're feel more chipper today
Old 07-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #108
Big Yapper!!!!

Afternoon ladies. It's Friday!!! But I'm still kind of grumpy.

Liz---I was going to ask you how the leptin/breakfast thing was going. I suspect the difference is real, hormonal or not. I've found the 'perfect' combo(s) for me for breakfast and when I stray from that--even if it's the same amount of cals, etc.---I tend to have a hungry day or at the least notice that I have more cravings.

Speaking of cravings---lots of those for me today! We're having a snack day so I started my morning off at WalMart at the crack of dawn buying a ton of candy bars. Normally, not a big deal but as soon as I started picking them out I started having thoughts about eating some....well, not some but a ton of them. Then when I got here there were a ton of snacks and baked goods. For the first time ever I was grateful for my 2.5 hour meeting on Friday mornings! Just getting away from it all for that long I returned to the area without any cravings at all but for awhile there I had a bad feeling that this wasn't going to be a good day. I'm pretty sure beyond the chocolate overload (smells and sight only ) at 6am and the fact that TOM should be here soon it was just a little to much for my addictive little head to handle!

Thanks for the input on the sunscreens---I will definitely be buying some this weekend. In the mean time I am taking large amounts of D3 as that has been shown to reduce the chances of sunburn/damage.

Winifred---I've never hear of Ubid....I'll definitely check that out! And how fun---looking at a vacation to FL!!

Vicki---nope, I wasn't in line at WF! I was going to go tonight, like right before closing just to check it out but decided I will probably wait until next week. But I'm very antsy and really want to go soon! Sounds like you are doing a great job at the conference!!

OK....back to work. Have a going away party right after work and then going home to chill out...or at least that's my plan right now.

Last edited by Teresa123; 07-20-2012 at 11:50 AM..
Old 07-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA....sorry you're still feeling grumpy

I'm still feeling exceptionally grouchy! The worst part is that I want to soothe myself with food. ARGH. I have resisted eating off plan AND I resisted weighing myself this morning. Weighing would not have helped my mood.

I'm about to take a hot bubble bath and try to find something funny to watch.

I hope you feel better
Old 07-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #110
Blabbermouth!!!

The rest of yesterday and flights home were uneventful. Lunch, despite my previous email about my food preferences, consisted of sandwiches, pasta salad and cookies. Thankfully, I had taken 3 HB eggs and an apple from the motel just in case . . . well, that is what I had. I did indulge in 1 cookie. At the airport, I grabbed a Chicken Caeser salad and some chips. I know I had control over that, oh well.

Today we are now where the ball tournament is. Cleaned out the refrig at home and ate lunch consisting of jicama, deli turkey, cheese and strawberries. Supposed to have pizza tonight as a big group. We will see. We need to get groceries for the motel.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #111
Big Yapper!!!!

Happy Saturday!

Vicki---sounds like you're making very good choices if you ask me!! So where is the tournament at? I hope it's somewhere cooler....supposed to stay over 100 here for the next several days.

Liz---I keep meaning to comment on your scale going up---what I was gonna say was stay off it!! But it looks like you already came to that conclusion. I'm off mine too but plan to weigh on Monday just to see where I'm at. My pants actually felt a bit looser yesterday so if nothing else I got that going for me! Did you enjoy your bubble bath? I'm thinking I might take one tonight---I'm tired and sore.....and still grumpy!

So---to add to my grumpiness, my air conditioner in my car seems to have breathed it's final breath....and it was a hot one! I have an old car (97 Toyota) which I have said I will not replace until the repairs cost more than it's worth....well, this might be it. However, all my funds are already dedicated to surgery so it's gonna be a long hot summer. Oh---and as a result there is no way I'm driving 8ish hours round trip this weekend to go see my friend, so I'm just going to have to fly down and see her this winter in Texas---which actually will be lots more fun!!

Decided to brave Whole Foods this afternoon and it was CRAZY in there! I didn't buy anything because it was too hard to really even get around and there was no way I was waiting in one of those lines but I did a quick survey of the place and it's GREAT!! It's not huge, but bigger than the ones I went to in MN and Chicago and it actually has a lot of stuff packed into it. VICKI---beware, do not go there hungry (and grumpy and hot ). Wow---I wanted 2 of everything! And being hormonal and craving chocolate right now I decided I had to go look at the organic chocolates---yikes! Tons of good stuff but what I will definitely be getting at some point is the peanut butter malt balls. All made with ingredients I use 'safely'.....not saying I couldn't overeat them but no white sugar or that kind of crap so not a trigger for me.....or they shouldn't be, guess we'll see! Their prices were actually great and lots of sales on stuff that I use regularly so I'll be going back soon---those gift cards are burning holes in my pocket!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #112
Blabbermouth!!!

The tourney is still in the same state Teresa. So, 100 degrees.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #113
Blabbermouth!!!

My son's team won last night 15-9, whoop, whoop. I looked at the concession stand menu and the only items on there that would work for me was diet pop and a dill pickle. Or, a hot dog or loose meat sandwich if I wanted to toss the bun. Not worth it. I guess I am used to the concession stand in my town that offers two kinds of salads.

After the game we went to the grocery store and stocked up on deli meat, deli cheese, celery, carrots, cherries and apples. We did each get a premade Cobb Salad for supper though. I also bought peanuts in the shell. We ate the salad after we returned to the motel.

This morning I did 35 minutes on the eliptical, stretched out on a stretching machine and did some upper body work with weights along with ab work on the ball for a total workout time of about 45 minutes or so.

I am getting into the groove, yippee. Now, I haven't weighed for quite some time, maybe two weeks or so. I am not sure if I will when we get home at the end of the week, we will see.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everybody

VICKI.....CONGRATS to your son and team! That is awesome!!!
WTG on the exercise and staying on plan!
Quote:
I am getting into the groove, yippee.
BRAVO!!!!! When you get in the groove there is no stopping you! KUTGW!!!!

TERESA.... BUMMER on the ac going out in your car. Argh. I feel your pain. I've driven cars without ac's in the deep south. One was black. I felt like a big slab of bacon driving around in a cast iron pan on wheels.

Is it the compressor? Is it still blowing air? Maybe it just needs to be recharged with coolant???

so sorry you had to miss your trip this weekend. But it does sound like a lot of fun to fly to Texas!
Old 07-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #115
Big Yapper!!!!

Vicki---yay for your son's team!! And you most definitely are in the groove---good for you!

Liz---so how is your weekend going? The car thing is a bummer. I went out and got errands done early this a.m. before it hit 100+. I always leave for work early so that should be fine but coming home in the evenings will not be fun---luckily it's only about a 15 min drive, depending on traffic. As far as what is wrong with it, no clue. Air was still blowing yesterday---very hot air. I didn't even bother to turn it on today. So what might it mean if it's still blowing?

I bought a Ninja this weekend. Too lazy to take it all out of the box and set it up, but I did buy one!

I have been a major lump today. Did 4 loads of laundry and a few dishes early this morning and that's it----oh and a bit of food prep this afternoon, which just added more dirty dishes to the pile. I can't decide if my lack of energy/tiredness is just heat related or something else. I definitely need to talk with my Dr about doing some kind of adrenal testing when I see her next. I was reading something this weekend that said that sleeping problems are often one of the first signs of adrenal fatigue...well, I've had that going on for a few years now. Adrenal issues are also apparently highly connected to thyroid problems, and that peeps who have undx'd thyroid issues for a long time likely have adrenal fatigue. Well, when I was first dx'd my levels were so far off the charts that the Dr said I had probably been hypo for a long time. Then for about 15 years I was undermedicated---or not fully medicated (we weren't addressing the T3) so a whole bunch more time with stress on the adrenals I guess.... I've just never put enough time into studying this whole adrenal thing---it seems really hard to me to nail down the symptoms and there doesn't seem like there is really a concrete consensus at least in the medical profession about the whole thing. But luckily my Dr is pretty open minded and knowledgeable, especially with womens health issues, so I'm hoping she will do some testing.

Off to veg out...basically do what I've been doing all day!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #116
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning

I was so excited when I looked at the weather this morning---it said it was going to be 80!!! Then I realized that was the low. It's gonna be over 100 for the next 3 days but then it's supposed to go down to 88-90 for the end of the week and weekend---YAY!!

WI at 160.6--I'm shocked to be down almost 3 lbs in 2 weeks, that's a record loss for me anymore!! With the exception of pigging out at the reunion pot luck, and eating a couple of times before I was truly hungry, I've followed the 'not eating until hungry' concept pretty well. I'm probably going to have to figure out the next step of stopping eating when satisfied to lose much more. I've realized that if I wait until I am truly hungry to eat the satisfied and full cues are actually much stronger....not sure why that is but now I just need to start 'honoring' them! I'm not going to weigh in again until Aug 1 when I'll hopefully be back to the 50's.

Have a nice day ladies!!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA..... WOOOOHOOOO! I'm so happy for you on the weight loss! You are so close to the 150's again....a few sneezes and you are there!
Very interesting that waiting until you are truly hungry makes your full cues more strong. Usually when I wait too long I have a hard time stopping eating Maybe it is a matter of degrees? Not waiting till I'm starving but instead where I'm hungry.
I'm happy that it is working out for you

Which ninja did you get?

Re. the car a/c..... An a/c refrigerant leak can cause it to blow hot air. I could be wrong but that has been my experience with a few cars.

I have been told that auto zone will do a free a/c diagnostic test for a leak. If you have one in your area it might be worth a call to see if they do it for free.
They can check for a leak by using a dye test. Hopefully if that is the problem it wouldn't be a major repair. Just seal the leak (maybe change a hose) and replace the refrigerant. If auto zone doesn't do it you can call around and ask for price of an a/c diagnostic test. Most places will apply it towards the cost of the leak repair. The only thing is if it is a major mechanical issue (compressor bad) it would be very expensive.
Also you might ask the charge for the refrigerant (usually under $100) if you even consider getting it looked at.

I'm not sure if you want to deal with it. I understand it is an older car but it is really really rough to go without ac in these temps. At least there are only a few more months to go until it cools a bit
I'm glad that you go to work early enough to avoid the heat.
I worked an afternoon shift in New Orleans in SUMMER heat driving a black car without a/c. Yucko.

If you don't get the a/c fixed I would highly recommend a sun visor thing and a fan to sit on your dash.

I hope you feel more energy! The heat always drains me. Let us know what you find re. the adrenal fatigue.

I had a pretty good weekend. DH was off so we hung out a bit and went to eat at Corky's bbq. I think they have those nationwide. They do the most incredible, tender beef brisket and pulled pork. I order them without bbq sauce. You get a massive heap of meat with 2 sides for under $10. mmmmmm

Last edited by healthylowcarbin; 07-23-2012 at 09:04 AM..
Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm craving mexican food and I would like to attempt to cook a skirt/flank steak. I'm thinking this recipe could be easily low carb (using low carb tortilla).

Does anyone have a favorite mexican marinade or recipe?

I'm also really wanting to try to cook a tender beef brisket. I am amazed by the brisket at corkys bbq. So incredibly tender.

CARNE ASADA taco recipe:Ingredients
U.S. Metric Conversion chart
1/2 cup(s) white vinegar
2 tablespoon(s) chili powder
2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
2 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt, divided
1 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
2 pound(s) flank or skirt steak, trimmed and cut into 3 equal portions
1 pound(s) tomatoes, chopped
2 fresh jalapeño peppers or serrano chiles, seeded and finely diced
1/2 cup(s) chopped onion
1/2 cup(s) chopped fresh cilantro
1 ripe but slightly firm avocado, diced
Juice of 1 lime
16 5- to 6-inch corn or whole-wheat flour tortillas, warmed
1/3 cup(s) crumbled Cotija cheese (see Tip) or other shredded cheese
Directions

Whisk vinegar, chili powder, oil, 2 teaspoons salt, and garlic powder in a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Add steak and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
Make salsa about 20 minutes (and up to 2 hours) before cooking the meat: Gently combine tomatoes, jalapeños (or chiles) to taste, onion, cilantro, avocado, lime juice, and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
Place the steak on a rimmed baking sheet (discard the marinade). Broil 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain. Serve the steak wrapped in warm tortillas and topped with the salsa and cheese.

Tip: Cotija cheese, also called queso añejo or queso añejado, is an aged Mexican cheese similar to Parmesan. Find it near other specialty cheeses or in Mexican grocery stores.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I got my free blood glucose/ketone meter today. It took less than a week and was free! It is a really nice meter with 10 free strips (glucose) and 2 free ketone strips.

My blood glucose was 77 one hour after eating. My ketones are 1.5.
So if that is right I'm in ketosis. I might get urine keto strips just to see what range that puts me in.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #120
Blabbermouth!!!

WTG Teresa, woot, woot.

Liz, did I miss something? Are you a diabetic? What is with the glucose/ketone meter and how did you get it free?

I splurged last night and had DQ cone. Otherwise, been on plan. My other splurges have primarily been fruit. Not too bad.

My sons team is 3-0 and I think first seed (whatever that means) and is now in bracket play (ditto to previous comment). LOL
Closed Thread