Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #31
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Liz---you were looking for crockpot recipes---here's one I found that I'm going to make this weekend (after I tweak some things to make it fit my plan!). This makes 8 servings so you may want to cut it down---but it might work perfect for your breakfast.

BBQ'd Pulled Chicken

1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 4oz can chopped green chilis, drained
3 T cider vinegar
2 T honey
1 T paprika
1 T tomato paste
1 T worcestershire sauce
2 t dry mustard
1 t ground chipolte chili
1/2 t salt
2.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced

Throw everything in crock pot except last 3 ingredients---stir up. Add last 3 ingredients and combine. Cook on low until chicken can be pulled apart--about 5 hours. Take out chicken and shred with fork. Add back to sauce--stir well--serve.

Sounds like an easy yummy way to make some bbq chicken to me! I'm just going to trade out the thighs for breasts, get rid of a few things I don't like or aren't protocol friendly or sub them with something else and it should be easy enough. Personally I would love to add some chopped multi colored bell peppers to this. But I'll make it strictly protocol friendly (or at least very close to it) for my first attempt.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I just can't stomach chicken for breakfast.

My two oldest boys are now on their way back to their respective homes it was fun while they were here. Now to get back to a normal routine, clean the house and get it ready to put back on the market. It won't take much though.

We are supposed to have a break in the heat starting tomorrow. Thank goodness.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Hey all

I ran out of chicken breasts so I had some HB eggs and sardines for breakfast. Higher fat with less protein. I'm curious to see if it holds my hunger as well.

DH is off this weekend and it has cooled off a bit (upper 90's ..almost a cold front)
We're planning to go to costco and do some major grilling on the big green egg. Thankfully the big green egg seems to be safe now.:sprayer:

VICKI...I'm glad you had a nice time with your family.
Good luck on putting your house back on the market! I've heard housing reports that sales are up. We actually had an offer on our home but it was just insultingly low. We tried to negotiate but both sides refused to budge.
They offered 25% less than asking price for a totally renovated home with a new roof, new granite in kitchen and baths, redone hardwood floors, fresh paint, new light fixtures, new kitchen appliances, new siding etc.... Argh. And they wanted us to pay closing costs.
We'll probably end up leasing the house.
I hope you have much better luck.

The other thing is that we are paying electricity bills of $150 per month and a gas bill of $50 per month for an unoccupied home. It is out of state or I would go over and turn off the ac. Especially when there were no viewings for OVER a month. I asked the realtor to turn off the ac and she said , "it is too hot". Yeah, gotta keep an empty house freezing cold. I'm not sure if I'm being unreasonable

Sorry for the rant/vent............

TERESA....thanks for sharing the crockpot recipe! That looks very tasty. I'll have to try it out. Let me know if you try it.
I might have to omit the chills. DH is a total wuss when it comes to spicy.
I've never cooked with chills because of DH. I think I need to just do me some spicy grub. What type of green chills would you use? Canned or fresh? I know there are different types with different levels of heat. I'll have to research before I experiment.

I'm sorry that the scale did not reflect your behavior. I'm thinking you're due for a whoosh. When I get swollen and the scale goes up a bit (when on plan) it usually means whooshville. I read somewhere that the fat cells will temporarily fill with water after being emptied then release the water all at once causing the whoosh. I'm not sure if that is accurate but it helped me when the scale didn't cooperate
And I bet the hormones could definitely play a part.

Stay strong...you're doing GREAT and the weight WILL come off:jump joy:

I almost think it is a good thing that you didn't do the coconut oil. Then you may have blamed the innocent co for the gain.

WINIFRED.... I hope you had a good dinner.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Liz---that stinks about the house--I really hope you find a buyer (who doesn't give an insulting offer ) very soon!!

I have the bbq chicken in the crockpot right now and it smells divine. Didn't use any green chilis---I'm not really into them plus they aren't on protocol. I also couldn't find any of the chipolte powder so I just put in some regular chili powder---no clue if they are anything alike but I think it will be good anyway....hopefully! I was going to use my xylitol sweetened honey but I like a brown sugar/molasses taste to bbq sauce so I used some brown Ideal sugar instead....not my fave but I figured I shouldn't use my coconut palm or other brown sugars while on protocol. Otherwise I pretty much followed the recipe---oh, and I used onion powder instead of onions....cause I can't stand the texture of onions (with the exception of some onion rings! ).

I was thinking the same thing about the coconut oil....if I decide to experiment with that I will need to do it when things are a bit more consistent. But honestly, I don't particularly like it and it doesn't give me energy or aid in weight loss for me so my only reason to use it on protocol would be hunger.....and if that doesn't resolve itself soon I won't be doing it anymore!!

Actually---today I am pretty much eating completely NON protocol foods but keeping the calories very low. I wanted to wait until tomorrow to do any experimenting but by about 8:30 this morning I was ready to just call this quits because I'm sick of hunger and I'm feeling pretty run down. BUT---I have to keep in mind that although I have let myself get sucked into the excitement of losing some lbs, my main goal is to reset the hypothalamus and reap all the hormonal benefits. I truly just want to get my body back to functioning like it was before this last year...and I kind of think that this might help--at least I hope so!! So I did some more researching and although there's lots of contradicting stuff, and no one has really done much in the way of thorough studies (except Simeons who apparently didn't document any of the data or it all got lost or something ) I think I can still get the health benefits from this in other ways, and probably get some weight loss as well....just not as much. Simeons talks about people who have no abnormal fat left but that they have to stay on the protocol for at least 21 days to get the benefits so they increase cals to 800-1000 a day---basically until they quit losing weight. So that tells me that the hormonal benefits can still be attained at higher cals as long as at least 21 days are completed. Since I have lots of abnormal fat than it would stand to reason that I will still lose at the higher cal level, just not as fast...which is OK. What I still can't find the answer about is why X amount of protein, why 0 added fat, and that kind of stuff. To me---if a pregnant woman was eating 500 cals a day of fat only, or 500 of carbs only, or 500 of protein only...wouldn't the body still kick into survival mode and release the fat to provide nutrients for the fetus?? I would like to think so. So I'm going to play with this---at least for today---and see if I can't find a way to make this doable. And maybe, just maybe, the appetite and feel good thing will kick in soon.

With all that said---I have had less than 300 cals today (not much more than I would have had by now if following strict protocol) but non-protocol foods....and I feel 90% better already! I'm not sure if it was switching protein sources (I don't seem to deal with meat well) or adding a little fat (although not more than if I chose eggs or beef which are allowed on occasion on protocol---and both of which I tried this week but gave me no relief). Whatever it is, I feel sooo much better! I actually have some energy now and my headache that has been starting mid to late morning everyday hasn't happened yet...so I'm happy! Now I need to go research how vegetarians do protocol because I really think that the protein sources might be my problem. Although I have only been eating 7 ounces worth a day, that is about the same or more than I eat on a typical maintenance day--and right now that is amounting to over 50% of my cals, where as during maintenance it's probably less than 20%. So anyway, I think I'm on to something---at least I hope so!

Sorry to bore you all with my protocol ramblings...but it helps me to think it through if I write it down! I hadn't even thought about looking at this from a vegetarian perspective until I was writing all that so it definitely helps me put the pieces together....or at least attempt to, when I write out the thoughts in my head!

Back to researching....
Old 07-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Vicki---uggg, putting the house back on the market does not sound like fun. But I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end. Hopefully you can find a buyer before school starts back up!

Glad you had a good time with your family--I'm sure it's hard to see the boys leave.

Reminder----Whole Foods opens on Weds the 18th. If I have time I might try to go over there on opening day during my lunch hour but otherwise I suspect I will wait a week or so as it will probably be really chaotic and crowded. My plastic surgeons office is near there so I will get a chance to go there frequently after surgery next month.

Last edited by Teresa123; 07-07-2012 at 11:26 AM..
Old 07-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

Liz---I forgot to say on the bbq chicken I made the sauce for the full recipe but only used half the chicken. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be glad about that because it still doesn't look like much sauce....but I love sauce so maybe it's just me.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #37
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey---I'm talking to myself again.

Liz---the bbq chicken was good but bland. Definitely needs the chilis or something. When I heat up the leftovers I plan to add more spices and I'm sure it will be great---just needs a little something. I also think it could use some more vinegar---but I love a sweet/tangy and a little spicy kind of sauce. I loved the technique though--in the crockpot, homemade bbq sauce, everything done at once, chicken was super tender, easy clean up, etc. so I will definitely be playing around with the recipe and doing it again.

Yesterday ended up being a very good day with minimal hunger---yay!! Not sure if it was the change up in food or it was just time for it to happen but since it was pretty immediate after eating I'm going to say the food. I'm really bummed I didn't take measurements before starting this. I didn't even think about it until after the load days but didn't think that would be a very accurate gauge so figured I would wait until I got the load weight off and then do it. But---the load weight isn't off yet my pants are looser. I started working this morning on cleaning out my closet and decided to try on some pants that I just wore a couple of weeks ago---praying they would fit because I'm scared I won't have any clothes to wear until this load weight is gone (they were already very snug before) but they already actually fit better. I really wasn't expecting that because I have always been a pretty consistent loser with lbs and inches but I have to keep reminding myself that 1) my body is just different now and it reacts differently and 2) this plan works completely differently than any other kind of weight loss plan so I really should quit trying to predict what will happen!

Oh---and the best news of all---after at least a couple of weeks (maybe longer ) I just turned the air conditioner off! I hate being cooped up with the air on (don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for air conditioning!) so it's very nice to have windows open and a nice little breeze. It's supposed to get to the upper 80's today but as long as it's not too humid it should be great. Plan to go out and get in a short walk in just a bit.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gynx8467
Stats: 239.4/195.2/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Restart June 2010
Hey all, quick check in. You guys have been busy. I finally got the computer fixed and have the internet as long as DH is home. Oh well.

I am not sure how much I will be on tho, just had surgery and am feeling kind of tired. Can't do much for the next six weeks. But I am determined to eat right. have a great day all.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Jennifer, welcome back.

Liz, 25% under asking, duh??

Teresa, we are waiting a while before going to Whole Foods, let the newness wear off.

Man, temps finally dropped. AC off, windows open. It was cloudy this morning so I got the windows washed inside and out and screen washed. There isn't much but tidying up and some maintenance cleaning to be ready to put house back on the market. I will call realtor later today and have her come tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everybody!

We did some grilling on the big green egg. We did some top sirloin steaks and some pork chops. The sirloin came out really dry and a bit chewy. I'm thinking he probably overcooked them. It is a bit of a tougher cut of meat but I really like the taste. Next time I think I will marinade them in something to help with the tenderizing AND I will force DH to take them off the grill before they resemble shoe leather.

We also got a ninja at costco. It is the pro 1100. It is different than the ones at walmart. It has a food processor and a blender bowl. I needed a new blender so this should work out. The smaller food processor should work really well for frozen stuff. It came with a really nice cookbook. I made the most amazing creamy humus with it.
I like the fact that it has 3 rows of very sharp blades. Much better for getting stuff creamy than other blenders which have one row of blades at the bottom.

VICKI... Yay for the temps cooling off. It is still in the 90's here.

JEN...Howdy! I hope you're doing well and you get a chance to post more. Sending you hugs and healing thoughts for a quick recovery from surgery.

TERESA.... thanks for the info on the bbq chicken. I'll definitely try it.
I find that tomato sauce really helps keep chicken breasts from drying out and keeps them tender.

YAY for less hunger and for the pants fitting better!!! That is exciting! I hope you have another good day today! Please keep sharing your thoughts/experiences with protocol. You are NEVER boring and always helpful/informative

I agree with Vicki....AVOID whole foods at lunch time. It can be a mad house. Hard to enjoy the store when you can hardly move around. If possible the best time to go is right when they open (especially Sat and Sun). Hardly anyone there and you have time to really cruise the aisles and check out the products.
I would recommend checking the website and printing any coupons that you might use. They do have them in stores (coupon books) but are often out. You can also ask at customer service for coupons. Usually they will have a box of coupons grouped together. I got 10 coupons for $1 off of zevia last time they were on sale for $2.99 per six pack. I prefer to ask instead of ripping up 10 coupon books.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

Well---I have figured out why the hunger and bounce on the scale and why I did better yesterday....yada yada.... My HCG is 'not pregnant.' In other words, it's no longer potent. I pregnancy tested it and it was negative. Mixed the other vial and pregnancy tested it---also 'not pregnant.' UGGGGG!!! Well, it all makes sense now. At this moment I'm pissed and disappointed---but I'm trying to take this as a greater lesson, perhaps I was not meant to do this!

Going to go eat lots of peanut butter right NOW!!! .....
Old 07-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Is the HCG real or is it homeopathic?
Old 07-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

It's the real stuff, from India.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa123 View Post
Well---I have figured out why the hunger and bounce on the scale and why I did better yesterday....yada yada.... My HCG is 'not pregnant.' In other words, it's no longer potent. I pregnancy tested it and it was negative. Mixed the other vial and pregnancy tested it---also 'not pregnant.' UGGGGG!!! Well, it all makes sense now. At this moment I'm pissed and disappointed---but I'm trying to take this as a greater lesson, perhaps I was not meant to do this!

Going to go eat lots of peanut butter right NOW!!! .....
many preg test do not show positive until above 100u hcg

I think that the hcg for the diet would be much lower
I could be wrong.....but are you sure of the amount?

step away from the PB !
I'm sorry if the drops aren't working
Old 07-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

Yeah---regular pregnancy tests will pick this up---even the cheap ones. Everyone uses the ones from the dollar store. Sometimes they apparently test with a faint line, sometimes a bright line but 'pregnant is pregnant' and these aren't. It totally makes sense with all that I've been through the last several days.

Too late on the pb---and it was good! Although honestly anything at this point would taste good....well, except celery, romaine leaves, melba toast and apples---already kind of sick of those! What I can't figure out is my pants being looser---although could just be that there is absolutely no food in my body to 'plump it up.'

Now on to figuring out what to do....guess it's back to maintenance type eating but I am going to try to use the 'hunger scale' that Robin Woodall teaches and see what that does for me. Supposedly if you simply eat only when at a certain level of hunger and only to a certain level of satisfaction it will also reset leptin---which will be very hard for me but much easier than starving I would think.

I'm soooooooo mad that I didn't test this stuff before using it---could have avoided the 10 lb gain and multiple days of hunger...all of which will do the exact opposite for my hormones of what I was striving for. Years ago when I was reading lots of hcg blogs/boards I knew all the little ins and outs like that. Most recently I have just been so interested in the science and figuring it out that I have forgotten all of those kinds of details--live and learn I guess.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA...... That really stinks about the drops

I've never heard of the hunger scale. Is it like intuitive eating?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi all, the hunger scale, will have to check that out. I probably know what it is. Someone quoted on a post yesterday Dr. J. Berardi who said "Hunger is not an emergency". I keep telling myself that! I rarely let myself experience hunger though. I tend to graze and snack on whatever. The hunger scale may help here.

I bought a huge can of a snack mix at Sam's club last week. I thought it was a huge can of mixed nuts, should have know and read the list of ingredients. The label said Mixed Nuts, guess you can't go by that it had sesame sticks and other chunks of carby stuff along with a miniscule amount of nuts, mainly sunflower kernels. Anyways, I was eating it just to be eating it. I didn't really like it. I sent the can off to work with DH today, he can keep it there, I am sure others will eat it.

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs

Last edited by vli1127; 07-09-2012 at 05:24 AM..
Old 07-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning...Monday...but I'm off work and it's only supposed to be 88 today!!

Liz--yep, it sucks bad. I'm really pissed that it took me almost 4 years to take the plunge and this is the result. I need to just get over it though and move on because I could definitely feel the binge thinking yesterday because I was so ticked off.

And---in case I needed any further proof that it wasn't working---I ended up eating about 2000 cals or so yesterday just trying to get full---mostly fat but quite a bit of starch/grains and of course some chocolate and pb. This is on top of the 700-800 cals of protocol food I had already had (way above what I should have eaten but I was trying anything to get rid of the hungries). Anyway, above maintenance for me for sure but I was only up .2 today....and my hands are still swollen so I know I'm retaining some. If there was hcg in my blood, especially after a week of it and 5 days of it with very little food---I should have been up 3-5 lbs, possibly more. I've seen people on hcg gain at least that much just from having one donut.....so yeah, no hcg.

At this point I don't have time to start a round even if I want to before surgery---it takes several weeks to get it from India and the place I got mine doesn't even sell it anymore since the FDA banned it (or threatened to ban it or whatever they did) so if I ever decide to do it again I will have to go through a clinic. I'm sure that will be expensive but one round would do it and it would probably be worth the price to ensure what I'm getting is good and that I'm doing it right, etc. Who knows, we'll see if I can fix these hormones and lose the weight on my own---the good old fashioned way. The other thought I had was to talk with my Dr next month and see if she is open to monitoring me for a round---with the idea of doing it without my thyroid meds. Scary I know but if it truly does what Dr. Simeons proclaims, then if I did it without I should be able to correct my thyroid issues. This doesn't of course work for someone who has had all or part of it removed....but I haven't.....so if I were 'followed' by my Dr I would be willing to give it a try. I'm blessed in that that is the only thing I have to take meds for, but I would be so incredibly excited if I could get off those!!

The hunger scale---yeah it would be a kind of IE thing I guess. I don't know much about IE---remember reading about it before and just laughing because I thought if I could do that then I wouldn't be overweight in the first place ...but that was long ago. I would like to think I'm in a different place now and have a bit better understanding of my body and my relationship with food---maybe. Anyway, the hunger scale is a bit more specific than anything I've seen with IE---although keep in mind I've never looked much at IE so I could be wrong. She basically puts hunger on the scale from 1-5 and satisfaction/fullness on the scale from 5-10----5 is defined as 'empty---could eat but don't need to.' When you are getting to a 3.5 you need to eat and then eat until you are a 5.5...so basically not at all full, just past empty and maybe a bit satisfied. Now--I know on that definition I couldn't do a 5.5 because I would just be hungry a couple hours later and at work I don't always have the ability to eat multiple times a day, nor do I think it's healthy for me. But I think waiting until 3.5 or 4 and stoping at 6-6.5 would be a vast improvement for me. Although I definitely think I have to have some routine to when I eat just because my life kind of dictates that---I do think I should get away from eating strictly by the clock...which will be hard. That is how I 'organized' my eating when I started losing---eat x amount at x time in x balance of macros/cals, etc. I've gotten away from some of that but I still eat by the clock for the most part, which most of the time corresponds with hunger, but not always. Eating without hunger screws up the system and although these aren't her words I think that's part of the cause of leptin resistance. But basically----you don't ever want to be full and you don't ever want to be really hungry, both of those things will whack out your leptin levels (and I suspect adrenals and other hormones since they're all kind of connected). So if you think about the whole 'binge/restrict' cycle or yoyo dieting...yeah, we're damaging so much when we do that. Everyone always says that it ruins your metabolism, and it does, but it's because of what it does to hormones which impact a whole lot more than just metabolism.

Wow--sorry so long but I am still just very facinated with this whole thing. My focus right now is just going to be that I don't eat without hunger---because if I'm understanding this all correctly, that is where the most damage occurs. I'm also going to pay attention to the level of satisfaction/fullness but not making any promises on changing that right away.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #49
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning Vicki---missed you while writing me big long post (and playing with my kitty who is trying to sit on the keyboard ).

I'll post some of the stuff on the hunger scale in a bit....right now I'm at about a 3.5 (see above) and need to go EAT!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

OK---hunger crisis averted. I feel sooooo much better with some decent food in me! I think I posted the vlog that's in this thread the other day but here are the basics of the Hunger Scale. She also talks about leptin and HCG---actually I think that is most of the first part so you may or may not want to skip the first half or so of this. Although the leptin part is interesting.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/hc...pocalypse.html

She has some other vlogs that talk about leptin and about the hunger scale, but most of her vlogs are meeting with patients that are on hcg and basically doing counseling with them--although the hunger scale and how the patients are using it is discussed in most of them. Really interesting stuff seeing how it's being applied but personally I'm more interested in the science of it and keep looking for more of that kind of stuff.

Well---since all of the food I had prepared for this week is fat free protocol stuff I must go figure out what I'm going to do to 'fatten it up' and incorporate it into some meals for this week. And I have some baking to do. But first I believe I will go take a walk while it's so beautiful outside. I attempted one yesterday but only made it about 1/2 mile before I started to get light headed and had to turn around. I'm thinking that after today's breakfast I should be able to do a couple miles easily.

Oh, and speaking of protocol foods---what can I do with a fairly large carton of low fat cottage cheese? I like it OK by itself but I don't suspect I would want it more than once or twice before I got sick of it. I was thinking of trying to make a salad dressing with it instead of using sour cream/mayo---or maybe just sub out one or the other and use the cottage cheese?? Any thoughts? I would love it if I could find a good dressing to make with it as that would give me some more protein with my salads since I'd rather not add much if any meat.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #51
Big Yapper!!!!

Jen--I'm so sorry that in all my hcg craziness I forgot to say welcome back! So what happened--what kind of surgery? Are you off work? And I think you said you only have internet when DH is there---is that because you are using his phone? Inquiring minds want to know!!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've been doing leptin reset with lowish carbs. It is working really well for controlling my hunger and for losing weight. My problem is that I'm starting to have bad pain after eating anything too fatty (yesterday was pork chops). I pointed to the area of pain and asked DH for a diagnosis. He said it was definitely from having my gallbladder out. ARGH. Not fun. I seem to do ok with olive oil, butter and non-animal fats. I'll just keep the meat lean and add in fat if needed.

TERESA.....Lauren (healthy indulgences) has a recipe for making ice cream with cottage cheese. I think the recipe is low fat however I bet it would be pretty easy to increase fat content by making a decadent topping (fudge or PB???)
also she has a recipe for a decadent chocolate mousse using cottage cheese.

I like cottage cheese in eggplant or zucchini lasagna. I think it would also be good in a cheesy squash casserole.

I've never made a dressing with cottage cheese but I bet it would be a good base for ranch seasonings or blue cheese. I would just put it thru the blender/food processor to get out the lumps.

Personally, I love it with a bit of cocoa and sweetener added. I pretend it is my cocoa puff cereal that I loved as a kid. I've got weird tastes so I'm not sure if that would work for you.

I've also heard of several cheesecake recipes that use cottage cheese.

I'm glad you're feeling better. It's amazing how what we eat makes us feel.

RE. the hcg...
Quote:
if I ever decide to do it again I will have to go through a clinic. I'm sure that will be expensive but one round would do it and it would probably be worth the price to ensure what I'm getting is good and that I'm doing it right, etc.
I feel the same way. Are you ok with doing shots?

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out
Old 07-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

You guys may be shooting for a leptin reset I need a brain reset.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
You guys may be shooting for a leptin reset I need a brain reset.

Too funny. I could use one of those also. If you find the right plan please let me know

TERESA.... what did you end up baking/cooking? Did you fatify your low fat foods?

I'm trying to figure out how to breathe new life into some dry, tough pork chops that were grilled yesterday. I swear you need canine fangs to deal with those things. I hate to waste food so I'll probably try to slice them really thin and try to rehydrate them in some kind of sauce.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #55
Big Yapper!!!!

Liz---bummer on the gallbladder pain! On the pork chops, you could do gravy. Or take off the bone, shred and heat up in some bbq sauce or use in a stir fry or something.

Thanks for all the ideas on the cottage cheese! I've had cheesecake with cottage cheese----yuck! I don't like it sweetened at all. My mom used to always eat it with canned fruit--pineapple, peaches, etc. For whatever reason that was gross to me! But---I love the idea of a zuch lasagna. I'm thinking you gave me a recipe for a butternut squash lasagna once also---and I have a big butternut right now so I might see if I can find that.

As far as the shots---well, it's a little intimidating but I've watched them do it on youtube and it looks pretty easy if it's done with small needles. I would never do it IM but the SQ looks doable. I'd love to think I can accomplish this without the hcg but I'm keeping that idea in my 'back pocket' just in case.

I baked/cooked/prepped and shopped all morning! I made zuch muffins, lemon cheesecake muffins (soooo good---I made them super tart which I love!), cauli/green bean au gratin (my fave Kevinpa recipe ) and homemade Cliff bars which are also really tasty but I'll tweak them a bit more next time. Oh---also made some homemade whipped cream in my whipper thing---not that it was hard to make but I haven't used that thing in a long time. It was really good on the tart lemon cheesecake. Got lots of stuff ready for salads and I grilled talapia and steak. So I should be good for the week!! I do however have a potluck on Thursday that I'll have to make something for, then I'm going home this weekend for a family reunion where I'll be around sugar galore so I'm going to make something for that...just not sure what yet. Kind of thinking about cheesecake stuffed strawberries for both events if I can find some decent strawberries.

Vicki---I've been asking for a lobotomy forever but none of you peeps have been willing to do it! Seriously though, the leptin stuff actually is kind of a brain reset so it might be something to consider.

I have felt GREAT today! I was worried that my hunger would be out of control after being so hungry but it wasn't at all. I was really hungry this morning and ate a nice big breakfast and the rest of the day was fine. It was kind of annoying waiting until I was hungry to eat---I'm so used to fitting in meals when it's convenient and/or when the clock says it's time....this is going to be a whole different mindset! I was ticked off when I was at Sam's club and couldn't justify eating any of the free samples because I wasn't hungry.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #56
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning!

Gone for one day and I have a zillion e-mails. And of course a zillion meetings. Oh well, at least I have a job!!

Not really hungry yet and have my first meeting at 7:30 so this is going to be kind of crazy to figure out when I'm going to eat. I do have 30 min free at 8 so maybe I'll be hungry by then. I have meetings after that straight through until 3, including the lunch hour however that one is a net/phone conference so I'll be at my desk...hopefully I'll be hungry then. I think this is trickier than just eating less....maybe....

Liz---have you tested out your Ninja yet? I saw one at Sam's yesterday that tempted me, not the one you got but a different one than at WM. I decided I'm going to try to play around with my food processor a bit more and give it a 'fair chance' and if I still can't get used to it I'll just move it off the counter and make space for the Ninja. I really just wish however that they had a smaller version...that would make me happy.

Alright, as much fun as it is to talk to myself I need to go get another cup of tea before my meeting.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
My internet has been down since saturday.Teresa you said cauil/green bean augratin,how do you fix it ? QVC is showing silcone microwave chip makers that you can make chips out of lots of veggies looks like it would be nice for me to make snacks.Now they got a healthy frozen treat maker for 48.36 these are very good ideas.Liz I sorry about your gallbladder troubles.Have a good day everyone.I'm off to watch QVC.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everybody

I'm still having pain after eating. I ate chicken breast with 1tbsp of ranch dressing. I hope this doesn't mean that I have to go really low fat. I will go see a doctor if this continues.

WINIFRED...I'm glad you got your internet back! I love kitchen gadgets! I would probably want every one if I watched QVC. My problem is that I get one and then I don't use it enough to justify the purchase. Ice cream maker, dehydrator, etc....

I would like the convenience of doing the chips in the microwave. It sounds interesting.
Let us know if you get a new and interesting gadget.

TERESA... Your food sounds amazing!

I'm glad you're feeling great!:jump joy:
How is your hunger driven WOE going today? Are you able to eat more than 3 meals if you feel hungry?

I have tested out the ninja and LOVE it. I made hummus that was incredibly creamy and a frozen smoothie. The thing I most love is the triple level blades instead of just one set of blades at the very bottom. I'm not sure if all of the ninjas are like that. I hate to have to remove the lid and try to move food/ice/whatever around to get closer to the blade at the bottom of the food processor/blender. I also like the fact that it isn't as NOISY as my cuisinart was. That thing would make every dog in the neighborhood start howling.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #59
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey Winifred---if you get some of the gadgets I want to hear about them too! I've never heard of a microwave chip maker---what will they come up with next?!

Here's the recipe for the cauli/green bean thing:

Scalloped Cauliflower and Green Beans

This has been one of my favorite recipes since starting low carb. There are tons of things that I used to make a lot that I haven't made in years...this is one of the few low carb recipes that I have made over and over and probably always will! It is great exactly as written but I've also tweaked it a lot based on what I have on hand and it always is delish!

Liz---thanks for the review on the Ninja...I have a feeling I will be getting one soon! Not sure if all of them have the 3 blades or not. I know the one that I was thinking about getting at Sam's did.

Gosh---that really sucks about the fat! So why do you think it's suddenly acting up? Weren't you able to eat fat for awhile there?

Eating to hunger you can eat as many times as you need to daily, no limits on that. Because I don't think snacks work well for me mentally or in regards to insulin I have always just tried to stick with 3 meals and I'm going to continue that I think. That's one of the reasons why I don't think only going to a 5.5 (on the scale) would work for me, but who knows, maybe as I get better at it I could snack, not sure. Right now I'm just working on the part where I wait until I am actually hungry before eating. I've noticed these last 2 days that I 'think' I'm hungry right around my normal meal times but when I really check in with myself I realize I'm not. I'll have a couple sips of water or some tea and I'm fine for awhile longer. I did end up eating lunch before I was truly hungry today because if I didn't I would have had to wait another 2 hours and by then I would have been really hungry....and very cranky---which would have been dangerous for those around me! I did wait tonight though until I was hungry. I know it's only been 2 days now but it seems like my hunger hits right about an hour later than I normally eat which is kind of interesting. I was worried that waiting until I was hungry would mean that I would eat more which has been my past experience but that hasn't been the case. Probably because I am not letting myself get overly hungry---I nip it in the bud as soon as hunger hits. Anyway, pretty interesting so far---just wish my schedule was a little more flexible or that snacking worked for me. I would like to believe that I could 'manipulate' it a bit as I get better at this---be able to gauge my hunger so that I eat only what I need to so that I make sure that I'm hungry when it's going to work for me to eat again. I suspect that wouldn't work all the time since hunger varies based on so many things but I think if I really pay attention to my hunger cycles I could probably make that work most of the time. When I started low carb I was determined to cut snacking out of my life---so I had to learn how much to eat to get me to the next meal because if I didn't eat enough I would just tough it out and be hungry...so I learned my body pretty quickly as far as what and how much I needed to remain satisfied. So this is kind of the same thing I think---just taking it down a notch. What I do think is going to be really interesting and hard for me to deal with is going to be cycle related hunger. I am definitely hungrier several days before TOM and then usually the day it arrives I have no hunger. I have always tried to eat the same on those days whether I am more hungry or less---so eating sooner or more on the hungry days and not really eating on the not hungry day is going to be hard!! The crazy thing about that---it's the most natural thing in the world...just eat when you're hungry and don't when you're not....so why does that kind of scare me?!

Where is Vicki???
Old 07-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

Quickie post for now. I have an investment club meeting (social and learning group) in a few minutes.

I'm up a pound on the scale even though I've been faithfully on plan.
I"m thinking it is time to quit weighing daily and just stay on plan. Probably every 3 days weigh-in should be good.

I hope everyone is having a good day!
We finally got some much needed rain yesterday and a bit of a cool down:jump joy:

I'll be back later
Closed Thread