Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #451
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
How is everyone doing?

I am still struggling to find a plan that my body will tolerate. I got so sick when I tried low carb/high fat. Since my gallbladder removal I'm not digesting fats well.

I'm sticking to 3 meals and eating mostly whole foods. I'm not losing but I'm not gaining either so that is something.

I'm very happy to discover one of my main migraine triggers. Tyramine in foods, especially soy beans, KILLS me. I get a major headache within one hour of ingesting soy. If I eat too much I get a migraine and my BP goes up.
I was taking a BP pill that my husband prescribed for relief and it helped. I'm SO glad that I've figured it out. Since avoiding soy and other foods high in tyramine my BP has been great and I am headache free!

The only difficulty I have is when I eat out. I am shocked by how many restaurant foods have some sort of soy or soybean oil. Salad dressings are big culprits.

Sorry to go on about my migraines. I'm just so relieved to have found some sort of trigger.

I hope everyone is having a good holiday season! Please check in when you can

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #452
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
I am sooooo glad you found one of your triggers! And, if you have to have a trigger, I'm glad it's something that (in my opinion anyway) is horrible for ya in so many ways!! I wish all the foods that were bad for me would trigger all kinds of horrible things....maybe I would quit eating them then.

Sorry your stupid gallbladder....or lack there of I should say ....is not cooperating with lc/hf. That stinks. Maybe you have to find a happy medium....like maybe whole foods and less fat during the day and a nice lc/hf dinner? I know I've read a lot of people say that for weight loss to get your carbs in during the day, not at dinner---even people that are not pro-low carb so maybe that would work weight wise and possibly help even craving/hunger wise and keep your body happy? They were even talking about this on the news the other day regarding all the weight people gain during the holidays and one of the tips to avoid gaining was to get your favorite sugary/carby treats in at breakfast or early in the day. I definitely couldn't apply that to sugary junk because then I would just want more all day but I think it might not be a bad idea of focus on higher carb things earlier in the day...maybe....? Hmmmmm....maybe I need to try this.

I just did 4 days of very low carb (for me)---one more day that I usually last ---and I am done! I just start to feel so gross and blah after a couple of days. I think/hope I got some of the cravings under control though so it was hopefully worth it. Didn't lose a darn thing but anymore there isn't much that I can find to do that does allow me to lose. I think I need to keep low carb 'in my back pocket' so to speak and just do it a day or two here and there when I get off course and need to refocus. Longer than that and my body and mind just don't function right. So back to eating yummy whole foods but cutting out all the extras I was eating way too often. I need to get through the holidays without gaining anymore weight and then I am seriously contemplating a round of HCG...but I'm not going to do it unless I have been stable up until then.

Off to veg....had a long day and tomorrow is going to be even worse. But the good news is that the rest of the week, at this point anyway, looks pretty good.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #453
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh, and forgot to report on steps. My pedometer broke a few days ago. The pedometer itself still works but the back/clip part came off. I bought a new one but haven't figured out how to use it yet---I think it's like the one you got Liz. I need to read the instructions and figure out how to get the battery cover off cause I'm assuming there is a little plastic thing over the battery that I need to remove to get it to start---but I don't have a teeeeeny tiny phillips screwdriver, and the stupid thing came with only a teeeeny tiny straight head which is for putting the clip thing together I think. So basically I just need to read the instructions! But my co-worker and I took a 30 min walk today at lunch and we plan (although we have had these plans before!) to do this daily...we'll see.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #454
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA..... Thanks for reporting on your steps I've really slacked off since I haven't been reporting here. I'll make sure to start bringing my pedometer with me and reporting
That is annoying about the pedometer breaking and then having trouble getting to the battery on the moron/omron brand. Both of my pedometers came with a tiny tool thing to open the back. Of course I lost the first one so I had to go out and buy an eyeglass repair kit at the dollar store. It has tiny screwdriver thingeys that worked. I have also gotten it off with the tip of a steak knife but it took so time and was most annoying. When I bought my 2nd moron pedometer I knew to purchase some extra batteries (round ones that are not the easiest to find). I put the batteries and the tiny screwdriver together in an envelope in my battery drawer.

Other than the annoyance with an unusual battery and needing a special tool to access the battery that moron one is my favorite pedometer. It is simple and has lasted much longer than other ones.

Thanks for the idea to eat the higher carb stuff in the morning. That is a good idea.

I met someone recently who has lost an amazing amount of weight doing hcg. She goes to a doctor who gives her the injections of hcg. She said it is the easiest way she has ever lost weight without hunger or cravings. She actually looks more toned like she has been working out. She said she hasn't exercised but that the hcg has caused her to lose weight in a different way than in the past. It really sparked my interest and I hope to see her again in a few months to see how she is doing.

Would you use the hcg drops or go for the shots?

I think that not gaining weight during the holidays is a great goal

Are you planning to make any treats for your coworkers for the holidays?

Have you cooked anything new lately?

I'm starting to crave that butternut squash cheesy quinoa casserole recipe that you shared. That is like the ultimate comfort food
Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #455
Big Yapper!!!!

Yeah, I need to check out the omron/moron instructions and see what's up. I just think it's weird that all of the little screws on the back of it are phillips, but the screw driver they included is a flat one??? Maybe tonight I'll play around with it. Good to know on the batteries---I'll have to keep my eyes open for them and make sure to get one for a spare. Actually the one I have that just broked was an omron too--but like I said the pedometer itself is still going strong, it's just the stupid back part. Maybe I can find a way to put some tiny little pins or something in there to hold it together since the screws seem to have come out.

Thanks for the reminder on the butternut/quinoa dish! I've been trying to think of some good things to make for the next couple of weeks and this will be one of them! I need to stop at TJ's and get some cheese, otherwise I think I have everything. I'm trying to think of all the yummy but healthy things I want to eat--1) to keep me focused through the holidays and 2) because once I do the HCG it will be a long time before I can have them again.

Speaking of HCG...not sure on shots or drops. I'll do the real stuff, and at one point I had bought all the stuff for injections but I can't find the amber bottle or the bac water so I have a feeling I threw them out at some point during my cleaning/re-org. I may just do the 'drops' but actually I think I would use the micro spray bottle method I saw long ago when I was first looking into HCG...not sure. It would be nice though just to do 1 shot a day and be done, no waiting around to drink/eat for 15 min and all that jazz....hmmmm. I probably need to decide this week so I can order some stuff if need be. I am also going to go and buy some more cheap prego tests so I make sure the stuff is good. I'm pretty sure when I did it before the problem was the stuff was like 4 years old and I think it's only good for maybe 2-3.....not sure, I'll need to look at the dates on the new stuff. You know I do wonder if it's better to take it once a day (shot) or 2x a day (drops/spray). The more I 'study' this stuff, it's actually just a chain of a ton of aminios, and it would seem to me from what I've learned about aminos that it might work better with smaller doses spread out??? But then again, this is a whole different thing than taking like 7 aminios in pill form, I think I read this is over 200 different aminos (although I honestly didn't realize there were even than many....maybe I need to do some more research). Speaking of that Ms Nursey does that mean aminos are hormones? Or just that they act on our hormones? When I've looked up what HCG is comprised of all I see are aminos yet people refer to it as a hormone?? Yeah, I think I need to do a bit more research. Anyway, when I discovered, or maybe rediscovered that it really boils down to a bunch of amino acids I felt a bit better about the whole thing---not that it's anything to mess with---but maybe it's not as crazy and out there as it seems since I know aminos have worked 'miracles' for me before! It also makes me kind of laugh about 1 of the many many misconceptions out there about HCG---everyone always says make sure you eat your protein, or if they are going to eat something extra they eat protein----but with all those aminos I totally understand why there is a very strict guideline around the amount of protein you are allowed to eat---and skipping it wouldn't hurt a thing.

If you happen to see your friend that takes the HCG, will you ask her if she is following the original protocal, or if her clinic has a different diet? I'm really leaning toward the OWL plan but just curious what other people who have been successful are doing.

Alright, getting ready for a 2 hour meeting. Seriously, I'm not sure when people will understand that anything over 50 minutes is just not productive. We have this meeting 2x a week (it's a project meeting) and we never accomplish much after the first 30-40 minutes....grrrrr.

BBL
Old 12-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #456
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovinglife50
Hi all back again - have been so busy - sounds like you all have been busy also - WOW this is some active board - hardly have time to respond to everyone individually so responding to all.
I have a new job - YEAH - I am a Patient Liaison Manager for a start-up company. LOVE IT - even the first two days - been off for the last two. I am working with Patients going into Clinical Trials Globally. Sister-in-law came to visit - she is a picky eater but when I say picky I mean all she eats are potatoes and toast - talk about low carb!!!!!!!!!!I had no desire to eat them. I in the meantime ate my three weighed and measured colorful, delicious foods. Feeling great with my food - at peace finally and thoroughly enjoying it all. Found a new recipe for sugar free meringues, so made breakfast of meringues, yogurt and berries - delicious!
Also went into Central London to see Christmas Lights and Windows - the spirit of Christmas is building. Enjoyed the view of London from the London Eye - Amazing. Then went to a lovely Spa to take care of my body (temple), I need to remember that this temple of mine is a Gift from God and I need to nurture and cherish it - I have been very blessed by surviving breast cancer twice, I MUST take care of it, it the only one I will have in this life. I did a floatation in a dead sea salt pool - fabulous, felt like I was floating through space, weighless. They offer an organic salad bar with fish and poultry and some lovely sparkling water with lemon - just delicious.
Then today we went off to the Portobello Road, Notting Hill, Kensington High Street - so what a great day!!!!!
Life is good and I am so blessed - just want to share that weighing and measuring three meals a day - no carbs is what works for me. Everyone needs to find what works for them and I truly believe we have our own journey in life and with the food.
I pray you find your way.
LIZ - YES PLEASE photo options please - would love to post my paintings

Yvonne
Old 12-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #457
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi all,

quick post from ipad. hard to type on this and DH is hogging desktop computer to do work.

will be back tomorrow to post

YVONNE .....CONGRATS on new job! im so happy for you. will share how to post pix tomorrow
Old 12-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #458
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just lost a huge post I hate when that happens.

YVONNE.....CONGRATS to you on your new job! I'm glad you're enjoying it. They are lucky to have you and I know you will be great to work with patients.

I'm so happy for you that you are at peace with your way of eating! Life is so much better when we don't have to struggle so much with what, when and how to eat.

You can post a pix here directly from your computer. Click on the paper clip icon on the top row. It will enable you to search your computer and post your pix.

Another way is to use photobucket. This is a wonderful and free site which allows you to upload, organize, store and share your photos. It is quite easy to use. Let me know if you use this and need help getting your pictures here.
I'd love to see your paintings! Are you still working on any paintings?

Your trip to London and the spa sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing
The dead sea salt water float sounds great. My friend has a salt water pool. I wonder if it would have a similar affect to float in that? Maybe I'll invite myself over next summer for a float
Old 12-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #459
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA.... Did you get your pedometer working?

I'm thinking about making the quinoa butternut squash casserole and adding italian sausage and sundried tomatoes. Have you tweaked the recipe or do you just stick to the original?

Quote:
does that mean aminos are hormones? Or just that they act on our hormones? When I've looked up what HCG is comprised of all I see are aminos yet people refer to it as a hormone??
Hormone Chemistry, Synthesis and Elimination

My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that aminos are building blocks. Some, but not all, hormones are made from aminos. HCG is a hormone and it is composed of amino acids. Not all amino acids become hormones and not all hormones are made of amino acids. Does that make sense?

Last edited by healthylowcarbin; 12-13-2012 at 06:54 PM..
Old 12-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #460
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
I'm still around just checking the posts.Hope everyone is keeping warm in this bad weather,its even getting cold here in alabama.Other than that everything is about the same.Have a blessed Friday.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #461
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey all! I'm at the office and just checking in to see if anyone is around....kind of a ghost town around here!

Winifred--it's cold here too! We got about a foot of snow Thursday and it's been blowing and nasty out---and the roads are still really bad. Doesn't look like it's going to warm up enough anytime soon to melt it off either. But we've had a mild winter up until now so I'm thankful for that!

Liz---I haven't tweaked the quinoa/butternut thing yet. I made it this week and after a couple of days I was bored with it. Maybe I'll try adding in something and see if I can liven it up! The very first time I made it, it was soooo good. Since then it seems to come out dry or something, not sure what I'm doing wrong. It's still good, but not like the first time. Let me know if you tried any tweaks and how they went.

Thanks for the link on hormones/aminos. I'm looking at it now, and it kind of makes sense, and kind of doesn't! But that's because I just don't really get that kind of stuff. Maybe I need to understand hormones better---considering they seem to rule my life and wreak all kinds of havoc on me, might be good to understand them!

I was planning on leaving town today but the roads are still too bad so hoping for tomorrow. Instead I am at the office....fun, fun. Still need to get one Christmas present but it's an easy one that I just kept putting off and then the bad weather hit and I haven't been able to do it until today...which of course everything will be packed today----that's what I get for procrastinating!

Hope you all have a wonderful and safe Christmas!
Old 12-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #462
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Holidays to everyone!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #463
Major LCF Poster!

Wishing all a Blessed and Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #464
Big Yapper!!!!

Merry Christmas ladies!!

I know we have died off in the last few months but hopefully we can get back to posting after the holidays?? If anyone is interested I will start a new thread on New Years.

Hope you are all having a wonderful blessed day!
Old 12-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #465
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds good a new thread for a new year.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #466
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Sorry I have been MIA. I haven't kept up with the posts either, sorry. I am hoping now that Christmas is over I can get new resolve. I have been cleaning/tossing stuff for garbage and/or Goodwill because we may have a buyer. Anyways, I am hoping that reverse psychology will work again.

A couple of years ago when I got to my lowest weight of about 170, I eventually got rid of the "fat" clothes. Well, not too long after that, I started regaining. Now that I am back up at a new heavy weight, I decided to get rid of my "skinny" clothes, those that I wore when I was 170. Now, if history repeats itself, I will start to lose weight because I ditched the smaller clothes.

I am all for a new thread too.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #467
Big Yapper!!!!

OK---new thread it is!

Winifred---were you guys affected by any of the storms down there? I heard just a little snip about some storms and tornadoes in your state but didn't get all the details---hope you were all safe from harm!

Vicki---interesting on the reverse psychology! I have a bunch of 'tiny' clothes I haven't been able to wear for several years now....maybe I should get rid of those, guess I wouldn't be too heartbroken if I ended up needing to buy new ones in a much smaller size! Glad to see you back!

It's almost the weekend again---yay!! I love short work weeks.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #468
Major LCF Poster!

Hi,no we were not affected,got plenty rain and lot of wind but thats all.Hope everyone had a good christmas.Vicki hope you have a buyer.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #469
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
Looking forward to a 2013 challenge

Hi there!! Looking forward to getting to know you and joining in a 2013 challenge! History has repeated itself and I am finishing up the holiday season as disgusted as always.. boo hoo.

I have a closet full of clothes ranging from size 14 (I have NEVER gotten below this-EVER) to a size 24. I am now fitting into the 20/22's... Most of the clothes are probably over ten years old (some probably more than 20!) and I wouldn't wear them even if I could fit into them. I am just too lazy and depressed to start tackling the massive job. I know, I just need to start and spend 30 minutes and do a section at a time.

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #470
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome Judy. I hear you about the clothing size ranges. Let's get er' done.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #471
Big Yapper!!!!

Welcome Judy! Time to get back down to those 14's---who cares if they are a bit retro!!

Winifred---glad you were OK. How are things looking for Dr appts/surgeries?

Vicki---are you starting to feel the groove yet?

It's almost Friday it's almost Friday it's almost Friday! Did I mention I'm glad it's almost Friday?!

Have a great weekend ladies and a safe and fun New Year's Eve/Day. I'll set up a new thread on the 1st! Any ideas for names/themes?
Old 12-28-2012, 05:22 AM   #472
Blabbermouth!!!

SALE PENDING!! Now, we are frantically searching. Woot, woot.

No groove yet, but hopefully getting closer.

For a new thread name how about something to do with a fresh start, do-over or something along that line?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #473
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DENMW
Stats: 243/155/139 5'4", Age 62
WOE: Vegan
Just swinging by to wish everyone a Happy and Blessed New Year. I am at my lowest weight I've been since regaining some. I weigh on Jan 1 but as of now I am about 17 lb. away from my goal. I am still in Overeaters Anonymous and have a sponsor and am also sponsoring someone else. I have gained so much more than the weight loss. It is a wonderful program to help me live life to the fullest.

Vicki, you can do it. You've done it before and all you need is a plan.

Be blessed guys!!!
Lost 100 pounds, my story
Old 12-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #474
Major LCF Poster!

Judy glad you joined us.The appt is still set for March and I can't wait.I pray he will say yes and I get my surgery done very soon after that.

I'm excited about pushing on through 2013 and losing as much as I can.I'm gonna believe big and pray boldly.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:41 AM   #475
Blabbermouth!!!

House hunting today and looking at 4 houses. The decision will have to be made today. Closing date for my house is Feb. 15. Nothing like moving mid winter, but I have done it before. However, this time, we are hiring movers.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #476
Big Yapper!!!!

Vicki---congrats on the sale!!! Yes, this is definitely not the best time to move, but then again you will be all settled in by the time you are off this summer and you can enjoy it! Hope you find the home of your dreams! Are you planning to stay in the same town?

Winifred---yay, March is right around the corner! I say dream big---and I hope all your dreams come true!

Linda---- glad things are going well for you!

At the office---my normal 'home' this time of year on Saturday mornings. Come March it should slow down a bit hopefully. Planning on doing some desperately needed cleaning and organizing this weekend so maybe I can start the new year off right! I wanted to take Monday off and have a nice long weekend to do it but it's too crazy here at year end so I'll be here instead. At least I have Tuesday off.

Have a great weekend!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:13 AM   #477
Blabbermouth!!!

Put offer in on a house on Saturday, in the negotiating stage. Hopefully we will find out something this morning.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #478
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy New Year!!!!

Old 12-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #479
Big Yapper!!!!

Happy almost 2013!!

Vicki---so did you find out anything on your offer??

Don't know about anyone else, but this is one year that I am truly glad is over...well, at least almost over! This year has sucked. I'd like to believe next year will be better, guess I'll see soon enough. Drinking homemade wine coolers and eating chocolate---all by my lonesome---cause I really don't care. Hoping to wake up tomorrow with a new attitude!

Have a nice night ladies, and if you are out on the roads---be careful! This is what I like to call 'amature' night!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #480
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Wake up sleepy heads!! New thread as promised:

It's Never Too Late For A Fresh Start

Now go get to posting!
Closed Thread