Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #331
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Good morning!

I got out some of my veggie cookbooks to start looking for some ideas/recipes.

Does anyone have a particular veggie they'd like to explore? We could share tips, nutritional info, cooking info, recipes, etc....

I'll start with some basic info on zucchini. If anyone prefers a different veggie just let me know

Zucchinis are about 95% water--among vegetables, only lettuce contains more water.

Zucchini benefit from dry-heating cooking methods, such as broiling, grilling and sautéing, which will drive off excessive moisture and concentrate their flavor.

The author of this cookbook recommends slicing then salting zucchini to draw out some of the moisture. After an hour or so, rinse the zucchini to wash away the salt and pat dry. This will intensify the flavor.
***I've done this with eggplant but never with zucchini***

Another way, without using salt, is to shred the zucchini with a box grater. Take the shredded zucchini and wring out the excess moisture with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel.

I have a couple of easy recipes for the shredded zucchini if anyone is interested. Shredded zucchini with garlic and herbs OR shredded zucchini with cream and herbs
(The second one is a richer version which would be higher in fat)

Has anyone ever shredded or salted zucchini to intensify the flavor?

WINIFRED..... Teresa has kept this thread going for years. We will make sure to be around to support you and cheer you on thru your surgeries. I am looking forward to reading about your success!
It will make me very happy to know that you are better able to get around and enjoy life with so many loved ones!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #332
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Health benefits of zucchini (summer squash) (from whfoods website)

Health Benefits
As a general rule, summer squash has not been as thoroughly studied from a health benefit standpoint as many of the other World's Healthiest Foods. Much of the research evidence specific to summer squash and its health benefits comes from animal versus human studies, and these research studies often look at squash as an overall food group rather than examining specific benefits from summer (versus winter) squash. However, in spite of these research limitations, there are still well-documented health benefits that are offered to us by summer squash!

Antioxidant Benefits

No category of health benefits from summer squash is better researched than the category of antioxidant benefits. As an excellent source of manganese and vitamin C as well as a good source of vitamin A (through its concentration of carotenoid phytonutrients), summer squash provides us with a great combination of conventional antioxidant nutrients. But it also contains an unusual amount of other antioxidant nutrients, including the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin. These antioxidants are especially helpful in antioxidant protection of the eye, including protection against age-related macular degeneration and cataracts. While we often think first about carrots as providing us with antioxidant-related eye health benefits, we also need to start including summer squash in our list of antioxidant-rich foods that can provide us with health benefits in this area.

If properly handled and prepared, summer squash also provides us with special antioxidant advantages in terms of its antioxidant stability. Recent research has confirmed strong retention of antioxidant activity in summer squash after steaming. Research has also confirmed excellent retention of antioxidant activity in summer squash after freezing. These findings mean that the antioxidant benefits of summer squash are available to us under a wide variety of circumstances. We have the option of enjoying raw summer squash, briefly steamed summer squash, and previously frozen summer squash while still coming away with well-documented antioxidant health benefits.

To obtain full antioxidant benefits from summer squash, we need to eat not only the flesh, but also the skin and the seeds. Many valuable antioxidant nutrients are found in those portions of the food, and studies document their importance in the overall antioxidant activity of summer squash. Purchasing organic summer squash is your best way to lower risk of potentially unwanted contaminants (like pesticides) on the skin of this vegetable. While purchasing organic, it's still worthwhile to use a natural bristle brush and gently cleanse the skin of the summer squash under cold running water.

Blood Sugar Benefits

The list of nutrients in summer squash related to healthy blood sugar regulation is a long one. Metabolism of sugar in the body requires ample presence of many B-complex vitamins, and most of these B-complex vitamins are found in valuable amounts in summer squash. Included here are the B-vitamins folate, B6, B1, B2, B3, and choline. Also important in blood sugar metabolism are the minerals zinc and magnesium, as well as omega-3 fatty acids, and all of these nutrients are provided by summer squash.

A mainstay of dietary protection from type 2 diabetes - as well as a key step in food support of diabetes problems - is optimal intake of fiber. Summer squash not only provides a very good amount of dietary fiber at 2.5 grams per cup, but it also provides polysaccharide fibers like pectin that have special benefits for blood sugar regulation. The pectin polysaccharides in summer squash often include chains of D-galacturonic acid called homogalacturonan. An increasing number of animal studies now show that these components in summer squash help keep insulin metabolism and blood sugar levels in balance, and protect against the onset of type 2 diabetes.

Anti-Inflammatory Benefits

While lacking extensive research documentation, there are several other areas of health benefits from summer squash that are definitely worth noting and that may eventually have strong scientific back-up. The first of these areas involves inflammation-related conditions. The presence of omega-3 fats in the seeds of summer squash, the presence of anti-inflammatory carotenoids like lutein, zeaxanthin and beta-carotene, and the presence of anti-inflammatory polysaccharides like homogalacturonan make this vegetable a natural choice for protection against unwanted inflammation. Several preliminary animal studies show potential anti-inflammatory protection from summer squash for the cardiovascular system and also for the GI tract. (Two special areas of digestive tract interest involve anti-inflammatory protection against gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer.) Insofar as chronic, unwanted inflammation is also a risk factor for development of type 2 diabetes, the anti-inflammatory benefits of summer squash may play an important role in its protection against type 2 diabetes as well.

Antimicrobial Protection

The seeds of summer squash and oils extracted from its seeds have a long history of use in botanical and folk medicine in two areas. The first area involves the anti-microbial properties of summer squash seeds, and especially their anti-parasitic properties. Interestingly, dried summer squash seeds are still used in some parts of the world for treatment of intestinal tapeworms or other intestinal parasites. We have not seen peer-reviewed studies focusing on the antimicrobial benefits of summer squash seeds, but from our perspective, these benefits are unlikely to come from a food approach to summer squash that includes this vegetable in modest amounts as part of a healthy, whole foods diet. Far more likely these benefits will come from a medicinal approach to summer squash that involves consumption of its dried seeds in non-food amounts or extract of oils from those seeds.

Prostate Health Support

The second area of folk medicine use involves non-cancerous enlargement of the prostate gland known as benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH. Seeds of summer squash (and oils from those seeds) have traditionally been used to help lower frequency of urination that is commonly experienced in men diagnosed with BPH. Like the area of anti-microbial benefits, we have not seen peer-reviewed studies focusing on summer squash seeds and their potential benefits in lessening frequency of urination in BPH. But from our perspective, these benefits are also unlikely to come from a food approach to summer squash that includes this vegetable in modest amounts as part of a healthy, whole foods diet. Far more likely these benefits will come from a medicinal approach to summer squash that involves consumption of its dried seeds in non-food amounts or from seed oil extracts.

Anti-Cancer Benefits

The combination of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients in summer squash is a very logical nutrient combination for providing anti-cancer benefits. The development of many cancer types depends on chronic, unwanted oxidative stress that can occur along with poor intake of antioxidant nutrients, and chronic, unwanted inflammation that can occur along with lack of anti-inflammatory nutrients. While we eventually expect to see well-documented anti-cancer benefits from summer squash in large-scale human studies, the anti-cancer research on summer squash is still in a preliminary stage.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #333
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A Few Quick Serving Ideas

Sprinkle grated zucchini or other summer squash on top of salads and sandwiches.
Enjoy an easy to make ratatouille by healthy sautéing summer squash, onions, bell peppers, eggplant and tomatoes and then simmering the mixture in tomato sauce. Season to taste.
Serve raw summer squash with your favorite dips.

To Healthy Saute summer squash, heat 3 TBS of broth (vegetable or chicken) or water in a stainless steel skillet. Once bubbles begin to form add sliced squash, cover, and Healthy Saute for 3 minutes (1-1/2 minutes on one side, and then 1-1/2 minutes on the other side) on medium heat.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #334
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Wow thanks Liz,I love yellow squash and its good for inflammation,diabetes.I will be cooking more squash yellow and green zucchini.How you have a good weekend I might not get to post again till sunday or monday my son has his 3 this weekend and they come over most of the day,he lives the next street over the next block so we are cooking chili tomorrow ,squash and cheese casserole ,probably green beans and some kinda meat to go with the veggies.That will give danny and me about 3 or 4 days of food.The kids enjoy helping and i enjoy teaching them.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #335
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Good morning ladies. My computer is whacked out again. So far I can keep getting back on if I do the restore function (which is a pain) but it never really does the restore thing because the next time I get on I have to start the whole process again.

Liz---I love zuchs! I grate them all the time but I don't know that I've noticed that it intensifies the flavor... But they are so mild that I'm not sure if I'd notice. Sometimes I 'wring' them out, sometimes I don't, depending on what I'm putting them in. If I buy too many zuchs (such as when they are in season and really cheap at the farmers market) I will grate a bunch up and freeze them---then add them mostly to muffins but also to soups and veggie dishes. I would love any recipes that you have!!

Winifred---have a wonderful weekend with the grands! That is so great that you let them help out in the kitchen----lots of kids don't get any of that life skills kind of training any more. They are so lucky to have you!

And yes---as long as someone comes and talks to me---I will be here for a long long time!!

Need to get myself up and going....just can't quite find the motivation today. It's a bit chilly and very gray and rainy. Got the sutures out yesterday and just have to wear a little steri strip over it so I'm not trapped at home all weekend like I expected!

My Dr's nurse gave me some Obagi products yesterday---they (nurse and Dr) are soooo good to me! They are going to be selling them at pretty steep discounts because he bought out part of a spa (actually just like the equipment/inventory/etc) that went out of business and ended up with lots of extra stuff---I'm excited to see what all they have and at what kinds of prices....have I mentioned that I LOVE bargains!!

Speaking of bargains---I'm working on finding some bargains on a couple of 'bigger' purchases right now and did a little research on Crest 3D white stips---the ones that you only do once for 2 hours. I was excited to read that they actually stay on very well for 2 hours and that part isn't a big hassle....however review after review there was 1 common complaint---horrible shooting pain in the teeth and gums that starts a few hours after use and lasts for up to 24 hours!! I am so glad that I did some investigating because I had a good deal figured out for these and was planning to get them tomorrow! I'm still going to get some Crest 3D white strips, but instead it's the ones that are 30 min a day, I think for 20 days---those got fantastic reviews. And I can still get the bargain I was planning for---just not the immediate gratification of whiter teeth in 2 hours. Anyway---have any of you ever tried the 2 hour ones? If so, I would love to hear your experience. And if not but you were thinking about it---I would highly recommend that you read some reviews and even check out some reviews on youtube---scary stuff!!

The other thing I want to buy is basically like a home facial/face scrubber kind of thing... OK---can't think of a better way to describe it but I know Oil of Olay and I believe Nutrogena make these. Going to go read some reviews on those. I remember buying my sister one of these gadgets several years ago for Christmas and the price wasn't too bad...but I can't remember if she ever said if she thought it worked well----guess I need to give her a call.

OK--that's enough of my shopping/bargain banter for now. The rain has let up so I might try to go get a short walk in before it starts coming down again.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #336
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello everybody!
I got a buttercup squash yesterday and I need to figure out what to do with it.

Here are a couple of shredded zucchini recipes:

SHREDDED ZUCCHINI with garlic and herbs
4 medium zucchinis (about 1.5lbs) shredded and squeezed dry
3 tbsp evoo
2 med. garlic cloves, minced
1 - 2 tbsp of fresh herbs chopped
salt pepper

Heat oil and add zucchini and garlic. Stir occasionally until zucchini is tender. About 8 minutes
Stir in the herbs, salt and pepper to taste

SHREDDED ZUCCHINI with cream and herbs
Replace the evoo with 2 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp veg. oil
Omit the garlic
Add 1/4 cup heavy cream along with herb and briefly simmer until cream is absorbed
Old 10-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #337
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA......how are you doing on your steps? I got in my 3000 yesterday but haven't' done much today. I will make myself get up and DO it so that I can report in tomorrow.
So, get up and DO IT!!!

YAY on the free obagi! That stuff is great and very expensive!

I'm glad you researched the whitening strips before buying them! I have had a bad reaction to whitening strips and even a whitening mouthwash. I think it was crest brand. That stuff tore up my mouth and gums. I currently have sores on my mouth/gums that makes it painful to eat.

Let me know if you get the facial scrubber thing. I need to get something like that.

Do you have plans to cook anything good this weekend?

WINIFRED... awww...it sounds like you are in for a fun time with your grands! They are indeed lucky to have you! All of your food sounds so tasty!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #338
Big Yapper!!!!

Ugggggg----been struggling with this dumb computer all evening! I think I may have to reinstall windows....not sure. I'm not sure how I got back in this time. I put the windows disk in but didn't run it---but coincidently I got back in...? The time on it now says 1 hour later than it is...so I'm pretty sure there is still a problem.

Liz---I forgot to tell you thanks for the tip on how to do the cream cheese filling in muffins!! I actually was searching for a way to do that about 6 months ago and what I finally tried was tasty but not the affect I was going for---I think this will do the trick!

As far as steps, I might make it to 6000 today if I'm lucky. That includes a 2 mile walk and shopping, so I definitely am much less active on weekends. I should be OK for the week average though as I got a ton in yesterday. SO---did you get up and DO IT?!

That stinks on having a reaction to the strips and the mouthwash!! I've used both before and do fine with them so hopefully the strips I plan on getting will be OK...we'll see. On the scrubber thing I decided I'm getting the Oil of Olay Pro X...or something like that. Everyone seems to have it for about 30 bucks, a bit cheaper on line but I think I'll get it at Target. They have it out for the 'holidays' and it includes an extra thing of the serum/exfoliator or whatever that stuff is free with it which normally costs 17.00---so 47.00 value for 30, and I just got 35.00 in gift cards from todays shopping trip there---and I also have a 5.00 off coupon for the Pro X.

As far as cooking/baking this weekend....I sadly have no plans at all. I have been doing so horribly in regards to being prepared, which is a total set up for me---especially right now because I am constantly surrounded by food at work. Monday we have breakfast and afternoon treats, along with the 24/7 'snack bar' --and that's just Monday, it will get worse as the week goes on. So I really really need to get a plan together and get my head in a good spot. Tomorrow will have to be about figuring out a menu and getting stuff prepared---otherwise I'm really not going to have any clothes that fit! It sounds weird but I need to get obsessed with food again---I actually do better when I am! I haven't watched the Food Network for ages, haven't done much food shopping, haven't been looking for recipes, etc. etc. Perhaps I need to find a way to split my addiction between couponing and food ---although not couponing for food because most of the best deals on food are for crappy things!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #339
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA...... I'm so sorry you're struggling with your computer again! Did you get it figured out yet?

I did not get up and do it! Shame on me! I was a bit of a slouch and forgot to wear my pedometer. I'm sure I got in at least 1500 steps around the house and going to the store. I'm glad that you came up with the idea of weekly averaging for the steps. I know I can do some extra and still make my goal!

I thought the cream cheese filling idea was pretty clever. It reminds me of making flavored/herbed butters. If you try it, let me know how it works out.

Thanks for the info on the scrubber thing. Please share your review if you buy it.

And PLEASE share how you are getting all of these target gift cards!!!!! I was there today and I'm starting to consider getting a target card to get back 5% Do you use that?

I hope you do get back to your begin obsessed with food again! I love the recipes and ideas you come up with.

I bought a buttercup squash. I can't remember how I dealt with that thing last year. How do you peel it? With a regular peeler? How do you like to cook it?
I appreciate your squash expertise!

I bought some frozen grilled chicken strips at TJ's and they are NASTEEEE.
I think they are called simply chicken. Bleck. I should have just stuck to the list of goodies you gave me. Everything you recommended has been great!

Last edited by healthylowcarbin; 10-14-2012 at 12:47 PM..
Old 10-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #340
Big Yapper!!!!

Howdy...can't believe the weekend is over.

Liz---no clue what is up with this computer---it started up perfectly fine today however that said I can't seem to get Java loaded on it, but otherwise fine???

On the Target gift cards, I stocked up on tons of stuff---feminine products, vitamins, toilet paper....I think that was pretty much it. To find the gc deals, don't just check the weekly ad, always check out the store. For instance they had buy 3 things of stayfree pads and get 5.00 gc and the ad showed a larger package that was 6.99, however in the store there were a lot more choices including smaller quantities that were like 2.97 each---so after doing some calculating the smaller quantities actually came out much cheaper. Also---a lot of times they have gc's for things they don't advertise, usually ones that were advertised in previous weeks that still have the deal going on. I bought Centrum Pro-Nutrient vitamins last week and got gc's and they had them with gc's again this week. They were 9.99 each and you have to buy 2 to get a 5.00 gc---I had 5.00 off coupons so it cost me 10 total and I got a 5.00 gc....pretty darn cheap! I did the same deal again yesterday---I am now stocked up on omegas and probiotics! Anyway, I just kind of wander around and check out the deals. I found some Giovanni facial clensing towelettes for 5.79 each--buy 2 get 5.00 gc. They had little peelie coupons on them for 1.50 off each one so another pretty good deal. Anyway, you get the point, wander and check everything out! And if it's a stock up item, get lots if it's a good deal. They don't seem to have a limit on how many gift cards you can get for any particular item---well they probably do but I doubt I would ever hit that! Also--something to know about Target. If you have buy 1 get 1 free coupons---use them there. Their system always gives you the max value on the coupon, even though their prices are always cheaper. They are well aware of this and occasionally the cashier will take the time to manually enter the correct amount, but I've actually only had that happen once. I've gotten quite a few things absolutely free and even made money off b1g1 stuff as a result. They won't give you cash back, but as long as you are buying other things it will absorb the extra.

Buttercup---well, with any winter squash I cut the ends off first---so the stem and then also slice off the bottom. Then I cut them in half. Then I scoop out all the seeds. Then I peel them. I use a regular peeler although it's a pretty heavy duty one. I made delicata tonight--yum!!

I haven't had the grilled chicken strips from TJ's before--thanks for the heads up! Glad you are enjoying all the stuff you got---what is your favorite??

Steps---my total for the last 6 days is 50,172, so I met my goal of 48,000! My highest day was 11,006 on Friday and my lowest was 5592 yesterday (guess I was tired after Friday ). So my goal this week is an average of 8500 steps per day which would be 59,500. I would bump it up a bit higher but I have no idea what the weather is going to be like so I'm not going to push it!

So what is new in your world? How are you liking your new home/city? Is DH liking his new job/practice? And are you still doing any of the meet ups? I still need to look into that....

OK---nighty night time for me!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #341
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

TERESA...I'm glad your computer is acting better!

Thanks for the info on target gift cards! I've started to shop there more often and will start to pay attention to the signs!
Those are some awesome deals! WOOT! I love a good bargain!!!

Thanks for the info on buttercup! I haven't seen a delicata anywhere yet! I keep looking. Maybe I'll swing by the farmers market today to see if they have them

I LOVE the grilled turkey burgers and turkey meatballs from TJs. The sweet potato chips were also a hit..but I need to limit those due to being a hawg.

I am also really loving the frozen fish from TJs. The salmon and the tuna. the tuna is amazing to grill. it kinda gets an almost beefy flavor.

BRAVO on the steps!!! That is excellent!!!
Now, I have to report mine! I'm did an average of 3256 per day. I will make 3500 my goal for this week.

thanks for the questions! I am loving Memphis! DH likes his new job but is working to get established. I haven't done any new meet ups lately because I've been busy with friends that I've made. Some are thru a meetup group and others are thru my husband's colleagues. I am doing around 4 social type things every week which is great.

I hope you do check into a local meetup! There are some great people out there you can connect with.

I wish we lived closer! I'd love to hang out with you!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #342
Big Yapper!!!!

OK, now my computer is acting up again. Not as bad as last week...yet.

I haven't had the tuna from TJ's--was there a specific brand or can you tell me what the packaging looks like? They have so many kinds of fish, so I want to make sure I get the right one. I've never done tuna on the grill--that sounds YUM!

I'm glad Memphis is working out so well for you! I wish we lived closer too. We still need to get together sometime! It will have to be next year because I have pretty much 'shot' my time off for this year.

YAY on making your steps ---and for pushing it and adding a few more! I checked our weather and it's supposed to rain a couple of days so I'm going to have to bust my butt to get in extra steps on the other days. I kinda like this weekly average too---pushes me and makes me plan. Hmmmm, wonder if I could do that with calories! Actually, that might not be a bad idea...need to think about that a bit.

Well, had a very stressful night of extreme couponing! Seriously, I thought it was funny on those coupon shows when they would talk about how stressful it is and all the planning. Well, I don't do anything near that extreme but I totally get what they are talking about. It's like a full time job---and when you try to plan it things never work out as planned! Oh well, ultimately got some great deals---including the ProX facial thingy. Too tired to try it out tonight but I will soon and let you know what I think. I bought well over 200 bucks worth of stuff today, probably more like 250, and spent less than 45 including tax, and got a thing for 10.00 off and a 5.00 gift card (this was all at K-Mart). So basically I got tons of stuff for the price that the Olay thing alone would have cost me. I definitely scored, but now I'm exhausted. I think I'm going to have to limit my little couponing addiction to 1 day a week---otherwise I think it might take over.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #343
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

I did 3,513 steps yesterday! I had to walk around my house to get the last few in. My husband looked at me like I was nutz for pacing the house

TERESA.... The tuna in a can is TJ's brand with a pinkish/red label. It is solid white tuna in water no salt added. This stuff is great! Large chunks of tuna without the soybean oil or salt. I got twice as much from this can as I do from the WF's brand of tuna (which also costs more). The WF's tuna is in small pieces and floating in liquid. The TJ's tuna has very little liquid and is larger tasty chunks. I think that can was under $2

The tuna that we grill is from the freezer. TJs has amazing ahi tuna that is vacuum packed. It was $5.49 per pound. We buy ahi tuna at costco (as a rare treat because of the cost). That tuna is now over $12 per lb! I've seen it for over $20 per lb!!!! And it is not as good as TJs. The costco tuna is thicker and small pieces. TJs has thinner pieces which I think are ideal for grilling.
If you haven't tried grilled tuna fillets you are in for a treat! AMAZING! I find that it doesn't have any fishy taste and it almost has a meaty taste and texture.
If you grill it just rub the tuna with a bit of oil and salt and pepper. Nothing else is needed. I do use soy sauce and teriyaki sometimes for even more amazing flavor but plain grilled tuna is quite tasty.
It also cooks very nicely on the stove. I will usually do that with a bit of pasture butter and evoo.

Quote:
weekly average...Hmmmm, wonder if I could do that with calories! Actually, that might not be a bad idea...need to think about that a bit
I've had the same exact thought the last few days! It really helps with my perfectionist, all or nothing thinking to NOT put strict limits on a 24 hour accounting of both exercise and food. Our bodies don't keep track in that way...so why should we? It allows me to not feel like I've blown it when I've had a less than perfect day and gives me the incentive to do better the next day.

YES we definitely need a get together! I would love for you to come to Memphis anytime! We would have a blast!

haha on the extreme couponing! Shopping can be exhausting! WTG on racking up the awesome deals! :jump joy:

Did you end up cooking anything? Any plans to make anything yummy? I'm patiently waiting for you to get your cooking mojo back!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #344
Big Yapper!!!!

Yeah, the frozen tuna is what I want to try---grilling it sounds great! But now you have me curious about the canned too---I've never tried theirs. Canned tuna is yet another one of those low carb staples for me....like butter, cream cheese, pb, etc.,---I always have a ton on hand! So as soon as my supply runs low I'm going to try theirs out.

Yay on the steps!! I'm definitely not going to make mine today, but yeah---the weekly average makes that OK. Interesting you brought up the all or nothing thinking though because that is so me when it comes to exercise (and eating and lots of things!). However, I knew that I wouldn't get many steps in today but I didn't give up and say 'screw it' I just kept trying to get in little bits of extra walking when I could because I knew there would be much less for me to try to make up later. It really does seem like that might help with eating too. Reality, if I could just pay better attention to my hunger and be more consistent with 'honoring' it I believe that it would naturally work that way---but I'm not there yet. Maybe giving myself a calorie 'allotment' for the week would help me work towards finding that balance. Hmmmm.... I don't want to do any serious measuring or tracking but I pretty intuitively have that down so I think I could do it without getting all scientific about it. Thinking.....

I didn't cook anything too exciting this weekend. Grilled up a bunch of meats and veggies and made a crustless pumpkin gooey cake (so basically just pumpkin goo ) that I've been eating with Greek yogurt for breakfast. I didn't however make any desserts for lunches or dinners. I need to either quit eating desserts (which I'm pretty sure will never happen ) or I need to go back to eating everything homemade because I am relying too much on processed stuff for desserts---and no matter how little processing is involved, or how organic and/or natural it is---it just isn't what I need to be eating everyday and I'm pretty sure eating that kind of stuff so frequently is setting off cravings....yet I keep doing it because it's easier. So this weekend I need to do much better with preparing a lot of stuff. My freezer is actually only about 1/2 full right now so I have room to make some extra stuff and freeze it....just need to find the desire....sigh......

OK---I maybe get a headache once a year and today is my day. I thought once I ate dinner that would help but it didn't. I just took 2 acetaminophen and after taking them something on the bottle caught my eye---I took the P.M. version! So I'm either going to pass out very soon, or since I often have the opposite reaction to meds I'll be up all night. I need to go check the date on them. I'm assuming I bought these when I had one of my surgeries and since I never take this kind of stuff I'm hoping they are really old and just won't have much impact---although it would be lovely if they got rid of my headache.

I will definitely come visit ya in Memphis! I need to start watching for 'cheap' flights after the first of the year...well cause as you know I love a bargain!

Well, in the 10 min since I took the meds my headache is starting to go away. Now the question is, will I fall asleep in the next hour (which means I would wake up around 1am ) or will I be up all night??? Tune in tomorrow for the answer to that question!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #345
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

I did 3979 steps yesterday! I also was 100% on plan with woe! I love good days like that!

Today I'm going to a gourmet cooking club luncheon. It is a group of ladies who are into cooking and sharing gourmet food. Each month a different lady hosts the lunch and she has 2 helpers to bring dessert and appetizers. So, the food is fantastic and the company is great too! I plan to really enjoy the food without worrying about the nutritional aspects. I am keeping a balance in my head and will adjust by eating a very light supper.
Quote:
I'm definitely not going to make mine today, but yeah---the weekly average makes that OK. Interesting you brought up the all or nothing thinking though because that is so me when it comes to exercise (and eating and lots of things!). However, I knew that I wouldn't get many steps in today but I didn't give up and say 'screw it' I just kept trying to get in little bits of extra walking when I could because I knew there would be much less for me to try to make up later. It really does seem like that might help with eating too. Reality, if I could just pay better attention to my hunger and be more consistent with 'honoring' it I believe that it would naturally work that way---but I'm not there yet. Maybe giving myself a calorie 'allotment' for the week would help me work towards finding that balance. Hmmmm.... I don't want to do any serious measuring or tracking but I pretty intuitively have that down so I think I could do it without getting all scientific about it. Thinking.....
That is what I'm talking about! Balance is a great thing. I think that many naturally thin people do this.

My all or nothing thinking has thrown me off the wagon too many times to count.

I do plan to eat 100% healthy, whole foods 90% of the time.

I hope your headache resolved AND you were able to get some sleep. How did you end up sleeping?

Unfortunately Memphis airport is one of the most expensive in the country. Delta almost has a monopoly here so most of the other major airlines don't come here. Maybe if we look far in advance you can find a good price. Let me know what kind of deals you're finding. Do you have any airline miles?

So, what kind of stuff are you planning to make this weekend? How about finding something new to make that might get you motivated? Or would you just stick with old favorites?
Your pumpkin goo sounds tasty with greek yogurt. I bet a few toasted walnuts would be a nice addition. Do you ever eat nuts like that?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #346
Big Yapper!!!!

Happy Hump Day all!!

Liz---YAY on having a great day and going over on your steps!! Your lunch sounds fun! What did you end up eating? Did you have to take anything?

You know, my headache went away but I didn't get sleepy until my normal time so I don't think the sleep part of it did anything for me which is fine since that wasn't what I meant to take in the first place!

Airline miles....ummmm, yeah, but I have no idea how many, how to claim them, if they're still good---I have never used any of my miles even though I know at one point I was getting them. I wouldn't even know where to start to find that out? I remember years ago when I went out of the country every year for several years I had a lot---but I never had any clue how it all worked and didn't pay any attention to it. Guess I wasn't a bargain girl at that time!

The pumpkin stuff is sooooooo good! Way better than pumpkin cheesecake because of the butter. I use 'cake' spice in it so it's really spicy and then the tangy yogurt (which I don't sweeten when I put it on this) is like a perfect balance to it. I don't do walnuts at all---I've tried since I've read about how healthy they are but the only actual nuts I like are almonds and pistachios---but I rarely eat either anymore. I of course like peanuts, but they're supposedly not a nut---but they're called peaNUTS so I count them as nuts.

So do you have any plans for Halloween? I rarely ever do anything 'Halloweeny' anymore but I'm going to a haunted house with a couple of friends Friday night! I love scary stuff and apparently this is a pretty good one, guess we'll see.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #347
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Howdy!

TERESA ....I'm glad your headache went away and you weren't up all night due to meds.

How were you getting airline miles? Through a credit card? If you know which one you can call and check your balance. They are good for quite some time. Even if you don't have enough for a flight you can use some of them to buy things or get gift certificates (if they are thru amex card)

My DH LOVES pistachios! Well, he really loves all nuts but those are his favorites.

No plans for Halloween but passing out candy. We have landscape lights that are on a timer so the house is really lit up. I can't just turn out the lights and pretend that I'm not home I've been told that a lot of people come to our neighborhood to trick or treat. I'm not sure but I sure hope someone comes to get the candy! I've bought candy before in our old house and did not have ONE trick or treater. It was just ME and a big bag of chocolate. Not a good match

The lunch was a lot of fun. It was very good food but massive carb overload! spinach soufflé stuffed mushrooms, mixed green, feta, pear, almonds, cranberry salad, croissants, amazing bow tie pasta with artichokes, chicken, spinach and a creamy sauce and THEN the most amazing dessert! A homemade apple tart with homemade apple bourbon ice cream and whipped cream. OMG.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #348
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm so glad it' Thursday!! And actually, it's almost over!!

Liz---your lunch sounds great! A bit carby, sure, but still lots of healthy great choices.

Me and a bag of chocolate on Halloween would also not be a good plan!

OK---gotta go, I have to keep re-typing every word, something weird is going on with my keyboard and it has taken me about 10 min to just type this sentence.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #349
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA......so sorry you're still dealing with computer issues! How frustrating!! We switched to a Mac computer and never have issues. Knock on wood...I hope I'm not setting myself up for problems
It has been almost a year with no problems! I got SO sick of dealing with windows issues. I now understand why folks say, "once you go mac you never go back". I know that is probably not helpful to you now (sorry) but please keep that in mind when it comes time to look into a new computer system. I have talked to a lot of people who switched from PC to Mac and I have never heard ONE person say they regret it.

Sorry for the computer rant! PC problems really suck!!!!! I hope you get it resolved soon. Do you still have the neighbor guy to help??

I did over 7,000 steps yesterday! I went shopping at the mall. I didn't buy much but I enjoyed getting in the steps

I have a lot of stuff going on today and this weekend. I'll try to sneak in and do some quick posts.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #350
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning---Happy Saturday!!

At the office, but only planning to clean up my office and some e-mails so no difficult thinking involved. Tried to post last night from home but whatever is going on with my computer was maddening so I just gave up. I finally ran something that had popped up several times the last couple of weeks saying I had 'malicious hardware' or something like that on it. I had been avoiding it because it seems like those are actually often viruses or trojans or whatever the heck those things are. Figured I didn't have much to lose so after searching on-line a bit to see if I could find anything about it being something bad--and finding nothing--I did it. I went to bed assuming I would end up having to re-load windows this weekend and/or get a new computer---but tada---I got right in when I turned it on this morning! I didn't have much time to play around so who knows if that really fixed it but I have a little hope now!

Liz---yep, all the Mac folks I know would never go back to anything else. I'm just so not technically inclined so having to learn a different system--because there are some differences I hear--doesn't appeal to me. But I probably could be convinced otherwise. I've used the computers at my sisters (all Mac's) and no problem, just a little different, but that has just been little stuff---checking in here or my e-mail---but maybe it's not all that different....it's not like I'm doing programming or something!

BRAVO on the steps!!! It's amazing how many steps you can get just shopping. Not like the grocery store shopping so much as mall shopping or doing multiple errands---that definitely adds up! So did you find some shoes while you were shopping?

I'm going to have to look at my pedometer right now and see where I am with steps for the week. I think I'm OK as I have had some days that were pretty high but I guess I better make sure so I can get enough in this weekend! Hmmmmm.....just calculated and I'm averaging around 9100 a day (need 8500), but since I don't typically get in as much on the weekends I guess I better plan to take a walk or two.

OK---well on to cleaning up my messy little office. I wish I had a camera here---I would open up one of my cabinets and take a picture of all the candy and junk food that has 'invaded' my space! I've actually done pretty well with it not bothering me but I have another 2+ months to go! I'm sure I've mentioned before---holiday candy (especially on sale or in this case free since it's on the company dime) is my BIGGEST WEAKNESS!!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #351
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh---and for those of you that 'coupon', Walmart has a new policy as of a few days ago. If the coupon doesn't scan and/or the system beeps---they will not manually enter them! Luckily---couponing at Walmart is really not all that great of a deal so I haven't bought much there but I do get a lot of junk for work there, that's how I found out. The checker told me the new policy when I handed him about 10 coupons. He was so nice though---all but 2 of the coupons beeped but he kept at it, trying them every which way that he could and he managed to get all of the coupons to go through. But personally---if I were doing a lot of couponing there for myself or using any 'high value' coupons....I would go somewhere else because I doubt all their staff are going to be that diligent, especially if they are busy.

That's my couponing tip for the day!

Last edited by Teresa123; 10-20-2012 at 08:12 AM..
Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #352
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello!

I had less steps yesterday but I know my average for the week will work out and I will make my goal. It is a great help for me to report here for the accountability

WTG on the steps Teresa! You're doing great!
Yeah, I have been surprised how the steps can add up. When i go to the store I park far away in the parking lot and I walk around a bit in the store.

I'm SO glad that your computer issue seems to be better today after downloading a mystery program Did you have to pay for the program?

I wasn't too keen on having to learn a new system (from windows to mac os) either but I think it is quite user friendly. I've had to do googles on a few things and I can always quickly find the answer (like how to eject a CD...there is no button thing on the computer)
I hope when you are ready to buy a new computer you will strongly consider a mac. Believe me, the learning curve is MUCH easier than dealing with chronic computer issues.

So, what are you planning to do with all of that holiday candy? I could deal with it when I'm feeling strong...but if I was having a hard day it would be tough.

Thanks for the tip on walmart & coupons. There is a super target right across the street from walmart so I rarely go anymore. I am finding that many of the things that I buy are just as cheap at target Target, to me, is so much cleaner, better stocked and organized.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #353
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DENMW
Stats: 243/155/139 5'4", Age 62
WOE: Vegan
Hi everyone, just stopping by to say hello and check on everyone. Liz, I love summer squash and don't buy it very often. I'm off to get it tomorrow. I have been using coconut oil on my veggies and baked potato. I'm loving my vegan food plan and still stay lowfat but I do have 1 T. organic flaxseed oil per day (1/2 T for lunch and dinner on salad). Flaxseed oil helps with inflammation. I use 1/2 - 1 T CO a day. I had to go back to day one on the HOW program after 91 days and my sponsor had to let me go because in HOW after you have 3 slips, you have to get a new sponsor. I was very upset as I had a sponsor I had a strong connection with. I just didn't have it in me to get a new one. I'm not sure what I will do but I'm doing well with my food and I'm the lowest weight I've been in a long time and just 18 lb. away from my goal again. Have a great weekend everyone.
Lost 100 pounds, my story

Last edited by DENMW; 10-20-2012 at 05:22 PM..
Old 10-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #354
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Winifred, best of luck with gastric bypass option. I had mine done in 2001. I have to do low carb to keep the weight off. I have proven that to myself a couple of times. Now if I can only grasp it again
Old 10-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #355
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Hi,just checking in,nothing new on this end.How is everyone doing?
Old 10-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #356
Big Yapper!!!!

Good evening ladies! Nice to see some faces we haven't seen in awhile!!

I'm going to have to find time in the mornings at work to check in, cause this computer is not cooperating! 5 attempts to get in tonight and I'm finally here. This weekend I tried several times but it was a busy busy weekend and I didn't have enough time to mess with it.

Liz---the holiday candy and all the other junk is for the team. We try to keep them fed and happy at this time of the year because they are pulling a lot of overtime to get the work done....and food is pretty much always the best motivator!

Steps for last week---total was 69234. Can't remember what the total was I was going for but I know it was an average of 8500 per day and my actual average was 9890! I was worried about the weekend but Fri, Sat and Sun ended up being well over 10,000 each day so no sweat. This weeks goal is still going to be 8500 a day because I'm going to be out of town part of the weekend and not sure what the plans will be....and although the weather is great right now---upper 70's and 80's, it's supposed to plummet on Thursday and the highs through the weekend are only supposed to be mid 40's!! So anyway, 8500 per day average is what I'm going for. Now that said I totally forgot to wear my pedometer today however I'm giving myself credit for 8500 because it has been another busy day including doing errands at lunch and taking a walk tonight so I know I got at least that much in.

OK---since I've been pretty much without a computer for the last few days I have lots of stuff to do and check on before heading to bed. Hope you all check in again soon!!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #357
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry im MIA
Super bad migraine
On new meds hoping for relief
will check in later
Old 10-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #358
Big Yapper!!!!

Hope you feel better soon!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #359
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa123 View Post
Hope you feel better soon!
Thanks!

I am finally over my migraine! This was one of the worst ones ever. I would wake up in the middle of the night with the room spinning, nausea and HORRIBLE head pain. I seriously felt so bad that I wondered if I was dying. I am SO grateful to not have that kind of pain/suffering very often

I did not do any walking for a few days so my steps are short for the week.
Tomorrow is a new day and I will increase my steps to 4000 per day for the rest of the week

TERESA>....how is the computer acting?
WTG on getting all of those steps! You're doing great! KUTGW

WINIFRED....howdy! Glad you checked in. How are you doing? Any more news on when/if you can get the surgeries?

VICKI>.... Hey there! I hope you're doing well.

LINDA... I tried to call you before my monster migraine. I'll try again. BRAVO on your fantastic weight loss and healthy eating!!!!!! I'm SO SO SO proud of you!!!! I'm sorry about your sponsor. I hope you're able to find someone else to connect with.
Please come and post more! We could use your great success as an inspiration!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #360
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Well, doing better. Not going to celebrate quite yet. Easing back in slowly.
Closed Thread